Open World M&M 3e

Dave ST

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brainstorming a few villains for Bastion:

The Heiress (PL 8-10) - A stuck up rich girl whose daddy got her a pink battlesuit so she could try her hand at crime fighting. She's only in it for the fame, money and prestige and doesn't care anything about actually helping people. She becomes Bastion's enemy when he embarrasses her and causes her to lose favor with the public. Fighting crime is a popularity contest, after all.

Mr. Pibb and Red Vine (PL8-10) - Mr. Pibb and Red Vine are crazy delinquents. Mr Pibb is genius who masterminds a heist while Red Vine uses her elongation powers to slip in and slip out undetected. Sad thing is, they do this on school nights.

Sweet & Sauer (PL7-9) - Two small time crooks with really bad, fake Cockney accents. They work for a powerful Crime Lord known only as Mr. Bulky.

And Mary (Ensign Minneapolis) Masters comes from Minneapolis, which has a heavy Norwegian/Swedish population.

Meh, I'm a powersuited character though, no Norse stuff in me, nope!

Allow me to translate guys:

"I have nothing relevant to add to the Norse/God topic, I just felt like posting something."

No I was trying to illustrate that not all of us are taking the Norse path.

I'm only seeing three in this conversation.

Anyways... is there anything else that is needing to be discussed while we're here? Otherwise I think I am satisfied with what we got and I can get to work. And stop bothering you guys to boot.

I'm actually thinking about doing a forgotten god. One of those Norse gods who, due to the merging of tribes and deaths of others, simply fell out of the histories and was forgotten.

"Oh sure, get mentioned in the Prose Edda and everyone loves you... but what happens when the tribes that worshiped you get wiped out? More than a thousand years of near oblivion, that's what! I'd almost forgotten who I was myself until some archaeologists uncovered the remains of a village where I was once worshiped. When they read my name in the runes, it was like a strike of Thor's own lightning hit me and I opened my eyes for the first time in at least a thousand years. I tell you, I barely remember who I was, and so weak... this must be what it feels like to be a mortal!"

Fox, sometimes the local Gods of a tribe weren't wiped out but absorbed. It's why the Prose Edda and some of the other old Norse texts conflict with each other. You could also play a God/dess that was absorbed into another God/dess. So instead of the sleep issues, your PC could struggle with identity issues (after all, they were merged with and part of someone else for millenia and now they're themselves again, and that is deeply, deeply creepy and intriguing), as well as feelings of betrayal from worshipers who didn't fight harder to keep his/her identity separate. Then add in the Asatru who are learning to revere the newly discovered God/dess and he/she could deal with the fear of being dependent on humans again, who could forget or distort again. It could lead him/her to trying to find a way to become a static God/dess or something other than a deity, to avoid that loss of self again.

Just some thoughts for you. :)

Thoughts like that cast a new light on things like the Inquisition, and other cases where strict orthodoxy is imposed by a religion.

How strange and perhaps awful it must be to feel oneself changing, slipping, day by day into something else, just because the fickle mortals can't keep their heads straight. How tempting to enshrine absolute doctrine, graven in stone, so that you never change.

But then, never changing is a curse too.

How do you find balance between the chaos of wandering beliefs, and the stasis of absolute control?

Or is that control fictional in the first place? Even if you stamp out the practice of heresy, can you stop people from changing what they believe in their hearts?

Carver, If you decide to go with the daughter-of-a-Jotun idea, I know Ein and I have already chatted about our PCs, and Fox seems to be leaning in a Norse direction as well. Maybe we could all collaborate and see if any interesting story hooks crop up. :)

We shall be...

,, ,,

The NORSE FORCE!

–5 Completely inept or disabled
–4 Weak; infant
–3 Younger child
–2 Child, elderly, impaired
–1 Below average; teenager
0 Average adult
1 Above average
2 Well above average
3 Gifted
4 Highly gifted
5 Best in a nation
6 One of the best in the world
7 Best ever; peak of human achievement
8 Low superhuman
10 Moderate superhuman
13 High superhuman
15 Very high superhuman
20 Cosmic

Guys, please keep the above in mind when you're submitting a PC. I look closely at the benchmarks and compare the attributes with the PC being presented. While it's possible for regular people to have extremely high attributes, even super human attributes, it's not very likely. Especially at the PL10 stage. Just some food for thought people.

I'm going to set Dahlia as an NPC for this game. Given the character concept, she just doesn't work as a PC in an OW setting. Nova Vida is still around as a convenient point of contact and teaming up, and Dahlia is about as someone to meet, she just wouldn't have anything to do on a regular basis as a PC in a game that will have more one-shot plots from different STs than long-term, overarching, tightly controlled plotlines from a single ST that is tailored to a specific set of PCs.

I'll try and come up with another PC idea over the next couple of days.

Minneapolis won't be changed much outside of a couple locations and local organizations that I will note in the writeup.

Also, something crossed my mind. How are Power Points (The XP type) going to be handled for this game?

I haven't had a chance to read over everything here (I lost my wallet over the weekend, which sort of forced me into 'lockdown' mode), but I'd like to submit a reworked version of Min-Max for this.

Also, if no one else has called it, I'd like to stake my claim to my hometown of Chicago; actually, I was born in suburban Elmhurst, but it's fairly boring and would be super-lame if it had superheroes in it. ;)

Ladies and gentleman. Please, when you submit a character please submit a full write up. That means background, stats, complications, etc... Don't submit half a character then tell us you'll submit the rest later. If the character is not sent in it's entirety then it will not be gone over for approval until the rest is sent. Submitting half a character is wasting your time and ours.

Been doing my research... Apparently Ullr (or Ull or Uller) is still worshipped today - by skiers and 'boarders. They actually send up little prayers to him for good snow. :D Additionally, the Colorado ski-resort town of Breckenridge has held an Ullr-fest every year for the last 50.

Perfect place for his boy to manifest for the first time. :alc:

According to the most popular version of the story, he's also supposed to be the son of Sif and the stepson of Thor, and when the ice giantess Skadi left Njord, she hooked up with Ullr. Apparently he had some of mom's way of appealing to the opposite sex.

So Ivarr Ullson will be the son of Ullr and Skadi, just fyi.

Why be a superhero? Well, Ullr was also a god of justice and duelling. (Quite a busy boy.) I could see his son hunting 'outlaws' and níðingr (villains), especially if he wanted to become a god in turn.

Still working on the character, just thought I should share that the cult of Ullr is alive and well in modern times :nana:

Archived