GDP_ST

What Kia lacked in innate mathematical ability, she made up for in reflexes. She was quick...not superhumanly so, but then neither was Curtis. That said, it was pretty easy to lure her into playing pure defense, simply because she didn't aggressively go for points. On the other hand, she could apparently volley all night without getting tired or stumbling. The only openings she offered were when she was momentarily distracted by Alex and Morri.

At one point then, as the ball was flashing back and forth between their paddles, Kia popped, "They're cute, don't you think?" on Curtis.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ball snapped back off Curtis' paddle and past the distracted Kia. Sheepishly forced to pick up the ball, Kia did notice Curtis rolling his eyes disinterestedly. "And the point of that question is?"

"Point?"

"Ok, well, do you mean 'cute' in the sweet puppy way, or the other?" Curtis clarified. "Because if it's the latter, you're talking to the wrong guy about these things."

"What if it's the third way?" Kia asked with a mischievous smile. "Or the eighty-eighth? Anyway, I just meant that it's very sweet how well they get along together. I could totally see them going out. He's so patient with her, and it seems like she tries extra-hard when he's around, you know? That's all I meant."

She lobbed one of her usual easy serves over the net at Curtis.

“Eeh!” Morri’s attempt to replicate Alex’s singing was amusing, because her E was actually an E-sharp. Even as Alex began to worry that she was tone deaf, she tried again. This time she hit E; she didn’t modulate the volume of her voice. She seemed immune to embarrassment at the moment. “Eehbola!”

“What?” Alex said, looking concerned.

“Pretty name. Eeh not pretty. Ebola pretty,” Morri told him smugly. She had come up with far better name than Alex had. “Eff!” she sang, on tune, then sang, “F-tima! Fatima! See, pretty?” She shook her head sadly that Alex didn’t know pretty very well.

“Those are the names they’ve had for centuries,” Alex protested.

“Don’t know how. Ugly.” Morri had made up her mind and now she happily strummed several Ebola notes. “Teach next note.” She didn’t say please, but her expression was relaxed for once, not guarded as was the normal for her. It was as close as she got to please.

"I..." Alex started to argue some more, then stopped. This was an argument he couldn't win, not here and not now. "Fine." he sighed, smiling despite himself. "Let's go with that for now. Next note is A."

The next ten minutes were spent teaching the Morrigan the sounds of the different open notes. Then Alex moved onto using the fingers as well as the thumb - this part was surprisingly easy, or not so surprising considering the Morrigan's manual dexterity. He started with the middle and index finger exercises, first taking the guitar and showing her, then letting Morri try it herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlVSbfR8awk

Another ten minutes, and Morri was steadily plucking her way up and down the open strings, head cocked to one side as she listened to the waterfall of different notes. It didn't sound like the mew-sick that Alex had been playing earlier, and she frowned at him as though she'd caught him tricking her. Alex, who'd been watching Morri as she got comfortable with the instrument, blinked.

"What is it?" he asked. Morri stopping strumming and sat up straighter, staring intently at him.

"Not sound right." she told him flatly.

"It sounds fine." he protested, puzzled.

"Not sound like you." Morri accused, stabbing a finger at him. Sky-blue eyes went wide with comprehension.

"This is practice, and you're doing great." he told Morri with a smile. "You need to practice a lot: I've been practicing since I was eight years old, and I still have to practice. There might be a mutant out there whose power is picking up a guitar and knowing how to play right away, but I haven't met them." He held out his hands and turned them palm-up, showing Morri his fingers. "See the thick skin there? That's callouses from playing. A lot of playing. It's like school-work: you have to do it, or you don't get better."

"Want mew-sick!" Morri insisted stubbornly, her lower lip going out in a pout. Alex was torn between being charmed and laughing. He remembered a simple open-stringed lullaby and shrugged, nodding.

"Alright, alright. Here, I'll show you. Watch what I do, then you try and copy, okay?" He took the guitar back from Morri - rather, he held out his hands for it and she passed it back - then with her watching he slowly strummed "You Are My Sunshine". He played it very slowly at first, letting Morri see which notes he was playing and when, then he played it through at normal speed. It was a simple variant when performed without using the left hand, but it was music, and should satisfy the feral girl.

"Now you try." he suggested, handing the guitar back to Morri. "If you really want to learn, we'll have to ask Mr Drumm to get you a guitar of your own, so you can practice whenever you like."

Curtis shook his head, in annoyance at the attempts to gossip by Kia as he sharply launched a return hit. Kia parried in turn and the the volleys continued. "If this is of such fascination to you, tell them about it. Otherwise I'd prefer you tried extra-hard to focus on the game."

Leaving aside the inward comments that he suspected hell would freeze long before Morri went out with anyone in that manner.

Kia came dangerously close to a pout that might have caused a rift in space-time from sheer adorableness had it materialized...fortunately she thought of something that put a wicked smile on her face instead.

"Extra-hard, huh? Okay."

Her shirt was the spaghetti-string sort that left her shoulders and some of her back open. It was purple, with a cartoon dog doing some kind of exercise with a caption that had largely worn off. The important part was that it left her shoulder and back open though, because that's where she was suddenly growing extra arms from. As these third and fourth apprendages formed, she went and got another three paddles and faced Curtis across the table; paddle in each hand.

"Ready?"

"Well now since I can stomach most foods... I don't have a preference. Anything with flavor, pizazz, and maybe a little spiciness."

She brushes off her clothes as they walk. "My dietary needs up to a year ago were quite strict. Now... not so much. In fact it's helped me pack on a pound or two in the process. Although my wardrobe has needed a little modification here and there."

She smiles. "What do you like? Heck if you know of a way to find a proper Pizza, I'm always game for that."

A was Aruba. B was Bell. C was Cara. D was Dalah. E, of course, remained Ebola, which F was Fatima. And G was Garou. Alex wasn’t sure where she was getting these from but Morri pulled them out without a second of thought. He was prepared for her rename all of the sharps and flats, too, but she accepted that while Bell had a sharp and a flat, it was still Bell. “Cara-Dalah-Ebola-Fatima-Fatima-Fatima-Ebola…” she sang as she plucked the notes, her face growing more and more excited with each note she sang. “Mew-sick!” she proclaimed, her face lighting up with delight.

“Yes, it is,” Alex replied, smiling at her enthusiasm. “There are words to the song – would you like to learn them?”

Morri nodded, smiling. Alex requested his guitar back and started to sing it, sticking to the normal variant. Morri listened, her face glowing with interest – but that began to change. Her look intensified and her eyes bore into Alex’s expression. When he was done, she grabbed his left wrist and said “Again! Alex, again!”

“Alright,” he agreed, playing the song again. When he was done, Morri was staring into the distance, her expression slack. “Do you like the song?” he ventured when he was done.

Morri looked angry once his words sank into her skull. “Know song,” she insisted, “but mind no-know where. No-know why! Alex… my mind… no-know.” The anger faded and she stared at him sadly. “Again, Alex?”

Curtis raised an eyebrow from the extra arms Kia sprouted, but his snark remained undaunted by the multi-limbed display. "I still have the advantage, unless you can grow an extra head, o Spidermonkey." Kia now pouted, and Curits snorted, which sounded more like a giggle. Recovering his dignity with a scowl, he suddenly turned his gaze over to Morri and Alex, bantering over the 'mew-sick' that Morri was straining to remember.

Kia followed his eyes, getting caught up on the cuteness-

A clatter of ball to the the floor made her realize Curtis had served the ball past her. Kia shook her head while picking it up. "That's no fair." Curtis grinned like a rascal. "Like you, I'll play smarter, not harder."

Kia poked her tongue playfully out and blew a raspberry at Curtis. "I don't need another head to beat you, smarty-pants."

A bump appeared on top of her head...and out from under the black, straight strands of her hair popped a thin, fleshy thing that looked kind of like a finger without any joints. Its tip bulged into an oval...then opened up into an eye that swiveled to watch Morri and Alex.

"Okay," she said, "NOW I'm ready."

And the game began anew! It was no longer one-sided, in part because of Kia's changes, and in part just because she was playing more aggressively now...though still with a clear preference for 'playing' over 'winning.' Even so, her defense was all but impregnable. Four paddles meant she never had to leap or even move her feet much to intercept the ball...nor did she have to sacrifice defense to make a big spike or similar 'attack' move. In contrast, Curtis' brain still thought ahead of the ball, 'seeing' where it was going long before it got there, and determining optimal paths for returns...ultimately he was limited by his body though, and the physical demands of playing against someone with two sets of eyes, four arms, and who never got tired were taking their toll.

However, Curtis had achieved his true goal, and had that to smirk over.

He had finally shut her up.

"...That should give us a big enough landing area' date=' right?"

"Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine. But let's wait till it's warmer weather - not till spring or anything, but maybe next week it'll be a little nicer, the snow will be gone, and we can fly through the air without worrying about frostbite on our faces. Oh my god, this fruit cheesecake thing is to die for. Have they ever made this before?”

“Yeah, but not really very often. It must be someone's favorite or something.”

Like stereotypical teenagers, they spent the next couple of minutes involved in eating and food-talk, as Josh had lingered over the details in his mind.

“So what are we going to do now in the city, other than whatever shopping you've got left? I mean, you've got a whole day pass, and hardly anything you need to spend it doing now!”

Natalie tosses one of the ball bearings to herself as she walks

"I'm pretty good on pizza. You don't mind Meat Lovers, do you, Saku?"

She still seems to be playing around with the ball bearing

"Other than at, I wouldn't mind grabbing a burger or some subs."

"I want all the meat. Meat lovers? Heh, they never put enough on."

She laughs. Happy that her and Natalie were connecting. "So, you are a magnetokinetic, correct?"

She watches as Natalie magnetically juggles the bearing.

"The diversity of the mutant gene is so fascinating."

"Okay." Alex said softly in response to Morri's plea. He gave her a warm, gentle smile. "Again." His fingers moved over the strings, playing the tune properly with all the chords and notes rippling from under his fingertips as they strummed. Blue eyes watched her carefully as he sang, noting her wistful, sad expression. It was hard to watch Morri struggle with her recaltricant memory, but she seemed to just try and listent to the music and the words, her eyes half-closing in a kind of reverie until he came to the end once more.

"Someone sang that to you, I think." the glowing youth told Morri gently. "Probably your mum, or dad. It's the sort of song parents sing to their children." He gazed into her glowing red eyes, not discomfited so much by them as he had been a short while ago. "I learned it from my nanny." he said with a wry smile. "My dad was busy all the time and my mum...? Well, she's not exactly what you'd call a warm person. She hired a nanny for me before I was even on solid food. Margie - that was my nanny - she was the one that raised me really. Not my parents." He sighed, then shrugged it away, fixing his eyes on hers again.

"You will remember one day, Morri." he told her encouragingly. "I know Director Drumm and other people here will help you. And... if you like, I'll keep teaching you different songs. Maybe you'll know them too. Maybe they'll help." He smiled. "It'll be fun anyway, won't it?"

Morri listened closely to Alex. He was telling her something Important, but she wasn’t really sure what it was. She also wasn’t sure what a Nan-Nee was. But more than that, thinking about Alex meant she wasn’t struggling to re mem bere something that wasn’t in her head but should be. “Yes, fun,” she said. “Another mew-sick!”

“Hmm,” the handsome boy said as Morri waited with quiet attentiveness. His fingers brushed over the strings lightly as he thought and the feral noted that to try it later. The whisper of sound that was created was rather pretty. “Okay, got it. Watch my fingers.” Morri watched closely as he played the song leisurely, his fingers moving with painful slowness. He played it again at the proper tempo adding the words in, then again at the slow pace. “You try,” he said, handing it back to her.

The song was a lot harder and Morri struggled with it. Alex had to help her with the fingering, and even after she’d finally played it through once, it didn’t sound right. Clearly, this would take Prac Tice. Still, she tried again and again, singing the lyrics instead of note-names. “Whale you dun dun me and you bet eye felt it eye tried to be chil butt your sew hot eye melted eye fell right thru the craks now eyem tryin’ two get back…” It wasn’t until Alex was able to sit back and listen that he realized that perhaps I’m Yours was a poor choice. He’d only picked it because it was simple but a ‘real’ song – something she could impress people by playing – with gender-neutral lyrics. When he glanced around the room, he saw that most of the kids were watching intently.

“… Whale oh pen up your mind and sea like me, oh pen up your plants and dam your free, look in two your hart and you will fine love love love love…” How had he ended up being serenaded by a feral mutant in front of what felt like half the student body? “…Sew peas don’t peas don’t peas don’t theres no kneed to comp ply Kate cause our time is short, this was this was this was our hate eyem yours.”

“Uh, that’s this was our fate,” he corrected, “not hate. But otherwise real nice.” He glanced at the clock. “Hey, we better get back to the pie. It’s almost been an hour.”

Morri smiled at him, a real smile. “You good,” she told him.

“Than-” Alex swallowed what he was saying when she put the guitar down and slid across the couch toward him. Before he could do more than blink, she’d pressed herself to him and put her chin on his shoulder. That wasn’t so bad, but her hands seemed to naturally plop down on top of his thigh with no care to proximity. For a long moment, he was frozen, with her warm breath blowing over one ear and cheek.

Then she scooted back, hollered, “Pie!” and ran over to Kia and Curtis. He watched as she bounced in circles around their ping pong game singing, “Pie-pie-pie-pie,” to the tune of I’m Yours. She continued until they stopped and agreed it was time for pie.

The other students were still staring at him.

Somewhat flustered from the sudden gesture of... Affection? Thanks? Marking territory? ...Alex took a moment to realise that every other eye in the rec room was still on him. He tried to retain his composure despite the blood suffusing his golden features, giving them all a coolly defiant glower. Moving with a deliberately unhurried pace, he stood and slid his guitar back in it's soft carry-case. At least Morri is happy he told himself, watching the feral girl bouncing around Kia and Curtis, singing 'Pie!'

"What?" he demanded of the nearest group, consisting of several girls and one guy. The guy was smirking, but the girls had expressions that could only be summed up as 'cuted-out'. A freshman junior with feathers in place of hair gave him a smile.

"Nothing." she said brightly. One of her friends giggled.

"She wanted to learn." he said, a little plaintively.

"Nothing wrong with that." said another girl, this one a senior by the looks of her. She grinned at Alex. "If you're thinking of giving more lessons, I'm game." The grin turned naughty. "You can even charge me: I'm sure we can work something out."

Alex fled for the dubious comfort of rabbit and starling pie.

As the group headed back for the Home Ec room and the delicious rabbit pie, Kia kept giving Alex and Morri beaming sidelong grins of utter beguilement. Clearly she was firmly in the 'cuted-out' camp, and would probably be buying her 'AlMorri' memorabilia as soon as someone had the wit to start selling it.

It wasn't until they got into the hallway though, and Morri went bounding ahead to the door when she actually smelled the pie and could no longer even passably contain herself that Kia said softly to Alex, "That was really sweet what you did for her. I've never, ever, seen her this happy."

Curtis had not been sure whether to laugh or to face-palm at the event. Of course, he reflected, that in his own opinion it was just harmless childish thanks and fun on Morri's part... but there was a teenage girl's body around that very very young mind, and it might be only a matter of time at some point. Naturally, this called for ribbing Alex, so Curtis slowed down his pace to fall in besides Alex and Kia.

"Don't worry about it Alex." Curtis assured him, referring clearly to the embarrassment of Morri's seeming serenade. "Like Kia said. You were just being very kind. And of course-" he began singing to the tune of the song- "this was your fate-" Alex blushed and scowled a little, and Curtis snickered under his breath.

"Well... if Josh here wants to come with us," Sonja said, quirked a fine, fair brow in question at the only boy at the table, "then I'll swing by Admin to get the keys to the school van and I'll have space to bring back a new a bed."

"Oh, JB, is all you think about is shopping? You can do that anytime online," Aradia countered. "We have an entire day in the city."

"I am not buying a bed online. Got to test it out first," Sonja said with a sniff of mock condescension. "I'm tired of sleeping in one with my feet hanging off the end of it or needing to curl up in a ball. That might work for you, Ari, but not for me." Full lips pouted as she stole the last bite of Aradia's cheesecake with a darting fork. "And I don't shop all the time..."

The big beauty finished the last of her meal, neatly stacking her plates on the edge of the table and looked at the others. "What do you guys want to do, after I get a new bedframe and mattress... and maybe a few other things? We can see what's going on at Madison Square Gardens or check something out on Broadway." She pulled on her new, pink coat, brushing her cheek against the smooth leather of the collar with a pleased murmur. "My treat, since I don't have to buy as much as I thought I did."

Morri dashed ahead; she smelled the pie the moment they were in the building. The others continued at their same pace as she opened the door to the home-ec room. The smell became even more apparent here, and Morri sung, “Pie! Pie! PIIIIIEEE!” as she yanked open the oven door. She knew how ovens worked; she’d seen Alex use it. Eagerly, she scooped up the pie tin.

She only had it half-out of the oven when she realized it was really hot. In her eagerness, she’d failed to notice the heat coming out of the oven. The little feral almost dropped the tin there, but she remembered that the offending metal contained her pie. If she released it, she might lose her pie, and it still smelled good.

Moving quickly, she turned and put the pie on the counter. The three other students arrived to find her staring at her burnt fingers, her expression pained. “Morri,” Kia asked, “did you burn yourself?”

“No come!” the feral yelped, spreading her burnt fingers protectively over the pie in case one of them tried to touch it. “Hurts! No touch!”

Ronaldo waits at the office, and eventually the stern grey haired matron type of a secretary hands him a key and says "Number 28. You get to pick your side of the room."

"Thank you ... where is that, if I might ask?" said Ronaldo .... and the matron just pointed to the floor plan safety plaquard on the wall next to the office door.

He picked up his things, and began to wander round the school. The floor plan hadn't exactly been labeled ... or that detailed. Room 28 might be, hmmm, on the second floor?

As he went up a stair well, to discover this particular building has a room 28 but it was a second floor class room. Then he was back down the stairs, and in another wing ...when he smelled an amazing aroma. Meat of some kind, and maybe ... vegetables, or baked bread?

He made his way toward the smell. Must be the cafeteria ... he did not think so with the floor plans, but then he might be lost. It was possible.

Kia nodded placatingly and said, "It's okay, none of us will touch the pie. Here...lets get that hand of yours under some cold water." She went to the sink and soaked one of the towels in cold water, then brought it over to Morri.

"Wrap your hand in this, and it'll feel better. We'll let the pie cool off before we cut it up and eat it."

"I want all the meat. Meat lovers? Heh, they never put enough on."

She laughs. Happy that her and Natalie were connecting. "So, you are a magnetokinetic, correct?"

She watches as Natalie magnetically juggles the bearing.

"The diversity of the mutant gene is so fascinating."

"Meatlovers is a kind of pizza where they put a bunch of different meat topings. Pepperoni, sausage, bacon, ham. The works"

Natalie nods in response to Saku's question

"Yeah. I also got the ability to create and manipulate electricity as well."

She said reaching the entrance to the cafeteria

"Well other than making IQ tests look wanting and flying, that's all I really got other than my inventive streak. I like to build things pretty much."

Sakurako looks around the cafeteria and is impressed with the choice of furniture.

"I expected something more spartan, but these tables and chairs... very Victorian inspired. Perhaps a slice of neo-gothic..."

She adjusts her glasses. "I'm going to be spoiled here... Wait... I smell... Pie. A meat pie. Coming from next door... That's where the home economics lab is... I wonder... Excuse me for a moment, I'm going to check things out. I should introduce myself."

She smiles and walks out then over to the Home Ec lab and sees everyone grouped around a oven and a pie.

"Oh! Smells definitely like a meat pie! Looks outstanding and... wait is she hurt?"

She walks over to where Kia and Morrigan are standing and she pulls out a small first aid kit from her jacket. "What sort of injury is it? I'm not seeing any blood..."

As the group headed back for the Home Ec room and the delicious rabbit pie, Kia kept giving Alex and Morri beaming sidelong grins of utter beguilement. Clearly she was firmly in the 'cuted-out' camp, and would probably be buying her 'AlMorri' memorabilia as soon as someone had the wit to start selling it.

It wasn't until they got into the hallway though, and Morri went bounding ahead to the door when she actually smelled the pie and could no longer even passably contain herself that Kia said softly to Alex, "That was really sweet what you did for her. I've never, ever, seen her this happy."

"Don't worry about it Alex." Curtis assured him, referring clearly to the embarrassment of Morri's seeming serenade. "Like Kia said. You were just being very kind. And of course-" he began singing to the tune of the song- "this was your fate-" Alex blushed and scowled a little, and Curtis snickered under his breath.

"It's not like that." he said quietly to Curtis as they walked along. "I don't know the details, but it's obvious that Morri's had a rough life. And yet, when I was out in the woods feeling sorry for myself, she came and tried to cheer me up... admittedly by dropping a dead rabbit on me, but she meant well. She's very sweet, really." He smiled at Morri's back as she darted into the Home Ec room, then grinned abashedly at Kia. "She does look happy, doesn't she? I'm glad she likes music, though I wasn't expecting the hug." he laughed softly. "That took me by surprise."

"I bet." Kia said with an infectious grin. "You are kinda huggable, though." she added, then blushed a little. The blush deepened as Alex gave her a slightly mischievous, but warm smile, and Kia subsided into a rare bout of tongue-tied silence for a moment, fighting the urge to giggle or dig herself deeper by trying to 'explain' what she meant. Besides, she wasn't sure exactly what she meant herself. Alex was hard to regard platonically. It's like being smiled at by an angel, she mused.

Then they entered the Home Ec room and saw Morri had burned herself. Kia swung into action with her usual calm cheeriness, and Alex smiled at Morri, adding his own reassurances.

"We use these to take things out of the oven, Morri." he explained, setting his guitar down and picking up a pair of oven mitts. "It can't burn through these." As the red-eyed girl watched with the cold wet bandage around her hand, Alex slipped the mitts on and deftly lifted the pie tin up. "See? Doesn't hurt. Are you okay?" he asked.

The door opened, heralding another player entering the stage. A young bespectacled Japanese girl walked in, commented on the pie, and then walked up to the Morrigan with absolutely no fear at all - which meant that this must be a new student. Only those totally unfamiliar or very familiar with the Morrigan would do something like that, Alex imagined.

"Um... You might want to be careful." he warned the newcomer, noting the pinkish hair and bright helpful intelligence in her eyes. "Morri doesn't know you yet." Indeed, the Morrigan was staring at the new girl with a mix of curiousity and wariness. "Morri? Are you okay?" Alex asked, trying to get her attention.

Sakurako stops for a moment and thinks. "Hmm... he could be right. I've no idea if she has some sort of field or something that could harm me..."

She shows careful prudence and steps back to just a little past arms reach once she sees everything is handled.

"Everyone, I thought I should add another new student is in the cafeteria next door. I thought I'd stop in and see what was going on and let you know."

She looks back to Morrigan with genuine concern. "I have to concur with Mr... I don't know your name... he glows and that's cool... but still, are you okay, Miss?"

Sakurako was used to people swarming to her aid before her mutation fixed her, to her this seemed natural behavior.

She looks to the glowing young man and blushes. "I'm Sakurako, Sakurako Hino." Her sudden interest with Alex is only momentary as her concern continues to be the well-being of Morrigan.

if Josh wants to come with us... Josh shook his head, wanting to make sure that he heard them right. He then processed everything that he had heard but had put on hold while he was working out vectors, masses, velocities and trajectories. He nodded some before he spoke, coming back into the conversation. "Yeah, sorry, hadn't thought about how cold the water would be, you're right. I do want to be sure and take every precaution though.

And what exactly did you have in mind, Sonja? I'm from the city, but in all honesty it's been a good while since I've been out. Besides, i don't know how much help I'd be, I'm not good for fashion, on people or furniture..." He shrugged, "...but if you really want me to come..."

Professor Jensen, I know you had something to do with this, I don't know how or why... you just want the lab all to yourself...

“You good?” Morri bluntly asked the girl in pink.

“That’s her way of asking if you’re a nice person,” Curtis said with a smirk. “Morri doesn’t like to wait to form her own opinions; she’s happy to take yours.”

“I am very nice,” Sakurako said, not really taking her eyes from Alex.

The newcomer didn’t smell quite right to the young feral and her red eyes narrowed as she considered what the problem was. After a moment, she realized that the girl smelled frail. “You sick?”

“Morri!” Kia said softly, sounding like Eileen. “Don’t ask that! It’s a little rude.” She had bandaged her hands, just like Eileen would, and Morri decided that Kia was Eileen. Not in the sense that they were the same being, but they were the same type of person. It meant that Morri could trust Kia, and something unknotted inside of her. Each person she took in brought the little beast one step closer to being comfortable and at ease here. Morri was building a home – pack is the word she would have used. And each person around her, each person who she trusted made that a little more possible.

“You eat,” she ordered Sakurako. “Pie good. Pie make strong. You need strong. Alex need too.” Perhaps Curtis was right; someone else should form Morri's opinions for her.

At that moment Ronaldo walked in to the Home Ec lab, carrying his large backpack and foot locker on top of that with one hand and a vauge scorpion like 'tail' that seemed to be made of shadowy dark matter 'spouting' from his back ... and then migrating to 'sprout' from his upper shoulder as he sought bracing while opening the door. He grinned widely as he poked his head through the door and waves "Oh, hello everyone, I'm Ronaldo ... and Sakurako ... Natalie ... this cannot be the cafeteria? ... but I seem to have found you both again though, this is good." He inhaled deeply, and his stomach actually growled "Oh, but this smells so good. Someone is a talented chef."

Kia blinked in surprise as yet another person strolled in, and quickly flashed a wry grin around.

"I guess it's a good thing we used the whole rabbit. So...hi to Ronaldo and Sakurako. I'm Kia, and this is Morri and Alex and Curtis. We made a pie out of a rabbit that Morri and Alex caught. You're welcome to try some too, but just be warned that none of us are professionals? Annnnd...so we can't promise it'll be good."

She sniffed deeply though and sighed. "It does smell good though, doesn't it? I've never had rabbit before. I'm really curious about what it'll taste like."

"I don't need strong." Alex muttered under his breath, even as he smiled at the newcomer. He squinted at the pie. "There's enough for everyone to try a taste. If it's good, we can make a bigger one next time."

"Don't encourage her." Curtis grinned slyly. "She'll be killing bunnies left and right."

"Good point." Alex blinked, abashed, then looked at Morri. "After this, let's not kill any more rabbits until... uh... I ask?" He shrugged at Kia.

"Eat pie!" Morri declared/ordered, sniffing at the dish.

"Right." Alex sighed as he fetched a knife and stack of paper plates. Deftly, the glowing solar mutant sliced the pie into six equal pieces, flipping each one onto a plate and handing them around. Kia handed round forks, and the mutant teens stood there, each staring at their plate.

"Well?" Kia asked Alex, nudging him. He was looking at the pie carefully, as though trying to detect food poisoning.

"Seems cooked." he said. "Oh well, down the hatch." he broke off some with his fork, blowing on it to cool it, and popped it in his mouth, aware that everyone, Morri included, was watching him. "Ackshually, it'sh pretty good." he said as he swallowed. It said everything one needed to know about Alex's looks that he even made talking with his mouth full look good.

"Pie good!" Morri exclaimed happily, then fiddled with her fork, trying to emulate Alex.

Sakurako holds her hands up like she was directing all traffic to stop.

"Wait, she hunts on school property?" She says, holding a hand towards her in a non-accusatory and neutral manner. "Fascinating. Maybe she can give me some insights on my interests in surviving in the outdoors."

She turns to everyone. "Well we cannot eat in here, Natalie is waiting for us in the Cafeteria. We should meet up with her."

She turns back to Morrigan, with a comforting and assuring look. "Morri, if that is what you prefer, I was ill. I was afflicted with a genetic disorder that almost killed me. But then my mutation activated and I became fit as a fiddle. Unfortunately the disease has left it's physical damage. This is the me you're going to see for the rest of my days I'm afraid... the hair though is my affectation. I dyed it. It turned white from shock a year ago."

She goes quiet and looks morose. "I'll meet everyone... at the cafeteria."

She walks in, back to Natalie. She holds her locket in her hand, still looking depressed. "I'm... sorry I left you behind but I was getting the cooks in here to meet up. I didn't mean any disrespect."

The fork was annoying; the bandages even worse. They constricted and caught on the bandages, irritating her. With a growl, she threw the fork down the length of the table; still making that rumbling noise, she tore off her bandages.

“Morri…” Kia protested, but she fell silent when she saw that the fingers were already better. Meanwhile, Sakurako’s announcement was met with an uncertain blink.

“No eat here?” Morri asked, then, as if to prove yes she could, she snatched up the pie with her bare hands and took a large bite. It was falling apart on her, but she persisted, picking up pinches of it to put in her mouth. “Pie!” she chirped happily. It was good.

“There are seats… chairs… more silverware in the cafeteria,” Kia said softly, watching as Morri shoveled the pie into her face. “Morri, let’s go over there, ok?”

“Pie!”

“Yes, yes… we’ll bring the pie.”

Natalie has been waiting by the cafeteria entrance, making several of her ball bearings hit up against one another with her magnetic powers

"Nah it's cool. I was looking around anyways."

She said shrugging, a few of the ball bearings returning to her pockets.

"So who else is coming to eat with us, then?"

Morri bounced into the cafeteria, her plate held before her like a trophy. She could hardly be more excited - or proud, really - as she was at that moment. She was rather like a cat in her saunter and smug satisfaction; had she had a tail, it would have been pointing straight up in the air.

Then she saw Sonja and the smugness was forgotten as her eyes widened. “Sonja!” she shrieked, loudly enough that one of the more nervous kids started a small fire on his plate. “PIE!” The fire billowed a little higher but Morri was unaware as she dashed across the room. She dodged tables without incident and jumped to a stop in front of her massive blonde friend. “PIE!”

“I see that, where did it come from?” Sonja asked, smiling. To her shock, Morri carefully sat down the plate, then turned to her. The feral’s happiness was so overwhelming that she actually snuggled against her friend, rubbing her head and face against Sonja. Unfortunately for cultural norms – and a few of the guys’ pants – Sonja’s breasts were right at Morri’s head level. The entire cafeteria watched as the feral gave them hours of pornographic material. It was worse somehow, to know that Morri had no idea what she was doing. “Whoa, hey,” Sonja said, catching her by the shoulders. “What’s going on? What’s in that pie?”

“Alex! Rabbit! Stars ling! Mew-sick, and Pie!” The day was summed up a rapid-fire burst of words. Then the feral paused, her expression going somber. She picked up the plate that contained what was left of her piece of pie. “Morri sheer pie on Son Ja.” Morri extended the plate up high enough to be under Sonja’s nose. “Alex-rabbit-stars ling pie good. Morri sheer.”

Sakurako smiles as she takes a seat and watches everyone interact with Morrigan. In a way, she is fascinated. So innocent but there was an air of danger about her. It seemed that she was friends with most here. And she was trusted. So, even though she was more feral as a human being, she was still human, and worthy of the same respect and consideration.

It made things more complex that every student in that cafeteria was like her. A mutant.

She didn't feel alone anymore. She didn't feel like a monster or a freak or perversion. She was among equals.

She doesn't catch herself starting to tear up, and wipes some of those tears from her eyes.

She was still loved by her Aunt but she was like clinging to a life preserver in a wide ocean. Now... her rescue ship feels as if it has arrived.

She whispered to herself. "Finally... something... normal."

"Sure, why not, Josh?" Sonja said with good cheer. "Leave the fashion to me and Ari, there's more for us to do than just shopping in the city after I get some necessities. There's..."

Sonja turned around to lead Josh and Aradia to the school van, but before she could expound on what they could do in the five Burroughs, she found Morri bounding to a stop right in front of her, burying her face between her mountainous breasts, each one more than a match in size for Morri's head. The towering teen imagined her cheeks growing as pink as her coat with all the eyes on them, but since Morri obviously didn't mean to nearly motorboat her and was so exuberant with joy, Sonja waited a long moment before gently holding her by the shoulders and opening a bit of space between them, She brushed aside the slight stiffening going on inside her sweater as a purely autonomic response - surely it couldn't be anything else.

“Whoa, hey. What’s going on? What’s in that pie?”

“Alex! Rabbit! Stars ling! Mew-sick, and Pie! Morri sheer pie on Son Ja. Alex-rabbit-stars ling pie good. Morri sheer,” came the incredibly concise response.

"Morri share pie with Sonja," Sonja corrected absently, raising a dubious eyebrow at the proffered offering held up right under her nose. The list of ingredients gave her pause - especially after seeing what some of the local... wildlife endured from that antics of the Chemical Brothers, among others - but Morri's eyes were bright and her smile wide and Sonja didn't have the heart to decline her gift.

She gave it a surreptitious whiff and finding nothing immediately offensive, returned Morri's smile and nodded her thanks. "Thank-you, Morri. It does smell good."

She picked up the piece of pie, still hot from the oven and gave it a tentative bite, the crust flaking apart in her mouth. Rabbit and starlings? There better not be any Alex in this... It was... decent, especially for something she suspected wasn't made in Home Ec class, even if it was made with the facilities. She quickly finished the remaining bit of pie in a few big bites, quirking her brow in question at Alex and Kia over Morri's head before grinning down at her.

"Tasted good too, Morri. Alex and Kia teaching you to cook?" God, it's nice to see Morri so engaged. Maybe we should set up another dance. What else will catch her attention... Sonja purse her lips thoughtfully. Bringing Morri to the city probably wasn't a great idea, but she couldn't stay confined to campus forever either. If I - we - keep an eye on her, stay away from large crowds... it might not be so bad. What could go wrong? "Hey guys. We were going to head into the city in a bit - I need to get some... stuff - then see what else we could do, but we can wait 'til you've finished eating, if you want to join us. Could be like a field trip, minus the chaperones."

Archived