Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

Hey Jordan, no dickiness intended, sorry if that was implied.

It is moot now anyways as the people have spoken, and the theme in theme thing isn't really important (Even if I didn't get the cost break I would consider it theme in my mind so it doesn't really change him much and 100 NP is more than enough).

Re: weakness, faults, failure: I have to humbly disagree (again it is a moot point for this game, but still on general principle).

Perhaps it would be more obvious in an ST run game but Adam/Titan is juicy with weakness and faults. He is trying to live his superhero dreams while still being an awkward teenager. He has a girl at school he cares about that his powers are always endangering (and again he doesn't even know it's him yet...when he finds out, the ants really kicks in).

I just don't think you're giving the character enough credit. In ItB he was a bit on his own, but that was *just* beginning to change and his story to get deeper when the game went kaput.

...and btw he wasn't meant to stay an island...eventually at least one or more character would learn his secret (he would need someone to talk to sooner or later about what was really going on...someone who would understand), though he wouldn't want to work for the government.

Anyways, that particular concern (interactivity) is not hard to overcome...it sounds like the real reason he wouldn't fit is because you want to keep the setting a certain way and TO flies in and BAM godzilla is attacking, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! :P

Moving on....next idea right?

P.S. Any worlds (aside from A&A) in IE that *would* be a better fit for TO's antics?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you're getting the point... TO is a universe disrupting concept. There is nothing in here outside of IE itself that he would fit in, and even then once he starts hopping from IE universe to IE universe he will start developing a reputation of being a threat. And there are Novas that after seeing the threat would put him down.

I'm sorry, but TO here seems to be a character whose only true purpose is to disrupt a game.

Okay I wouldn't go that far Kams. But TO was designed in a vacuum. he was designed with a specific story that needs to be told in a specific way. That doesn't work in a collaborative environment.

Sky what I was trying to illustrate in my last post were some of the ways that you went wrong in your design thinking. When coming up with a character consider the world you are going to be introducing him to. Don't make the character in a vacuum and then ask "how can I get the world to fit my character" instead look at the world and ask "of the types of characters I like, what would fit well with this world."

Right now you are taking characters generated for previous games (or concepts you have been holding on to for a long time) with stories you'd developed in detail in your own mind and are trying to cram them into a game world with little though to that world's style and genre. I'm afraid you are going to find that a frustrating experience as none of us are interested in changing the game world to accommodate you (or any one player for that matter).

It would be better and less frustrating for you if you looked at the expectations and set-up of the game world and built a concept that fits within those ideals. the best way to figure that out is to read what's already been written and talk to the people who are already involved.

I'm sorry, Jordan, but I am standing by what I said.

Sky, you are falling into the same traps as before. Just accept that we don't like a certain character and move on. You have said it twice already.

As for the rest of us I am really noticing that we are stirred up bad. And this started up like, yesterday practically.

I'm really hoping it's just a minor thing, but we need to remember why we are here and work through things.

Well yeah, certainly you guys can understand wanting to bring back an old favorite from a game that died before it's time.

I'm not sure what you mean about being a threat though, any moreso than any high level nova would be considered a threat. Superman is considered a threat, but he gets on fine with a secret ID and everything...

I agree Kamiko that is too harsh. The purpose was never to disrupt a game, though again, any high level nova is going to affect a world...that is kind of the point of Aberrant, no?

Re: your last sentence Jordan: that is why I am here chatting! Frankly, I don't have the time to go and read through all that is written...trying to do that is what burned me out before. I figured the shortcut way would be to come in and talk it over.

Re: Everyone stirred up bad: because of me? I haven't been anything other than conciliatory, so if anyone is feeling triggered, it is something going on inside your heads. I came in with a concept, talked it over, addressed the issues as they were presented to me, and now I'm moving on.

No need for anyone to be upset. It's just a game and I'm not even upset it won't work as I'd hoped...again that was the point of asking...before I got my hopes up.

I still believe that TO is a viable character for some universe somewhere. If no one else wants to play though then as Jordan said, then there isn't really a point...

Although...it DOES bring up a valid question...the age old question of are we playing a static setting or a dynamic one? How much are we allowed to affect things? I feel like a game that is too static is just as bad as the metaplot, because it robs of us of our chance to make a mark, yanno?

Just accept that we don't like a certain character and move on. You have said it twice already.

This deserves it's own post. I've already moved on. However, it is hard for me not to notice that you (as in the collective you) tend to not like MOST of my characters...which, yes is frustrating, but I'm really trying to find a way here... work with me!

The "Collective" me? Sounds like you're accusing me of using sock puppets. Joke is on you though since everyone here knows who I am. I just reply in the OOC with who I am currently logged in as sometimes from other games.

Also, I'm not in CN to be in arguements.

Sky, cut the victim act, make a different character and deal with it.

No, the "collective you" meaning the community of players.

Honestly, I have not once argued in a negative sense. I have been presenting my thoughts, but again have been being quite open minded and conciliatory.

...and, maybe this is one of those times where things don't translate well over text, but I am getting a hostile vibe from you Kam...at the very least you seem to be reading hostility in my posts that simply isn't there.

You totally missed my point. Let me say it (AGAIN!) that I am fine making a different character...

What I was alluding to (and this is not a "victim act", it is just a truthful observation as I see it):

MOST of my characters have in fact, not been liked by the community (better I agree than collective you):

Jon

The Fool

Carnal

TO

Raijin

Dana

Brayden

I think the only character I've played here that can be called successful is Cody.

Huh...just tried to sign in to chat to see what had Kamiko so upset and found her ranting about me.

I really don't know what I said to upset anyone. Seriously, I'm here in front of my computer scratching my head thinking "what did I do wrong?"

I feel like maybe it is just SkyLion-hate from the past that is like a lens coloring how other people (Kam, maybe others) perceive what I write here.

I'm honestly doing my best to have a productive discussion here. :)

,, ,,

EDIT: Kam came back in and we are being friendly now. Nothing to see here.

Okay I am going to be completely honest with you and please note that this not meant to be an attack on you.

I have noticed you have a tendency to create "special snowflake" characters that need some sort of special exemption from the bounds of the game or setting in order to exist. You seem to need to have your characters "stand out" from the PC norms and be "unique and different" which seems to create a disconnect with your character and the proposed setting.

You don't seem to consider whether or not a concept is appropriate for a particular game and that is really annoying to everyone else in the game because they then have to stop and explain to why it doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't endear them to the character when you then try to turn around and defend the concept, tell them why they are wrong and that you should be allowed to get your way (paraphrasing here).

If the majority is telling you "no, bad" then don't try to defend whatever it is, just accept that it's not going to be accepted and move on. Note that you seem to be doing that at the moment so Kudos! :)

Sky, I would have issues with a Supes character in CN. Here's a quick primer on the world as we have it.

The gov'ts are all up in novas lives in this game; the DSA, Dept 0 and Euronet (just to name a few) are huge supporters of novas, but they look unkindly on them dressing up in tights and running around without the government knowing who they are. The gov'ts of the world are going to view any PC-level nova as either an employee or a threat.

I'll use my PCs as an example. Karrie works for the DSA. She doesn't run around in tights (though TEH Leather Hawtness is becoming her trademark) and the DSA certainly knows about her. Kitty Price is an actress. Her life is public enough that the US knows she's powerful, but a ditz more worried about her career than sticking her nose into things. They don't worry about her joining the DSA because she clearly isn't running around causing problem (which doesn't make her PC level threat, yet). Sean (incoming PC) is in the court-mandated care of the DSA.

Someone who's is going the vigilante route is possible, but I'd expect to see the gov't attempting to recruit them, then sending the PCs to arrest them for taking the law into their own hands. And frankly, Sky, you like having your PCs win way too much to role play out a story where they are on the run or defeated by the PCs. Vigilantes are dangerous because they have no accountablility to the US. If they kill a civilian, there's no recourse for the gov'ts to say it was a tragic accident in the line of duty, because you can't have duty if you're not part of the organization.

This game is really realistic. I think we've taken time to decide how our world would operate if super-people showed up suddenly. Some of it is idealized: those of us in the DSA have taken the time to make sure that it remains a "good" organization instead of creating some kind of Proteus shadow-org thing. And to me, its felt good to get away from some of the tropes of both the Abby setting and super heroes in general.

Does that help?

Indeed it does Dawn thank you. To be clear though I wasn't being obtuse. I recognize that if Titan were to show up in a real world setting he would become target numero uno for intelligence and/or capture across multiple organizations. I did build him specifically to hamstring such efforts...but you are right in that they would bring every tool and effort to bare...perhaps using the media to encourage him to come forward...

I still think some good stories are possible with TO, but the consensus was not in this backyard, so I am moving towards a more Ultimates-style character, most likely DSA.

And I feel flattered because Kamiko liked my concept so much he said he would endorse the character here. Feels really great to be supported. :D

Thank you Sky for being receptive, and Kam for working it out with him. Things flare up around here (rpgpost in general) from time to time, but it's good that we can move past them and have fun.

Dawn, nice summary about the world, thanks.

Mind if I run a Body Modification by you guys?

I was looking around for ways to get what I wanted without taking Adaptation, so this is what I had got that was by the book (or using logic)

Spaceworthy (From A:PG)

Low Pressure Tolerance (A mirror of High-Pressure Tolerance from The New Flesh)

But I wanted to take something where Rebecca was comfortable without needing to breathe oxygen, in other words, she can breathe anything (well anything that isn't designed to be a toxic weapon) Called Oxygen Independent. Pretty much she is equally at home in Earth's Atmosphere, Mars, or the higher layers of Jupiter's Atmosphere since she can breathe in any atmosphere. Although this doesn't grant immunities to things like nerve gas or other chemical weapons, only natural atmospheres.

I took it that this new bodymod would be 3NP/9XP, since stuff like Spaceworthy cost that much as well as the Pressure Tolerance.

Any input or am I on the right path?

Just ran into a MASSIVE glitch with Kei.

She doesn't fly at Mach 12. More like just a little better than Mach 1.

Enhanced Movement does not effect movement powers, only Walking, Running, Sprinting, and Swimming.

Hypermovement Flight is based on the dots of Hypermovement you have times 500kph.

So I have changed her flight accordingly, at least with current discoveries. Needless to say I am very much not pleased as now Kei has no hope in hell she can catch up with anything in orbit.

That and it seems I may have incorrectly assessed her flight in different threads.

What do?

Hold on, gotta double-check, just got made aware of some errata.

Disregard, I forgot that there is this thing in the A:PG called ERRATA.

Puppeteer stats:
Concept: Artist
Was an small time artist but things spiral one day and his life changed.
Superhero: Manipulate dolls. Maybe various machines?
Alliance: Unknown at the moment
Eruption: A combination of both Emotional Trauma and Threatening Situation.
Basically he was mentally abuse and degraded while being physically tortured by mysterious strangers.
Nature: Architect
Human:
P:Str. 1, Stam. 1, Dex.: 1
M. Per. 2, Int.1 Wits: 2
S. Ap. 2, Man. 2, Cha. 3
Abilities (23):
Dex: Athletics, Drive, Firearms, Melee
Perception: Awareness, Navigation
Intelligence: Computers, Engineering 2, Intrusion, Linguistics (native: English, Spanish)
Wits: Arts, Biz, Rapport, Meditation
Appearance: Style, Disguise
Manipulation: Diplomacy, Subterfuge, seduction
Charisma: Etiquette, Perform 2
Back ground (7);
Allies 2
Followers 1
Influence 2
Resources 2
Finishing touches:
Will power 3
Quantum 1
Initiative: wit + dex: 3
Movement: Walk 7m
Run (dex + 12m): 13m
Sprint (Dex. x 3) +20m): 23m
Bonus points: 15
Concentration 1
Photographic Memory 1
Quantum Recovery 3
Taint Resistance 5
High pain tolerance 3
Specialty: Perform; Acting 1
Specialty: Engineering: Electronics 1
N.P.: 100
Attributes: 10 n.p.
Physical: Str. 5, Dex. 5, Stam. 5
Mental: Per. 5, Int. 5, Wit. 5
Social: App. 5, Man. 5, Cha. 5
Abilities: 11 n.p. (66 points)
Dex: Athletics 3, Drive 3, Firearms 5, Martial Arts 5, Melee 5
Perception: Awareness 3, Navigation 3
Intelligence: Computers 3, Engineering 5 (electronics 1), Intrusion 3, Linguistics 3 (native: English. Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, German, Hindi, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Hebrew, Korean)
Wits: Arts 3, Biz 3 , Rapport 3, Meditation 3
Appearance: Style 4, Disguise 4
Manipulation: Diplomacy 5, Subterfuge 5, seduction 3
Charisma: Etiquette 5, Perform 5 (acting 1)
Background: 4 n.p. (20 points.)
Allies 2
Contacts: 5 (4 major and a score of smaller ones.)
followers: 5
Influence 5 (entertainment)
Node: 5 (Can spend 20 quantum points per turn 3 taint)
Resources 5
Mega’s Attributes: 62
Mega Dex. 5
Enchantment: Slapstick Fighting (Martial Arts, Melee, Firearms)
Mega Stamina 5
Enchantment: Resiliency, Unageing, Adaptability, Regeneration
Mega Intelligence 5
Enchantment: Total Concentration, Taint Resistance, Linguistic Genius
Mega Wits 5
Enchantment: Artistic Genius, Synergy, Mind over Matter
Mega Manipulation 5
Enchantment: Evasive, Tactful, Mediator
Mega Charisma 5
Mega Enchantment: Politeness, Soothe, Perfect Guest
Powers: 15 n.p.:
Quantum Construct 5 dots, Force Field 5 dots, Armor 5 dots
Willpower 3
Quantum 5
Initiative (dex+wits): 20
Run (dex + 12m): 23m?
Sprint (Dex. x 3) +20m): 50m?
Acting: Slapstick Fighting (Martial Arts, Melee, Firearms), Artistic Genius, Synergy
Socialite: Linguistic Genius, Evasive, Tactful, Mediator, Politeness, Soothe, Perfect Guest
Porcelain Skin: Armor, Resiliency
Organic Parts: unageing, Adaptability, Regeneration
Doll Making: Force Field, Quantum Construct
Mental Gears: Mind over Matter, Total Concentration, Taint Resistance

Sounds interesting. I'm curious about one thing though... Willpower of 3? Of course that could be an oversight, or a conscious choice, just seems a bit odd given Mega Manip 5, Mega Wits 5, and Mega Int 5, he'd see any one trying to use him a mile off, and he'd recognize his own shortcomings just as easily.

There is a chart in the core book. 1 is all but vegetable. 3 is your average very low willpower American. 5 means you've developed your will a bit, perhaps an athlete...7-8 might be an Olympian. 10 means you are basically Batman or Kaiser Soze, having honed yourself into an instrument of Will or an Iron Fortress.

Also, Ace, you didn't give yourself the one dot in abilities that you start with. So your Str should be a 2, your Dex a 2 and your Stm a 2, just as a note. It doesn't take 10 NP to max out your baseline abilities, just 7.

Also, why did you do that? I could see fives in his mental powers, but he's a mentalist with a Str 5? You also have Mega-Dex 5 and Mega-Stm 5? Why would your character gain those powers if he's a mentalist puppeteer?

Puppeteer stats:
Concept: Artist
Was an small time artist but things spiral one day and his life changed.
Superhero: Manipulate dolls. Maybe various machines?
Alliance: Unknown at the moment
Eruption: A combination of both Emotional Trauma and Threatening Situation.
Basically he was mentally abuse and degraded while being physically tortured by mysterious strangers.
Nature: Architect
Human:
P:Str. 2, Stam. 2, Dex.: 2
M. Per. 3, Int.2 Wits: 3
S. Ap. 3, Man. 3, Cha. 4
Abilities (23):
Dex: Athletics, Drive, Firearms, Melee
Perception: Awareness, Navigation
Intelligence: Computers, Engineering 2, Intrusion, Linguistics (native: English, Spanish)
Wits: Arts, Biz, Rapport, Meditation
Appearance: Style, Disguise
Manipulation: Diplomacy, Subterfuge, seduction
Charisma: Etiquette, Perform 2
Back ground (7);
Allies 2
Followers 1
Influence 2
Resources 2
Finishing touches:
Will power 3
Quantum 1
Initiative: wit + dex: 3
Run (dex + 12m): 13m
Sprint (Dex. x 3) +20m): 23m
Bonus points: 15
Concentration 1
Photographic Memory 1
Quantum Recovery 3
Taint Resistance 5
High pain tolerance 3
Willpower 1 +2
N.P.: 100
Attributes: 7 n.p.
Physical: Str. 5, Dex. 5, Stam. 5
Mental: Per. 5, Int. 5, Wit. 5
Social: App. 5, Man. 5, Cha. 5
Abilities: 11 n.p. (66 points)
Dex: Athletics 3, Drive 3, Firearms 5, Martial Arts 5, Melee 5
Perception: Awareness 3, Navigation 3
Intelligence: Computers 3, Engineering 5, Intrusion 3, Linguistics 3 (native: English. Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, German, Hindi, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Hebrew, Korean)
Wits: Arts 3, Biz 3 , Rapport 3, Meditation 3
Appearance: Style 4, Disguise 4
Manipulation: Diplomacy 5, Subterfuge 5, seduction 3
Charisma: Etiquette 5, Perform 5
Background: 1 n.p. (5 points.)
Allies 2
followers: 1
Influence 2 (entertainment)
Node: 5 (Can spend 20 quantum points per turn 3 taint)
Resources: 2
Willpower +6 6n.p.
Mega’s Attributes: 62
Mega Dex. 5
Enchantment: Slapstick Fighting (Martial Arts, Melee, Firearms)
Mega Stamina 5
Enchantment: Resiliency, Unageing, Adaptability, Regeneration
Mega Intelligence 5
Enchantment: Total Concentration, Taint Resistance, Linguistic Genius
Mega Wits 5
Enchantment: Artistic Genius, Synergy, Mind over Matter
Mega Manipulation 5
Enchantment: Evasive, Tactful, Mediator
Mega Charisma 5
Mega Enchantment: Politeness, Soothe, Perfect Guest
Powers: 15 n.p.:
Quantum Construct 5 dots, Force Field 5 dots, Armor 5 dots
Willpower 10
Quantum 5
Initiative (dex+wits): 20
Run (dex + 12m): 23m?
Sprint (Dex. x 3) +20m): 50m?
Acting: Slapstick Fighting (Martial Arts, Melee, Firearms), Artistic Genius, Synergy
Socialite: Linguistic Genius, Evasive, Tactful, Mediator, Politeness, Soothe, Perfect Guest
Porcelain Skin: Armor, Resiliency
Organic Parts: unageing, Adaptability, Regeneration
Doll Making: Force Field, Quantum Construct
Mental Gears: Mind over Matter, Total Concentration, Taint Resistance

Okay, why the Mega Int 5 with alot of Intelligence Abilities that seem to infringe on Karrie?

Thanks for the catch, but none of those enhancements point toward science or invention. That's why I didn't say anything.

Ace, I'm just going to add my usual appeal that I make occasionally asking people to consider when they jack their megas up to five. As it's said, "We go so busy asking ourselves if we could that we never stopped to ask if we should." So those stats all need to be fives?

That I don't know. yet at the same time I did it in thinking trying to get the best in dice rolls. If it's not in the best interest or if I am messing up with the character then I should try to rework him. Also I did not know what really to add to him presides the basics. Even then some of the basic stuff I did not like to start with anyways.

It may be blasphemous for me of all people to say this but...start with the concept and let that guide your decisions. 5's in everything (ubermensch) IS a valid concept...but that does not seem to be YOUR concept in this case...

I've ben chastised more than once for min maxing dice pools...it's ok to be good at your schtick, a 5 in the 2-3 areas of specialty max, just don't go overboard with it.

okay. Yet I don't know what would be my character main assess. Presides the basic concept I don't know if what I have been doing is wise or not. Also I don't know if I am missing something or doing anything wrong. That's why I am asking. Also thank you all for the feedback that you are all giving me.

Nate is Jedi themed. Erupted on the day the Refugees came though, while he was at a comic con arguing with a fellow geek about Star Wars stuff. Killed the other kid by frying him with Sith Lightening, spent 5 years in prison for it. Just got out a year ago. Since then he's been working for the DSA alongside Karrie and Rob, although he doesn't compare to them in terms of intellect. In his off time he's building a spaceship which is almost complete.

Kevin/Taeli erupted after the completion of an epic, long-running D&D Campaign, turning into a Nova version of his Elven Bladesinger (fighter-sorceror). Unfortunately, his character was female and now, she is too. Even more unfortunately, his girlfriend at the time also erupted into a version of her character, who was male (as is she now, sort of). They have issues.

Vixen/Roxanne is a meta-quantum manipulator, able to shut down powers as well as copy them and impart them. She erupted when trying to understand an unexplainable case of quantum phenomena: a two-tailed fox. She now understands the phenomena, but it's become a permanent imprint upon her quantum signature.

Archived