Aberrant: Mutant High - Oil and Water [New Semester Mixer Fic]

z020

Kia looked around, pleasantly surprised at the contact. A Japanese boy was there, and though she'd normally wonder if he spoke the language right away, this time she was distracted by the livid scar over his right eye. That was messed up. What kind of high school age kid had a scar like that?

She smiled up at him and said, "Sure, that sounds fun." She walked out ahead of him and turned to watch him come towards her. "What's your name?"

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A startled laugh escaped Violet's lips at Nathan's casual pronouncement, and she shook her head slowly as she took another drink. The ice cubes clinked melodically in her glass, and a slightly crooked smile crept over her lips.

"Well," she all but drawled, "I suppose it's a good thing we weren't smugglers or drug runners, hmm? You probably wouldn't have even gotten a chance to yell for help." She paused for a few moments after uttering a rather bleak, unnervingly off-hand comment, and then laughed again, brightly. "I'm only teasing, don't worry. Besides," she said airily, "they're usually only here on Tuesdays. Much quieter then."

She left Nathan to puzzle over this unsettling information with an enigmatic half-smile, and patted his arm reassuringly. "Again, only teasing. In any case, that seems like a remarkable set of coincidences, and we all know what happened to the cat who was a little too curious, hmm?" The mixture of moonlight and electricity created an unusual mix of shadows across her pretty features, rendering her expression almost unreadable. "So let me make this clear... Nathan, was it? This wouldn't be the first time someone in the faculty tried to sneak a student in to one of our parties, and as long as we keep having them, it won't be the last. This party, however, happens to be mine." It wasn't precisely true, of course; others had contributed at least as much as she had, but there was no need to bother with such details when dealing with an interloper. She continued to smile politely, maintaining direct, pointed eye contact with the newcomer the entire time. "I don't know you, and no one else here can vouch for you. You're welcome to enjoy yourself, mingle, and get to know the other students, but keep in mind that should anyone here find themselves punished for attending, you won't be hard to find." Leaning in, she added sotto voce, "I wouldn't recommend looking for excuses to leave at this point, either. You'll only draw attention to yourself."

Again, she patted his arm, giving him a dazzling smile that showed off more even white teeth than was strictly necessary, and a conspiratorial wink as she released him.

"Now, then, Nathan. You have yourself a wonderful time. Drink, dance, and be merry, for on Monday, we have class. Cheers." She tipped her glass toward him amiably, and took another sip.

Nathan smiles and shrugs at Vi, "If there is any punishment for this party it won't be my doing, and I'd expect to be punished alongside anyone else, but I agree you have no reason to believe that. As to your hypothetical drug dealers I'd be surprised if they would have all these lights and music on, nor have a scantily clad female minor talking to another minor in a wheelchair outside to advertise their presence. Perhaps if this is meant to be so secret you might want to tell people to keep it indoors? Although by the reaction I got from the guard they know it's going on anyway, but won't admit it."

Josh watched the exchange between the two women, trying to be as far from intrusive as he could be sitting right next to them. However, at the last pause of their conversation, he felt like he had to interject another alternative. His voice was hesitant, he hoped that neither of the women in front of him would mind his interruption. "Or... if it's not too cold... we could stay out here and look at the stars and talk, socalize, and let things blow over inside. I wouldn't mind the company, and the stars are georgeous tonight. When the air's this cold, there's not as much..." Josh realized he was geeking out again, "you know what, they just look pretty."

He finished with a hopeful tone in his voice and look in his eyes. He really didn't want this night to be ruined, for himself or anybody who had actually taken the time to be nice to him.

"You're right," Violet replied jovially, smiling as Nathan took a swig of his beer. "I wouldn't believe you. Please understand," she continued. "This isn't personal at all. I simply have my guests to consider, and it would be very unfortunate if anything were to later ruin their pleasant memories of this evening."

Shrugging her slim shoulders, she smiled again, to all appearances the unfailingly polite hostess; anyone who wasn't present for the conversation would see only a perfectly amiable chat between the two teens. Her earnest expression was completely candid, and Nathan had no reason to doubt that the precocious young woman meant precisely what she said.

"I suggest you play very nicely while you're here, and don't step on any toes. I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you genuinely found your way down here by accident. I'm afraid it will go very badly for you if I have any reason at all to think otherwise." She paused for a moment, considering him, and then flashed him another brilliant smile. "In the meantime, however, as I said earlier, do feel free to enjoy yourself. I hope you'll decide to stay for the midnight show some of the students plan to put on. It should be quite the send-off for the old year. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm sure my companion thinks I've abandoned him by now."

Nodding politely to the newcomer, Violet turned on a glossy heel and sauntered back to the couch, waving cheerfully to people and greeting them as she passed.

What had it been? An hour? Two, maybe? Warren had spent all his life toughening up and surviving with all he had... and now this girl might as well of had puddy in her hands. Sad as it was to admit to himself, she could have asked him bout anything right now and he'd probably had agreed to it.

She was enchanting, exotic, interesting... and she smelled great. What were the odds of a gloomy death tainted mutant to meet a girl who smelled like hell itself? She was so cool in his eyes. Then again... he didn't get out much.

In truth he really didn't want her to let go, enjoying her warmth as much as she enjoyed his. "Um, how bout we grab another cider and just chill and talk some more. I'm really not into dancing... I just thought, y'know... in case you were." He shrugged half-hearted, trying to be the typical guy who just blew off things like 'thoughtfulness'.

Another song started but they stood there, unmoving as the rest of the party avoided them for fear of Revenant starting a fight over the smallest perceived slight against him or Oneca. Just, ask! "Uh... I was wondering something. Um, if you're uh," This is the guy who went toe to toe with Kazuo not long ago. Who took punch after punch and licked the blood of his wounds like any warrior should. Who faced the challenged, didn't back down, and would gladly do it again if the scar-ridden punk was ready to throw down. Yet here he was, at a loss for words in front a simple, 'harmless' girl that he'd known for but a few hours at the most. "Would you uh, maybe wanna, like, go out sometime? Like, away from here? Maybe to Manhattan for a bit?" The question was asked, and like all shy, repressed teenagers, it was time to retract it as soon as possible. "If not... that's okay. I mean, it's cool... you probably have things you gotta do n' stuff."

Kazuo smiled when Kia agreed to a dance, though he did glance around briefly to see if 'Barbarella' was anywhere in the vicinity. He'd just realized that Kia was the other girl that Sonja'd brought to the party with her, and for all Kazuo knew she was gonna be all protective of her too. Che.

He didn't catch sight of 'Hindenburg-Chest', though, so Kazuo relaxed and followed Kia out onto the dance floor.

"The name's Kazuo", he said in answer to her question as he joined her on the dance floor, "and thanks fer the dance, Kia".

After that he didn't really try to make conversation, though he didn't avoid it if she did try. As 3Oh!3's farcical lyrics kicked into high gear and the music became ever more danceable, Kazuo kept it cool and just focused on keeping his rhythm together. In the middle of a dance floor, with the music booming in their ears and vibrating through their chests, a lot of people will get carried away with their dancing and try to do something fancy in the heat of the moment. Which is fine if you actually know how to dance, but most folks don't, which is why it's so easy to find someone making a jackass out of themselves on virtually any dance floor, anywhere in the world.

Not only did Kazuo not really want to be one of those jackasses who don't seem to know the limits of their own abilities, he also didn't want to be responsible for turning Kia (who was obviously a much better dance than he was) into one of those unfortunate young ladies one occasionally sees who're not dance-floor-jackasses themselves, but whose dancing partners are. It was always such a social train wreck of a situation, Kazuo never knew whether to feel worse for the girl, or the jackass.

After a few moments, when Kazuo felt like he'd locked himself securely into the song's rhythm, he took the opportunity to lean in towards Kia so that she could hear without him shouting and asked, "So where are you from?"

"Sorry about that." The devastating smile Violet leveled at Alex was apologetic, but genuine and tinged with the obvious pleasure she felt in settling back down beside him. "I had some business to take care of there." She half-turned towards him, her legs curling up under her, and smiled as she took a bite from the plate Alex offered to her. "Thanks for keeping my seat warm... Literally as well as figuratively." she teased.

"No problem at all." He smiled back before taking a sip of beer. "I was horribly lonely without you here. I had only the demon drink to console me, so you've no idea how grateful I am to see you back. It was only a matter of time before I became staggering drunk and made an ass of myself." He sighed melodramatically, then grinned as she chuckled, shaking her head and nudging him.

"Stop that. Now where were we?"

"Well, we were talking about the cafeteria. And that reminded me of something I've been wondering about." He settled back, angling to lean a little towards her. His blue eyes were warm and friendly as they gazed into her purple ones, his pleasant tenor voice low and intimate. "I know you said that you didn't like to talk about what you do. Power-wise. You told me that it made people uncomfortable." He smiled. "Seeing as right now I'm finding it hard to picture you making me uncomfortable, I'd really like to know."

"I mean, it's not a burning question that I must know the answer to." He grinned a little bashfully. "It's just a guy's curiousity about a girl that he happens to find fascinating."

Kia wound up being a good dance partner not just because she was good at dancing, but because she knew when not to be. When she saw what Kazuo was doing she emulated him, letting him set the steps and speed and then keeping pace with him rather than tearing off on her own.

"Hawai'i," she replied with a smile. "The Big Island. What about you?"

"Not a thing in the world," was her breezey reply as the two of them vacated the dance floor in order to avoid being bowled over by whoever was going to decide that they were the next Justin Timberlake and they could prove it. More alcohol was procured, this time mixed drinks as the cider had already been cleared out, and the two rolled some kid already passed out from slamming vodka shots off 'their' loveseat. The kid, sex questionable, muttered incoherently, burped, and crawled into a corner where they promptly turned carpet-colored and started snoring.

Comfortably ensconced across his lap again, he could her tattoo had receeded back from it's angry coils of before and now looped gracefully over her face and hand. She grinned up at him, "Hmmn. More 'getting to know you' questions, I guess." Her eyes got that wicked cast that he was quickly beginning to recognize as the start of trouble. "So, what's you're flavor? Vanilla or something...more interesting?"

She completely dodged the question. She sort of answered, but she never actually said 'yes' and Warren couldn't've been happier. Sure, he was the idiot that asked her out, but it was impulsive and like most things guys do: it seemed like a good idea at the time.

He saw no reason to press the issue, heck, what if it was her polite way of saying 'you're cute, don't screw this up by liking me'. Man, she just got cooler and cooler every time she said something.

Once they sat down and she was comfortable again he decided he liked this too much to move again, unless a clove or more drinks merited otherwise. He grinned and chuckled a bit at her question. "Never been a huge fan of vanilla. Half the sugar and twice the spice is more my speed. Why waste time with the ordinary when look at us, we're far beyond extraordinary. I say 'something more interesting', definitely."

He looked down at her, thinking himself once again the luckiest guy at this party. "How bout' you? Vanilla?" He smiled, doubting that was what she was going to say.

"I'll let you decide," was the only warning she gave him.

She leaned up and kissed him. She wasn't practiced, but she certainly made up for inexperience with enthusiasm and natural talent that she was surprised she had. He could hear several high-pitched titters from either younger or drunker (or both) female partygoers that had been watching the dark pair since their dance, along with a muffled "not fucking fair" from a nearby loser without a date at the party.

What a welcome to Mutant High.

Jamie followed Ren's gaze to Jor, who now stood abandoned in the middle of the dance floor. She turned to shake at her head at her date.

"What? It's hilarious--look at that douche-bag just standing there..."

"Swimming?" she reminded him, rapping her knuckles on his head.

"Ow." Ren scowled, then nodded. "Right, yeah. Do your thing you do."

Jamie rolled her eyes, but obligingly created one of her shimmering red-rimmed portals right next to the snack table. She helped Ren get himself turned around and steered him through the rent in space, then stepped through herself. Both teens vanished into nothingness...and a moment later the dimensional rift sealed itself back up as if it'd never been.

Kazuo appreciated Kia's efforts on his behalf; allowing him to set the pace meant he could relax a bit and just have fun. Which was good, cuz whoever was running the music table had apparently decided they were far enough into the party, and everyone was getting drunk enough, that it was safe to break out the hardcore, beat-heavy dance tracks. The kind designed to make all the youthful, nubile bodies crammed onto the dance floor hot and sweaty. 3 0h!3 faded out, and was quickly replaced by a remixed, bass-thumpin' version of Pharrell's and Gwen Stefani's 'Can I Have it Like That?'.

Kazuo smiled back at Kia as she answered his question and asked one of her own. "Tokyo", he said, and his smile turned mischievous, "that's on The Big Island, too. What a coincidence, huh?"

He didn't bother explaining that he meant Honshu, the island that Tokyo resided on, and the largest in the Japanese archipelago, because one thing you never, ever did, was explain your jokes. Instead, Kazuo popped his eyebrows once at Kia, as if to say, 'Yeah, I know the joke's kinda silly. But I made it just for you'.

"So, Hawai'i, huh?", he asked her, doing a fair job of keeping his feet moving to the beat while he talked. "Why in the hell did you leave there and come here?"

"Because this is where the school for mutants is," Kia replied mischievously. "Believe me, I'd have loved it if they built it somewhere in Hawai'i. It would have been awesome. Only no snowball fights, so..." She shrugged, somehow managing to work the gesture into her dancing.

"Besides, it's exciting to see a new place. New York is pretty incredible! When you look at those huge buildings and think wow, people built these. It makes me think about how I haven't really done anything yet...maybe I should be an architect or something."

"What's Tokyo like?"

“Yes,” Morri said, nodding and looking a little confused still. “Took punishment, matter done.” The feral woman gave her friend something not unlike a smile and not unlike a snarl. “Just as truce with Kazuo. No need to… ‘make up’ anything. Not want false thing.”

“No, not that kind of made up, it means… just what I said,” Sonja said with a sigh, wondering if a mutant could get a headache from enough social stress. “I did something bad, and now want to do good.”

“No need,” Morri said, waving a hand. “Take punishment, bad thing done.” She paused, then tried, “Bad thing… made up? Made up. No need to make up anything else.” Morri still wasn’t sure about this, but she thought she’d gotten the idea across. Sonja was a very confused girl. Sometimes, Morri felt sorry for her.

Turning, she went back into the party. She did want to dance more, but was a little put off to find that Kazuo had found another partner. She quirked her lips, looked around at the potential partners and then moved to the dance floor alone. She didn’t need a partner to have fun.

"Kinda like New York", answered Kazuo. He shrugged as well, but didn't do as good a job as Kia had done at managing to work it into his dancing. "Like, every neighborhood is its own place - has its own identity. You know?"

He quirked an eyebrow and shrugged again. "It's kinda hard to describe, I guess. Even though it's sorta like New York, it's totally different too. I mean, technically it's like twenty-something different cities all packed up into one." Kazuo's face screwed up a bit as he seemed to struggle to come up with a better way to answer Kia's question. Finally he just shrugged a third time (completely failing to mix it into the dancing this time, but he picked the rhythm back up without too much of a pause), and said, "I dunno. It's hard to describe, Kia. You should go there sometime though. I betcha'd like it."

"Anyway, what's Hawai'i like? Besides, 'like an island', I mean."

Originally Posted By: Oneca Bahaar
"I'll let you decide," was the only warning she gave him.

She leaned up and kissed him. She wasn't practiced, but she certainly made up for inexperience with enthusiasm and natural talent that she was surprised she had.

The press of her lips upon his sent his senses reeling into a minor state of confusion. Direction lost it's purpose as his eyes closed instinctively. The world muted and the sounds were but whispers upon the scream of what her lips were telling his own. By way of unconscious act he pulled her closer to him, holding her so that the moment could last as long as it needed to.

Breathlessly he was drunk in the moment, unsure what he was supposed to do, but his instincts did not lead him astray. This would not be the kiss that entitled him a 'best kisser' award, but it was his first real kiss and it was with a girl who was gorgeous, amazing, interesting and all the other things he could like about a girl. His mind forgot to about being nervous or trying to impress her a little bit here and there with machismo or uncaring shrugs and expressions. His body forgot to be tense and loosened up, his muscles keeping just enough strength (and he seemed fairly strong) to keep her close to him for as long as the pair desired...

She shook her head slightly at his question, and grinned as he suggested that he could start one.

"That'd be awesome - I know there's people who play but I don't think anyone's started a band. Afraid I couldn't be much help there, except maybe as a groupie. But I like the normal stuff.. you know, hanging out, watching movies, that sort of thing. And I love gymnastics - I used to be an acrobat before I came here, in my uncle's circus. So I teach the gymnastics classes, and I'm in drama and shit. And then of course there's the practical jokes."

Her eyes got wide and innocent-looking - no easy feat while glowing bright green - and when she spoke, her voice was full of exaggerated disbelief.

"Everyone always seems to give me credit for them. I haven't the faintest idea why they think I'm the one doing them. But insisting that I'm not involved in any way, shape, or form takes up an obscene amount of time.

Sonja watched Morri step back inside the party with a faint smile, sad but determined. She had made a misstep with the feral girl, but the dance wasn't over yet - she'd continue it tomorrow. She sighed, then glanced at Josh and flashed him a smile before turning her gaze to the heavens.

"The stars are pretty tonight, Josh. With all the lights in LA, the only stars you ever see are the ones walking and driving down Sunset Boulevard. The night sky here reminds of the one outside Reykjavík - clear and cluttered with a million huge stars."

Sonja stood next to Josh in companionable silence for several moments, but a gust of wind flowing across her bare legs reminded her of the chill evening. She gave Josh a regretful grin and clapped him on the shoulder.

"Sorry, Josh, but a short dress isn't the best for star watchin' in winter." Sonja turned on a heel and reached for the door, tossing over her shoulder, "I'm gonna head back in now, but seriously, feel free to come back in. I don't think there'll be another ruckus or anythin'."

Sonja stalked back inside, eyes lingering on Morri, dancing by herself, before moving on to the refreshment tables - another drink and something to nibble on suited her just fine. She carefully circumnavigated the dance floor for Morri's benefit, avoid several drunken gropes and was nearly within reach of her goal when her attention was dragged to a dark clothed duo, engaged in a rather exuberant lip lock.

Sonja found herself towering over her sister and Revenant, pressed too closely together on the love seat, not even aware of having crossed the intervening space. She was about to haul them apart when a tiny part of her consciousness warned her about how well that had worked with Morri and Kazuo.

"'Neca. What the fuck?" Sonja growled after a long, ignored minute, arms folded emphatically beneath her breasts so she wouldn't reach out and do something drastic.

The kiss didn't end. Hell, Revenant was actually starting to improve his technique a bit; Oneca was a very patient 'lady' it seemed.

Sliding his hand up and off her waist Revenant waved hand a few time in Sonja's direction, giving her the universal sign for 'shoo, go away'.

As if to make up for his hand's wasted time, Revenant cupped the back of lovely woman's head and gently stroked his thumb across her cheek.

The kiss didn't end.

Sonja snarled. This was turning out to be just the best day, ever! Isn't it, just?!

She reached and grabbed Oneca by the back of her dress, plucking her from Revenant's adolescent embrace, and holding her up so they were eye to eye. As soon as she did it, she knew it was a mistake, but she couldn't bring herself to stop. She wasn't sorry for this.

Just as Revenant opened his mouth to protest, Sonja turned her glare from her sister to him, pointed a finger at him. Despite looking like Aerobic Instructor Barbie brought to life, the platinum blond amazon was rather tall - especially in heels - and radiated a daunting strength.

"I'm wasn't talking to you!" Sonja snarled, then her intense indigo glower swiveled back to her sister, voice dropping to an angry hiss. "'Neca, what the fuck?! You just met this guy, what an hour ago, and you're already letting him shove his tongue down your throat and his hand all over your ass? What would mom and dad think?"

"Well," Revenant stood up calmly. "I'm talking to you. Put her down, and leave her alone. No tongue was down her throat and no hand was on her ass. You're obviously misinformed and you're ruining her night and embarrassing not only yourself, but her as well."

He looked at how she still was holding Oneca. "I said put her down." His fists clenched at his sides.

It had taken a moment for Oneca to resurface from the pleasant haze she'd been in, although being physically manhandled out of Revenant's lap certainly sped up the process. She stared at Sonja, shock and irritation giving way to the dull ache of fury. Her tattoo turned black and wound itself into angry, burning knots across her skin and everyone in the immediate vicinity could smell sulphur and burning rock.

Sonja could see the amber eyes that only a month ago had been a deep, nearly black, brown flashed into a red-gold fury. Her little sister had always had a temper, but Sonja could count on one hand the number of times she'd ever seen her this enraged. Dangling from the Amazon's grip on her dress, Oneca grabbed the arm that was holding her up and dug her nails into the sleeve. The cloth began to disintegrate, almost burning but never quite making a flame; after it was gone the smell of burning flesh joined the sulphur. "Put. Me. Down. Now."

She hadn't yelled, hadn't thrown a tantrum, but the feeling of menace and imminent violence spread through the party nearly instantly. Conversations stopped, people stared, and the room collectively held it's breath for what would happen next.

Sonja looked away from Oneca's writhing tattoo to glare at Revenant once more. "Look, Living Deadman or whatever, this is between me and my sister, you can-"

Sonja's head twisted back to Oneca like a predatory cat, the smell of brimstone, the smell from that day, assaulting her nose. She frowned at the fury she saw in her sister's disconcerting eyes, then turned that frown on Oneca's hand on her left arm. She watched dispassionately as the sleeve of her dress burned away to nothing, then the burning reached her flesh, and her teeth clenched audibly against the pain, her hand tightening spasmodically on her sister's corseted dress.

Originally Posted By: 'Neca
"Put. Me. Down. Now."

Sonja locked her gaze back on Oneca's, her own indigo eyes blazing. For the first time in her life, Oneca really thought her amazonian sister was going to hit her or throw her through a wall - she almost hoped she would try.

For another long moment, Sonja held her demonic sister aloft, the pungent reek of charring flesh permeating the room, her other hand balled into a shaking fist. Then she smoothly set Oneca back down on her feet.

"I already lost one sister, 'Neca," Sonja said, bending slightly and whispering in her sister's ear, "I'm not going to lose another. If that means you have to live with an overprotective sister - at least you'll live."

Completely ignoring Revenant's presence, Sonja turned on a heel and calmly strode through the frozen party, something in her towering bearing making everyone give way. Four livid, black rings of burnt flesh could be seen on one side of her bared arm, a larger ring on the other side. She picked up her coat, turned to give Oneca a final, unfathomable look, then left, ignoring anyone calling her name.

Each step was faster than the last and seconds later, Sonja was standing at the outskirts of Mark's Woods, at the farthest reaches of the LHA campus grounds.

Alone, she screamed, rubbing snow against the painful wounds. They were closing, but slowly, so slowly. On her knees, she heaved convulsively, sick at the thoughts that had passed through her mind, at had badly she had wanted to hurt her sister in that instant.

She was strong, but she was afraid she wasn't strong enough to protect her sister, despite herself. From herself.

Oneca watched her leave and muttered to herself, "And what if I don't want to?"

She looked around the room, people suddenly finding something else to be doing just before she was looking at them. She almost stumbled back into Revenant, her adrenaline crashing now the object of her anger had fled. Some small part of her twinged at the lingering smell of sulphur and burning flesh, but she knew Sonja. Her sister would be fine. She couldn't hurt her, really. Right?

She laid her head against his chest, "Sorry 'bout that." She glanced up at him, "Could we go...somewhere else?"

He held her for a moment, bowing his head slightly and gently kissing the top of her head. For a tough guy he seemed quite the romantic.

"You did nothing wrong," He looked down at her eyes and gave her a soft apologetic smile that told her that everything was going to be fine. "Anywhere you like. We'll decide where as we walk there. C'mon."

He took her hand and led her out of the party. The 'couple' walked from the boathouse and up the path, and just like he said, they'd decide where they wanted to go, as they walked there.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked after several moments.

Continued in: [OW] Aftershocks

"Well it's several islands, for one," Kia pointed out to Kazuo with an impish smile. "But okay. It's gorgeous. It's warm. There's tall cliffs and clear beaches and places where people have never been tucked away not far from where people go every day."

She sighed and looked away; a shadow of melancholy slipping over her face. "I still miss it sometimes."

Then a commotion across the room caught her eye.

"Oh my god, is that Sonja? Is she hurt?"

Kia stopped dancing now, and tried to see through the thin smoke and nervous crowd what was going on.

Morri turned at the commotion and saw Oneca's hand on Sonja's arm. She saw the fabric smolder and disappear; she saw the blackening of her friend's skin. Rage leapt into her heart, and blood began to run down her arm.

A hand caught her shoulder and she twisted to see Kazuo. "Barbarella's doin' to Elvira what she did ta you," he told her, his voice casual. "Stickin' her nose into their fun." Then he released her arm and was back at Kia's side, leaving Morri to heed his advice or ignore it.

Every instinct told her to lash out at the small, dark girl who had dared to hurt her friend. But Sonja had spoiled her fun, and Kazuo had said she was doing it again. Torn, she hesitated, and the moment was lost. Sonja left, and after a moment, Morri followed.

Sonja was her friend and she was hurt. Turning, Morri got her jacket again and stepped out into the night, following the footprints Sonja had left in the deep snow.

Alek appeared ready to say something else when the "fight" broke out. He looked over his shoulder at the source of the commotion, then sighed as Sonja left the party. He turned back to Ari and smiled, ""Well, looks like the night is starting off with a bang. Do you want something to drink, or something to nosh on?" Alek looked around the party, waiting for Ari's response, and noticed the girl with the Red eyes leave right after the confrontation. The smell of the burned flesh finally penetrated his awareness and triggered a visceral response from Alek, and he shuddered violently as he recalled the burning sensation he felt when he nearly died.

Almost before Kia knew what was going on, Kazuo had vanished from her side as he rushed to intercept his roomy before she committed a major party-foul of the homicidal variety. He came back almost as quickly though, looking like there wasn't really much of anything amiss, and belatedly began to answer Kia's questions.

"Sorry 'bout that, just needed ta run some damage control with my outta control roommate. Anyway, yeah, that was Sonja. Looks like she picked a fight with some witchy-lookin' chick er somethin'." He shrugged, and then asked, "why, you wanna go check on her? She's yer friend, right?"

Daniel watched the spectacle and sighed. He'd been enjoying a nice night with Diana, a rarety in its own right when things started to head south. He smelled the burning fabric and remembered what he'd threated Sonja with, and a part of him did want to go after her. He looked to Glacia and decided he'd best stay out of it He'd catch up with Sonja tomorrow.

Instead he searched out Violet and Aradia, looking for the event's primary hostesses.

Kia gave Kazuo a surprised look.

"Morri's your roommate? Wow...I guess it really is a small campus." She sighed and added, "Would you mind? I won't be long. I just want to make sure she's okay and then I'll be right back, okay?"

With an apologetic smile, she gave Kazuo a hug, then backed away a few steps...then turned and ran outside to check on Sonja and Morri.

Aradia, like everyone, had paused briefly in her dancing to watch the situation. She rolled her eyes in faint annoyance, then turned back to Alek with an apologetic shrug and a smile.

"Sure, I'd love something - can you grab me whatever for some of the snacks, we can split a plate or something, and I'll just take a Smirnoff, I'm trying not to get too toasted yet, you know?"

She smiled as she watched him head off, and from the same direction she noticed Daniel focus his attention on her and start to head over. She met him halfway through the crowd.

"Hey Fireball - what's up?"

Originally Posted By: Procyon
I know you said that you didn't like to talk about what you do. Power-wise. You told me that it made people uncomfortable." He smiled. "Seeing as right now I'm finding it hard to picture you making me uncomfortable, I'd really like to know."

"I mean, it's not a burning question that I must know the answer to." He grinned a little bashfully. "It's just a guy's curiousity about a girl that he happens to find fascinating."

Inwardly, Violet crowed with glee. He thinks I'm fascinating! She wasn't quite drunk, but she was swiftly approaching that pleasant state which abhors too much forethought or weighty consideration.

"All right," she acquiesced to the irresistible charm of blue eyes and a slightly bashful glance in her direction. Leaning in, she murmured with a conspiratorial grin, "But I don't talk about this with just anybody, so even if it freaks you out a little, just try not to be too obvious about it, okay?"

The dark-haired girl leaned against the back of the couch, the side of her face pressed against the slightly worn upholstery as she just basked in the warmth of his aura for a moment. Sighing, she took another sip, and continued quietly. Might as well tell him the truth. ...Okay, but not all of it. First date, and all that.

"The first ability I manifested was control over men." She let that sink in, lifting a hand and smirking wryly in an effort to forestall any teasing comments. "I mean that literally. If I tell just about anyone to do something, they're compelled to do it. It's kind of..." Here she paused, running the tip of her tongue over her lips as she searched for the right word. "...brutish, I think. I try not to do it." Shifting slightly, she rested her elbow on the back of the couch and tilted her cheek into her hand. "The rest is a little more subtle, I guess, but theoretically, it's all about dealing with someone's psyche." The sophomore offered the gorgeous, light-wreathed Adonis a tiny, slightly uncomfortable smile. "Theoretically," she repeated for emphasis.

Alex tried not to follow the movement of her tongue as she ran them over her (very nice) lips. He really did. Then what she was telling him sunk in and the mind-jarringly handsome young mutant's eyes took on a thoughtful, appraising look as they regarded Violet. At least he was still making eye-contact, and didn't look suspicious. That was something, right? He didn't immediately stop leaning towards her and straighten up, either. For a moment, the golden motes that danced in his clear blue irises slowed as he considered. Then his faint smile warmed once more, the golden motes once more dancing their usual joyous pace.

"I imagine that's got to be tough to tell people." he remarked in a low, friendly voice, idly swiping at a lock of his dance-mussed hair that had fallen across his face while he'd been thinking. He shifted himself a little, getting more comfortable in his leaning slouch. Head tilting up a little, he met her sparkling amethyst gaze and nodded with grateful approval. "Thanks for telling me that, Violet." He smiled dazzlingly at her. "So... now it's your turn to pry. Fair's fair, after all."

Josh watched as Morri and Sonja walked back into the party... at least Sonja had acknowledged that he'd said something.

It was true, what she'd said. It was cold. He was alone, getting cold. Things might've been different if he'd been talking with someone and getting cold; but he was alone. Not something he was unfamiliar with.

But he was happy.

Josh had already had more fun at this party than he had ever thought possible. That being said, he decided to head back up to his room.

Josh was safely inside the dorms when Sonja's scream echoed through the cold, clear, otherwise quiet night.

Drama, drama, drama. Always with the drama! Violet ranted inwardly, briefly forgetting about her conversation with Alex as she watched Sonja flee the boathouse. She'd have to ask around later and get the full story, but for the moment, things seemed to be settling down somewhat. Still, people were departing at an alarming rate as various conflicts sparked for God-only-knew what reasons, and her slim brows knit in a frown. Briefly, she glanced at the digital readout of the clock on the wall: at least it was only a little more than a half hour from midnight.

Someone cleared their throat, politely but pointedly, next to her on the couch, and her eyes went wide in surprise.

Oh, crap.

"I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, turning back to Alex with burning cheeks. "For a minute there it looked like there was going to be a fight, and..." Deflating slightly, she shrugged her bare shoulders and offered him a rather sheepish smile before taking a bracing swallow of bourbon. "I'm sorry," the pretty young hostess finished, reaching out to rest her free hand on his. "Please forgive me." Her wide, violet eyes practically begged for forbearance as her fingers curled entreatingly around his.

Archived