Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

Oooh, I have such a BIG headache! Ohhh, how I wish I could fly! Life seems so pointless, I think I'll jump off this building 'cause my head just hurts soooo much! Ooh... 

LOL ::laugh

By the way - for those who want an idea of what Osaka is like, the classic Hollywood 'Japan' film 'Black Rain' is set there, so's the animé 'Legend of the Overfiend' (& the sequal 'Legend of the Demon Womb') for those who aren't faint of heart (ignore the tentacles & look at the buildings... ::sly ).

Osaka's Japan's third largest city (after Tokyo & Yokohama), is seen as being 'ugly' (although the castle is the single most visited attraction in Japan) but friendly, with the local dialect being one of the more earthy ones in the country. A common local greeting is 'Mo kari-makka?' or 'Are you making any money?', but the locals play as hard as they work.

All the traditional arts are represented in the city, but it's also a haven for the youth scenes - such as Novox music - & lowlife comedy acts. Amateur rock bands perform in front of the Osaka-jo-koen station (just north of the castle) to hordes of fans (mostly teenage girls) each Sunday from noon to six in the afternoon.

Osaka has the country's largest community of Koreans, & a growing gaijin population. It also has one of the country's larger gay & lesbian scenes.

It also has some of the best food in Japan, but without the snobbery of some Japanese cuisines - a typical local dish is takoyaki - battered octopus balls - sold as a street snack. Mr Tendo sells the local variety of udon noodles - simmered in veggie, seafood, or meat broth.

Shops, clubs & restaurants of both Western & traditional types are around, from the trendy Amerika-mura area to the Hozen-ji Yokocho area's old-time Osaka feel (complete with paper lanterns).

Apart from the Yakuza with their public offices & easily-spotted younger chimpira members (dark glasses, fancy hair-do, expensive but tasteless suit, etc.), there are yamambas - gangs of teenage girls with bleached hair, white make-up, & funky outifts. There are also bosozuku 'wild speed tribe' biker gangs about (you've all seen Akira, right?), which have been joined, in the Nova age, by onizuku 'monster tribe' gangs who sport screw-on horns & other body-modifications & are the most likely in the fairly drugs-free Japanese culture to abuse Mite & similar substances, & Novazuku 'Nova tribe' gangs who are essentially cosplay Novaphiles who act-out LARP style in the real world.

Hope that gives a bit more of an overall feel to the city.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
set there, so's the animé 'Legend of the Overfiend' (& the sequal 'Legend of the Demon Womb')
Another great reason to watch them. ::closedeyes
...the tournament rules for judo... that'll teach me to post 'there's a judo tournament' without actually thinking about what that means ::rolleyes .
Hm. Are tournaments limited to the actual club members? I'm guessing 'yes' but guess I should ask.

Nabiki's face suddenly flashes with color, but the arrival of Haruki thankfully snaps her into business mode; her voice is cool and professional, her best yakuza.

A thousand yen for pictures-

The young entrepenuer cocks her head and peers carefully at her new cash cow.

Double that for panties, with half up front, non-negotiable.

She sneaks Rumi a sly look over her shoulder that indicates that things are perhaps looking up...

You are asking $8.84 for her pics and $17.68 for the panties? You are so mad at her you are losing profits!! ::laugh

You would do better to steal multiple sets of her underthings and sell them on ebay!

... Standing behind Haruki, he smirks again as he listens to his bumbling request...

Sorry Sablesma - you can't do that sort of 'Dramatic Editing' in play-by-post games. Haruki was stated as checking to make sure he wouldn't be overheard, then whispering. You can't just blow his big secret by acting on out-of-character information & then editing yourself into the scene. The whole game would quickly break down into editing one-upmanship if that was allowed.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Cheers.

Sorry Sablesma - you can't do that sort of 'Dramatic Editing' in play-by-post games. Haruki was stated as checking to make sure he wouldn't be overheard, then whispering. You can't just blow his big secret by acting on out-of-character information & then editing yourself into the scene. The whole game would quickly break down into editing one-upmanship if that was allowed.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Cheers.

Oops. ::blush ::brick

One of these days I'll stop making these mistakes.

Guess that's why it still says rookie next to my name, huh?

Consider it edited, sorry about that...back on track (for now).

You are asking $8.84 for her pics and $17.68 for the panties?  You are so mad at her you are losing profits!! ::laugh

You would do better to steal multiple sets of her underthings and sell them on ebay!

She's actually expecting this to be a pretty tough job, what with her being famous and all. And yes, she could fake it, but now the gauntlet has been thrown, and she wants to test herself against her worthy adversary.

"Begun the quest for the panties has!" ::stormtrooper

Don't be too hard on yourself - I really like your character so far. ::thumbsup

I agree - don't worry, you're doing fine, dude ::smile

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is really necessary since this thread seems to be going sliiiightly slow. But I'm going all over Europe for the next few weeks so my internet use will be pretty limited. I'll try to check in, but unless something crazy happens you can probably just assume Seiji is zoning out to music.

... Kenshi buys bento from Mister Tendo’s noodle stand...

Think you've misunderstood a bit there. A 'bento' is a packed lunch brought with you to the school, even if you buy it ready made from a shop you'll have it with you. Mister Tendo's noodle stand sells noodle soup - which you won't really be able to easily pack into a lunch box... ::wink

Mister Tendo's stand is off school grounds (hence it being frowned upon for pupils to head over there for their lunch) - most pupils remain in the classroom to eat or, if the weather's nice, eat outside (sitting beneath the cherry blossoms perhaps). Once they've eaten pupils do their own thing at lunchtime - sometimes meeting up with friends in other classrooms, but usually hanging out with friends in their own class, or outside. Pupils aren't really meant to leave the school grounds during the day - but Mister Tendo's stand isn't really into the city proper (it's at the edge of the castle park) so pupils can usually get away with popping over there to eat if they want to.

Mister Tendo doesn't sell bags of soup either... or pot noodles... or dodgy kebabs... or anything else similar...

I'd still like Mister Green to edit his post so that I have some idea of where his character is - is he walking off school grounds & over to Mister Tendo's, or is he just sitting in class?

• 1 year later...

Okay, so I'm thinking of starting this game rolling again...

... the good news is that there's only a few pages to re-read (un-like some other games I could mentions...). There's a bit more of this OOC thread, but it's not really that bad... honest... ::wink

Anyone still around from the original run is, naturally, welcome to just jump right back in (you all remember where you stashed your character sheets, right? ::unsure ). Any new guys interested should probably take the time to read back through this OOC thread to get the gist of the various rules changes & genre-specific stuff I chucked into this one - if still interested after that (& you like what you read in the existing game thread), then feel free to drop me a line!

Me... well, I guess I better go re-learn how to play Aberrant & check my campaign notes some more.

Let's see if this puppy's still got some life in it!

Cheers all,

ProfPotts.

holy shit! this was my first game on here and when i stopped i...i just assumed it was my fault. i've been blaming myself and living my life in shame ever since. but now it's back! it's like i have a new lease on life!

seriously, glad to have you back potts, lets do this thang. pretty sure i can get my character all ready to go again.

Roll call sounds like a good idea - give a shout if you're up for playing!

I've got hardcopies of all the original character sheets I was sent (luckily I tend to file everything role-p' related & throw nothing away) - so returning players can start posting whenever they want to ::thumbup .

Blue Thunder (& anyone else interested) - happy to have you on board ::thumbup1 . I would ask that you take a moment to read through the stuff posted in the game so far (not a lot, really), & another to glance through this OOC thread - scan over my posts here & you'll note a few rules differences & comments on genre & stuff: somewhere after the initial start of the OOC thread I change from allowing already erupted Novas as characters to having everyone pre-eruption so it's really pretty basic stage one chargen. No merits or flaws, & dots are scaled towards a teenage / high school (rather than an adult / cruel world) setting are the major differences I can recall off the top of my head. Most other chargen questions are probably covered somewhere in this thread... ::unsure

I'd love to join in myself. However, I'll be flying back to California tomorrow (back to work :( ), so it'll probably be at least 2 or 3 days before I can really familiarize myself with the old threads and create a character. I hope that's not too long. If it is, then go ahead and start without me, I won't get my feelings hurt.

Greetings Potts! SkyLion here. I joined just over a year ago so we've never met, but I have numerous posts by way of personal reference. Welcome back! I of course, know about you, as you have made an elecronically indellible imprint upon Eon.

So I finally finished reading the OOC thread and am getting started on the IC thread. More importantly, I finally posted up in the Mars game I just joined (getting to the first post is always the hardest for me...), which means I can now consider joining this game.

I also already have a good idea of who Id like to play. If you give me the okay, I shall PM you details and ask for feedback...

Sincerely Sky

Just an idea, why not start a new thread for the game? Since you're picking up after such a long absence, why not just start things over? That would probably feel better to the newer players. Make it "next year" or something. Or not. Whatever works!

BTW, I'll probably play a female character, since I have a feeling everyone else will be male, and I have no problem playing either gender (or both...Yin-Yang enhancement, anybody?!).

If you give me the okay, I shall PM you details and ask for feedback...

Anyone wanting to play can feel free to PM me, glad to have the interest! ::smile

I would like to play again...but I want to play a different character.

That's fine, if you want, but there's nothing wrong with Kio 'wannabe ninja ::ninja ' Takemine as far as I can tell...

Just an idea, why not start a new thread for the game? Since you're picking up after such a long absence, why not just start things over? That would probably feel better to the newer players. Make it "next year" or something. Or not. Whatever works!

If you check out the IC thread you'll note that a sum total of a single morning has passed in game time, so I can't see much point in restarting anything - this thing never got past the 'start' the first time round! ::wink

I would still be interested in playing my same character as before.
Reviewing my notes... I think I did a pretty good job with Kenshi and will stick with him.

Cool - Aki & Kenshi are both great characters ::biggrin .

Okey dokey, as you've probably noticed, I have moved this into the active game area. If you need anything else, just PM me and I'll get it sorted for you.

Cheers muchly! ::thumbup

That's fine, if you want, but there's nothing wrong with Kio 'wannabe ninja ' Takemine as far as I can tell...

No, theres nothing wrong with him. You can use him as an NPC if you want. I want to move to a different cahracter. I have a new random history book that I love using.

You want a copy, BTW? I have all 3 central casting books for you to 'borrow'.

Ah, good ol' Central Casting - I've used that on & off for years, although I tend to find it better for inspiration than for totally random backgrounds (which usually get weird really quickly... 'He was born one of clone triplets in an ancient temple orbiting a black hole in another dimension before being transported in time & space & being adopted by aliens who...' etc. ::wacko ).

Good heavens, what's this?! Who is this figure staggering out of the darkness, with a long beard down to his knees? Can it be....Potts?! ::blink Jesus, dude! It's good to see you, but talk about vanishing without a trace! I hope things are well with you since we last chatted in here.

As for this game, I'd love to play again, and I still have Nabiki's sheet (I can send you a copy if you need one). I seem to remember having a brother, possibly played by Zeke, but I can't remember...

Good to have you back, sir! ::biggrin

I've been playing a superhero version of this on another forum, kinda fun but it's been quiet for a year now. My character there was a very powerful alien telepath that hatched from a meteor but so alien that I gave other telepaths headaches and could only speak a handful of Japanese. I wouldn't mind joining this one if I can, something a little more normal. Ish.

Keep in mind that in regular Japanese schools classrooms are cleaned by the students themselves and juniors are responsible for taking care of the offices. There might be one or two janitors but they take care of the public areas & grounds.

Usually you have to buy the school uniform - if you've just transfered in, you wear the school uniform of your last school - with the exception of if you're moving up from middle to high school for example you don't show up for your first day of high school in your middle school uniform. Any idea on uniform costs or are they issued?

Strangely enough, I've been watching an anime on YouTube called Alice Academy that's almost like this storyline - kids with Nova-like powers (they call them 'Alices') who get wisked off to this elite government-run academy. What many don't learn is that once you're in the academy, they almost never let you outside school grounds. It's not just to protect the people living near the school - it's mostly to protect the students from people who think they can ransom kidnapped kids - or know about the abilities of the students and will sell them into slavery for their Alices. And most of the teachers (but almost never the substitutes) have Alices.

Business Cards - These are exchanged during a first meeting. Kids dont usually do this (everyone is your level or above most times), but adults will do this so they know mow much respect to show a person (the difference between -san and -sama).
This is a big business thing, but probably not used for school things. You take the card, and usually they have a special kind of folder specifically for business cards. You never write on a business card, and you never bend it, or put it in your wallet or somewhere else it is likely to become damaged, as these are very disrespectful.
7. A teacher who teaches some relatively innocuous subject (cooking, fashion, art) but treats it like a combat discipline: "Then you beat the eggs into submission! Show 'em who's boss!" This instructor may well be heavily armed, either with traditional weaponry, guns or weapons made from stuff used in their subject (spatula guns, pencil swords, etc.)
I've actually used a four-foot spatula to barbeque with. It would work just as well as any other long length of pipe - possibly even cut someone if you hit them with the thin part just right.

Anyway ... Potts, does the school have an art club, and an archery club? I'm thinking of throwing a character in here anyway, despite how busy my life is sure to become in the next six months.

And the character I am submitting to the Prof:

Miyako Miyamoto (BlueNinja) female

Backing 3 (Art Club President)

Backing 0 (archery club member)

Influence 2 (teachers, due to high-ranking military parents)

Miya-miya (a nickname from her parents that she loathes, but won't admit) is a brilliant artist and a complete stickler for the rules. Rumors around the school say that her parents, high-ranking members of the Japanese Self-Defense Force (mother) and the US Navy (father), put pressure on the school to admit her despite her not-quite-meeting the academic standards. Miyako is stuck living in the dormitories, with a rather small stipend from her parents. She's managed to take over the Art Club presidency thanks to her knowledge (or abuse, if you're feeling uncharitable) of the rules of club membership. She is also a mediocre archer who helps the Archery Club meet minimum scores, without actually helping them win awards. Miyako is a likeable enough student, but her lack of popularity comes mostly from her refusal to break the rules herself (though occasionally, she can be convinced to "overlook" an infraction or two).

Archived