Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Revenant
A single form however is not a 10 point weakness, it's a 5 point. The power should be Level 2, not 1.

You are correct. I fixed this by unbuying a dot of Psychic Shield, which gave me 6 (with the 5 spent on SS). I then bought 3 tainted dots of SS and adjusted the success chart (though I have left the Immolate for now). That should fix all the problems.

The problem with the immolate is that SHapeshift isn't supposed to be an omni-power. It is specifically used to alter form and you use dots in *physical* powers to *simualte* the properties of that shape. hence a nova can take the form of a dragon but that doesn't give them a flaming qbilt.

This sets the precedent for things like SS: Dragon (pick a color and take the breath weapon of choice!) or perhaps a better example in this case would be SS: Baalrog. What about a nova being able to *look* like a Baalrog gives them the ability to be on fire. I could see it working with a linked bodymorph and SS though. Shapeshift for the wings and size etc and then bodymorph to be made of "fire and shadow" with claws and a tendril to represent the flaming sword and whip.

But you get the idea. Does SS: Rust Monster give me the ability to disintegrate metal because its a property of the shape? No.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes you don't have a power, you have a power theme. Some things are covered by multiple powers, and yes, you have to buy them individually. Sad but true. I think in this case you would have to buy Immolate linked to Shapeshift, which is a waste of good nova points and quantum points both, but allowing Immolate sets a bad precedent for SS as an omnipower, as Sky said.

But then, I think Bodymorph is okay for simulating a single shape....it'd certainly work neater than what you're doing at the moment.

I am a big fan of Bodymorph: (creature x) as i feel it is an elegant solution. You pay the same cost for a Level 2 power, but you would get a set 5 dots every time, rather than the random roll.

I know there are others who disagree mightily with this idea and who strongly believe that Bodymorph should *only* apply to Bodymorph ("element" x). I dont want to start another argument about it please. Just stating my ideas.

Thing with Shapeshift is that your shape is weirdly fluid. If you don't get enough successes you just aren't the same creature...Bodymorph is static. You get the same thing every time, which is its downside, and is also what makes it so appropriate for this stuff, when you WANT the same thing every time.

What I would do with the shapeshift thing is give it the fixed result template from Density Control. Power Rating + 1 to spend on other things, than another 1 for each quantum point up to power rating + quantum. Or less if you feel thats too good.

And as for making it so you turn into the same thing over and over, make a weakness exception on a 'this case' basis only. Target Restriction 5, lowering it to a level 2 power. I mean, there are ways to do this without breaking the rules for other powers.

EDIT: And yes I know I am fucking evil for suggesting that Weakness and Strengths have the ability to not be retarded.

Originally Posted By: Cohen
What I would do with the shapeshift thing is give it the fixed result template from Density Control. Power Rating + 1 to spend on other things, than another 1 for each quantum point up to power rating + quantum. Or less if you feel thats too good.

And as for making it so you turn into the same thing over and over, make a weakness exception on a 'this case' basis only. Target Restriction 5, lowering it to a level 2 power. I mean, there are ways to do this without breaking the rules for other powers.

EDIT: And yes I know I am fucking evil for suggesting that Weakness and Strengths have the ability to not be retarded.

I think what you have there, sir, is ironically better than Bodymorph for the same price.

Edit: thus proving that strengths and weaknesses will ALWAYS be fucking retarded.

(I'm kidding. Sadly I could find no sticking-out-of-tongue smiley, but I am kidding.)

First Impression is not a scene long Enhancement. For every person you meet for the first time you have to spend a Q-Point on each person.

"Still Active" does not apply to this enhancement. So if Anne, or Saori or whomever have each met ten novas and wanted First Impression to effect each nova then they must spend 10 quantum points to do it (one for each use of the enhancement).

You guys and gals may want to start declaring 'targets', like:

Quote:
First Impression: Fianna (QP 19/31)

The reason I'm being nosy is simply because this place is supposed to be moderated and it's not at the moment. To keep it fair among all players involved you can't just go juicing everyone with unlimited quantum pools or durations on Enhancements that don't exist.

All right, keep your guard up at all times, remember the rules, and get back in there!

Yes, see that I have to target - that was my mistake from my first reading of the power.

Yes, this is a moderated forum, but the story has always been stressed over mechanics, from the very beginning. I personally don't see it as a big deal unless combat breaks out (in which case, Saori's out anyway) or the party gets a lot bigger. Still, I'll fix that in my post and start tracking it. It isn't a big deal to me, either way. smile

Dave, if you want to continue writing in 200X, I'm going to need for you to be slightly more cordial to me. I know that "relentless negativity" is your chosen style of presentation, but it's becoming something of a drag on my enthusiasm already. It won't kill you to be nice once in a while, will it? I enjoy writing with people who I can call my friends. I want to call you my friend again, the way I used to. Can we do that, or is the bridge burnt?

----------

Everyone: I'm checking in with Mr. Fox and Seph to see if we still have a trio of mods or not. I'll sort that out this week and make the appropriate changes in the staff as necessary.

Justin has contacted me with an idea for a writing project which could be a lot of fun. We're discussing that now in private.

On a personal note, I plan to spend much of my free time at work writing a story that bridges the span of time from June until now for Flicker, possibly building up to her fateful meeting with the yet-to-be-introduced Meghan Cutter (Mithril).

I'd like to get 200X back to its core idea of being a shared environment for writing fiction, and away from the notion that it is a game and that the rules are to be manipulated for individual gain. I will keep this ideal foremost in my mind as we go forward.

Originally Posted By: Nova
I've been playing City of Heroes for about three months, and it's been a lot of fun. However, it's starting to get repetitive, and I'd really like to get back to using all twenty-six letters on my keyboard instead of abusing W,A,S,D and the spacebar.* To that end, I'm prepared to drastically dial back my CoH play and get much more involved in 200X.

I re-read a lot of the threads from the formative stages of 200X earlier today, and I have got to say that I must have been absolutely out of my mind to have patiently put up with the right furious motherfucking that a few users saw fit to unleash on me for having the temerity to try to create something nice for my friends to enjoy. Hell, I even bent over backwards to allow one of the perpetrators to have the right to participate. I made it a point that rule one would be "don't be a dick-- dicks get kicked," and then never followed through. Never again. I'll come back and devote the full attention to 200X that it and my friends deserve, but if you are intent on not being my friend, then I advise you to GTFO right now, because your words will be as ephemeral as wisps of smoke in a hurricane.

In a separate thread I'll have a little to say about the state of 200X, including the other two MIA mods (Mr. Fox has talked to me recently, so I want to talk to him about his status, and I'm going to try to contact Seph), the census of authors, and the recent 4NP bump in the power cap.

This is not really a good opportunity to advance one's pet projects, proposed powers, amendments to the 200X Bible, or anything else. I'll have my hands full just doing basic housekeeping and getting my writing mojo working again, and I'd rather not deal with the controversy** that always accompanies a new idea on N! Prime.

I'm back. It's still my baby. I'm still listening to the writers. I still don't like a couple of you. Let's get our shit together and write some fun stuff and be friends. Whaddaya say?

Look, I'm glad our back, really, I am. I'm also incredibly pissed off at you and your audacity to step right back in with a post that refers to it as "Your baby." The one you left on the side of the road to starve and die? Last I checked, you had an idea, and we contributed to that idea to help you form the 200X area. My name is in that Bible, as are several other players. 200X is mine, it's Bill's, it's Fox's, it's Nathans, and right now, in my opinion, it is more "the baby" of those who have been busting their ass for the last three months to keep it from ending up in the 'Inactive Games' section (and I'm not one of those people, I just recently began posting again).

It's not 'relentless negativity', Nova, it's 'absolute shock and bewilderment'. Now, this place is a nice a nice hobby and I certainly wouldn't except anyone to devote all their time to it, but as a key moderator you could have done more than just leave your 'staff' hanging.

Hell, I could go on Flick, but I'm not. My point is that your 'return post' was not a thank you to those who worked diligently in your absence (like Vixen), is was "Okay, I'm board with CoH, so I'm back and will rule over everything again" and then you go into a tirade about people needing to obey or GTFO.

Where's the hellos? Where's the thanks to the players for their hard work? Where's the thanks to the moderator who stuck it out after being left for dead on the side of the road to starve next to the 200X 'Baby'? Without Vixen keeping this going, you'd not have mush to come back to you Your Highness.

I'm glad your back, and we are friends, and last I checked there was no bad blood between us, but I think your return was missing a lot of key aspects, like the same kindness and politeness you and your 'staff' seem to think I'm lacking.

So there it is. I'm not mad that your back, I'm mad that your return was a bit lacking in gratitude to those who did a lot to keep 'Your baby.' alive.

Now let's get back to Pretendy Fun Time Games.

~Revenant

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Look, I'm glad our back, really, I am. I'm also incredibly pissed off at you and your audacity to step right back in with a post that refers to it as "Your baby." The one you left on the side of the road to starve and die? Last I checked, you had an idea, and we contributed to that idea to help you form the 200X area. My name is in that Bible, as are several other players. 200X is mine, it's Bill's, it's Fox's, it's Nathans, and right now, in my opinion, it is more "the baby" of those who have been busting their ass for the last three months to keep it from ending up in the 'Inactive Games' section (and I'm not one of those people, I just recently began posting again).

200X began as my idea, and I'm the one who advanced the idea into a proposal, moderated the astonishing flamewars that accompanied its creation, and put rather a lot of my time and energy into its upkeep. Yes, I've been absent for a time, but now I'm back, and my sense of proprietorship is undiminished.

By the way, where did the Star Wars game go?

As glad as you say you are for my return, I cannot reconcile that with the offhanded manner in which you flip barbs such as "your highness" my way. That's extremely impolite and I will not have it. I'm being civil to you. You do the same for me. I will not tolerate a sensation of dread looming over my every visit to this website, concerned about what new insult or stress you have to give to me today. You're not important enough to bring me down. You can be civil to me, or you can leave the setting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For what it's worth...whoever it was from here that found that hardback Aberrant D20 book for nine bucks for me...THANK YOU!

Granted...I would have preferred one of the original White Wolf books, but hey, I'll take what I can get...and it was only nine bucks. Besides, I'm mainly using it for my fic.

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend that because the boat party is so big, that if people want to move off and have small group conversations, that they should breakout fics, not unlike what was done for the Pow Wow in 2006 (?). Just use a tag (I suggest [iNTL]) so that they are easy to find.

Sound good?

Archived