Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Are the background enhancements also from Adventure! or some other resource? If you use material that is not found in the Aberrant books (or other obscure references) it might be an idea to post the specific rules and info about those in a sticky thread.

This prevents people from not knowing what this is all about (I have no idea what Background Enhancements are, although I can make a guess), or feeling left out because they didn't pick these options.

The backgrounds seem fair, although I'd wonder what you really want many followers for - there's only so many you can accurately describe and add to your stories before you lose track of things I reckon.

Sanctum, seems like the Mage background/merit. Having a secret lair seems awesome - does mean however that you might want to make some maps and descriptions of your super-duper flying castle and such. I am not sure if you'd need additional points in effective Cipher from it though - not all lairs/strongholds are secret, and I can imagine them having other (obvious) benefits.

For example:

Training rooms for off-stage skill/power training, a safe location to rest and regain Quantum, Laboratories, safe storage for equipment, etcetera. Some people already have included such things in their descriptions (including how many cars are in the garage) so I think that could be more relevant than Cipher. An example of this is the equivalent as described in Mutants & Masterminds.

Would you like me to take a gander and think some stuff up on the Sanctum front?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
For example:

Training rooms for off-stage skill/power training, a safe location to rest and regain Quantum, Laboratories, safe storage for equipment, etcetera. Some people already have included such things in their descriptions (including how many cars are in the garage) so I think that could be more relevant than Cipher. An example of this is the equivalent as described in Mutants & Masterminds.

The Sanctum background includes all these things, but to be honest normal resources can provide those too. What's special about the Sanctum is that it is remote, secure, and hidden from the vast majority of people, as well as having fringe benefits beyond those allowed by normal mansions. Examples from the Adventure! book include a cave that billows with mists that show the past, or at 5 an island of Amazon warriors who see you as their Queen (NO, Bombshell. That's for Adventure! wink ) Nova-age analogues can easily be formed.

Anyone have any objections to the Background changes? 24 hrs left before they're live.

Due to my PSU being fried and all my e-books being on the currently lifeless PC, I'm going to have to gloss over the Background Enhancements. Suffice to say that they take Backgrounds to the nth degree. They're equivalent to a 6th dot of a Background, cost-wise, but need careful handling by ST's and players not to be game-wreckers.

Example: Resources - Wealth Beyond Avarice. You're Bruce Wayne, Anna DeVries, Tony Stark at the height of his wealth. You don't necessarily RUN a corporation (that's more like Backing 5), but you probably own a couple outright. Logically, most characters that have this will have Backing, Influence and Contacts as well. Financial empires don't spring up in a desert.

If anyone wants to outline the others here, feel free. Otherwise I'll do it in a week when my PSU replacement comes in.

In Charge (Backing)

The Big Kahuna of a major international organization, that's you. Generally a more impersonal but weighty sort of power, as it trickles down to the minions through the proper channels of authority. You are the ultimate head, and (presumably) everyone obeys your will.

Examples: Randal Portman (President of the US), Director Thetis (Project Proteus), Anna DeVries (DeVries)

Enigma (Cipher)

No one knows anything about you that you don't want found out- period. The only exceptions are if you do something stupid to reveal your secrets. For that matter, you can distribute your Cipher dots to any friends, allies, etc. that you want to help protect. If you lose your cover, you regain the Cipher dots.

Examples: Divis Mal, Director Thetis

The Attunement Background Enhancement is called Boosted Attunement, and requires Quantum 6.

Followers and Reputation are A-OK with me. Sanctum... I guess, though personally, I'm not fond of the super-fantastic stuff like the Mists that reveal visions of the future and Islands full of unknown Amazons, of which Bombshell isn't the Queen of. wink Things like that are great for the Pulp Heroes, making the exploits of their explorations that much more fantastic.

But to me, in the Nova age, it's not exploring the world that is the focus (minus the Daedalus League and some people diving into the depths of the oceans) but exploring their own evolution and how Novas want to interact with each other and the baselines. That other junk just detracts from it.

As for Background Enhancements, I very much like you idea Ein about PCs not being able to start with them and needing to develop them in play and with approval.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Naturally, Pulp-style Sanctum types that don't fit in the Nova Age setting are not allowed. Undersea bases, orbital bases, and high-tech mansions tucked away in the mountains are fine.

A further word about this. Other than the orbital base, which moves in a fairly standard and predictable fashion, mobile bases are extremely discouraged. Zeppelins, submarines and large cloaked cruise ships aren't really Sanctums for the purposes of this Background.

Saku - Why not work on drafting some revised Super-Science rules that allow the building of Adventure-style gadgets to make such things possible? There's at least one nova in the Elites book who made his own silent aircraft that flies on the Earth's magnetic currents, so it's not outlandish in the setting. Draw on Adventure, Brainwaves and the APG for inspiration, is my recommendation. Glue it together and propose it on the 200x general board.

It wouldn't be a Sanctum, but it'd still be kick ass.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Fahrenheit has an invulnerability to 'Disrupt'. Per the powers description you can not make a nova invulnerable to a specific power.

'Disrupt' would not be a valid choice.

I changed it to Energy as broad type category which nets me 2 XPs unspent.

Quote:
XP LOG: 06/03/11 +81 (81) Starting XP
06/03/11 -14 (67) Nature Mastery ●●●
06/03/11 -12 (55) Strength ●●●●
06/03/11 -6 (49) Mega-Stamina ● (Enhancement: Resiliency)
06/03/11 -6 (43) Mega-Dexterity ● (Enhancement: Perfect Balance)
06/03/11 -6 (37) Mega-Strength ● (Enhancement: Quantum Leap)
06/03/11 -18 (19) Willpower ●●●● through ●●●●●●●
06/03/11 -14 (5) Healing ●●●

Nature Mastery is a Level 2 Power. It's initial cost would be 6 then 5 then 10 (21 Total). I'm not sure how you got 14.

Healing is Level 3 so it's initial cost is 9 then 7 then 14 (30 Total). I'm not sure how you got 14 again.

Were these purchased tainted?

I imagine that both Level 3 powers (Nature Mastery is the Extra form of Animal/Plant Mastery) were bought to 2 dots with NP, then they'd cost 14 XP each to raise to 3.

I see the confusion, though. Its not terribly clear.

This is a general note for whomever posted the ((Work in Progress)) character in the characters section.

If the character is not completed, fleshed out, and ready to be played, then they do not belong in that section. The characters section is not a dumping ground for possible ideas or works that may or may not see any use.

Please remove the PC and post it when it's completed.

If another moderator was spoken too and the posting of the character was cleared by them, then please disregard this message.

Thanks.

*gasps*

Ein! You should know better! You are a moderator and should be setting the example, not being the example!

You're grounded for one week, tell your little Jael friend that you can't come out and play and I'm taking your PS3 away too. You might be mad at me now, but you'll thank me for this tough love in 10 years or so.

Fianna's been reverse-engineered and updated to fix the previous errors in her sheet. Only one additional NP was spent in correction, with Ein's approval. It's a more efficient build, but I wanted to post here to let everyone know that, yes, some things did change slightly and keep everything above-board. Her previous (incorrect) sheet is still listed in her profile, in a spoiler box.

And this is why I love chat: laugh

Quote:
  [Revenant] 11:22 pm: Sweet! Sunshine's single! Contessa will be giddy.     

[Long6] 11:22 pm: lol

[Carver] 11:22 pm: WB, Reven.

[Revenant] 11:22 pm: I mean, damn. That's fucked up. FREE JAEL!

[Long6] 11:22 pm: poor Jael

[Centimane] 11:23 pm: lol

[Long6] 11:23 pm: Jael Break anyone?

[envoy] 11:23 pm: *groan*

[Revenant] 11:23 pm: Jael Break-UP maybe...

[Long6] 11:23 pm: wait, Alex already did that

[Centimane] 11:23 pm: Will she be doing 'Jael Time' for this?        

[Centimane] 11:24 pm: Or did Sunshine just get a "Get out of Jael free" card?

[Revenant] 11:26 pm: Actually, I think his Getting INTO Jael free" card is what caused the mess...

[Centimane] 11:26 pm: heheh

A note with regards to the Amusing thread in the OpNet.

In case it needed to be said: No, this isn't how Sunshine normally is. Anyone that knows him knows that. He's under strain and Origami's judgemental and high-handed tone touched a match to the powder. Let the fireworks commence grin

Edit: Also, he used the word 'slapnuts'. I blame Mixie's trash-talk.

What's the timeline of all this?

It's getting kind of confusing to work out what's happening when. I presume Sunshine's pissed because of the paedophile thing going on, but if that's happening during GoW... I shouldn't have posted in the thread in the first place for obvious reasons confused

Sunshine: Yeah... Ori has very poor social graces or skills... at least when he can't see who he talks to. If he can read a person he can at the very least produce a neutral stance that's... tolerable... compared to the route he took in the OpNet.

Archived