Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lt. Mark Jacobs is hereby assigned to SG24. He's an old hand at this, kick him around. smile

And with those assignments, I think I will call this game closed to new players for the time being. Honestly I think I should have capped the numbers at 12, but I love you guys so much I just couldn't help myself. Luckily Malachite has offered to be my Assistant ST and help out by running one of the teams for me.

Thank you Mala.

Originally Posted By: Jaunt
Why would your Character A want to meet Character B based off information that Character A isn't privy to?

Uh...the conversation in question is taking place OOC between players and not the characters. Just noticing that we have certain similarities and differences that would be fun to explore IC and was bringing up the notion publicly.

um...I am fiding it frustrating because as I said I want to (and need help with) filling in the two weeks prior to the briefing. It is a SMALL base people and we are larger than life...I find it very hard to believe that the briefing is the first time Ive met all of you...and yet without some IC roleplay I don't know how to react...

Once again I am looking for people who would like to explore a bit with me in Brayden's thread...

I feel that rank, time in, taint (everyone hangs out with people and can tell somewhat when they are disturbed), and training make us cliche-ish. Sure, we meet in the corridors and at the cafeteria, but things take time. Especially since a good number of people were tortured and held against their will only to discover they had new, profound, and life-altering abilities. That's a lot to go through in two weeks.

Mala you left chat all pissed but I was actually being serious. between your comments there and peoples comments here I am just going to post. Later I will probably make an interim post on my own with Brayden being kept in isolation and undergoing tests...

Sky, just do what we're doing: add to your personal thread as the game moves forward. Jaunt hadn't met anyone yet except Dr. Jackson and was in the briefing, c'mon dude, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm just now meeting other PCs with Jaunt and have assumed that over the two weeks he may have seen them, but interaction wasn't grand enoung to merit what I would call a 'meeting'.

Go with the flow pimp... go with the flow.

Sky: With Fox wanting the military aspect being in the zone of 'real' I'd like to point out that tearing the sleeves of your BDU's is a no-no.

If Brayden has 'Rank' that means he has a CO and that CO will probably tear into his ass over it. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up. Vinny has regulations about his cigar, so I thought I'd let ya know about BDU policy. I think disrespecting a uniform (and yes, that's what they call it) more than likely wouldn't go over very well.

Like Vinny's cigar though, I really don't care. It's Fox's ballgame.

As someone who is in the military, I know that purposefully destroying your uniform will get you a serious chewing out and probably an Article 15. That Article 15 might mean reduction of pay, extra duties, surrender of pay for a specified time, or reduction in rank.

The offense: Destruction of US Government property.

Added to which they've had two weeks. It wouldn't take a QM with some initiative to get General O'Neil to signoff on some made to measure BDU's that could have been knocked up in that time. Hell they might even have someone linked to Cheyenne who could do it internally, after all it's only some cloth and thread. smile

If it gcomes to it give him M-Dex 1 (Fast tasks) and a dot of relevant skill and he could knock it up himself faster than a sewing machine. Hmm, a programmed assassin who does needlepoint... smile

Originally Posted By: Rorx
If it gcomes to it give him M-Dex 1 (Fast tasks) and a dot of relevant skill and he could knock it up himself faster than a sewing machine. Hmm, a programmed assassin who does needlepoint... smile

That image made me smile, mostly because I was picturing Leon from The Professional bending over a sewing machine.

He isn't officially in the military yet...he has rank but has yet to enlist or earn it... Its not disrspecting it if it just doesn't fit. So far he is a civilian...Fox has not yet offered to enlist him and Fox has said that some custom BDUs are on the way...

That said Eufiber would come in very handy (eventually, I hope) because the nature of his powers means that he is going to be "disrespecting" his uniform semi-frequently in combat...

BTW, Im not sure if I have been doing an adequate job of describing Brayden's altered physique so I will use to of the x-men who inspired him. He has wolverine's buffness (though not quite as short) and Beast's proportions, especially in the size and thickness of his hands and feet. Or for fantasy roleplayers they might think of him as how a dwarf would look if not as short and with proportionate limbs. Just a wall of dense meat and muscle.

Also given his stealth ability and modifications he would probably choose to go without shoes, similar to walker. I see combat boots just getting in the way and being clunky and his feet are armored like the rest of him. Hopefully the realistic military concept will be willing to make at least a few minor accomodations to the altered humans. And yes, even with custom BDUs one of his powers at least is going to mess them up from time to time.

whoa there simba! Wolverine's physique is ok. Beast's is not. Remember you have to be able to fit into normal society, that is one of the requirements of the game. Being a big buff weight lifter is ok, being a freak of nature that is outside normal proportions is not. Adjust your mental image of the character accordingly.

Also, re: feet. Your character is NOT armored. He may be tough but he is not armored. Walk on glass and you will get cut up. You might heal it almost as fast as it happens, but you will still suffer the damage and leave a trail of bloody foot prints.

Fit into normal society or find an Anime game to play in. This is the SGC not the X-men. Yes, I know we have people bamf'ing around and others that are doing out there things but they look normal which was a requirement of character creation. Stop pushing my limits.

Thanks,

The Management.

I give up... I tried not too, but...

*hands Sky some cream for those burns*

On a serious note, this is what you said you were changing. I'm sure that looking as thick as Wolvie will still get you stares from people without making them doubt whether you are even possible. smile

beast.gif

wolverine.gif

Sorry, but I just have to jump in on the defensive. In the words of SL, the 'proportions' of the first with the 'buffness' of the second. He specifically said 'proportions' of Beast, specifically the size of the hands and feet, nothing about the fur. If anyone's seen X-3, they'll remember the scene where Beast lost his fur... he looked completely normal, even if a bit larger.

He might stand out, but so do alot of baselines, not to mention some of the aberrations that I've seen so far.

Zat gun clarification.

While yes, when they were introduced, the third shot disintegrated people, it has since been 'back-plotted' so to speak to say that the first shot stuns, the second kills, and nothing else happens after that. The writers realized how cheesy it was, (their words not mine) and just went forward with the new 'rules.'

I personally don't care either way, just thought we should get clarification before we go on any missions.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
whoa there simba! Wolverine's physique is ok. Beast's is not. Remember you have to be able to fit into normal society, that is one of the requirements of the game. Being a big buff weight lifter is ok, being a freak of nature that is outside normal proportions is not. Adjust your mental image of the character accordingly.

Also, re: feet. Your character is NOT armored. He may be tough but he is not armored. Walk on glass and you will get cut up. You might heal it almost as fast as it happens, but you will still suffer the damage and leave a trail of bloody foot prints.

Fit into normal society or find an Anime game to play in. This is the SGC not the X-men. Yes, I know we have people bamf'ing around and others that are doing out there things but they look normal which was a requirement of character creation. Stop pushing my limits.

Thanks,
The Management.

Uh...Fox you might want to read people's character sheets a little more carefully. With a dot in the power armor and a lethal soak of 6 you bet your ass he could walk on broken glass and not get cut, no bloody footprints. Remember I told you I am not defining his armor as regeneration...with the limit on Mega atts his regen is a slow as anyone elses..1 HL per turn. That is why the SGC has to use big ass osmium needles to do blood tests on un armored Novas.

And yeah Beast has big hands and feet but so do alot of weioght lifters and with his Mega Strength and development, combined with the totally legal AFAIK NOva Physique you have yourself one massive hombre.

No aura of primal sexuality though... wink

Now if y'all would kindly step off my back...its sore from working out today. Thanks.

Thanks for the support SG. Yeah I wasn't referring to blue beast I was referring to Henry McCoy Beast.

Here are some pics to better describe the buffness/thickness (not blue skin or fur but you get the idear)...his bones are so dense and his muscles so thick and developed that his wrists/forearms, ankles fingers and toes are just plain thicker. he may be the buffest being on the planet right now. Its not 'ordinary' but then again Arnold in his prime was normal either and he didn't 'fit in' to society either..he didnt scream mutant of course but he got looks and people noticed him wherever he went.

200px-Beast_(Ultimate)_001.jpg

xmen27.jpg

ult_beast1.jpg

Ultimate_X-Men_Beast.png

Quote:

And yeah Beast has big hands and feet but so do alot of weioght lifters and with his Mega Strength and development, combined with the totally legal AFAIK NOva Physique you have yourself one massive hombre.

You are missing the point. I asked you not to push the limits. This is very definitely pushing the limits. I'm picturing Wolverine and that's fine. He's stocky. No problem, lots of people are stocky. Beast is more than merely stocky. Even the least of the pictures you show above of Beast are not normal. I specified in the character creation rules that you MUST be able to pass for normal. Any aberrations must be concealable. What part of that leads you to believe you can get away with having wolvies build but Beast's proportions?

Your character is in serious danger of disappearing in a puff of ST displeasure.

You will wear combat boots or appropriate foot wear and clothes because that is what NORMAL people do, and you must pass for NORMAL.

This should not come as a surprise, it was part of the character creation rules and I have spoken with you countless times asking that you tone down the "Look at ME" aspects of your normal character creation habits. Being a hairless gorilla is not toning things down.

Ok, I'm calmer now. But seriously Sky, normal means normal, not just squeaking by the outer edge of acceptable. Other folks in the game are really pretty. That's ok they could still walk down the street and have a conversation without people thinking they are a freak. Dec and Jacobs have freaky eyes, but put on a pair of sunglasses and they blend right in. Beast like proportions are not normal. Walking around barefoot because your body is armored is not normal. No shoes, no service.

That's a hypocritical statement Fox. Walker's player was fully intending him to never wear shoes (a la Hawksmoor). You never gave him shite.

Look...I know what you are getting at...you want to have the characters be within the realm of human believability. I get that. I also don't think you understand thelimits of human potential. Most of what limits human strength and muscle development is skeletal strength.

People like Michael Phelps (and myself might I add) have unusually large hands and feet (the term gorilla hands has been used and might I add makes me a damn good massage therapist). Now take that Michael Phelps and give him Arnolds body at its peak. Actually take Arnolds Physique at 6'2", keep the muscles the same size (22" arms) and put them on a 5'6" frame. I myself am like this in a way...6'7" but not at all skinny or lanky..I have *broad* shoulders.

here...If you don't believe me that this kind of development is within the realm of human plausibility, take a lokk at this image:

mythic01ty4.jpg

Bodybuilders ARE freaks compared to most of us.

I think what is happening is that you are gettingtoo caught up in my comic book examples, which I admit is my fault...its just that it is incredibly hard to describe a nova physique any other way. Theier physiques are simply more perfect and better developed than a baseline. Its not an aberration but even in canon setting a nova with no taint can be *felt* to be distinct..a superhuman by baselines.

Lastly I would like to ask you a question...You are so gung ho about us fitting into society...but from what I know we are either going to be locked away deep underground or on alien worlds where the natives have already seen freaky sci-fi shit. How often are we going to waltzing down to Time Square for a Venti Latte at Starbucks???

I also had a thought that might help make things easier on the STs. Just watched the first ep of SG-1. In it they had two SG teams go on the same mission. Maybe a team or two could double up for the big missions...staying in one thread but perhaps having divergent objectives. I dunno...just a thought.

Sky, Re: Starbucks etc.

Yeah there hasn't been much on world stuff, but there has been some, and it could be relevant to us in that it could be tracking down some of the NID people. Other things in SG-1 have been highschool reunions, attending/demonstrating at conferences, meetings at the pentagon/washington, and investigating other rumours/evidence of possible alien technology or influence.

Also I could easily envisage the military heirachy wanting to see a demonstration of our powers etc and that would best be done at a location outside SGC given the range and damage potential of some peoples powers.

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
How often are we going to waltzing down to Time Square for a Venti Latte at Starbucks???

As long as my PC looks normal? As often as I like. I have a lot planned for Jaunt during down time, and most of it is all done off the base (seriously, who can stop him from leaving smile ). Like going home to be with his family for leave, asking out one of the SG ladies, you name it, anything's a possibility.

But let's paint it with a broader brush, shall we? What happens when we are all are doing as we please during an 'Earth mission' while one or more PCs have to be stowed away in a bunker because they looked like they'd lost a fight 'to the pain'. Then we have more issues to contend with like PCs complaining that they're being singled out and abused because they chose to play something inhuman and that 'Earth missions' are unfair.

Overall, for all players involved and the STs sanity it's just easier this way.

Archived