Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - Cognizant Chimera - The Early Years...

malkboy

Apparently not as liberally minded as many of the other guests, David seems visibly apalled by Warlock and his entourage as they walk into the dinner car, not to mention annoyed by their rude interruption.

After the group takes their seats and everything seems to calm down, he motions for the Aeon rep to continue.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shall we not just be civilized and listen to what the man has to say? If after all is said and done then, perhaps, you two can go to some isolated corn field in the middle of Nebraska and we can all sit back, enjoy the fight and the popcorn that it is bound to pop up. Hell, get some media coverage and we'll make a buck or two! But for the moment, can't we all at least pretend to just get along?

Gabriel looks back over at them upon hearing this, and laughs loudly and deeply before looking her straight in the eye and saying, "If you are who I think you are, Heather, then you have a lot more to answer for than just tossing some lava at a bunch of folks who could a least defend themseves from it. Arson, bank robbery...Shall I go on? I'm sure a certain Mr. Ethan Fox would be very interested as to your whereabouts, n'est pas? Still you're right. I'm more interested right now in hearing what this liason fellow here has to say than about certain peoples' inability to control their urges. Speaking of which..."

Heading further into the car Michael takes a seat, & draws Kat down to sit on his lap. At a slight gesture from the winged man Syn heads over to the buffet to collect a plate of food, then returns & kneels next to the couple (who are already making out again). Kat takes the plate of food on her lap, & she & Mike take a few bites from it, occassionally feeding their kneeling 'pet' by hand.

Glancing up Mike comments,

"Oh, don't let us interupt you..." 

"Oh, but you already have. If everyone's quite done now, I think our host wanted to say something."

Smiling brightly, Gabriel looks over at Aaron, puts his hands in his lap, and waits like a patient schoolboy for the teacher to speak.

At the entrance of the trio, both Eddie and Virginia appear slightly nonplussed by the blatant sexuality of all three, Virginia much more so, but they both decide to live and let live, while Eddie devours food and they continue to wait for Jenkins to get down to the brass tacks. However, they find it increasingly difficult as the Warlock and his entourage continue their activities, and at several points along the line Eddie looks vaguely like he's about to say something.

she gets up from her seat and saunters over to where Michael's holding court, as it were

*snicker*

Hey.

Michael takes Martha's outstretched hand & briefly kisses it,

"Hey yourself. You'll have to forgive me if I don't get up..." ::biggrin

The winged man playfully squeezes his girlfriend Kat as she sits on his lap.

Nice to me ya, Kat...and, uh, pet.

Mike smiles,

"Kat, Syn - if you hadn't already guessed, this lovely lady is Martha - the nice one I told you about."

Nodding to a nearby seat he adds,

"Please feel free to join us Martha." a mischevious glint enters his eye, "Or to join Syn there - your choice, of course..." ::devil

"Charmed".

The winged man looks over,

"Hey, Matt wasn't it? How are you? Girls - that's the guy who saved everyone from the lava - closest thing I've seen to a hero in these parts." ::wink

"Oh, but you already have. If everyone's quite done now, I think our host wanted to say something."

Looking over Mike nods,

"Right. What have we missed? I guess you must have covered the basics, like where the ride ends? How long this is all going to take? What exactly it is we're all letting ourselves in for? That sort of thing."

The winged man looks over, "Hey, Matt wasn't it? How are you? Girls - that's the guy who saved everyone from the lava - closest thing I've seen to a hero in these parts." ::wink
Matt smiles back ironically, "Hero? Been a long time since anyone's called me that. But thanks."

There is a static discharge and another Matt appears next to the current one. The "old" Matt continues to eat, but the "new" Matt walks over and sits down at a table close to the winged man and his entourage.

"So..." Matt nods to all three of them, "...did you all get together before or after the wings?"

Matt thinks, *In other words, do we all have this lifestyle to look forward to?*

"So..." Matt nods to all three of them, "...did you all get together before or after the wings?"

Mike looks suprised as Matt creates an 'other' of his own, but smiles at his question,

"Hah! Definitely before - it was thanks to these two that I changed at all. No... I was all sweet & innocent before Kat here corrupted me with her wicked ways, & unleashed my inner pervert." ::devil The winged man again takes the opportunity to exchange a passionate kiss with his girlfriend. "I guess you could say she helped me find my 'calling'. We played switch a bit - still do - & I ended up dropping out of uni' & starting up as a professional Dom'. A while back Kat brought Syn here home - we all got along, & she made a lifestyle commitment to the both of us." Mike lovingly strokes Syn's head as she kneels by his feet. "The 'net thing helps keep us in pocket, & pay Kat's uni' bills."

Glancing between the 'new' Matt & the 'old' Matt, Mike goes on to ask,

"So, we can all do that, right? I mean - you had that electrical flash & I get this green fire, but essentially it's the same thing, isn't it? But then why didn't anyone else get wings? I know you people can all fly, but there seems to be a load of stuff you can do which I can't too... Unless I'm missing something here." ::confused

Warlock looks thoughtful for a moment, then smiles,

"I guess that's what these guys are gonna' find out, right? So, anyway, what've you been up to these last couple of weeks? Saving pretty ladies & doing the 'superhero' thing if I'm any judge of character, right Matt?" ::wink

"So, we can all do that, right? I mean - you had that electrical flash & I get this green fire, but essentially it's the same thing, isn't it? But then why didn't anyone else get wings? I know you people can all fly, but there seems to be a load of stuff you can do which I can't too... Unless I'm missing something here."

As the conversation turns from Mike's sex life to other things, Eddie warms up to it, looking up from his food to correct him.

"No! I can't do the duplicate thing at all. Not the way you guys do, anyway. I guess I could make an illusion of myself, but it wouldn't be tangible or anything."

"Simply put, you joined us later than the rest. And you aren't the last to need to arrive before I explain in great detail what is planned. That way, I don't have to waste even more of your time," Aaron says before being interrupted.

The rest of the train sees Aaron just stare confusedly at Martha. (She however sees Aaron say, "Well it is a good song..")

Matt responds, “Our project is a train to nowhere? Or will we stop somewhere to do the tests?”

The Aeon representative starts to say something as Michael and his entourage come in. His calm face slowly gathering up color as his frustration breaks through to the surface.

Heading further into the car Michael takes a seat, & draws Kat down to sit on his lap. At a slight gesture from the winged man Syn heads over to the buffet to collect a plate of food, then returns & kneels next to the couple (who are already making out again). Kat takes the plate of food on her lap, & she & Mike take a few bites from it, occassionally feeding their kneeling 'pet' by hand.

Catching a few differing looks from the other people in the dining car, Michael and his newly formed "court" are given a few moments to settle in. Aaron's face quickly gathers it's calm again as he sits down, waiting for the childish behavior to stop.

"If you are who I think you are, Heather, then you have a lot more to answer for than just tossing some lava at a bunch of folks who could a least defend themseves from it. Arson, bank robbery...Shall I go on? I'm sure a certain Mr. Ethan Fox would be very interested as to your whereabouts, n'est pas? Still you're right. I'm more interested right now in hearing what this liason fellow here has to say than about certain peoples' inability to control their urges. Speaking of which..."

Xander, the average looking man with the redheaded bombshell, stands up from the seat he's in as Gabriel starts talking about Heather and walks over to the man covered in blue flames. Looking into Gabriel's eyes as he speaks, Xander's voice draws anyone nearby into listening as he speaks with its charismatic tones, "If you ever threaten my family or my wife again, I will be forced to persue an aggressive course of corrective action. I look forward to the day when the FBI finally links you to the terrorist-like activities againist my family."

With that Xander finds his seat next to his wife, the dining cart left silent for a few moments, in an uncomfortable heat (literally). As quick as the tension came, it disappears again, the temperature of the dining cart dropping back to normal.

Bill looks up from his food.

"Actually, I can't fly. Shame really."

Suddenly Aaron stands up, exclaiming, "Exactly what we intend to find out, that is what everyone can and cannot do with thier newfound abilities! Now that everyone has gotten here, let's get a start to this meeting. Assuming of course, that the bickering between certain parties is finished."

"Again, thank you all for your time and volunteering to take part in this research study. Let me get down to some more exact answers that people have been seeking for. We currently have swapped onto a set of private tracks and are heading to a Aeon facility known only as 'Nowhere'. Our current speeds being what they are, it will be less than an hour before the train is ready to disembark passengers. You could say, as I have been feeling the last ten minutes or so, that we are going 'Nowhere' fast."

"This facility was chosen not only for it's remote location, but due to the fact that it was slated for destruction in the next two weeks. With the exception of the barracks, what I hope that this group can do, is use the facility in a manner that will allow for a series of general and personalized tests of your newfound skills and thier limits, with minimal vital collateral damage. That way, not only do the scientists have a chance to understand the changes, but perhaps you will gain a greater control and finesse with your powers. Hopefully this will grant you all, as 'Dawg' put it, an opportunity to figure out a way to live without risking the lives of innocents."

"My job will be to provide you with your needs and oversee the activities that go on at 'Nowhere' as well as transporting back home anyone that wishes to go. 'Nowhere' is surrounded by a military no-fly zone for the time being, so for those of you that do fly, be sure to not to get lost in the air, I'd hate for someone to get shot down by the government."

Aaron smiles giving off every impression he's meant what he said before continuing, "Now any other questions that I can answer for you?"

Aaron smiles giving off every impression he's meant what he said before continuing, "Now any other questions that I can answer for you?"

"So what you're basically saying is you want us to demolish a building? And register exactly how we do it?"

Dog looks a little skeptical. ::dry

"That's it? I thought we'd had enough of that sh!t already..."

Aaron shakes his head, "That's not exactly what I meant. I'm not exactly the best person to tell you what scientifically they will be asking of you either. I do know they intend to assist each of you in whatever manner you need."

Cids ears pop up at the word "government".

"Ah, yes. Now that you mention the government... Do they have anything to do with this? I hope this is not some goverment contracted thing here to log our powers. I dont know much about the X-men...but I know that I dont want to have the goverment having my name, address, bank account number and limits of my powers when they hunt my ass down when the conservitave base decides we are too dangerous. I know I may just be paranoid...but I just have a feeling that I dont want to trust small minded people."

Michael takes Martha's outstretched hand & briefly kisses it,

"Hey yourself. You'll have to forgive me if I don't get up..."

Martha stiffens for a moment at the kiss, but then makes an effort to relax and gives Michael a crooked smile.

Mike smiles,

"Kat, Syn - if you hadn't already guessed, this lovely lady is Martha - the nice one I told you about."

Nodding to a nearby seat he adds,

"Please feel free to join us Martha." a mischevious glint enters his eye, "Or to join Syn there - your choice, of course..." 

Martha looks from the offered seat back to her place by David and Cid, then laughs self-conciously.

Just like high school all over again - which table do you sit at?

She puts her hands on her hips and sighs deeply.

Not to knock all a y'alls lifestyle, but the whole dom/sub thing's gonna take a little gettin' used to - forgive me for headin' back to my less confusin' seat.

She takes off her hat and bows deeply, ala Errol Flynn.

Ah bid you mah leave.

She then backs towards Cid and David, still bowed, making little scuffling steps.

Back in her seat, Martha watches the heated exchange between Gabriel and the new couple with some alarm, unsure of the facts but ready to leap between any combatants. After Aaron finishes describing their destination and basic goals, she holds her hand up.

How secure is this facility? Will we be able contact folks on the outside? And is the military in any way involved with this?

Not to knock all a y'alls lifestyle, but the whole dom/sub thing's gonna take a little gettin' used to - forgive me for headin' back to my less confusin' seat.

Mike & friends all smile, & the winged man says,

"No problem, you're already vastly more open minded & reasonable than certain others I could mention..." ::sly

Warlock casts his gaze around the room with mock seriousness & wags a finger at the general assembly,

",,, you know who you are!" ::tongue ::biggrin

Ah bid you mah leave.

Michael nods.

"... Assuming of course, that the bickering between certain parties is finished..."

"Now there's a choice of words designed to ease tensions if I ever heard one..." Mike comments with a loud whisper, "... was this guy a schoolteacher in another life?" ::rolleyes

"Ah, yes. Now that you mention the government... Do they have anything to do with this? I hope this is not some goverment contracted thing here to log our powers. I dont know much about the X-men...but I know that I dont want to have the goverment having my name, address, bank account number and limits of my powers when they hunt my ass down when the conservitave base decides we are too dangerous. I know I may just be paranoid...but I just have a feeling that I dont want to trust small minded people."

The winged man nods his agreement as he slips Kat off his lap & stands,

"I thought this Æon group was independent of the Feds?! Now you tell us that you don't even respect or trust us enough to tell us where we're heading, & threaten to have us murdered by the military if we step out of line or try to escape?! What a load of bull!" ::angry

Michael glances around his 'changed' peers, then adds,

"What makes you think any one of us couldn't find out this 'secret location' of yours, or that two or three of us couldn't take on the military & win? Sh!t, I know that bullets can't stop me, & I'm pretty sure that I'm far from being the toughest person in this room. I came here because I was under the impression that these Æon people were in the business of helping people, not to volunteer to be some government guinea pig!" ::angry

"I thought this Æon group was independent of the Feds?! Now you tell us that you don't even respect or trust us enough to tell us where we're heading, & threaten to have us murdered by the military if we step out of line or try to escape?! What a load of bull!"

Aaron looks to Michael just waiting patiently for the rest of the rant.

"What makes you think any one of us couldn't find out this 'secret location' of yours, or that two or three of us couldn't take on the military & win? Sh!t, I know that bullets can't stop me, & I'm pretty sure that I'm far from being the toughest person in this room. I came here because I was under the impression that these Æon people were in the business of helping people, not to volunteer to be some government guinea pig!"

"In fact what I am saying is that I'm not telling you exactly where we are going for the safety of everyone around you. As well as the lives of everyone else on this train. There is no threat on your life, simply a statement that you are surrounded by a No Fly Zone to absolve myself or Aeon of any responsibility should you decide to leave by flying out. I will be taking out of the facility anybody who wishes to leave, so it's not as though you will be trapped there. Finally, as for the goals of the Aeon Society, we are a private learning organization, not a government science lab. Plus for future reference, I was a teacher."

"Ah, yes. Now that you mention the government... Do they have anything to do with this?"

"No government involvement is involved in this project at all. In fact they were opposed to bringing you out to this facility in the first place, as certain portions of the nearby area have been deemed Top Secret. This is the very reason for the No Fly Zone surrounding the immediate area around 'Nowhere'," Aaron says without a pause.

How secure is this facility? Will we be able contact folks on the outside? And is the military in any way involved with this?

"Well, going along with the idea that you're around some Top Secret areas, it's fairly secure. There will be opportunity to contact people on the outside, in fact we encourage letting people know what you are doing. The Aeon Society has no secrets to keep, we just don't advertise every fact to every person."

(edit was for a rearrangement to make Michael NOT look like a raving loon.. no information changed)

"In fact what I am saying is that I'm not telling you exactly where we are going for the safety of everyone around you. As well as the lives of everyone else on this train. There is no threat on your life, simply a statement that you are surrounded by a No Fly Zone to absolve myself or Aeon of any responsibility should you decide to leave by flying out. I will be taking out of the facility anybody who wishes to leave, so it's not as though you will be trapped there. Finally, as for the goals of the Aeon Society, we are a private learning organization, not a government science lab. Plus for future reference, I was a teacher."

Eddie furrows his brow. "Wait, you talk about it being a No Fly Zone, but how could they enforce that for man-sized flyers? I don't know anything about radar, but could it pick up something that small?

"I mean.. you know, hypothetically, of course.." ::lookaround

"So what would happen if one of us did decide to fly out of here...and was fired on? Or a better question...what would happen in that case and we defended ourselves, taking out the squadren of million dollar military aircraft? Dont you think it might be in all our best interests if you convinced the military not to shoot us down? Just think of who would take the blame..."

He shakes his head...the situation not to his liking anymore.

"Just how many military men are there out there? Do they *know* the trouble they would cause if they were order to converge on us? I dont know about most other people...but I know a few people in this car that can wade through bullets and commit an atrocity that would cause a huge public backlash on our emerging lives. I am agreeing with Mr. Michael...any military involvement is not a good idea. And I will go on the record as saying that I will defend my brothers from any agressive action by any other entity based on who we are or where we are on american soil...at least till we can come to grips to whats happening here. Not a threat of a *cough* pre-emptive strike...but a defensive one."

He shrugs slightly.

" I really wish you would have told us about this before we left station. Not that it would have mattered to many people...myself included. But a heads up before we head into the maw of a potentially abusive situation would have been nice."

He sighs..."Well...I have talked enough...Im just really dissapointed in AEon already from this."

"Well...I have talked enough...Im just really dissapointed in AEon already from this."

Mike nods,

"Agreed. This guy talks about 'keeping no secrets' in the same breath as 'Top Secret' areas. Which is it? What right do the military have to establish a no-fly zone around a civilian facility, & what right do you have to drag us all along to a place surrounded by trigger-happy grunts 'for our own safety'? Man, I felt safer at the boxer's place when it was raining fire!"

He sighs..."Well...I have talked enough...Im just really dissapointed in AEon already from this."

David looks confused and stands up, "So, let me get this straight. You're upset because he is warning you of what the military might do if you fly over restriced airspace? I think I would call that a courtesy. He could have just left it out and let you find out what happens on your own. And as far as telling the military not to attack, the last time I looked the U.S. military still has a right to defend its airspace from those violating it, which you would be since you now know that it's restricted. And it seems that all you need to do to not be put in a 'potentially abusive situation' is to not fly where you're not supposed to. I don't know about you, but I wasn't forced to come here, I don't believe I'm being forced to stay on this train, and from the sounds of it we're not going to be forced to stay there either. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little bit and try and be a bit more amicable to one another."

After his little tirade, David looks around a little sheepishly, takes a seat and grabs a random finger food from his plate and starts nibbling.

Aaron takes a deep breath, feeling the dissent filling the room for just a few moments. Again giving people a few moments to voice thier concerns and support, he speaks in a cool collected voice, "There are no military "grunts" for miles around the facility. In fact, I can not ever recall seeing but three members of the armed forces at our facility. And that was when they came to tell me about the "No Fly Zone" that I am now imparting to you. I have no idea, if and how they intend to enforce it, but hopefully this is not an issue as ANYBODY can opt to leave by train at least once a day. As for convincing the military not to shoot at you, they are not supposed to use leathal force except when you've passed certain points that have fair amounts of warning. I don't believe anybody here is going to walk past a sign, "No Tresspassing by order of the U.S. Federal Government. Violators will be shot," and expect to be exempt. Nor do I expect if there is a conflict for EITHER party to start the agressive action as both groups have everything to lose and nothing to gain by fighting."

Waiting for Aaron to finish his speech, Eddie squeezes Virginia's hand under the table in affection and boredom, having pushed his plate aside during the (he feels) needlessly wordy bickering.

"I have a question. Why is the building slated for demolition? I mean, I don't know much about it, but I thought they only did that if they wanted to build something else in its place.."

Hearing all of this the Matt next to the winged man shrugs and says, "I don't think they could keep us. If they tried, hopefully someone would see it coming and warn the rest of us."

"As for taking us out into the middle of nowhere, how many of us accidently killed some people when our powers first... erupted out of us? How many of us could, and would, accidently hurt lots of people when finding out what we can do?"

"So far every day, heck, every couple of hours, I've figured out something new I can do. I'll bet lots of you can do lots of stuff you don't know about yet. How many of you want to go home to your families before you find out if you are radioactive? Or explosive? Or poisonous?"

"I can turn lead into gold. Can I turn oxygen into clorine? How about matter into energy? If yes, how much effort does it take and how much will I make? Do I need to worry about making it in my sleep from a bad dream? Do lots of you have to worry about killing people in your sleep by rolling over?"

{OOC: For someone in his twenties Matt sounds older.}

Eddie looks as though he feels Matt is being a bit of an alarmist, and his calming, beautiful voice is heard again.

"Don't you think you're exaggerating the possibilities a bit? I mean, yeah, it's possible that if we don't use the power for any extended number of waking hours it'll build up and make us explode, or some such, but take a look around. I don't think anyone so far has had anything happen to them that they'd be better off without. I mean, you know.."

His glance flickers briefly to Syn as he adds, "..super-powers-wise."

"No government involvement is involved in this project at all. In fact they were opposed to bringing you out to this facility in the first place, as certain portions of the nearby area have been deemed Top Secret. This is the very reason for the No Fly Zone surrounding the immediate area around 'Nowhere'," Aaron says without a pause.

When he hears this Cid rubs his temples. "Wait...Your saying that, out of all the deserted land there is in the Mid-west US you pick an area that is close to a top secret Military base to test our powers...which are potentially long range and could easily mis-fire into the base...and you expect there to be absolutley no misunderstandings between the US military (who will no dought be in a tense high alert status now) and a bunch of super-powered guys who havent mastered their powers...some of whom would need to practice flying extremely close to the no fly zone...Are you sure your a teacher?"

He looks a bit incredulous. "And whats more you sound like you expect us not to be worried about being watched and logged by the military. I know im not the smartest person here...but im not stupid. Why have we really been...offered this place?"

"Don't you think you're exaggerating the possibilities a bit? I mean, yeah, it's possible that if we don't use the power for any extended number of waking hours it'll build up and make us explode, or some such, but take a look around. I don't think anyone so far has had anything happen to them that they'd be better off without. I mean, you know...super-powers-wise."

Jimmy's voice finally break its silence. He sounds subdued. "No, Matt's right. There's a lot of things about ourselves we don't know yet, and I know for sure I don't have a grip on making mine work all the time. We got a lotta responsibilty to make sure we don't hurt people on accident, or lose control or something."

He mumbles something else towards the end, but the words still carry. "And we gotta realize people aren't always going to think we're heroes..."

If you ever threaten my family or my wife again, I will be forced to persue an aggressive course of corrective action. I look forward to the day when the FBI finally links you to the terrorist-like activities againist my family."

Gabrel returns his gaze coolly, then spits on the floor in disgust as Xander walks away.

---

He mumbles something else towards the end, but the words still carry. "And we gotta realize people aren't always going to think we're heroes..."

Gabriel listens to the conversation attentively, even as his eyes dart about the room. Occasionally he looks as if he's about to say something, but the doesn't. Finally though, he speaks, his deep voice rumbling, "This whole thing is getting beyond the bounds of the weird and stepping a bit deeply into the realm of the spooky. The more I hear about this Aeon Society thing, the more it creeps me out. From what Martha says, they've been investigating unusual cases, like what we would all be if we were all isolated incidents spread out in time, since the 20s! Don't you people see what that means? I'd be willing to bet everything I own that they know a lot more than they're saying, possibly even the nature of our origins and the source of our powers, yet they offer us very little information about anything and expect us to let them learn all about us for nothing more than room, board, and maybe a few tips on how to control our powers. At a secure facility out in the middle of the desert most likely, and surrounded on all sides by top secret military bases and no-fly zones, no less. Way to earn my trust guys. I don't know 'bout the rest of you people, but unless these Aeon folks start being a lot more forthcoming and a lot less creepy, I'm flying outta there as soon as train stops. I'd imagine the military will have trouble enforcing their no-fly zone outside the atmosphere. "

Grinning, Gabriel relaxes in his chair, his eyes still ddarting about the room, ever alert for signs of trouble.

Eddie looks as though he feels Matt is being a bit of an alarmist, and his calming, beautiful voice is heard again.

"Don't you think you're exaggerating the possibilities a bit? I mean, yeah, it's possible that if we don't use the power for any extended number of waking hours it'll build up and make us explode, or some such, but take a look around. I don't think anyone so far has had anything happen to them that they'd be better off without. I mean, you know.."

Visibly calmed by Eddie's voice, Matt says "They aren't possibilities when they've already happened. Just because you haven't killed anyone yet accidently doesn't mean the rest of us haven't."

"And as for bad things happenning to us? Since none of us have hurt ourselves, you figure it can't happen? I mean, if one of us had killed or maimed himself with his powers he wouldn't be here."

"But maybe you are right and we can't hurt ourselves. We could test that, you and I. Grab my hand and I'll try to teleport both of us into a wall.

From his tone Matt is only half serious about this last bit.

Finally, Bill just can't contain himself any longer.

He bursts out laughing, in a deep booming guffaw......

"whew, boy...... Y'all watch WAYYYYYY too much TV, 'specially that X-Files crapola.

"First off, if the base was Top Secret, Aaron here wouldn't have been told squat about it. Because it's top secret. It's only 'cause they have this here train of people comin' that he got told about it. For our safety."

Bill turns to Aaron.

"I'd like to apologise for this bunch of ungrateful so-and-sos, but it's not my place. So instead, I'll thank you for this opportunity. And the meal."

Bill grins a great big grin. ::biggrin

"First off, if the base was Top Secret, Aaron here wouldn't have been told squat about it. Because it's top secret. It's only 'cause they have this here train of people comin' that he got told about it. For our safety."

"What he said."

"C'mon, people! Lighten up! I mean, look at yourselves... What the hell are y'all scared of, huh? I mean, I had my share of trouble with the cops but that don't mean I have to turn in to some paranoid redneck survivalist conspiracy nutcase."

"You're worried? I betcha anything that the CO over at this military base, he's shitting bricks right now. There's no way for him to know what the hell we're up to, and he knows that. Hell, for all he knows each and every one of us could have beaten the crap out of anything he has to throw at us on our own. You think he's really gonna mess with someone like that? I know I wouldn't. To him and any other paranoid person following the news on this meeting, we're an accident waiting to happen, and right now you're all acting like one too."

"And before you start worrying about loose cannons and rash decisions... I promise you, if there was a button waiting to be pushed on us - and that's a huge f*cking if - it's the president's finger on it, and he ain't gonna do nothing. He's got public opinion to worry about, and they love us. He ain't gonna throw that away cause it ain't right and it's f*cking stupid. You think the president and the joint chiefs wants to be the enemy of all novas around the world?"

"I don't f*cking think so."

Michael nods in agreement to both Cid & Gabriel as they say their parts. After hearing whar Matt has to say he places a hand on the shoulder of the Matt next to him & says quietly, with a look of genuine concern in his eyes,

"Man, I'm sorry, I didn't know... I didn't even realise any of us had problems like that. I mean, with me it's all pretty obvious," his wings shift slightly, "or at least it seemed pretty natural. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing about me that I can't control, or that's dangerous to others..."

Looking more thoughtful & concerned than before, the winged man turns back to the Æon rep',

"Look, it's obvious that you have the diplomatic skills of a dead newt - I guess that mine aren't much better right now. You group's choice of location to do this thing sucks on a vast scale, & it's pretty obvious that several people here - myself included - consider the involvment, however minor, of the government or military as something of a betrayal of our trust. This whole cloak & dagger routine doesn't help anyone. How about you dig deep, try to remember that we're all adults here & not schoolkids, & give us some straight answers. Can Æon help us? Do they know anything new? What exactly is their agenda? Or, to put it another way, what can you tell us to convince us that we're better off talking to you people than we are just stopping this train & discussing things amongst ourselves?"

"They aren't possibilities when they've already happened. Just because you haven't killed anyone yet accidently doesn't mean the rest of us haven't."

"Oh.." ::confused

"Man, I'm sorry, I didn't know... I didn't even realise any of us had problems like that. I mean, with me it's all pretty obvious," his wings shift slightly, "or at least it seemed pretty natural. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing about me that I can't control, or that's dangerous to others..."

Eddie nods.

"Yeah. I don't think I've got any powers I can't control yet, but if you've had accidents in the past, maybe it's too early to tell. Who knows, maybe what we have now is just the beginning.."

"And before you start worrying about loose cannons and rash decisions... I promise you, if there was a button waiting to be pushed on us - and that's a huge f*cking if - it's the president's finger on it, and he ain't gonna do nothing. He's got public opinion to worry about, and they love us. He ain't gonna throw that away cause it ain't right and it's f*cking stupid. You think the president and the joint chiefs wants to be the enemy of all novas around the world?"

"I don't f*cking think so."

Eddie does not seem approving during Dog's speech, and as he concludes it, Eddie says with mild sarcasm,

"Yeah, I trust the government a whole bunch too."

"Look, it's obvious that you have the diplomatic skills of a dead newt - I guess that mine aren't much better right now. You group's choice of location to do this thing sucks on a vast scale, & it's pretty obvious that several people here - myself included - consider the involvment, however minor, of the government or military as something of a betrayal of our trust. This whole cloak & dagger routine doesn't help anyone. How about you dig deep, try to remember that we're all adults here & not schoolkids, & give us some straight answers. Can Æon help us? Do they know anything new? What exactly is their agenda? Or, to put it another way, what can you tell us to convince us that we're better off talking to you people than we are just stopping this train & discussing things amongst ourselves?"

Eddie looks a bit uncomfortable with Mike's bluntness, but in agreement, and he nods as he asks his concluding questions and looks to Aaron for an answer. (And an answer to his own question about the building, the timeline to this conversation's a little screwed up.)

Martha's been sitting near Cid and David with her head in her hand, watching and listening to all that's being said; her expression somewhere between a grimace and a pained smile. At length, she chimes in.

I guess part o' the curse of being a middle child is seein' both sides of every arguement. I'm all for the isolation, in terms of public safety, since a gal with my strength could easily kill a lot of innocent folk if I did somethin' stupid, and God knows I done that plenty of times.

She pauses and rubs her temple a bit.

That bein' said, I ain't too crazy 'bout the military prescence in the area, even if it ain't a military run facility. There's nothin' you can say that would convince me that they ain't gonna monitor us - but the fact of the matter is, I figure they're gonna monitor us wherever we go. I bet we all got files at the NSA and FBI already, with pie charts and projections, and all the news footage from LA and anywhere else we showed up, like my spots on Leno and Conan O' Brian. They're gonna watch us 'til the day we die - least this way we know their watching us.

She picks up her beer, takes a deep swig, then shrugs.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's how I see it.

"Yeah, I trust the government a whole bunch too."

::rolleyes

"I'll make that clearer for the ones at the back of the class, should I? Trust ain't got nothin' to do with it. I trust the government to do the best thing for their own survival. Nothing more. That's what politicians do."

"And I don't know about you, but I got a few million people who know I'm here, so I ain't exactly worried. Hell, there's gonna be riots all over the country if they mess with us, and I can guarantee you they don't want that."

"Why Michael, perhaps you're still humane after all..if not totally human. - Lance gets up and walks towards Michael, hand extended - Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot..or hoof, or whatever. I did what I did to save people. - Looking to the others - You'll be happy to learn that all robbers gave detailed confessions in the presence of their lawyers and will be indicted appropriately." ::devilangel

"And I don't know about you, but I got a few million people who know I'm here, so I ain't exactly worried. Hell, there's gonna be riots all over the country if they mess with us, and I can guarantee you they don't want that."

Lance nods with a bug-eyed grin

"The military can nuke us for all I care. If they do, the President's mine!"

Lance clenches his fist in front of his face for emphasis.

"The military can nuke us for all I care. If they do, the President's mine!"

Bill raises an eyebrow.

"Y'know, I'd REALLY prefer if they didn't.

"Now if we're all finished waving our unmentionables around, perhaps we'd like to get back to listening to Aaron......"

Archived