Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
Bodybuilders ARE freaks compared to most of us.
That guy is probably using steroids (meaning the degree to which he's within normal human development is arguable). Also we're looking at him all "pumped up" for the camera so that's his peak.

Meaning if you wanted a character who'd walk around all the time looking like that, I suspect Fox might say "no" there too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Courier
That guy is probably using steroids (meaning the degree to which he's within normal human development is arguable). Also we're looking at him all "pumped up" for the camera so that's his peak.

Meaning if you wanted a character who'd walk around all the time looking like that, I suspect Fox might say "no" there too.

In addition to the possiblity of steriods, you're looking at someone who probably has starved and dieted himself to 1 or 2% bodyfat for the picture/competition. Bodybuilders don't maintain that level of bodyfat (not for long because the body will rebel in time) on a daily basis.

Sky, the point to all of this is very simple: Fox said to change it. He's the ST. Do it.

Alternately, you could quit and find a ST who will let you play that character. Regardless, you're way out of line because you're arguing with the ST. You made your appeal, he said no, and you are still arguing, going so far as to call him a hypocrite. Stop it.

And if you asked Cottus/Whitearrow, I'm sure he'd tell you that if a CO ordered him to wear shoes, Walker would have worn shoes. He may not have liked it, and he'd likely shuck them off any chance he got, but he still wouldn't have been barefoot when he wasn't supposed to be.

Quote:
Walker's player was fully intending him to never wear shoes (a la Hawksmoor). You never gave him shite.

I didn't hear anything about this.

Strike 1

Quote:
Look...I know what you are getting at...you want to have the characters be within the realm of human believability. I get that.

Then why are you arguing with it? Stop describing your character in comic book terms and describe them as normal people. Take a look at Hawke's profile at the picture of his character that is linked there. I think that is what you are trying to get at, but you are using comic book terms and trying to JUSTIFY what you want rather than fitting into the game I have created and defined. I asked that you confine your characters to human norm, with any aberrations concealable so that you can actually do things in normal society. The SGC is a secret. You will not be allowed to blow their cover. The NID was secret. They killed anything mutated enough to blow their cover. I do plan for you to be able to go off base during down time. I do plan that there will be missions on Earth. You have to be NORMAL for these. The definition of this game is that your character must be able to fit into normal society. Your character descriptions do not make that possible, that violates the premise of this game.

Strike 2

One left.

Quote:

Quote:
In addition to the possiblity of steriods, you're looking at someone who probably has starved and dieted himself to 1 or 2% bodyfat for the picture/competition. Bodybuilders don't maintain that level of bodyfat (not for long because the body will rebel in time) on a daily basis.

It states in the core book (in the IC exposition section with Kikjak) that Novas are between zero and one half percent bodyfat over the minimum needed for metabolic function. Male Gymnasts are about 5% which is about the minimum. Bodybuilders in competition get down to 3 or 4 % which you are correct cannot be sustained. 5% is Nova. Also Courier there is no reason a Noa with Mega Strength can't be pumped like that at all times. It is not an aberration. That would be more along the lines of Greg Valentino.

Quote:
I didn't hear anything about this.

Strike 1

Quoted from Walker's profile.

Quote:
Quirks: Ever since he was "enhanced", John Walker almost never wears shoes, and is only rarely found wearing anything heavier than the standard regulation black t-shirt (the exception being formal occasions, where he will wear dress shoes and clothes appropriate to the occasion). The reason for his lack of footwear are the toughened, leathery, almost tread-like soles of his feet which are extraordinarily tough - more so than military-issue combat boots, as a matter of fact.

Honestly Fox I feel like a.) you are not reading what people are writing/posting and b.) allowing your emotions to cloud over and are effectively not seeing what I am writing.

A.) Case in point. You didn't see Walker's post above or he didn't tell you in chargen that his character was based partially off of Hawksmoor. Also during my interrogation, you sent me a suprised PM window when I described Wolfe looking through walls. You seemed surprised that Ihad Mega Perception yet that and EM Scan were present in the build from day 1.

As for B.) please see below:

Quote:
Then why are you arguing with it? Stop describing your character in comic book terms and describe them as normal people.

Actually if you read my last post I was using all real world examples. I could see that using comic book examples was setting you off so I hanged tack to something real that I hoped you could relate to.

Quote:
Take a look at Hawke's profile at the picture of his character that is linked there. I think that is what you are trying to get at, but you are using comic book terms and trying to JUSTIFY what you want rather than fitting into the game I have created and defined.

See above. I stopped using comic book examples and am now talking in the realm of actual possibility/plausibility.

The Hawke pic is a good one. My character however is more along the lines of the bodybuilder pic I posted in my last post (Those are 20 in arms btw which while incredibly difficult to achieve are certainly possible wit the right genetics and training.)

Quote:
asked that you confine your characters to human norm, with any aberrations concealable so that you can actually do things in normal society.

I honestly do not understand why you keep bringing up aberrations. Wolfe has only one aberration: his eyes, which were vetted by you. Everything else I am describing is well within the bounds of the description for a Nova physique and someone with bone reinforcement aiding muscle development. No aberrations here.

Quote:
You have to be NORMAL for these. The definition of this game is that your character must be able to fit into normal society.

It may be semantics but to me normal = average or ordinary and quite frankly the average American is if not outright obese probably not that physically fit. Really fit people are not normal and bodybuilder types even less so. Its not an aberration but it is pretty damn impressive. Look at it this way. i have a size 16 foot and it is almost impossible for me to find clothes or shoes in normal stores. I am not yet as yoked as i am training to be but that is only going to increase the probloem. Someone with large feet already who develops huge calves and ankles from working out is going to have the same problem. Basketball players have to get their shoes custom from the companies (who give them away as product endorsement.) That isnt a comic book example, its a RL one.

SkyLion, he has asked you to not be a freak by HUMAN standards. This isn't about aberrations, it is about your persistant desire to appear freakishly above the norm.

Why?

You already weigh enough to make most vechiles sway when you get in or out. Why draw more attention to yourself, unless that is your sole intention?

You are not playing someone normal, but you are playing someone who appears normal, or I don't think you are playing.

Don't be normal. Pass for NORMAL.

I'm not arguing. Read what I just posted. I was answering Fox's post, since he didn't seem to read mine (or Walker's). The weight was extrapolated from bodybuilder weight then adding in the increased desnity of his bones. There is nothing in the rules that says I can't be buff like a nova. As I was saying above I don't think my description IC or in my profile is out of bounds for human possibility. At the upper extremes? Yes. But not abnormal. As I said his proportions are perfect...he doesn't have that freakish Greg Valentino look.

Thats a matter of debate. Courier and I believe that if you have Str 5 you look it. You could however have Str 2 and Mega 1 and not look it. But thats just our style. The point is he has freaking indestructable bones. That allows for alot of muscle density and development. Nuff said. He is buff. Like Wolverine buff. Like that bodybuilder pic buff. If it is against Fox's rules to be buff I sure did not see it, and I am one observant fellow.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
A Str.5/M-Str 1 nova looks as buff as he wants to look. That's not an excuse.
"Buff" yes. "Mitoid" would take the ST's permission... and while that normally wouldn't be a problem here I think it would be.

Hey Sky, are your feet to big too wear shoes? Are your hands too big to wear gloves? If you can't go to Wal-Mart and buy things then you're probably too big.

And I say this as someone who has family members who have feet to big to shop there. At size 14 I just barely can.

There's a difference between being 'buff' within human possibility, and being Beast, with nutty comic book proportions.

And yeah, he read all your posts. He just doesn't -agree- with them.

You've gotten like two people now who have very insightfully posted the underlying theme here. I'll do it too, because you just keep going.

Stop. Fox sez, 'no.' If you want to be muscular, cool. Arnie = fine. Beast = no.

I think, as a rule of thumb, if you can find a photograph of someone who could be your character, it's probably cool.

If you are forced to resort to images from comic books that use weird proportions, then you should reconsider.

But really, the SUBSTANCE of the argument is no longer the issue, and hasn't been for awhile now. That the argument is still going is the issue. Even your latest post is trying to "prove the ST wrong," and accusing him of not having read your posts. That is argumentation. It needs to end now.

Re: Realistic build vs. unrealistic.

I know I'm not playing, and others have already pointed out that you're arguing with/baiting the ST.

However, you guys know it's impossible for me to not give my opinion on an argument like this.

There is a difference in what would be considered a reasonably "normal" athletic build, even a muscular one, and one that looks freakish (even by mundane human standards.)

Since photos seem to be the order of the day, allow me to illustrate.

Freakish.

bodybuilder.jpg

bodybuilder.jpg

Just because a person can attain such a ridiculous physique does not mean that they're going to be able to function normally in society. They're going to be looked at like a sideshow feature, which Fox has specifically said he wants to avoid. Honestly- do these guys look like they could give someone a hug, fasten a belt, or tie their shoes?

There are plenty of visual references for what would be considered a "reasonable" level of physical fitness. (Muscle and Fitness typically has one on their cover, if you don't want to do a lot of research.) All Fox is asking is that you tone it down to what would be considered non-freakish and allow you to blend in with society.

SL, I would really like to help stand up for you, but I really can't. As some others have said, what you're saying may or may not be right. However, as difficult as it may be to switch how you look at this (and I know that it can/could be), the issue now is how long you have been at odds with the ST. Here is a rule of thumb that I tend to go by:

The ST says one thing, you have a question or would like them to reconsider or think that what they said doesn't actually apply in your case. After they respond, if it's still negative, you get one chance to say 'oh really, have you thought about it this way?' If the answer is still negative, then, if and only if this is something that you feel extremely strong about (meaning you'd be willing to let other things slide if you get this), you get one last chance to say 'are you sure it isn't this way?'. This last response is what you HAVE to accept, otherwise you risk angering the ST, loosing status, getting a bad rep, etc.

That being said, SL, both you and Fox have said that Wolverine would be ok. I would suggest just making it apparent that that's ok and that that is the vision that you have now. It may not be exactly what you wanted or originally invisioned, but it would (hopefully) be close enough and it would keep you in the game.

One last thing, SL, you said that it wasn't against the rules for a nova to look like he had MStr. By the books it may not be, but this game (and no game actually) isn't run by the rules in the books. This game (and every game, in actuality) is run by the ST's interpretation of the rules in the book, and any additional ones or changes that they may have. You may get an appeal, and you have appealed, but the ST has said no, and even started counting down the strikes; it's time to accept the ST's rules, whether you like them or not.

SkyLion, I would really like to see you stay in this game and prove that what you've said is genuine. But that'll require you to play within the ST's rules, whether you agree with them or not.

I may not be the ST, but I'm going to step here and say that this subject should be dropped. Sky has his opinions, I have mine, everyone has theirs and Fox obvious has his own.

Leave this matter to Fox and Sky. It's for them to deal with, not us.

There are currently 18 people in this game. I do not know every single power that every person in the game has by memory. During creation I went over everyone's character to make sure they were A) correct by the numbers and B) did not pick powers that would break my game or the theme. I have made a cheat sheet that lists everyone's powers so I (and Mala) have it at a glance. But ask me what powers any specific character has and I'll be able to give you their concept, but I'd still have to look up what specific powers they have on my cheat sheet, because there 18 of you. I hope that no one expects me to have every detail memorized because that won't be happening.

I have to tell you guys. I am impressed with your abilities and I don't mean the powers your characters have. Some really impressive stuff going on for just meeting up in teams. Can't wait to see what you guys do on missions and with actual plot. smile

Of course that does not mean you need to rush through what you are doing. Take all the time you want. When you guys feel your team is ready and has done the preparation you need to do let me know and I'll start you on your first mission. Also, it should go without saying, but there is no need for different teams to start or end missions or down times together. Your missions will take as long as they take and bugger what is going on back at the SGC with the other teams. I'll do what I can to keep you guys able to have some down time together to interact but just like in the real SGC (as if it were real) SG teams are on their own schedules independent from other SG teams.

That is all. Carry on.

Fox and I have spoken privately. I did want to comment on the photos that ViVi posted though. Just wanted to say that those guys to me would count as the bulging muscles aberration. I know I may not have been clear inusing the word proportion but those guys are all out of wack. Im not sure what would be the better word I am looking for than proportionate. Integrated Maybe...like a gymnast, where everything works well together and comes from the core muscles of the transverse abdominous and super strong backs and lat muscles, but that may be getting too technical for here. No need to carry the topic on further, just had to agree with how freakish those two were.

It should be obvious by now that besides Jaunt's cockiness (that will prolly get him his ass kicked by about... everyone) he has a slight problem with authority figures. He doesn't like being told what to do, and especially how or when to use his new abilities.

Keep in mind too that the SG-22 fic is prior to Sergeatn Perault whoopin his stank ass all over the gym, so he yet to be humbled.

Originally Posted By: Forge
Zat gun clarification.

While yes, when they were introduced, the third shot disintegrated people, it has since been 'back-plotted' so to speak to say that the first shot stuns, the second kills, and nothing else happens after that. The writers realized how cheesy it was, (their words not mine) and just went forward with the new 'rules.'

I personally don't care either way, just thought we should get clarification before we go on any missions.

[Mr Fox] 3:59 pm: I agree that the disentegrate is cheezy. We'll go with the 2 shots only. 1 to stun 2 to kill

Yeah...I'm trying, as his CO, to retain authority without triggering his defenses.

lol...lots of luck with that, Ash.

The fact that he's civilian is getting him some leeway, but if he doesn't shape up, she'll have to get tougher on him. A weak link in a team risks everyone's life.

A note about Stealth, please keep in mind that if a PC uses stealth in a room with 4 people, those 4 people are permitted awareness checks to notice him (if they choose). Also certain enhancements negate can stealth entirely, like Ultra Peripheral Perception and Blind Fighting, etc...

So please, give those you're writing with a bit of courtesy and not assume they are clueless and blind. If said PC is being stealthy, then others, rightfully, should be permitted to notice it.

I assume that post is directed at me Jaunt? Understood about enhancments. I think you are refering to my entrance which was just me being dramatic and ninja like when inserting myself into the scene. As we are just getting started I didnt thinkit was a big deal but if my fellow teammates mind I can go back and redit all of my posts... Just to be clear though that I grok you and its not the way I would do it normally. 9 successes is pretty damn good though...

Oh, and while on the topic, Did you buy RQC for teleport? If you did and you do short Jaunts then that would explain (under the half power -1 qp rule) how you seem to teleport around beyond a normal porters quantum pool.

In order to keep postings as clear as possbible. If you are doing a post that is outside a team thread, please begin the scene by notating when the scene is taking place.

For Example:

((This scene takes place on the third day of the two weeks of testing before everyone was assigned to teams.))

Right now we have people posting at the beginning of that two weeks right up to the IC present which is during the training phase. This is fine, no reason not to post things that happened in these different times, we just need to keep it all straight.

By doing this it will help to avoid confusion.

Thanks.

So I just finished watching the first two episodes of SG-1. I can see now why Fox wants to keep things pretty realistic, especially in terms of the military. The show takes itself seriously in that regard. I do have to mention that the subdued lighting of the sets gives the whole thing that gloomy undergound feel. Now that SG-1 has formed it will be a nice contrast between the dark interiors and the sunlit worlds they will visit.

Oh and I like the way Chris Judge plays Teal'c. I also think for the most part nailed the delivery of O'Neills character...I can almost see him as Kurt Russell in his use of tonality and delivery.

Something else...the series doesn't have the Star trek trope of 'universal translators' but somehow all the characters and aliens speak the Queen's good English. Shouldn't they speak some version of Goa'uld as the Abydonians did before Daniel taught them English?

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
Something else...the series doesn't have the Star trek trope of 'universal translators' but somehow all the characters and aliens speak the Queen's good English. Shouldn't they speak some version of Goa'uld as the Abydonians did before Daniel taught them English?

Well, my character might be useful for something after all. That's good to know. grin

Archived