Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Has anyone besides me noticed that Fox has a sense of humor in his assignments?

Caine and Olivia are sparking the seeds of future whoopee...The General tells us no fraterniziing but the end up on the same team...*cough.* smile The we have both Hawke and Wolfe on the same team which just sounds freakin awesome and of course Kyria is on my team...my character just happens to bring up bad memories for her...oh the seeds of drama!

Lastly...Andrew Fischer on the same team as Taylor Price....Fischer-Price anyone??? laugh

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually will not be reading the other teams very often, unless something super cool is going on. No disrespect to the authors, of course, but if Jaunt's not there it will make it more interesting and immersive for me (and Jaunt) to find out what's going on directly from the sources.

Regarding the SG23 billiard room. I am working with Long on filling in the blanks for my two weeks. Hawke and Wolfe are going to do a little rp in between and I want to get that done before I go into the room.

I am also hoping to work in something with two other characters to get mysefl caught up and have a better feel for my character and how he interacts.

Has anyone read/enjoyed Brayden's thread yet? I ask because I have put so much into it and I feel like I put these words out there but there is no way to know if anyone else even cares...especially in light of my recent "reform" that I posted about in the Open Letter Thread...

Originally Posted By: Luchian
Might I ask that everyone in SG24 (if not everyone) post a Character Profile? It would be incredibly handy. We do have a lot of characters. Maybe Fox has mad skillz and can keep track without assistance, but not all of us are so adept.

I know it took me a while to post one, so it's not like I'm blameless for not making use of the option, but we're getting things underway now, and it'd be nice to have reference material. It'll probably only get more confusing once we start meeting (more) alien NPCs, etc.

Everyone but Omar has a profile up already

Forge:

Quote:
Throw +1 Diff, Rear Attack -2 Diff.

Forge, rear attacks give +2 dice not -2 difficulty.

It should be noted that Aberrant does not use "reduce difiiculty" to reduce the target number the way you can in their oWoD games. Reducing diifculty only means anything if their were additional difficulty modifiers in the first place...

Just watching the first episode of Sg-1 (I've never seen the show before).

Noted a couple things already.

1.) In the initial movie I asked myself..."why do they have to rely on Daniel to open the Stargate to go home? Why couldn't command at Earth just tell them they would open a gate back to them at regular intervals." Then in the movie one of the characters says "no it doesn't work like that...we have to open the gate here..." Which made no sense to me. Like...HUGE gaping plot hole. Now in the series it turns out I am correct. The Stargate can be opened from either side. The General even tells O'Neill that he has 24 hours before they open the gate and send another bomb through.

2.) A matter of personal taste. I really hate the Jaffa's serpent masks...They aren't animated like the ones in the movie...they are just static faces. They also come down over the shuolder giving them that stiff "must turn whole body to look around" effect like the clunky batman suits in the orginal Burton and Schumacher movies. Lastly I was dissapointed when they opened up like clunky tin cans rather than "morph" away like nano-tech. It was odd that a Goa'uld would actually come through the gate rather than just sending his minions and that he would have them open their helmets and reveal themselves...that was just odd.

Overall there seems to be a bit of cheese-factor although Fox tells me if I can just grin and bear it to the 3rd season it is all worthwhile...

I can see it now... after having watched every episode we now will have to deal with Sky correcting us on not only our die rolls, and making sure we're following the rules to the letter but now we'll have to make sure we follow the SG Universe to the letter as well...

It a television show and an old movie. Seriously, watch it, enjoy it, and get over it.

Sky - the reason they have to open the wormhole from Abydos to get home is because in the movie -and- the tv series, wormholes are uni-drirectional.

Earth can open a second wormhole to send a bomb through, but the people on Abydos can't use that wormhole to get back to Earth. They have to dial out of Abydos to be able to use the Stargate to go to any other planet. That's why they had to have Jackson.

Apophis was coming through with his Jaffa at the beginning for two reasons: 1) He's an arrogant f*ck with a personal shield and way too much free time on his hands. 2) He wanted to personally inspect the populations for suitable host options for Amunet and Klorel.

Thanks for the info Kyria! I still don't quite understand about the gate though...Apophis and his Jaffa come through the gates they open and then walk right back in. It would sem that if someone opens a gate to a place from another place that one could just walk right in after them and ened up wherever they came from...or am I still not understanding?

The snake helmets are growing on me just a little...do they other Jaffa helmets? Do the Anubis and Horus masks from the movie return at all?

Lastly, why is it that in the TV show, there is a DHD that wasn't in the room in the movie? Did Jackson find it and install it?

The one-way nature of the stargates was really glossed over in the movies, but the TV show spent more time on that sort of thing (as it really had to, since the gates play a much larger part in the events shown). Basically, matter can only pass from the dialing gate to the dialed gate. Certain types of radiation can pass both ways, like radio waves and, as we learn in one episode, gravitation.

As for the helmets, it's a TV show. They didn't have millions of bucks for a special effects house and morphing effects. They did what they could with what they had. The budget actually got better as they went, and some of the space fights in the mid to late seasons are pretty cool.

Nope - that's a mistake they made given what they explain later. They do it a couple of times because otherwise the story gets all complicated with having to take over the SGC and dial up home for the bad guys. *shrugs* It's a show, it happens. Especially at the beginning.

Both Anubis and Horus Jaffa complete with masks make appearances in the show, along with a few others.

As for the DHD, yes. He explains finding it during the year he was on Abydos in like the first five minutes of being onscreen. He didn't 'install' it, either. Just found it and figured out what it was.

SM- Black holes are tasty.....

Physics. Apparently Wormholes are one way matter streams that's why it is important to be able to open the gate from the other side. Radio waves and such can go both ways.

Dude, TV show has a much smaller budget than a movie. Can afford to CGI every Jaffa when they will be having them in the series by the hundreds.

Apophis didn't really know he was coming to earth, he was hitting stargate addresses that he got from taking over Ra's holdings after his death. He was exploring them one by one looking for goodies to take. At that point Apophis and the other system lords didn't even know Ra had been killed, they thought it was a freak accident that he died. This according to the materials in the Stargate RPG core book.

Keep in mind things like budget, writers, and all the other wonderful stuff. Sometimes the helmets don't move because they can't afford to make them move. Sometimes continuity is messed up because one of the Star Trek Voyager writers manages to sneak in and fuck up an episode. And sometimes... they just forget.

Apophis isn't really an arrogant fuck who wanted to make a statement, it's simply what the character was written to do so Sci-Fi geeks everywhere could cream their jeans over his perceived audacity.

If you really wanna wrap your mind over some physics that makes absolutely no sense try these: A man who can become invisible, a kid who can move around wile ignoring the intervening space between his destinations, or a guy who has become a bio-organic crystal.

I mean, c'mon... if you're fretting over a few over sights in simple wormhole physics (which is all speculation to begin with) then we're all going to be committed and wrapped up in pretty lil jackets that let us hug ourselves by the end of the first mission.

I'm with Dave on this one. Even commenting about continuity and believability in a sci-fi game you yourself are playing is kinda like kicking yourself in the nuts while walking a high wire. It's cool if that's your thing, but don't shake the wire for the rest of us. laugh

Originally Posted By: Owns-The-Night
I'm with Dave on this one. Even commenting about continuity and believability in a sci-fi game you yourself are playing is kinda like kicking yourself in the nuts while walking a high wire. It's cool if that's your thing, but don't shake the wire for the rest of us. laugh

I get that...but you have to admit some sci fi series are better than others when it comes to that kind of thing. If there was a way it all made sense I was curious. Now that I know it in non-sensical I will stop attempting to analyze it.

A small thing, but I feel a strong need to bring it up. Sorry I didn't before, but I didn't notice.

Originally Posted By: SkyLion

I would be interested in connecting with Dec since both of us are really skilled trained assassins and my character is almost as freaky with arguably freakier eyes...

A few things to bear in mind. They might seem like small distinctions, but they're important:

1) Declan was not trained to be an assassin. He was trained to be a soldier. He's a killer as a result of the highly unethical experiment and the effect it has had on his broken mind. He is depressive, combat-shocked and will probably go to pieces the first time he's under serious threat. The nature of what was done to him means that when he snaps, he will kill everything that could possibly be a threat to him with about as much emotion as a robot would have.

2) Once the fight is over, he will be broken up at the loss of life. He will probably even be suicidal depending on the situation, especially if he killed people on 'autopilot'. He's not an amnesiac with no frame of reference other than hazy memories, he's a combat veteran who has seen lots of people blown to pieces around him and is soul-sick as a result.

3) It's not about who's freakier. Declan's outward signs of the Taint social penalty are mainly manifested in eyes that remain reflections of the killer inside him, even when the rest of his face is animated as normal. It makes normal humans feel mortal, and he's painfully aware that they shun him. He's supposed to be a person struggling to make something positive of his existence while preserving what's left of his sanity.

Sorry if that came off as a rant, but it looked to me as though you had a couple of misconceptions. Now I think some potential byplay between our characters could be fun, so lets see how it develops smile

Also, people can reach the same height of ability, but through very different avenues. You, SkyLion, were given your ability over months of torture. The device made you more effective, but you are still the same person. Declan's comes from a combination of years of military service and one touch of a device.

In 1950, both the United States and the Soviet Union were Global Superpowers. They were not friends and did not get along. In fact, they were often in opposition to one another.

Archived