Aberrant RPG - Ultimate Speed?

Archer21

I knew I'd already did the numbers somewhere...

mega-dex 5, enh.movement, hypermove 5.

Just did some number crunching, the ubersprinter (M-dex5, enh.movement, Hyper 5) is hitting 2100m per action (turn, 3 seconds) in combat or 700m per second. 700 x 60 =42000 x60 = 2520000m/h or 2520Km/h supersonic in combat!!!

Ok...Multiply your meters/turn by 1.2, and that's your KPH

40 m/t x 1.2 = 48 KPH

for MPH, multiply m/t by .789

40 m/t x .789 = 31.5 MPH

The speed of sound at sea level is 340.29 meters/second, or 1020.87 meters/turn (1 Kilometer/turn)

I hope this helps ::biggrin

::archerrules

ps I edited this to include Ayre's info for referance only

MACH 13!!! ::blink

My God, they'd run right off the planet. ::smiley1

I've just got this image of someone doing that through the middle of a city with a trail of cars, and people, and rubble following them in the style of Matrix Reloaded.

The friction might not kill him, but a blenderised city applied to the back of your neck might leave a bit of a mark. ::wink

Remember hyperspeed Novas, always take a big step to the side when you stop suddenly.

The Enhanced Movement + Hypermovement thing isn't that bad if you go the sane route & limit the Enhanced Movement multiplication to only the combat velocity of Hypermovement - not the out-of-combat velocity (which is, after all, a stated flat rate, not a calculation). That's how it works in my game in any case.

So, hypermovement gives you 500KPH times the dots, Non-combat. That makes max hypermovement at 5 Dots 2500 kph, NC. In combat, ((10x33)+20)=350KPH

Enhanced Movement...Apply the Enhanced Movement multiplyer after determining the character's movement rate with Hypermovement.
And 5 dots in Mega-Dex gives Enhanced Movement a 6 times multiplyer, so 15,000KPH non combat (12.25 Mach) or 2100 KPH combat (1.71 Mach).

Unless, of course, you choose to make a 'House Ruling', which could make the non combat 2500 kph (2.04 Mach) if Enhance Movement didn't apply, only ::sarcasm ::rolleyes 400 KPH more than combat speed. Mabey making Enhanced Movement 1/2 effect on Non-combat, or 7,500 KPH (6.13 Mach) out of combat might work, too.

And don't forget, supersonic speed causes Mega-str. Thunderclap (p. 203 ACB), no matter if it's a combat or noncombat turn.

PS of course you've spent 1 nova to raise Dex to 5, 15 nova for a 5 Mega-dex, and 15 nova for 5 Dots Hypermovement, for a total of 31 novas just to run fast!

And don't forget, supersonic speed causes Mega-str. Thunderclap (p. 203 ACB), no matter if it's a combat or noncombat turn.

Actually the text about the 'Thunderclap' effect of Hypermovement is in the paragraph discussing the effects of 'out of combat' Hypermovement.

Also, the whole 'Thunderclap' issue is the original reason I looked again at the Enhanced Movement + Hypermovement equation & concluded that Enhanced Movement shouldn't apply to Hypermovement's out of combat speed. After all, a character with Mega-Dexterity 5 + Enhanced Movement & Hypermovement 5 would be moving fast enough to cause a Mega-Strength 30 Thunderclap effect - all along his movement path, for no more QP cost than it takes to activate the power & enhancement together! That's 30 Mega-Dice worth of Bashing damage to everything within 300 meters of the guy's movement path - not taking into account the vast amounts of knockback that such a huge raw dice-pool creates, & all the subsequent damage that results from those effects as well. IMHO the ability to knock down cities being easily available to starting-level characters is, frankly, total bollox. Hence the house ruling on that one in my games... ::wink

::biggrin Fair enough. Thankx Prof., I new you could clarify that for us... I just wish my Nova could out run a Jet Fighter, or even a Missle. Oh well..

Hey, how about 'Enhanced Movement doesn't affect Thunderclap' as a special effect. The field that lets him run so fast doesn't cause an extra disruption to it's surroundings. That would be a 5 Mega-str Thunderclap, but still could go Mach 12!

Actually in sprocket's Aberrant Compendium (or something as such).. there is a enhancement that lets you hypermove with no thunderclap effect... and actually I might work with half out of combat speeds.. i'm crossed between source material and the idea a hyperfast nova could launch himself into orbit accidently...

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked Flight/Hypermovement(Flight) Combo myself. No wasted effort trying to dodge obsticles like buildings, trees, hills, ditches, cars... You get the idea.

My Favorite Character(PowerStar) has Addicted Flaw (To Flight) as a real point of his personality; He coined the term "sky-dance(ing)" for Flying Nova at the Amp Room and later the Pheonix Room. Dancin' on th' Ceiling anyone? Even though The Enhanced Movement + Hypermovement(Running) is faster in numbers, remember that anyone who forgets to take obsticales into account at high speed needs to have high soak. ::wacko With this in mind, I'd rather have Flight+Hyper. It just works better for me. No need to keep track of every twist, turn dodging of traffic...(sigh) See my Sig for my feeling on flight. Still I recognize that Teleport/Transmit/Warp are much faster for non-combat movement across the planet. I do like the idea of Teleport as an ultra-speed movement with running as a special effect (Add Weaknesses and Strengths too). ::halo

• 1 month later...

Thank god Base Jump only had 3 Hypermovement in my game :).

A problem I found was that, with dice rolls and all factored in, he was actually able to blow up a tank by running into it at something apporaching Mach 2-3.

I let him get away with it one, but advised him against doing it again, unless he wanted Base Jump flapjacks.

• 2 months later...

I was reading through this and thinking that the above listed maximum speed could easily be increased by giving the nova sizemorph grow or just applying a bit of quickness or temporal acceleration.

I think sizemorph grow adds something like 2 dexterity per level for the purposes of calculating run/sprint speed and it's entirely plausible for a nova to have around 5 actions per turn through Temporal Manipulation (I didn't bother including Quickness as it gets expensive when used every turn, while temporal Manip. is maintained).

I think this works out to about 25,000km/h in combat (around 16,000mph).

(20 + ( 20 x 33 ) x 6 ) x 5 )

(effective dex) (3+5x6) (enh.mov) (actions/turn)

(5 + 5 + (5x2)) (Temp Manip)

Kept to 3 second turns, as stated in an earlier post.

Works out at 6800m/s.

From what I recall this is approximately the velocity required for a stable Earth orbit...........

• 1 year later...

Or unless they took it as an Extra...a sonic boom effect can be both a good and bad thing. How about an Extra where they can choose to use it, or not to use it? Sounds better. Kind of like Supercharge for Quantum Bolt...it's the only Extra I can think of where the player can choose to use it or not use it, because it has both negative and positive effects.

Or unless they took it as an Extra...a sonic boom effect can be both a good and bad thing. How about an Extra where they can choose to use it, or not to use it? Sounds better. Kind of like Supercharge for Quantum Bolt...it's the only Extra I can think of where the player can choose to use it or not use it, because it has both negative and positive effects.

and superheavy armor...

and Id like to go "on-record" again by saying that extras really should be able to be turned on and off...

Paying more should give you more versatility not less...

Archived