Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - OOC: Discussions

Krul

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's horrifyingly addictive in a way that WoW really wasn't for me...even though mechanically it's almost the same.

The addition of the class storylines gives it (for me) a dimension MMORPG's have always lacked...a kind of narrative substrate that makes all the questing and grinding meaningful.

I already want to play my Sith Inquisitor in a 'real' game now. :)

For me, it's not just the class storylines, it's the interaction with your companions as well. Just adding the voice acting, for both the NPCs and PCs adds a greater depth and interactivity to the game. I'm nto usually one for MMOs - I'm a casual player and usually tire of the game within a few months - but SWTOR feels considerably more like a single player game that you can play with others if you wish. It feels just like the first two KOTOR games, which incidentally moved me from having a Playstation to an XBox.

Okay...

There are 3 things I want.

1: Can we get a deadline for wrapping Interludes that are currently active?

2: Can we know when the next story arc begins?

3: Can you delegate some of your duties to the ASTs you've taken on so that there's some more movement?

CoQF has worked up to this point. I'm sure you can take a hour or so from SWTOR to reconnect with us.

Because Krul isn't able to be here atm, I'm offering to step up a bit and run some plot to help take up the slack. That said, I can't really affect stuff that we are waiting on for Krul except in minor ways. So I'm taking requests for plot now. I have a few provisions:

1. I don't do combat particularly well. Conflict and cinametic fights, yes. Combat by the hard numbers no. So if you're wanting a trog hunt or to go beat up some Upies, I would prefer you ask another aST (by which I mean Long, as Mala is much the same).

2. I do conflict well - setting people against one another and having big fights that are written without hard numbers. I'd be happy to do that.

3. I need a nugget of an idea from you. I can't work off of "I want to do stuff". Now, I can work with "I want my PC to find a hidden cabal of Proteus and try to inflitrate it". Send me a PM to get that started.

4. Respect my time. I can only promise an update on Sundays, and my three games that I am ST for will come first. This isn't being mean; I have to limit my time so that RL stuff gets done. I effectively work 55 hours a week when you add in my commute time to and from work. I've been sick as well and am trying to get fiction writing done so that someday, I can be a full-time author when I grow up.

5. Respect my no's. If I tell you I can't run for you, it's not personal. It's a matter of I can only take on so much aST stuff.

If you want a hard number combat, I'm your man.

I am able to udate as often as need be, though as things stand unless I'm off it will not be until after 9pm CST.

I can do conflict as well, though I admit, I do not particularly enjoy byzantine political intrigue, and would not consider myself capable of properly running such a story. (Go to Carver or Mala, they're much better at that sort of story)

Please note that I am an aST that believes very much in consequences. If you have me run a thread for you, I fully expect that what happens will not be retracted. I do not like killing characters, but if asked for a difficult challenge, I will generate such, and this can potentially result in PC death.

Just so you know, today I am going to be focused on sleep and swtor..

But tomorrow, I intend to work on being around more here, to help work on some threads.. I'll be concentrating on the oldest incomplete threads though.. trying to work though them to some of the newer more active ones... and there are a number of issues and PM's that I need to address, I will be trying to work my way though those as well.

With regards to my assistants

Combat wise - I welcome anything Long has in mind, in terms of combat I have every confidence in him, if you want to start or involve yourself in a thread with a good bit of combat, feel free to ask him. Be warned however, the only reason I would step in to rescue a character is in the case of a second generation, being in extreme danger can trigger apothesis.. otherwise, be prepared to roll with the punches, as long says.

In terms of social dynamics, I have every confidence in Carver and Mala.. they do it well, if you want a club gathering, or to involve yourself in politics or to deal even with exploring the moral dimensions of your powers, feel free to ask either of them, combat too is fine.

Of course, expect me to keep a closer idea on threads where your actions could have major repercussions for the world as a whole..

Adrian, you could PM all the aSTs with it. Mala and I can help with the politics, and Long can run any combats that arise. As he said - no one of us have to do it all. :)

And Krul, welcome back. I totally understand getting sucked into SWTOR. :P

I'd be interested in getting Alexandra into a Utopian plot. In fact, that or Teragen...since those are the major loci of nova power in the world, I think she'd make an effort to be more involved in feeling them out and getting to know them.

Just to clarify, the bonus I granted in the Greek letter threads is collective and on top of everything else, just a general bonus to everyone as a sort of thank you for everyone working together to make this a wonderful and engaging story for all players... and a late christmas gift, if you want to see it that way.

Special note to all:

On May 30th, there emerges a mysterious black sun, a counterpart to the sun we know, lasting for 16 hours before vanishing. This was something, for those in the know, nothing more than Darrik pushing himself in order to channel Chrysalis for the first time. Incidentally, the Shroud power made the 'sun', a sphere 440 km from the ground, up in the thermosphere 4 km in diameter. But it looks at that distance roughly the same size as the larger real star. Reference it as you please.

Just tossing out points of reference...an object 440km above the Earth's surface is basically in low orbit, and would be visible to a large area of the ground, but not as large as, say, the moon. I expect it was directly over Darrik when he created it, so it's reasonable to assume people in high northern or low southern latitudes can't see it.

I leave the sociological effects of such a portent up to the mods, of course. :)

...and 2027 of the Nova Age is a pretty jaded time ... hardly mass panic in the streets

You kidding? There'll be doomsday cults leaping on this thing like an especially tasty brand of ice cream.

A lot of people will definitely just shrug and say 'random Nova stuff', but a black sun - seemingly - is definitely going to freak out a lot of religious folk. I could definitely see this having some ramifications. If Krul wants it too, of course.

Okay, I see a need to work something out OOC, so that IC can remain IC.

Something about Alex seems to have crawled up Starseed's butt...and it wasn't intentional, but there it is. Lets get on the same page OOC, so we can make sure it wasn't just me being dense where Alex probably wouldn't have been. I am sadly far more limited than my character, and clearly something unintentional's happened. These little behind the scenes collaborations can help compensate for that kind of thing.

So what's up?

Lol - Max. I assure you everything is fine OOC.

But IC, it does seem that Alex doesn't like Star. At least from Star's perspective. Of course, she may be reading Alex wrong ... but she only gets to make her decision based on what was said and done (or not done), rather than what Alex may have meant.

It was only kind of cold shoulder stuff before, but consider that Alex has demonstrated all of this knowledge, capability and an incredible surveillance network. Yet can't spare about 5 seconds since last meeting and send over a simple set of information so that Star can contact her by radio.

This meeting, whether you intended it in your writing OOC or not ... Alex basically trashed just about everything Star is doing as crap. Or in the case of Exalt! which is pretty public (i.e. pick a newspaper once a week public) it is very odd why Alex would just kind of speak to that as if Star wasn't there ... Star has the idea, based on Alex's cool show of gathering intelligence with this massive network last meeting, that Alex really must know basic current events (even third or fourth page stuff). So from Star's perspective its pretty implausible that, given Alex has made a plan with Exalt! for the super-secret precious taint cure ... that Alex would be unaware of its basic organizational structure. It just doesn't jive ... except as a backhanded insult / desire to ignore Star.

Likewise, the way Alex asked about this 'GNS thing' ... slightly rude, and again Star naturally assumes that Alex would keep up with the news. Its quite weird her even asking the way she did. GNS is exactly the sort of stuff that ends up on the covers of niche magazines (if there is a Popular Science by this time in 2027, GNS has been in it already for example ... for goodness sake, this is the first public voyage to the stars! There has been ludicrous amounts of press, and Alex would have to have been in a month long coma to miss it). Plus a whole bunch of other little bits that seem to be barbs once the context of what is said comes under that light.

Added to the fact that what Alex says about the future still seems pretty dark to Star. Lots of talk, as she said, of Novas and humanity being separate. Novas leaving, etc .... which Alex did clarify sort of. Still, it sounds to her that Alex is planning for Nova exodus to leave humanity ... all the language employed really does still read as separatist. Thats just not what Star believes is the right way - and may be a genuine bone of contention in this case. Plus, given the big fuss Alex made over communicating clearly Star has to assume that Alex says precisely what she means - that when Alex outlines her big plan she is doing it in a way that would make sense to others.

Star, of course, is not afraid of telling someone she thinks they are wrong. If they can demonstrate they are right, all the better ...

So she voiced her disagreement with that general part of Alex's plan / assumptions. To clarify here, Star thinks its a cultural problem - nothing to directly do with technology at all. If Novas or Humans spread to the stars without social changes then we're just magnifying the problem. Expansion does offer a short to medium term pressure valve, which is why Star is socially engineering humanity to do in system stuff (by 2027, with a very easy assist from Novas, humanity can colonize the system. Once infrastructure is up there in micrograv and on low-g bodies, they can sustain and grow it by purely baseline means ... essentially, its still getting to LEO and the limits of the rocket equation that are the issue ... and the solar system is a big big big place. Colonizing the system could be a nice social pressure valve for one maybe two centuries. A nice example of channeling the human cultural energy into something besides obsessing over novas, and race war.)

So, Star is wondering if she said or did something to offend Alex ... wants to be careful not to do it again. Pretty much like it says in the post.

Star really wants to make nice, genuinely. Things seemed to be going pretty well last meeting ....This meeting Alex keeps 'dissing' her. Yes, I used that term, but its pretty accurate :D

Okay, this is what I figured was going on, and it's why I wanted to hash this out OOC instead of IC. The problem is less with Alex and more with the sad sack that is Alex's player. I'll go in sections to illustrate:

It was only kind of cold shoulder stuff before, but consider that Alex has demonstrated all of this knowledge, capability and an incredible surveillance network. Yet can't spare about 5 seconds since last meeting and send over a simple set of information so that Star can contact her by radio.

There was something of a...hiatus...for me in between this meeting and the last. From my point of view (the player), the last meeting was very recent. To be honest, I have no idea how much game time has elapsed. If Star wanted Alex's contact info, she could certainly have had it during that time.

This meeting, whether you intended it in your writing OOC or not ... Alex basically trashed just about everything Star is doing as crap. Or in the case of Exalt! which is pretty public (i.e. pick a newspaper once a week public) it is very odd why Alex would just kind of speak to that as if Star wasn't there ... Star has the idea, based on Alex's cool show of gathering intelligence with this massive network last meeting, that Alex really must know basic current events (even third or fourth page stuff). So from Star's perspective its pretty implausible that, given Alex has made a plan with Exalt! for the super-secret precious taint cure ... that Alex would be unaware of its basic organizational structure. It just doesn't jive ... except as a backhanded insult / desire to ignore Star.

Hehe, this is a combination of IC and OOC. I'll start with the OOC.The fact is that I, the player, had no idea Starseed was in charge of a branch of Exalt. Truthfully, Alex should have. But frankly, Alex should know a LOT of things that I simply don't. Some of that is because there are SO MANY THREADS that I cannot read them all. Some of it is because our GM isn't on much, and even when he is I'm not sure even what to ask beyond, "Hey...uh...what do I know?" Which isn't a very useful question for him. As a player, I'm also pretty ignorant of things like GNS and what it's doing beyond just putting things in orbit and being a space tourism thing. Alex, again, would know more...but since we didn't communcate prior to the thread...well...there we go.I could have asked before posting...but frankly you guys post so fast and so often that I felt it best just to jump in.

The IC part of it all is that Alex can be brusque. She tends to scoop up info, put it in a little box in her head, and move on...often very quickly. She's also kind of focused on what she's doing...so when confronted with Star's info, for example, once she determined it wasn't going to be of much use to her technologically, she set it aside. That doesn't mean she doesn't like, or sees no value in Starseed or what she's doing...it just means she has no immediate questions or comments to make on that specific data. But that kind of IC misunderstanding is fine, as long as it's not based on me, the player, totally screwing up in a way Alex wouldn't.

Likewise, the way Alex asked about this 'GNS thing' ... slightly rude, and again Star naturally assumes that Alex would keep up with the news. Its sort of weird her even asking the way she did. GNS is exactly the sort of stuff that ends up on the covers of niche magazines (if there is a Popular Science by this time in 2027, GNS has been in it already for example). Plus a whole bunch of other little bits that seem to be barbs once the context of what is said comes under that light.

See above.

Added to the fact that what Alex says about the future still seems pretty dark to Star. Lots of talk, as she said, of Novas and humanity being separate. Novas leaving, etc .... which Alex did clarify sort of. Still, it sounds to her that Alex is planning for Nova exodus to leave humanity ... all the language employed really does still read as separatist. Thats just not what Star believes is the right way - and may be a genuine bone of contention in this case. Plus, given the big fuss Alex made over communicating clearly Star has to assume that Alex says precisely what she means - that when Alex outlines her big plan she is doing it in a way that would make sense to others.

Well that's an IC difference. Alex genuinely believes that, over time novas will probably mostly leave Earth...though they may return periodically as well. She doesn't see this as separatist, because she ALSO believes baselines will leave Earth, though perhaps not all of them. The reason why is that she believes the interests and needs of both subraces will eventually inevitably outstrip what Earth can provide. She's planning for the long haul though...on the scale of centuries, or more. This is not necessarily a rapid process she's envisioning...and nova/baseline cooperation would greatly facillitate it...so she's all for that. If it can be done, which she thinks is possible, though difficult. Also, Alex doesn't always have the most concrete grasp of what is clear to others. :)

Star, of course, is not afraid of telling someone she thinks they are wrong. So she voiced her disagreement with that general part of Alex's plan / assumptions. To clarify here, Star thinks its a cultural problem. If Novas or Humans spread out without social changes then we're just magnifying the problem. Expansion does offer a short to medium term pressure valve, which is why Star is socially engineering humanity to do in system stuff (by 2027, with a very easy assist from Novas, humanity can colonize the system. Once infrastructure is up there, they can sustain and grow it by baseline means ... essentially, its LEO and the limits of the rocket equation that are still the issue ... and the solar system is a big big big place. Colonizing the system could be a nice social pressure valve for one maybe two centuries. A nice example of channeling the human cultural energy into something besides obsessing over novas, and race war.)

Yep, and honestly, Alex agrees that social changes are necessary for co-existence. It's part of what she's trying to do, in fact. Her terseness on this issue is partly because she feels a little like Star's observation is self-evident, and even that pointing it out may be Star trying to condescend to her...it's also partly because Star's been picking at her for a little while here and Alex gets tired of explaining herself very quickly. It's an intentional character flaw. :)

So! The IC stuff I'm fine with...it's arising from natural interaction. My concern is over the stuff where my OOC patheticness has spilled over into my character. How should that be handled, do you think?

I think its fine ... and understandable. Don't worry over the OOC stuff, it happens ... IC there is that one area of disagreement, but in the short term Alex and Star are working for exactly the same thing.

Thats kind of why instead of continuing what looked like the brewings of a disagreement, Star just chalked it up to Star and Alex not communicating properly. Or perhaps Alex really is burning the candle at both ends like an obsessive genius :)

Star would certainly consider the latter, given how major the taint cure and the stardrive are. She knows how near impossible a baseline tech FTL system is with the current state of science.

So we can just say that Star and Alex sort it all out, and it was just misunderstandings with the one philosophical difference in there.

Well, some of it is that Alex doesn't necessarily do words of encouragement very well.

For example, she approves of Star's goal of developing solar system resources. In fact, she'd been thinking of ways to do it herself, and now she doesn't have to. Same with Cora's trog hunts. She recognizes the threat of uber-powerful insane 2ndgenners, but hey...Cora's on the job and Alex trusts her to get it done. So it might seem like Alex isn't taking those things seriously, when in fact she's just focusing her efforts on projects that other folks aren't doing. :)

As for the current situation, we can do your suggestion...I've been brainstorming a bit too as to why some of those references might have slipped past her.More soon.

For the make nice, no words of encouragement necessary ... Star will socialize in ways that Alex is most comfortable with ... she's going to pay attention so as to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Star just has to learn Alex's 'Handshake Talk & Transfer Protocol' a bit better :)

Note: Star isn't somehow down on Alex as a bad communicator either ... a good communicator never places blame on another, just seeks to overcome whatever barriers to understanding there might be.

Hello and thank you to all you lovely players who took part in my fun little Young Justice Two: Forging Better Tommorows thread. It's been kind of the capstone of what I've been ploting to achieve during the Interludes. We have our on-going coherent reason for action threads and a B-plot to take part in outside of the massive social engineering projects that are GNS, Exalt, and Anasavi. That said, I *think* Young Justice Two is wrapping to a close, and unless anyone objects, I'm going to slap a (FIN) onto it Saturday morning. So, post your posts, and say your thoughts, and thank you all again for great gaming. Let's keep the fun factor up, eh? :D

Forbidden Fruits is open to anyone that knows Sakura, with a +however many for those people to bring along. If she's got your contact info and hasn't been told not to use except for emergencies or something (and you're adult-acting), then you got an invite. Don't worry about any negative outcome if your character doesn't show up, this is just a general OOC notice so I didn't have to try to catch all the players in chat.

:D

Archived