Aberrant: Dead Rising - OOC Stuff

The Fine Balance

Alright, I'll unlock the Box (stop laughing Jameson, I see you giggling in chat) and let you edit so she's outside. smile Plus she can watch to see if Kristin leaves with V and run interception if needed.

Everyone else, proceed thusly.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Venus
I'm sorry if I caused any trouble - I won't be posting today because I feel feverish and under the weather. I hope I'll be better tomorrow. And keep those pitchforks away from me, thanks.

*snicker* You can't be sorry for causing trouble...your concept is more or less designed around instigating it.

Though I do hope you feel better. smile

Originally Posted By: Jules WhiteElk
Originally Posted By: Courier
She got pregnant when V said she would, V spent juice, either V is actively lying or she helped (although James would love to try that again).
I do not recall V saying that at any point in Gathering Covens or the PM we had wrapping it up. I do recall talking that Nash would become pregnant after the cleansing ritual... And all that talk was OOC. Watch the metagaming. I'm not hitting you with any penalty (beyond a warning) because its a more fun to see James leap to a crazy, crazy conclusion. Which at this point has happened so often it's practically part of his concept now. wink
Violet telling James she could make ANY woman pregnant, even negating JoAnna's Birth Control.

Violet: The Goddess had blessed me with her gift of fertility and she wants me to share it. I've never felt like this before, James. So even if you hate or resent me for what has happened I strongly believe that this is larger than the both of us. I can't be selfish about this anymore because it's about the survival of our species and I want to step up and fulfill my part. The Goddess has chosen me and I shall spread her gift."

James tried again, "Most women don't have powers that prevent pregnancy. We've had a birth on base already, there will be others. I think most women have been avoiding getting pregnant for obvious reasons. Jo has an implant. Jill... hasn't been trying to get pregnant." Jill sent her sister after me whenever that time of the month came around. A silly sex game. V's thing is a solution in search of a problem.

Violet: "If you want children with JoAnna, I can help you now, James. Birthcontrol won't matter, trust me. I know can do this."

James knowing that Nashwa would get pregnant from the ritual:

Dawn: Nashwa's eyes were pleading as she looked up at James ... she was the one among his four who wanted to have his baby, right now. She'd given him so much and asked so little.

Further I think I recall V saying she didn't need the full ritual any more.

V's "other lovers not getting pregnant" is from before her (in James' words) spiffy new power. After that we have Jill, and she hasn't slept with any man since the break up.

It's OOC knowledge that her power is sex linked, so James doesn't know that.

I stand corrected on V's IC passing of power. I will miss things, especially since those happened in fictions several months ago. smile

But keep in mind, Violet is telling James what she can do. Nash buys into the magic so if James believes it then she would. My saying that Nash believes is in no way meant to support any OOC stuff; it is what the NPC thinks, and so she acts on it. She believes and she will react according to that belief, not the reality imposed on the game.

And I repeat this point: At no point has V said she was making Nash pregnant ICly. The last conversation on the matter (that was covered) was Nash was doing a ritual to cleanse V before the coven did the ritual to cleanse the site. If V wants to say that she told James that elsewhere, it should be stated as such for me to see.

James can believe these things if he wants as well. My point remains: James is believing everything that V says with his only proof being a single pregnancy. That is not proof; that is a single occurance of the desired outcome happening. Max is right that before James's theory will be accepted, it needs a lot more proof. As V is leaving the Refuge, I doubt such tests will happen.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
But keep in mind, Violet is telling James what she can do.
True. But V is a super and James had no reason to doubt her. He just thought the new power wasn't especially useful. In a selfish sense, he might have been right if male supers can father children.

As far as I/James can tell, thus far V has *not* gotten "magic" to work. She did a ritual and learned a new power. That's just using ritual magic as a focus or teaching tool for your powers.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
My saying that Nash believes is in no way meant to support any OOC stuff; it is what the NPC thinks...
OK, my bad. I'd thought James was picking up on this IC with his uber-perception... which means I've seriously miss played this. Darn it. frown

... :Sigh:

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
And -someone- has to stir things up, Joani! I think it's great you're playing suc a contentious character, and making things happen. smile

Thank you! This means a lot, it really does.

Then on with the stirring up stuff!

Kristy... come here kittykittykitty... firedevil

Heads up for this weekend - I'll be at a convention for most of it. Friday and Sunday I won't be online much as I'll be enroute, and the rest of the time I will be having fun (or so I hope). I will be sticking my head into the forums to check on my games, at the very least.

Yeah, Kristin will accompany Violet, Fox, and Jules (and others, if there are any). The positive reinforcement from all the adults is making her feel pretty damned good about herself (and sort of making her forget that pretty much every adult before them has screwed her over).

Though Venus' ass-grab did make Kristin flex her ass in surprise. smile

I just stumbled over something I wasn't aware until now (and I must say I'm positively surprised).

You reviewed your MDV (I know we had some PMs about it) and from your first draft to the latest you made one change which is pretty essential (and slipped my attention).

You defined the MDV as a soak which subtracts dice BEFORE the roll is made. IIRC that was not the case in your first draft and thus was less balanced than the current version (I actually like it now).

Anyway - two things I want to know/suggest.

1st - Are Mega-Dice ever subtracted (I assume not)? Related to that question - which Dice are subtracted first? (again I assume, first your dots and the Skill/power, then your dots in the Attribute?). And what if the MDV reduces the "attackers" pool to zero? Autofail? Or does the attacker get 1 dice to roll regardless?

Hmm - my 2nd point doesn't make much sense on second thought. I wanted to suggest if the MDV could be put in the players Signature, but since it can vary this idea doesn't work...

That's a link back to the forum summary, Venus wink

House Rules

Quote:
Mental Defense Value

This is further modified from Exalted (props to Reven, who brought it to my attention) and Scion. Here’s the way it works:

Iron Will no longer negates all social attacks with the expenditure of a Willpower. Those who wish to sell Iron Will back may do so, and we can negotiate what they can buy in exchange.

Instead, all characters gain a MDV. This is calculated thusly: Willpower + pertinent ability, then divide by two. The pertinent ability depends on the power being used against you. MDV defends against social powers by creating a soak; the MDV score removes dice from the pool before the check is rolled. Any successes after the roll are counted fully. Those influencing a group of normal NPCs will roll against a general crowd MDV; supers get to check against their own MDV. An MDV can be modified by the following: Sexy merit, Lusty Flaw, Social Penalties from Taint and sexual preferences of the targeted character.

An example*

Jules is wicked pissed at Morgan, so she decides to seduce Ger to ‘show him’. Ger respects Fox way too much to just bang ‘his chick’, high App or not. He would like to decline, so his MDV applies. His Willpower is a 6 and the ST decides to let him use Rapport as the resistance skill. That is a two for the guy, so his calculations are: 6+2 = 8, divided by 2 is 4. However, Ger is definitely attracted to Jules, so his MDV drops to a 3. Jules takes three dice from her pool as Ger’s social soak. She then rolls her Manipulation+ Seduction. She gets four sux, and Ger can’t resist the honey she offers. Had he not been attracted to women, he would have gotten a bonus to his MDV rather than a penalty.

*stats made up to protect the hapless characters dragged into this example

Social Shield

It works just like Psychic Shield, but only adds difficulties to social attacks.

I just stumbled over something I wasn't aware until now (and I must say I'm positively surprised).

You reviewed your MDV (I know we had some PMs about it) and from your first draft to the latest you made one change which is pretty essential (and slipped my attention).

You defined the MDV as a soak which subtracts dice BEFORE the roll is made. IIRC that was not the case in your first draft and thus was less balanced than the current version (I actually like it now).

I'm pretty sure I sent you a PM pointing out the new changes before I made them. Regardless, I agree, this is better.

1st - Are Mega-Dice ever subtracted (I assume not)? Related to that question - which Dice are subtracted first? (again I assume, first your dots and the Skill/power, then your dots in the Attribute?). And what if the MDV reduces the "attackers" pool to zero? Autofail? Or does the attacker get 1 dice to roll regardless?

Mega-Dice are not subtracted unless all of the regular dice are gone (and that'd take a lot of doing). It doesn't matter whether it removes your skill or attie dice; they are all regular dice and therefore the same. If the MDV reduces to zero, then the attacker gets a die so long as his/her attack is at least half of the MDV. If it falls below half, then nada.

Does that cover it?

Perfectly - and like I mentioned, I'm sure you PM'd it to me before you posted and the little word before simply slipped my attention. I only saw the other, more obvious changes (and that's why I initially thought it was a step in the right direction but still not balanced)

Everything is fine now, though. Like I said, I like it this way.

Two things:

1) Fictions where moved over, so check the Experience Reward thread to see if you got some candy.

2) I've had several people independently approach me about the possibility of having a secondary character in DR. Before peoples' wig fly off their heads, let me say that I am not allowing this YET. The 'yet' is there because this is something I'd like everyone's honest opinion on. Here are the rules that the secondaries would be following:

--1) They start as base PCs with no bonus starting xp. They will follow all the starting rules.

--2) The secondary character must be approved by me, and I will expect that it will bring something new to the game. It shouldn't be an excuse to have another PC, but rather a way to tell stories in this world that can't be told with your current NPC.

--3) Your characters cannot have major interactions, nor can they reside in the same enclave.

--4) No xp swapping/borrowing/lending.

--5) At least a year of steady posting with your primary. Sorry, new guys. This is a bennie to be earned through time and dedication. Steady means I make allowances for upheavels in life, but not for you jacking off and ignoring DR.

Again, I want everyone's honest opinions, even from the newbies because your chance will come. For that reason, I'll accept opinions via PM (which I will post here for everyone to read with no indication who gave them to me) or via the Anonymous posting feature here (you can do that by posting when you're logged out; you merely have to submit an image verification code first). Normally, I frown on such things and ask people to ID themselves if posting while logged out, but in this case, I'll allow it.

Please feel free to start talking. I'd like to know what you think.

First of all I want to thank you for considering this option. I was one of those Players who asked how your stance on this topic is.

Unfortunately point 3 of your list of restrictions totally cancels the idea I was having. While I'm interested in running a second PC I don't want to create a PC in a complete new enclave/environment. It is the established Refuge with it's political and social entanglements that was inspiring me for another PC. Starting over at some other random place wouldn't be the same for me and defeat the purpose of my initial idea.

I do understand your reasons for imposing these restrictions but point 3 makes it not interesting for me anymore. If you ask for votes/opinion I would've to abstain to be fair. If I was selfish I would say forget about it, I stick to my single PC.

This is on no way meant to criticise your proposed rules - unfortunately they don't allow me to do what I wanted to do.

Unfortunately point 3 of your list of restrictions totally cancels the idea I was having. While I'm interested in running a second PC I don't want to create a PC in a complete new enclave/environment. It is the established Refuge with it's political and social entanglements that was inspiring me for another PC.

Courier is right - with V leaving the Refuge and going to Olympius, the field is open for you to have a PC at the Refuge.

The reasoning behind point 3 is simple. I cut my teeth here on the N!Prime boards. There people could make as many PCs as they wanted and you saw a lot of cases where peoples' PCs were best buddies and they could pull off super-awesome combinations because these people always worked together. In a story-driven system, all that meant was some uninteresting "oh-wow-we're-awesome" stories. In a ST-driven story, that becomes a headache for me to create something challenging. That's my reasoning for it - hence why I also said they can't have major interactions.

Oh, I fully sympathize with your reasons, I honestly do and I don't want to cause any headaches or create an unbeatable superduo (you know me good enough, I'd never do anything like that.)

I will have to think about an alternative to my idea and Venus' departure isn't the major reaosn although it seems opportune at this moment. Do you really expect her to never come back? That wasn't my plan actually, although it seems as if she'll get banished at the moment...

Anyway, I PM you as soon as I have found an alternative and try to provide you with the necessary details.

Archived