Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

I'm not sure, I don't recall which ones require a Mega Attribute to function. I know some base their effect on how large a Mega Attribute you have. Like Thunderclap for instance bases it's effect on the number of dots of Mega Strength you have. Etc...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umi - Pretty much, unless you get a variation approved by the group. For example, I'd like to have Restorative Activity x2 with a static effect of 30 min = 1 hr of sleep to mimic the elven 4 hours of meditation = 8 hrs of sleep from AD&D.

It has the effect as if he had M-Stam 2, but even if he ends up with M-Stam 5 at some point, the effect doesn't change (normally that would move the effect to 12 min = 1 hr).

I wouldn't have a problem with Theme Song. But if we want to stay with just the sources that are already allowed, you could just take the Holo power (Core, p.201), and say it affects sound instead of sight (you have to choose which sense it affects when you buy the power). Possibly put some Weaknesses on it to say it can only produce music (which would let you produce a variety of music instead of just one theme song), and maybe reduce the range while increasing the area (so it is centered on you). It's a concentration power, which I think would work very well for a Bardic Music type effect. And then there wouldn't be issues of making another power dependent on it.

I've posted my character and I realize that it's fairly different from the other PC's made for CN so far. Please let me know what you guys think (especially about the custom aberration and the gadgets). I want to make sure that I'm not breaking the game or annoying people unduly.

Okay... I'm seeing this.

There are some things that yes... would fit. But this is waaay beyond scope. There is a butt load of equivalent NP in this collection of gadgets here.

I'd hate to say it, but you should tone this down, or change the concept. I like the concept up to the gadgets.

The new gadgets proposal is up, I will make a seperate thread for feedback.

Also in addendum: Usually we disagree from time to time, but in regards to Gadgets, I want to give a hearty Thank You to everyone that has contributed so far to this. Everyone has been excellent and our debate not only civil, but we're doing the one thing that this format was built for. Collaboration! So everyone... thank you.

This has become a huge stress source for me. With the rules arguments and little actual game play.

It's time we start working on getting every problem we have with this game sorted. I'm taking a break from CN for a few days.

Hopefully when I return things will be more sorted. Just don't count me as a vote for anything during this time. I'll just be happy when you guys have something.

Take a breather. This game is shaping up to be pretty heavy with gadgets and that seems like fun to me. We just need to hammer it out, which I think is going pretty well. The proposal that Mala made in the other thread seems pretty decent, and seems to be a condensed version of what we've been discussing all day.

I have a request. Can those gadgets already in play be grandfathered into the game until we've revised the rules? I mean those gadgets that are already statted out in the Inventions thread. Because otherwise, Kei and Karrie are technically not eligible for the plot thread, which would suck since the players in question did nothing wrong.

Once we've settled on the rules, those grandfathered items would be un-grandfathered and would be required to be revised ASAP. But until then, can those PCs currently in play be allowed to continue with their approved gadgets?

Can we have it then where the gadgets can be converted as if they had XP/NP paid for them? It would take some kerjiggering, but doable.

No, I can't agree to this as its effectively getting NP or xp simply for having a gadget. You can redeem them for the points paid for them, to then use for rebuilding them (or anything else if you hate whatever system we end up with).

Or at least, that's my vote. :D

I don't think that was what I wanted to ask.

What I wanted to ask was if the gadgets we have can be BUILT with the NP/XP method.

To be honest though if we cannot make the gadgets we have with the system that is approved (if one ever gets approved) we should get our XP/NP invested back.

I don't think that was what I wanted to ask.

What I wanted to ask was if the gadgets we have can be BUILT with the NP/XP method.

To be honest though if we cannot make the gadgets we have with the system that is approved (if one ever gets approved) we should get our XP/NP invested back.

Agreed.

I also feel I need to point something out here.

Dave's rules were approved for the game. For us to say they are unapproved without a majority +1 vote is incorrect. With that in mind, we don't need to grandfather anything. Dave's rules are in effect until we replace them. So at this time, Mala's first build as it was presented was a valid build. Once again, we had people changing the rules after the fact and in response to one PC. That is bullshit and we need to drop it.

So again:

Dave's rules are still in effect by the rules of CN.

Yep. Agreed.

Thing is, this is a blanket refit for all of IE too. I purposely brought it into IE when it was Me, Long, and Fox to test it out. At the time I was using IE like a sandbox. Thing is, what I wanted to bring those rules into died, so I neglected to keep going.

Now the hard stuff has come. I feel partially responsible for the chaos.

I almost feel the gadget debate is a kneejerk.

We can regulate the environment here. It's just that now if we return to the old paradigm that threshold will be overcompensated toward refusal. We've gotta convince everybody they can still swim in the same pool and if it takes draining it to the same depth as the shallow end, so be it, it seems.

I almost feel the gadget debate is a kneejerk.

We can regulate the environment here. It's just that now if we return to the old paradigm that threshold will be overcompensated toward refusal. We've gotta convince everybody they can still swim in the same pool and if it takes draining it to the same depth as the shallow end, so be it, it seems.

It is a complete kneejerk to Mala's PC. No one had issue with it until she posted her PC, so once again we had people changing things after the fact.

I'd like to think we can come to a better situation than "lowest common denominator".

Well the reason why I even set this bomb off, was the fact suddenly everyone thought I was responsible for bringing the Antichrist into the world by making that custom background. To be honest I liked the character and her concept could have been great. But... people tend to polarize.

Correction: I ADAPTED that background.

It's nice to know that my character wasn't completely despised, because that's the feel I've had throughout this entire ordeal. S/he wasn't made to break the game. I thought of an interesting concept and used the rules presented to create it. Hell, I only used 54 NP to build him because at the point I'd covered the gear he was wearing when she erupted and figured that was all that came over (and had a ton of frustrated jokes for him about the fact that his Bag of Holding with all his potions, wands, etc. and his frickin' spellbook had gotten left behind, which was half the reason he had no inherent powers and had to rely on a "pitiful handful of magical items I just happened to be wearing at the time.")

Again, I don't generally make characters to stomp around a game crushing people's nuts and twisting nipples. I'm not in it for the "I win" combats but for interactive storytelling.

I think the reason behind my believing that with tweaks you would have worked is that I tend to get sold on unique concepts. To be honest you could have built yourself as a lower-level DnD character that got thrust into the body of a human in our world... at least that is your character's quantum paradigm.

You wouldn't have as many gadgets but you would have had a few. Maybe lower power but you would have had them.

Then again, I'm only uncomfortable with high powered characters because I am adverse to power, even when I have it.

I'll be honest... I liked the original Gadget rules. I really did.

My personal preference at this point is the last suggestion I posted, which places Innovations as powers with a Weakness that makes them an item. There are some other Weaknesses and Strengths suggested as well as how to handle Mega-Attributes, Enhancements, and melding together a Gadget and an Innovation.

Here's the link for reference.

It's much less broken than the current Gadget power rules, allows Innovation powers to be bought in-theme or out, and reduces the benefit gained from the fact that access to the power can be taken away through removal/theft/damage of the item.

the problem I had Mala wasn't the idea of your charcter, it seemed cool enough.

you made a 54 point character, that's nice, and your choice.

His devices gave him more power than any three other 100 np characters. Even factoring things as in-theme, which I'm dead set against, it was over an additional 135 np worth of powers from gadgets, still nearly twice what any other PC started with, and you did this with half the allowed starting points.. That was my main complaint. It was wholly unbalanced. Technically legal by the rules, but I felt it violated the spirit of fairness and balance that's supposed to exisit in CN.

Of course they can be taken away, but he can always make more. There's pro's and cons here, Now You may not ever abuse that level of power, but in all fairness, the fact you even have it is unfair. As I said, one or two major items like that would have been fine, I likely would have not bat an eye. But a dozen of them, I'd honestly have preferred for game balance, this PC been built with the powers from the gadgets on the PC, may not have had all of them at 5 or even all of them as with the gadgets, and have dumbo syndrome if you feel the ust have some item to function properly, than havea 54 np pc with 300 np in powers from gadgets.

Edited my sheet as well. Asa noticed an issue with the extras I had bought on a couple powers, so I fixed that, but also corrected the fact that Molecular Manip was bought out of theme and it was pointed out by a couple people that it should be in theme. So I put the extra NP into Sanctum and one more gadget, which he doesn't have yet, but it's paid for.

Still need to go back now that we've settled on a gadgets rules and make sure my gadgets are properly built.

I'd like to propose this enhancement:

Natural Surveyor

Mega-Perception enhancement

Pool: Perception + Awareness

With this enhancement, a nova is able to pinpoint measurements for any object she can perceive.

System: Spend a quantum and roll Perception + Awareness. With one success, she can determine the precise distance to a visible target, accurately give the dimensions of an object if she can see the extent of all three planes or touch the surface of the object, or state the weight of something she can lift with confidence to two decimal places. Each success after the first allows her to add another decimal place to her measurement.

If she can't see all the sides or pick something up, with one success, she can make an accurate guess that will fall within 20% of the actual measurement. Each success thereafter reduces that range by 5%, maxing at 5% variation - it is still a guess, after all.

I've just been told that Holographic Awareness from Brainwaves does this and more. So nevermind. :D

Not off hand, but if Nights is the official start of CN, it was sort of agreed that the RL date of the first official thread was "Day 1" of the campaign's calendar. Any others simply have dates mentioned in their stories.

Mission 0 has dates that are in 2011 (Since they are origin/history stories) and Telluris also has a fiction like this.

Archived