Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Chapter 1 Set-Up

Blue Thunder

Chapter 1 is about to begin, but given the nature of the game (where I split the players up to explore different paths) I need to do a little bit of preparation before we begin each Chapter. That's where you guys come in! I'm going to propose the different general pathways your characters can take in the next Chapter given the over-all theme, and you reply with the course your character will take. Since this is the first Chapter, we'll be hammering out any kinks with my little system here, so bear with me if we stumble a bit.

Chapter 1 will be focusing on a massive Teragen assault on the Church of Michael Archangel, and the attempt to rescue a powerful nova from the church. The events may very well form the catalyst for the Night of Long Knives...

I'll be posting related material soon, but the general set-up is this:

Geryon and various other Terats (mostly from The Primacy and Nova Vigilance) have been performing assaults on CoMA gatherings in recent months. This is in response to the church declaring the Teragen, specifically Geryon, their primary enemy among novas and as agents of Satan.

But the church is in the middle of turmoil. In the past year, the three most powerful members of CoMA have died or gone missing. Reverend Milo Arboghast died in a fire in New York City, Dr. Micah Piper was assassinated by Geryon during an anti-nova rally, and Reverend Theobald Horton fled his home with his son at the same time evidence of his performing sexual acts on his own son were leaked to the public.

To make matters even more volatile, a young nova (Austin Frost, age 17) was recently murdered by his Michaelite parents shortly after his eruption in Seattle. While the church has been trying to disassociate itself from the murder, novas from Mephistofaleez to The Houston Tornado have been openly proclaiming thier opposition to CoMA on the OpNet and news channels. It is not a good time for the church, despite its ever increasing membership.

The resulting media frenzy over the sex scandal and the Austin Frost murder form the back-drop for the Chapter's beginning. The Horton scandal breaks just a week before Chapter 1 starts. Geryon and other Terats decide that CoMA is at its most vulnerable, so the time is ripe to attack. Up until this point, Terat attacks on the church have been solitary or in small groups, and always brief.

Geryon, Shrapnel, and The Apostle spend the three days after the Horton scandal breaks planning their attack. They propose a multi-squad assault on various CoMA buildings and gathering places; they plan to cripple the church before it can gather its strength again, and they plan on it making headline news around the world. They know they can't destroy the church, but they do plan on crippling it for as long as they can, and they do plan on making an example out of it.

If this plan is carried out, it will be the largest and most coordinated Teragen assault in the movement's history, even larger than the assault on Bahrain that saw the rescue of Caroline Fong and other captured Terats. They call on any interested Terats to join the multi-pronged assault, and many have come forward. Since there aren't likely to be many novas defending CoMA, some expect the battle to be painfully one-sided, but Geryon is quick to remind everyone that Team Tomorrow will likely show up sometime after the assault begins.

The Mathematician and Orzaiz support the attack, to the surprise of everyone else in the movement. The Count disagrees strongly with the open slaughter of so many baselines, and Pedro refuses to comment on the aftereffects that the attack will bring, but the two have thier own plan in place: the rescue of a captive nova. Using his information network, the Count has discovered that the church is hiding a nova of considerable ability from the public, and Pedro has decided that now is the best time to attempt the rescue. Details have been kept minimal, and only a few Terats have become privvy to the nova's existence, but Pedro and Orzaiz plan on using Geryon's assault as a distraction to rescue the captive nova.

The few Terats that have been made aware of the captive nova's existence are sworn to secrecy until their mission is complete. What they do know is that the nova is referred to as Erik and he has the powerful ability to detect latency in baselines. The church has been using Erik to find latents so they can kill them before they erupt, something Orzaiz has been trying to collect evidence of over the past two years. What isn't known is whether this nova has been working with the church willingly, if he's being forced to cooperate through threat of death, or if he assists the church out of shame for his "evil" nova powers. Novas attempting to contact Erik are told to expect anything and prepare for the worst.

There you have it, that's the basic background for the Chapter. There are two basic paths for your character to choose from for this Chapter.

1 - Join Geryon's assault against the Church of Michael Archangel. This option will likely focus on combat and publicity, and have your character fighting side-by-side with prominent Terats in battle.

2 - Help rescue the captive nova. This option will likely focus on stealth and ingenuity, and have your character dealing with a powerful and potentially twisted nova.

3 - Another option. If you have any suggestions for where you want to go for Chapter 1, present them. This could be an alternate story-path related to the Church of Michael Archangel that you wish to explore aside from the other two options, or something related to your character's background that you want to roleplay in-game. If you feel that neither of the above options suits you, then you're free to suggest another story-branch.

At least two players are required for any story-branch. I will only allow one additional story-branch for this Chapter aside from the main two options, and only if at least two players agree to roleplay it.

It is important to remember that just because you start in a certain story-branch, it does not mean you'll be stuck in it for the entire Chapter. One story-branch could end before another one, which may prompt me to start a new one and/or have players go to the other story-branches, or you may even switch to another story-branch before your current one ends, based on circumstances. Heck, all story-branches could come to an end and I might start new ones up again before the Chapter is finished, or the Chapter might end when all the story-branches combine into one for a "finale" ending.

If your character is going to do anything in preparation for the Chapter, let me know. This would include using Backgrounds and acquiring certain gear and technology you want.

Also, it is very important to note that the attacks on the church are just the beginning of Chapter 1; where the story goes from there is up to you guys. You may end up on the other side of the world, in an entirely different situation than the one you started in. Don't always expect to be doing the same thing all Chapter long.

Remember this is a little experimental, so just go with the flow for now.

I would like to have Leiko join Option 2; her powers would make her useful for an attack where speed and sudden undetected strikes are needed. Her powers also would let her circumvent some electronic security systems, as well as making "doors" in walls that can be closed behind us (as well as being silent, unlike M-Strength).

Between the Prologue and Chapter 1, Leiko would have been at work making actual ties with her fan clubs, and exhorting them to oppose CoMA. Which reminds me to ask - were we supposed to get XP for the Prologue? I don't remember seeing an answer to this when it was asked before.

Is the mission objective for option 2 a secret from most or all of the novas involved in option 1? If so, do you need anybody to help keep those invovled in option 1 from noticing what those in option 2 are doing right under their noses? The reason I ask is that, since James is essentially a lackey of Orzaiz's (as opposed to a protege, or a trusted colleague) he wouldn't necassarily be picked for option 2. Add to that the fact that there are others on the team who are better suited for stealth missions. However, as a "lackey" who spends much of his time in Orzaiz's camp, he might well know about the secret mission, and if someone was needed to run interference (i.e. act as a distraction) James would be a perfectly good candidate. Of course, option 1 means he'd be working with Shrapnel... ::ohmy ::sad

So far:

Group 1 (Geryon's assault):

Jack

Group 2 (Finding Erik):

Envy

Leiko

Still to place:

Colony

Roach

King Cobra

James

Wonton violence, here I come!

They'll fight back with General Tsao's Chicken. Be careful.

Is the mission objective for option 2 a secret from most or all of the novas involved in option 1?

Pretty much. Orzaiz and The Mathematician don't want the...uh, zealous...Terats getting a hold of a potentially powerful nova, so they're keeping them in the dark until they recruit (or kill) him.

Of course, option 1 means he'd be working with Shrapnel...

And you two are the bestest friends ever.

By my count:

Group 1 (Geryon's assault):

Jack

(Jill)

James

(Jane)

Group 2 (Finding Erik):

Envy

Roach

Leiko

Still to place:

Colony

King Cobra

Mission 1 appears to be more of a kick but thing, Mission 2 is a bit more complicated and may involve talking to the guy... so the current break down works pretty well. The one thing that bothers me is COMA might try to kill the guy as soon as we show up. Great power <> Great Soak. I think I lean towards putting Bob with the Group Two crew, they might need a stealth guy.

Okay, now that I have my bio posted, I figure I should comment here as well. As you can probably tell from my bio, Kyle doesnt have any real combat abilities. Yet at least. Some protective abilities, but thats about it. So he is best placed in group 2, especially considering that he is a friend of Petro and its likely he might have even been asked to lend a hand in finding Erik.

I think my character would go with option 2 as well, though I'd be happy to join a side mission with one or two other characters if anyone has any ideas. (Investigating the history of this Erik, anyone?)

Kyle would probably be fairly helpfull in the way of an investigation as well if they do end up doing something to that effect. Kyle can be quite the investigator, when he really wants to be.

Sorry Bahamut, my character's too paranoid and wouldn't permit it. Also, I think it's kind of a gimpish power now, based on ProfPotts's comments about it a while back and its more recent use in Trans-D. No offense to Blue or Alex, or the rest of the players taking advantage of the link.

I guess KC will work with group 2, at least at first. It seems like kind of a large group for something supposedly this little-known and necessarily clandestine.

Agreed. Unless Shade objects, Envy can send Roach with group 1. (And I know you want to Shade...you want to jump on walls and spit acid at people! Besides, Envy says he needs you to make sure no innocents get harmed in the crossfire.

I should stay in Group 2 since Envy doesn't go public until later. Hmmm...BN...are you sure about group 2? You wont be able to cut loose with your powers as much, on the other hand we could use your social abilities with Erik. Colony Im not sure about. He seems suited to infiltration as well as combat. Did you take Clone Alex? ::laugh

I still think Phoenix should float around with his Teleport. ::happy

I think my character would go with option 2 as well, though I'd be happy to join a side mission with one or two other characters if anyone has any ideas. (Investigating the history of this Erik, anyone?)

If you want to make a third branch, this is an option, though investigating Erik's history is not needed. Orzaiz's men have done all the digging they can, and they were within the church itself.

Although...I actually do have a good plot twist that I could justify a third branch for; it was something that was going to happen anyways, during the raid, while most of the Terats were busy. It doesn't have anything to do with the Michaelite attacks really (though to be fair, once the CoMA assault is done, the first two story-branches will be moving on to other stuff as well), but will still be relevant to the overall story, and tie together at the end.

If you want, King Cobra, you and one other player could go onto this third branch. That's if you're not interested in the base two already presented.

Bahamut, have Jack bring up the mental link when we start Ch.1 and he'll accept. I don't remember why I didn't take it during the prologue, but James wouldn't be opposed to it. Also, since it looks like it's you and me for option 1 (excluding the npcs), did you want to talk strategy or tactics? Or what our characters' strengths and weaknesses might be so we can watch each other's backs?

Though looking at your character's writeup in Meet the Characters, it doesn't look like Jack is actually capable of being hurt, let alone dying.... ::cool

Anyway, let me know.

Tactics? Uhhh...I am not sure how well this would work, but I was thinking of just allocating my dots to max out sizemorph and *drown* everyone inside. But what did you have in mind? Im sure that you could convince Jill to drag him to a planning conference or two ;)

And you are right...Even Pax himself couldent punch this guy to death (well...unless the ST decided to put the smack down...). His real weakness is lethal energy attacks and even then they have to be pretty strong. And Mental/social attacks. Thats how he came to be in the teragen after all ;)

Well, until we know the specific format the attacks are going to take, it's going to be pretty difficult to decide on any specific strategies. I'm more interested in making sure that we work together in a way that puts our strengths to best effect (and downplays our weaknesses). Obviously, Jack doesn't have much to worry about as far as getting hurt, and really, neither does James. He's not as inhumanly tough as Jack, but he does average out at about 27 soak for both lethal and agg. Not as impressive as Jack to be sure, but it should be enough to see him through a few dozen angry Michaelites. So we're covered there.

On to the team work. Since Jack has shapeshifting there's not too much that he can't do, which is nice, but as I understand the power, he is limited to mostly physical effects/powers. James on the other hand has Q-bolt with the MIRV and Piercing extras. Both of us can fly. Both of us are, or can be, mega-strong (I have m.str 2, and you have shapeshift). Your character is *way* tougher. Mine is *slightly* faster, and has a ranged power that can take out up to 8 enemies at once. So looking at it, I'd say that we'd work best with Jack taking point and doing the "wetwork", while James can act as support and cover the flanks. Your sizemorph idea sounds good, but not if any of your teammates are standing next to you, which may or may not be a problem. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Also, BT when you read this, you could pipe in with what Flare and Jane are gonna do if ya wanna.

Flare's powers are purely defensive in combat...she has a very potent Forcefield. She'll not be in the front lines of battle hurting people, but she can still be a good distraction.

Jane won't be with your group in the beginning, since she'll be sent off with a different team.

You two will be sent to Austin, Texas, along with Geryon and a handful of other Terats. Your job will be to jump into the fight after Geryon initiates it to assist and help lay some smack-down on any novas. Your little group will be James Winston, William Turner, Flare, and Blackout (for Blackout, see Worldwide: Phase 1, Gabriel, character bios), but there will definetly be other Terats there. I'm posting info on it in the Chapter 1 Material thread soon, so check it out.

Archived