Trinity RPG - Whats the deal with Eden?

Dirk Cjelli

Alrighty, I've been poking around the site looking at things and I have a question.

Where is Eden discussed in the books?

I'm under the impression that its a colony of sane nice novas. Is it the Utopians or the Teragen who set it up?

If it isn't the Teragen, do we ever learn what happened to Mal and crew?

(My Trinity book should arive by next week ::bigsmile )

Eden (described in Stellar Frontiers) is a planet where novas rule over baselines, with a sort of noblesse oblige in effect, created by exiles from China's Ultimatum. Although not as warped as other abbies, they do nonetheless show some evidence of Taint (just not as bad as The Colony's crew)...

If it helps..

FR

I don't agree with that. Mal never gave a damn about the baselines, all he wanted was for them to go away. Universe Creation gave him a perfectly satisfactory alternative and he took it. It does seem a bit off for him to turn his back on all the other novas, but I suppose he figured it was too late for them to learn Teras.

Out of curiosity, what's Mal's take on psions? Still just jaberring monkeys, evolved like him, or perhaps a happy medium?

I think Eden is a legacy of those Terats who want to rule over baselines. Think about it, it makes perfect sense.

The problem with Mal getting Universe Creation and taking off does part from his character - Mal's a meddler, always has been. He tries to *do* things. After 150 years of trying to push humanity and its more evolved successors, I can't imagine him just taking his toys and leaving.

That's not the Mal I've envisioned from reading about him.

Re: Mal the Meddler- Yeah, but the guy's patience has always been somewhat on the short side. Simple disgust with the baselines' inability to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and clean up their own messes would've been a factor in deciding to go off and live in his own perfect vacation universe.

Re: Edenites as Terats- this would only make sense if they were the nicer Terats who didn't think that slaughtering baselines en masse was such a great idea- and after the Night of Long Knives, you can bet that those Terats were a tiny (and very quiet) minority, if they remained part of the Teragen instead of heading for the hills.

Mal's not a meddler for meddling's own sake, though he does do (more than) his share of it. He just feels the need to share his enlightenment with the rest of novahood. The Teragen is his attempt at doing so. If he really wanted to meddle, he would use his powers to get to a position of authority within Utopia, T2M, or even Proteus or the Directive, then raise hell for as long as he can and disappear. He doesn't have it in for humanity, he just doesn't care about them.

Also, how did Divis trigger the Night of Long Knives? The book tells all about it but it insinuates that it was the result of some manipulation on Mal's part, when it just looks like all the Teragen s- hits the fan at the same time.

According to the Teragen book, the night of long knives can go one of several ways. They give three examples.

Basically, they say, Mal decides to trim the movement. Some folk in the movement have very non-teragen ideas. Two examples are The Confederate hating all aberrants who aren't the Aryan ideal (he doesn't like taint-freaks) and Narcosis' involvement in the Soma trade.

There are also two major-major skisms and people grubbing for power inside the organization.

The details of the senarios presented are rather... complex...

If you're super-interested, buy the book... It boils down to Mal kicking off (but not actually being blamable) for the deaths of certain people. Others get caught in the crossfire, though.

To Mal-the Meddler:

As phoenix said. Mal gets into things because he wants to make a new world for his people. Think of him as the Moses of Nova-kind. As for things that happened "just happening" not from his direct contact. The only thing that happened that didnt work into his hands was the Chinese threatening to blow the earth up. Everyhting else could have (and mabey was) been produced by mal through any of his *multitude* of powers. As it says in Worldwide phase I...he has any power that he needs. That includes Copycat, M-Chr at 3-4, M-App the same...Everythign he needs to gently groom nova's to their role as leaders of the world.

And before you go on about Utopia killing them off and sterilysing then and all that stuff that is bad. Think about this...what better to make 2 races hate eachother then to cause the first one to screw over the second? This way...the Nova's are in the right.

To Night of hte Long Knives:

That was about trimming hte fat so to speak. his lack of patience got the better of him so all the major people (and many non-major people) who didnt follow the Teras or some form of it needed to go. Especially people who hated taint (i.e. hte Confederate) taint is not something you *have* to take....but you cant hate nova's who have a lot...its all in potential.

And narcosis...she was involved in Nova-cide. I would probably hunt her down too.

Exactly, madcat82, exactly.

The reason for Mal not joining Utopia is that he already tried that - and he was tired of being surrounded by those that weren't his equals. And Utopia is primarily a baseline organization - sure, there are a lot of novas in Utopia, but it's still primarily a baseline organization.

After he left the Aeon Society in the early 20th, he wasn't going back, especially not after whatever event caused his falling out with Mercer and the Society.

• 1 year later...

RE Mal and the Night of the Long Knives.

My interpretation of the events is that Mal is an extremely lonely person, has been since his friends in the Aeon Society kicked his arse for working with the Nazis. His various attempts to repeat the Hammersmith Incident (in San Francisco during the 70s and more recently the attempt which caused the Galatea to blow) has been part of a continued quest to find equals with whom he can share companionship.

By the time the Teragen purges itself of less-radical members his desperation has reached such levels that he'll do pretty much anything to get even the faintest taste of what he seeks. The Terats want a quantum-charged messiah who'll lead them by the hand. So that's what he becomes.

It's unlikely Narcosis would be one of the ones taken out during the Night, more likely she and the Apostle unify the Church and Pandaemonium into a more aggressive faction of Mal-loving fanatics. Remember that Apostle wants Narcosis to bear his child, so it's likely he'd protect her from the storm (assuming he hadn't been vaporised when he tried to take on Scripture ::wink ).

Killing other Novas isn't necessarily going to get you thrown out of the Teragen. Epoch does it all the time under the banner of "killing off the weak", and he's worked with Nova "we protect the Novas" Vigilance.

As for Eden...

The most likely founders of the colony are Novas from the Protector and Daedalus League groups. But I would have thought some of the survivors of the Teragen's internal purges made it there and brought the teachings of Teras with them. Perhaps fragments of the Casablancas, and Bounty maybe? I can definitely see Orzaiz going there, assuming he survived.

I don't see the main part of the Teragen as being likely founders of Eden. It's got too many baselines, and the Teragen seems to start off pretty isolationist and get even more radical as the armageddon clock clicks towards the Aberrant War.

I don't see the main part of the Teragen as being likely founders of Eden. It's got too many baselines, and the Teragen seems to start off pretty isolationist and get even more radical as the armageddon clock clicks towards the Aberrant War.

I see Eden as being founded by members of the Trinity Timeline End of Aberrant War 'Space Brigade' - their schtick being benevolent dictatorship. Think about it - 1) They removed themselves from the greater conflict by going to Luna, 2) Although they forcibly took over the Luna colonies they then proceeded to treat the humans there well.

Which is pretty much how Eden works - both Utopian and Teragen philosophies are represented in the society's law. The humans have just become dependent on the Novas.

Or it could have been the Space Brigade ::blush .

(Thinking quickly in order to retro-cover myself)

Of course the Space Brigade could easily have been what the Daedelus League/Protectors alliance called themselves.

(to self) Yeah, that'll cover it ::confused .

• 1 year later...

To answer Phoenix's long ago question, mal doesn't kick off the NOLK. Tension is already brewing between the members. Its more what he doesn't do...He sits back on purpose, knowing they want him to have an opinion, he doesn't offer one and lets the rivalries play out. The strong will survive and he's always wanted Novas to take responsibility for their own problems. Delormier is the real threat...If he takes out the mathematician that settles alot. If he takes out Scripture...well , he better hope he covered up the evidence from Mal real good...

Re: Origin of the Edenite novas-

Amusingly enough, we already have a canon answer as to which Aberrant-era group eventually colonized Eden: one that hasn't made a canon appearance in an Aberrant book. According to Trinity: Stellar Frontiers (p. 125), the proto-Edenites were operating as a group from the mid-2020s. Led by nova physician Dr. Diana Kadmon (who would've been only a 20-21 year-old pre-med student who had yet to erupt in 2015, FYI), the proto-Edenites basically did rescue & public works missions- think Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders.

So Utopian sponsorship is possible, but sounds highly unlikely. Teragen membership sounds even more unlikely. The Daedelus/Protectors alliance possibility is contradicted by canon, as is the Space Brigade possibility. These guys sound like an independent group with little if any factional sponsorship.

Also according to Stellar Frontiers (pp. 100-104), the proto-Edenites saw which way the wind was blowing AFA the Aberrant War, decided it was time to bug out & duplicated the space exploration efforts of what I presume to be the Daedelus League. They found Eden by 2051, and were actively seeking colonists by 2055. The Eden colony was well established enough for the Edenites to cut off all contact with Earth by the time of China's Ultimatum.

Archived