Aberrant RPG - Novas That Never Were

metaphysician

Half of f*cking Team Tomorrow. Seriously, they put the T2Mers in most of the books, and half the WW scenarios, but they only give stats for a few of them. No matter what campaign you're running, you'll likely top bump into T2M...we really could have used more stats for them in the Utopia book. Even if there were no stats, it would just be wwwwwwwwonderful if they could at least tell us what general powers characters like Makara and Ana Graca have.

Also, Teragen characters. We only ever get stats for Orzaiz and Turncoat (and maybe a few minor characters). Like with T2M above, you're likely to run into Terats like Geryon and Shrapnel and Leviathan, so stats would have been fun.

They never did a complete writeup of Slider did they?

Also, I always thought they should've used Alejandra more (and, of course, done a writeup on her). They list her as being the number one Novox performer in the world (what a stupid name for a music genre... unless you were actually supposed to pronounce it no-vox, instead of new-vo), plus she's already a latina. In RL someone like that would be HUGE. A major elite conflict in Africa would have to share space on the cover (if it didn't get bumped back a page) with pictures and coverage of Alejandra's latest concert or suspected love interest. And she's mentioned like two or three times in all the books. It's even implied that she was largely responsible for the Catholic Church taking such a friendly stance towards novas, thus instigating the events of The Pope of Babylon. And all she gets is one nova-phile and a blurb in the backgrounds section of the APG. Oh, and that interview in the core book.

Aside from Sophia, I really with they'd given us at least a little more info on Belladonna (and her cult of eco-nihilist whackos). She's supposed to be a noticeable factor in the pre-Aberrant War conflicts, & all we got were a few snippets scattered here & there.

I always thought it was pronounced No-Vox. As in Nova Voice. Isnt new-vo spelled Neveau? Neveaux?

It's clarified on pg. 65, part way through Duke Rollo's article I Violated Rule #1. I quote, "Novox music (pronounced no-VEAU, sort of like nouveau) is defined not so much by its sound as it is by its creator." Like I said, dumb name for a music genre. Although you just know that all us wonderfully educated and literate Americans are running around calling it no-VOX anyway in complete, and blissful, disregard for what everyone else calls it.

I can't see either working. Matter Creation is temporary unless he spends a permanent Willpower point each time he wants to make a Eufiber suit, and Elemental Mastery (and Anima) must use stuff that can fall into the "elemental" category, so Eufiber would be out.

Since his body is said to secrete the stuff (and his picture in The Directive book shows it growing from his body) I'm betting a Body Mod.

I can't see either working. Matter Creation is temporary unless he spends a permanent Willpower point each time he wants to make a Eufiber suit, and Elemental Mastery (and Anima) must use stuff that can fall into the "elemental" category, so Eufiber would be out.

Since his body is said to secrete the stuff (and his picture in The Directive book shows it growing from his body) I'm betting a Body Mod.

IMHO, Eufiber works fine as an Elemental mastery. There is actually a cool thread somewhere around here that has all kinds of neat outside-the-box "Elements"

Yeah, even the APG on pg. 124 lists Toxic Waste as a possible choice for Elemental Authority (and by association, Elemental Mastery).

Oh, and BTW, Anibal Buendia was a really good pick BT. I'd totally forgotten about him when I posted, but seriously, eufiber is pretty much a universal phenominon in the Abbey-verse and there's next to nothing on its creator in any of the books. What a jip. ::angry

I would have liked to see stats for everyone in the Teragen pantheon. (Mal, of course, is already listed in AB:WW1 ::biggrin ) Especially Synapse, Bounty, and Leviathan. I mean, I know Leviathan has a butt-load of body mods, and Node Spark, but I wanted to see specifics.

I would have liked the Utopia book to stat out at least the leaders of each T2M, and the notable people like Geisha who are mentioned repeatedly.

I would have liked to see some stats on the city defenders like Kikjak, the Gothic Knight, and Rodi the Rainbow.

But mostly I would have liked them to use the Adventure! gadget rules instead of the mish-mash Aberrant gadget rules. ::tongue

These T2M members have stats: Splash, Montoya-Bernal, Thorn, Firefly, Geisha, Melissanda Estavez, Tremor, and It (It becomes an Auxiliary member by the Pope of Babylon in WWP2). Tremor and It are statted in Year One, everyone else in the Utopia book. Corbin is statted in WWP1, but he's former T2M.

Elemental Mastery: Eufiber is just not a viable option. Most Storytellers would rule that EM can't be used to produce permanent quantities of materials. Otherwise there'd be a "Matter Creation" rip-off technique within the power suite itself. What techniques would he have? Blast, the shield maneuver, the imprison maneuver...what else would work? Most of the techniques couldn't apply to Eufiber. Since EM is made for combat (and really, nothing else) I don't see why a lazy-ass that sits back all day and grows Eufiber from his body (and gets paid millions for it) would ever train EM...

And it doesn't make sense for his description: it is said he secretes the stuff from his body.

• 2 weeks later...
Elemental Mastery: Eufiber is just not a viable option. Most Storytellers would rule that EM can't be used to produce permanent quantities of materials. Otherwise there'd be a "Matter Creation" rip-off technique within the power suite itself. What techniques would he have? Blast, the shield maneuver, the imprison maneuver...what else would work?
Shaping. 3 cubic meters per dot of power or something like that. With Shaoing as an EM tech you shape stuff regardless of whether or not it existed before.

We already have an existing example of a PC who *does* create permanent quantities of her element. Tremor can create islands and her only power is EM:Earth.

As for what techniques B could use in combat... the mind boggles. Bolt is interesting but not broken, ditto sphere. Where it gets really interesting is that other novas are wearing his stuff, and have delibrately used it's attunement-on-steroids on themselves. Put a different way, his stuff picks up other people's quantum signatures better than Q-Forgery and Q-Imprint.

I wouldn't be shocked if he has suite techniques that only work against novas who have given him a back door into their powers. Q-Leech. Q-Forgery. Q-Imprint. Disrupt.

If Beundia IS Colony, I guess the Vampiric Eufiber is what happens when a batch of the stuff is effected by Buendia's Taint...Eventually All of the stuff (Still associated to his aura - is it just a Body Mod with regenration and Homunculus?) goes Vampiric and allows Colony to absorb folks - or at least drain all of their Quantum.

I don't know. the power system seems unsopporting of a Colony short of Clone, Homunculus and Domination at Q8 Mastery.

RE: The Colony

First you have to define what he can actually do.

As far as I can tell, in cannon, he/it/she can... (working off of vague memories)

1) Have or sire Children

1a) At least some of which can turn baselines into taint monkeys.

2) Rule and lord over the other abbies (presumably Q6+)

3) Look like that spider thing on the cover of trinity.

4) He believes in the domination of novas over baselines, and not the seperation of the two.

...and that's pretty much it. I think it's implied that he is really powerful, and that he can turn baselines into taint monkeys, but we don't really know. In theory The Colony could be Geisha and use social skills to rule everyone... but it's strongly implied that it's done via raw power. IMHO it's implied that he has Q8, simply because without that it's hard to see how he gets the kind of respect for other powerful abbies to follow him rather than try to take over from him.

Very few if any of the abbies use technology... but then we have the counter example of that cyberkenetic sending email into the blue yonder. Colony might have some nova brains working for him with some kind of tech base. My expectation is that it's more like steam punk with enclaves of mad scientist types.

In Trinity he has a master plan for the Earth, and he's winning. So I'd give him some level of Mega-Int as well as Mega-Chr (for leadership).

True, but we all have to start somewhere. Even Donighal was probably once only Q1. . . ::wink
I suspect he started at Q4 with Elemental Anima: Plasma... thus explaining how everyone survived the Hammersmith fire, giving Mal his theme, and explaining why he bothered to develop EA:Plasma.
Yeah, the Trinity books use the word 'rival'
A page number would be good... but may not matter. Considering he didn't go off with Mal in 2060 or whenever, and that he did go off on his own, and that he lead others, and that presumably he was at least Q6 by that time... yes, they were rivals, or at least had rival visions at the end.

But again, that's in 2060 or so.

I suspect he started at Q4 with Elemental Anima: Plasma... thus explaining how everyone survived the Hammersmith fire, giving Mal his theme, and explaining why he bothered to develop EA:Plasma.

I always thought it was because he was so "flaming" gay! ::tongue

Mal is an introverted gay. Don't even get me started on his relationship with Scripture. The whole thing is just to make Max jealous. I mean, have you seen Scripture? Have you seen Scripture? There's no way the Daddy of all Novas would ever hit that, when he's got Caestus Pax around. I bet when they go to bed, Scripture nudges Mal to cuddle, but then Mal comes up with some new excuse as to why he's not in the mood, and Scrip brings up how Mal never looks him in the eyes when they make love, then leaves the room crying about how Mal still hasn't found a decent job and rent is almost due and their lives are falling apart.

This is all true, BTW. I read it in a developer chat. Not making it up in the slightest.

Archived