Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Good question actually. Can you jaunt out of a pair of handcuffs or leg irons? If the answer is no, then Gwyn could keep you from Jaunting when he is 1700lbs for the same reason. Personally, I'd like to see handcuffs or anything attached to you that is bigger than the mass you can teleport with keep you from Jaunting, since it would make for some good story potential, but if you are very opposed to that then we could figure something out. By the rules you could teleport out of a locked room, but we've modified the basic rules for Jaunt's teleport to not allow that so it's kind of a gray area.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A character may teleport out of a grapple (which is what Gwyn is doing, holding him). And unless the leg irons or hand cuffs are attuned, they can be teleported out of as well.

To be really, really technical according to the RAW a telporting nova's clothing doesn't even go with him when he teleports, he must attune it each time (commonly over looked little rule, it's stupid, but it's true).

I guess I'm stuck not teleporting again though. Had you have told me the house rule of 'if anyone over 200kg is in contact with you you lose your power', then I would have chosen a different power.

But, cool with me. Your game.

Quote:
I guess I'm stuck not teleporting again though. Had you have told me the house rule of 'if anyone over 200kg is in contact with you you lose your power', then I would have chosen a different power.

We discussed this in chat and everyone is happy. That was not the intention.

Sorry RL interfered so I couldn't join the discussion before now. Jaunt had just shown super strength so Gwyn thought it prudent to activate his own in case he needed persuading to leave. He also didn't want Jaunt displaying other powers by jaunting away, but Gwyn has no idea whether or not Jaunt can take another person with him or of any mass limits he might have.

Basically IC and OOC I had no idea whether it would work or not and am happy to take whichever way it has fallen out, which I will go and read, if my mobile will let me!

Rorx -

Jones' last post in Kiki Nass is dangerously close to out-and-out metagaming, mate.

Now Jones is as likely as anyone else to see that it was Vinny that started the fight and that he got Livy out of there. That's cool, no problem.

But to assume that just because Kyria's a telepath she CAN do something to memories is pushing the boundaries. It's more likely to assume that when Dec went crazy he loses his memory of the situation.

That's my two cents.

Fair point Dec, in his/my defence Gwyn is a roleplayer and scifi fan in his background where very few telepaths can't screw with memories. In addition he is Int 5, M-Int 1, is it an unreasonable assumption to make that she might be responsible? I can't check it easily as I'm on the mobile, but I thought I'd done it as a question and reccomendation if she says she did do something. I'll check again later and see if I need to change it.

Ok, something I'm not sure about. I don't know if thies is actually in the rules, was just a house rule in another game or what, but someone said something about using a power at half dots and only spending half the QP? Is this correct?

Even if it isn't, can you activate a power at reduced power and just use it at that level? The reason is that Gwyn's DI when he normally uses it kicks in at 800kg, M-STR2 and +3L/+3L Soak, could he also use it at a reduced level of say 200kg, M-STR1, and +1L/+1B Soak - even if it means full QP cost it would be worth it sometimes.

Fox,

When making skill checks I tend to apply an appropriate penalty on my own, if you read my rolls and feel the penalty should be less (or more) just let me know. That's why I post the complete amount of successes I achieved than apply any penalties/bonuses I feel are appropriate.

I hope this makes your job a bit easier, as that's the intention.

Anything in brackets '[]' on a roll is the mega dice, although I usually applied them last in a roll, I'll be applying them in the beginning of the roll as that seemed to be the standard. So a 5 die pool with 2 of those dice being megas will look like this: [0,0]0,0,0.

Sorry, not sure what the problem is. Olivia was up on Gwyn's back with binoculars flying 150 to 200 meters out and you guys are on the ground and only have a short bit of visibility due to the weather conditions, and Jaunt was taking his turn pulling the sled so wasn't on scout during the second half of the trek. Also, you guys are just now arriving at the target so until now there hasn't really been anything for you to notice other than the sand blowing in your faces.

As for your post above this last one I'm perfectly cool with that. You guys are mature players that aren't going to run wild with what you are doing so I don't mind you adding your own difficulties for routine things. When there is plot reasons I'll step in and assign difficulties or modify the ones you set if I don't think they are accurate for reasons you aren't aware of.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Sorry, not sure what the problem is. Olivia was up on Gwyn's back with binoculars flying 150 to 200 meters out and you guys are on the ground and only have a short bit of visibility due to the weather conditions, and Jaunt was taking his turn pulling the sled so wasn't on scout during the second half of the trek. Also, you guys are just now arriving at the target so until now there hasn't really been anything for you to notice other than the sand blowing in your faces.

If Olivia and Jaunt's rolls didn't matter, you could have told us. Second, if Olivia is the one binoculars then chances are she would have noticed the destination before Gwyn would have, and if Jaunt is pulling sled, then unless he'd doing it blindfolded he'd see more n' likely notice too. Now I'm not sure what Gwyn's awareness is (I don't have Mega-Int so I can meta everyone's abilities) but I'm pretty sure that in the same rationale of Gywn's Mega-Int 1 'I know what your powers can do' theory that an Awareness Pool of 9 with an additional +1 die for Mega-Perception trumps the guy flying in a sandstorm without Visible Light Attuner, who didn't even bother to make a skill roll.

I could be wrong, I dunno.

My one dot of Mega-Perception really doesn't seen to be very useful and it's irritating because Gywn's one dot in Mega-Intelligence seems to not only allow him magically shut off Jaunt's powers but also be aware of of how everyone's powers function. Jaunt and the others might as well be mute and invisible when he's around.

So that's my gripe. Yes, I know I sound like a dick, and I'd like to say I'm sorry, but I'm not, I'm irritated.

I see. You are correct that it should have been Olivia seeing and reporting the hills. The visibility varies depending on the condition which change constantly, but in general it is only a few hundred yards at most when there is a break in the dust. With your perception you might notice the ground becoming more uneven but Jaunt wouldn't be able to see the hills until you guys were pretty close. Even with your mega the conditions are just plain bad and there is no seeing things at a distance. the flyers are 200m out and have binocs and are flying which give some pretty big advantages. I can understand your irritation though.

Folks, you guys have been doing very good for the most part about not stepping on each other, but just as a reminder be careful to give the right people their chance to shine. Stargazier stepping up to mess with that sensor over in the other mission thread is a good example. Perfect place for his character to shine. I'm guilty of this too and for that I apologize. Let's all try and do our part to make the game experience good for our fellow players.

I agree it probably should have been Olivia who reported the hills etc, the only reason I did it was because of the options for where to fly to get more information and because Gwyn has the navigation equipment to report where they were.

Can I also correct something, we are flying by Caines orders 1-2 kilometres ahead, not just a couple of hundred yards. I've been assuming the visibility is only a couple of hundred yards at most the whole time, but even then I thought a 7dice Awareness pool would be enough to spot the hills he was about to fly into without making a roll for it.

Fair enough Jaunt I'll stop posting unless addressed, I won't bother trying to move things forward at all.

Doh. You are correct Rorx. I had in my head that you guys were 100 to 200 meters out, but went back and checked. It was 1 to 2 km. You and Olivia would have definitely been the first to see the hills. The ground doesn't start changing until you are practically right on top of them. Depending on how far out Dec was on point he might have seen the ground start changing about the same time the airborne folk saw them, but still wouldn't have been the first to report.

I am in the process of PMing everyone their xp for all that has been done so far. The Missions are not included in the XP that I have assigned, and spending that xp before your first missions are over should be passed by me.

Keep in mind that this game is intended to be a low powered and for that reason I am not being my normal generous self when it comes to XP awards. In fact I'm being pretty stingy since I don't want you all to blow the game out of the water with characters that are too powerful for the setting.

That being said. I am awarding 1 xp per thread you were involved in, + 3 xp just for participation so far. I also made extra awards for various reasons where I felt it was deserved. In other words I definitely want to reward those who put in the most effort with the most xp.

I would like to recognize some people publicly for what I consider to be excellent work.

Adrian - for being an awesome Team commander.

Declan - for being a very human psycho killer.

Olivia - for starting so many threads and getting so many others involved in the story.

Gwyn - for being such a great supporting character.

Wright - for reaching out beyond his own team and circle to get invovled

Kyria - for her assistance with helping me organize

Jaunt - for being such an annoying bastard despite the consequences (although, I expect him to man up and be a team player soon)

Everyone else for joining the game and showing such interest.

*cradles his Recognition Award, dead gun-metal eyes filled with tears*

"I'd just like to say "thank you" to all the great victims- uh, teammates who made this possible, and to Fox for not forcin' me to break the Fourth Wall and throttle him with his own guts- No! For runnin' a game that's big on character development. Personal thanks go to Olivia for smellin' really good and havin' great tits- Will you shut up?! I meant to say: for helpin' add more dimensions to the character especially LENGTH! Yowza!

*breaks off to have a quiet argument with himself before returning to the mic*

"I... uh, that is WE, would also like to thank all the members of SG21 for keepin' the game cool, even Jaunt. The little prick- Hey! Sorry. Carry on."

*takes another moment*

"Finally, big hugs for Kyria for being the most active telepath in SGC, and therefore the one that's probably going to have some of the more disturbin' encounters with Red Dec. Yeah, I'm lookin' forward to it too.- Okay, that's it. You're just tryin' to piss me off! Get out of my head you fuckin'..."

*audience applauds uncertainly as Dec is dragged off by the combined might of SG21 before he can figure out how to kill all of them with his Recognition Award*

Just a reminder to everyone. Megas are currently capped at 1 dot. I plan to raise that cap later as the game progresses, but for now keep it to 1 dot.

Also any purchases of things like suite powers and big things, if it not something you already have please check with me on it. Some big powers are allowed but are not as written in the books to fit better in the games theme.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I need Perception + Awareness rolls from SG24 please.

I don't know if the telepathy roll can be made in the same round or not, but even if it happens the following round, that's the planned action, unless something explodes in his face, etc.

This might just be me....but is there anyway the current mission the team is on could stay in the main forum folder and turn the mission folder into the archives? Now that posting is significantly slower, it just seems redundant to have to go one more folder deep.

Archived