Aberrant: Mutant High - Ultimate Aberrant: OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave is moving furniture, so I'll be relaying his replies for you :)

Does Eufibre exist in this setting?

Also - it would be great if there were a character profile thread.

No, eufiber does not exist. There are alternatives, however, posted here: http://www.rpgpost.com/topic/7211-ua-gadgetry-headquarters/

For the record, though, no one should be starting with this, since no one should have a uniform yet... no one's part of a superhero team at the moment.

We'll be setting up something for character profiles, no worries.

Dave, if we have a previously approved PC with no changes, do we need to resubmit to you?

If there are no changes, no you don't need to resubmit the PC. If you've revised anything, you only need to send Dave the changes you've made. They're still approved for play and activity, pending a discussion with Dave about what, precisely, has been changed.

Dave, I still have the old character thread for Josh in my PM's. Would you like me to reinvite you so that you can see him again?

Yes, please.

Just a reminder to everyone, and a recap for the newer peeps.

Mutant High is not a nova game. There are a TON of mutants that you will encounter that have little more than baseline soak scores. Sure their powers might pack a punch, but they themselves are mostly squishy. Obviously exceptions exist, but keep in mind that I have to scale the power of the NPCs (of which 24 are statted out and over 50 more are on the menu) to the power of the players. The math on this is simple if I put all the heavy hitters in one group and all the light weights in another than balancing is easy.

I don't do it that way.

As some of you know, I blend everyone together and this means that the heavy hitter will be mingled in with the lightwieghts. This is not punishment to anyone for making a lightweight or making a combat focused character, it's simple logic. Just because all the Combat Monsters are hanging out together doesn't mean the world will hand them a fair challenge. You will all have to learn how to function as a team in order to be victorious. You will have to think of something other than yourself because I'll be honest with you, if one of the baddies is a heavy hitter, I've no qualms about knocking one of the light weights out in a single hit. It's tactically a good call and the only thing would stop me from pulling such a stunt is the over all effectiveness of the enemy group (are they smart enough to use those sorts of tactics?).

On the plus side, you can't not die.

One more time: You can not die.

No matter how bad I beat you, or how bad you beat the enemy, no 'named' NPC will die unless it's scripted. That's not to say you won't have to go home and lick your wounds (the more severe the beating the longer the healing) and the same goes for the bad guys. The kicker is, that only applies for named NPCs and you, the players. That does not apply for all the helpless people caught in the middle of the fights. If you're careless or you just don't care, innocent people can, and will get caught in the crossfire and I will hold the PC responsible accountable (which is why I tried to talk some of you into bashing damage instead of lethal). Try to think less like a nova guys and more like a teenager with incredible powers.

And most of all, have fun.

And the Ice Queen is back.. though that's not exactly the best discription for her personality, though it does fit her powers..

Looking at her sheet, I may have to fiddle with it a little, I imagine you'd like me to send it too you, Dave.. or are we doing it differently?

Returning:

Sonja - Asarasa

Kia - SalmonMax

Morri - Dawn

Alex - Ein

Warren - Dave

Hotstreak - Long

Oneca - Malachite

Josh - Stargaizer

Cirque - Jasmyne

Curtis - Jeremy

Glacia - Krul

New:

Ishvara - Varro

Caitlin - Vivi

Sakurako - Kamiko

Gold - WhiteRain

Natalie - Abyss

That's 16 players. Which means that the plot threads, which are more like adventures since there is no over-arching plot, with likely average around 4-5 players per thread. Sometimes I will assign the teams based on what will be needed for the adventure and other times I'll simply post and allow people to volunteer. Also, sometimes, all the threads may venture into a single adventure where all your efforts are leading to one ultimate conclusion.

For now I have 4 threads planned and they will be as follows:

The Day of the Dreadnoughts (4 slots) - A rehash of the original ST thread, while enjoying some quiet time in the city, 4 students are attacked by mutant hunting machine. Heavy Role-Play / Very Easy Combat

Dante's Inferno (4 slots) - A few students decide to hang out at Dante's, a mutant only night club (with no age restrictions, since mutants aren't bound by human laws), but what happens when a few of the other patrons have a problem with them and won't accept diplomacy as a solution? Heavy Role-Play / Easy Combat

"Relax, We're the Good Guys" (Gold, 3 slots) - A young mutant (Gold) is being hounded by mysterious pursuers. Director Drumm ask for a couple of volunteers to pick him up and offer him refuge within the walls of the Academy... with the students make it in time and can they handle themselves against Gold's mysterious hunters. Heavy Role-Play / Easy Combat (Bonus XP too, if you can manage it...)

The Lion, The Wench and the Warzone (Caitlin, 3 Slots) - A.E.G.I.S. come to call when Director Drumm and a few of his students visit the young mutant Caitlin and her family to offer an invitation to his Academy. Can the small groups withstand the training of an entire A.E.G.I.S. Spec Ops squad and their penultimate mutant hunter? Heavy Role-Play / Moderate Combat

Below simply place a post for which you'd prefer to be in. Note that it is not 'First Come First Served', if I feel your PC would be petter placed in a different thread that is lacking a skill set you possess, than I will move you. I will try to accommodate the best I can, however. :)

Obviously Gold and Caitlin are already assigned to theirs, so if I get a reply from them, I'mna slap em'.

Anything except the Lion,Wench,Warzone would be fine with me. I could see Kia in any of those first three situations.

Dreadnoughts or Dante's would be the best fits, but they both seem equally suited. Good Guys is still good, though there's nothing in Kia's background to explain why Drumm would pick her for that assignment...

I just want to put my roffling on record at What Could Go Wrong, with Hino changing rooms away from Curtis pre-emptively.

Poor Curtis. People can feel the Jerkness even before he's met them!

Heeee heeee

Kia will be your friend. Kia is everyone's friend. That way no one suspects her when they start disappearing, one by one...

>:)

I can see Sonja being in pretty much any of the threads. She's been a student at LHA for two and a half years and is reasonably responsible and tries to helpful, so Lion/Wench/Warzone or Good Guys work (though I think the first one is better). Despite Oneca's very kind gift, Sonja probably still needs some things, so going back to the city is good too, and I think she might be one of the only ones with an actual car. ;) (though with less room for whoever sits behind her now), so Day of the Dreadnoughts is a go. And just so show Oneca she isn't a stick in the mud and knows how to have fun, she'd be up for some Dante action. Actually, she could really do with a good time clubbing...

So in order:

The Lion, the Wench, and the Warzone

Dante's Inferno

Day of the Dreadnaughts

Relax, we're the Good Guys

But I'm amendable to being placed in any thread you want Sonja in to balance things out.

Oneca would be totally up for Dante's Inferno, though she's less likely to want to go if Revenant isn't also going.

I think Drumm is intelligent enough to keep her out of any 'first contact' situations with other mutants (especially ones likely to involve combat and the need for self-control), so I'd say her second option would be Day of the Dreadnaughts.

I wouldn't put it past Prof. Jensen to assign Josh to leave the school and socialize. So, Day of the Dreadnaughts. Though I could also see him being in a first encounter, so either of those would do for a second choice.

It might be interesting to see how Josh would handle combat...

I need to ask people to stop writing for Morri unless they clear it with me first. At this stage in her development, she's very hard to write properly. I'm going to use Curtis' post as an example but I don't want him to think he's the only person doing it or that I'm angry about it. I know how hard she is write. I'm trying to help, not hate. i'll also explain why she would or wouldn't do each thing so that people can learn. So with that in mind:

"Promise?" The caramel feral asked, fixing her gaze on him to ensure Alex fed himself to survive. "Promise." Was the answer.

Morri wouldn't ask someone to confirm what they've said. The logic of that is thus: she'd never assume that someone was lying to her unless they'd proven themselves to be a liar. Alex could tell her that he raped a puppy, and she'd believe him because he's never been caught lying to her before. So she'd never feel it necessary to confirm what she'd just been told by someone she trusts.

"How can scratching build thing? And tests for people." Morri piped up, looking at Curtis more like he was stupid, than jerk now.

This sentence is very complex for Morri. The first one has extra words, though to be honest, she probably wouldn't have said anything at all. She has no idea what a forensic lab is and moreover wouldn't care. It's something that Curtis is talking about and she knows that a lab is something science-related. She distrusts labs because of her experience with them in Vyse's care. To her, Curtis doing lab work fits right in with what she knows about him. Next, she doesn't use the word 'and' yet. Linking two thoughts into one is fairly complex, linguistically. So all conjunctions are out. She knows that people get tested, and it'd have been stated as 'Only people test'.

For those who want to attempt writing for her (with the understanding to clear it with me), the best rule for her is to take everything literally and write like a two years old would speak. She uses small sentences, breaking each down into a discrete thought. She also doesn't understand all the words out there or all their meanings. The most obvious example of this is "he rubs me the wrong way" being turned into 'bad-touch', a literal action that occurred in her mind. Also, proper verb tenses are shaky for her.

Again, I'm not attempting to be a bitch. I know she's hard to write for, so I have to ask people to just not write for her unless they can talk to me. At least until her linguistics skill improves. I hope this helps!

Archived