Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - Cognizant Chimera - The Early Years...

malkboy

(This is just a little teaser.. I'll add more as people get thier characters completed)

“It has been reported to us that the space station Galatea has exploded…”

“Reports from around the world are detailing a world wide catastrophe…”

“A man was seen absorbing the fire threatening a busload of children in New York. “

“The US has officially declared DefCon 3, until the nature of these threats are known.”

“Promoters swear that incident involving transformations in ring is no gimmick”

“Police found signs of a mass suicide in California when checking on a tip.”

“…disappeared. Another local boy is being questioned about possible connections to the case and a string of assaults....”

“The 4.0 earthquake in Denver has plunged the city into shock…”

“These last 24 hours have left the world in a battered state. Is this the biblical end of times, or is there something more, something greater going on? What is happening to these people, that they are suddenly displaying abilities that we humans have only dreamed of? The questions are too numerous to list and the answers are in numbers that can be counted on a hand. All we know about what’s going on is that, it is going on….”

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PART I

A lake somewhere in Oregon:

With a mighty splash, Jimmy Sinclair burst out of the water, gasping for air. Stroking his arms in an attempt to stay afloat, he realized something wasn't quite right...it was as if there was no resistance from the water. Shaking his head to clear the water from his face, he opened his eyes. To his surprise, he was staring eyeball to eyeball with a large gray squirrel. The squirrel didn't seem to notice, going about its everyday business of scampering around its tree. Jimmy could actually clearly hear the small scritchscritch noises of the squirrel's claws against the treebark. Utterly confused, Jimmy turned his attention away from the squirrel and looked down at the water. Which was 27 feet below him. "AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!" Screaming, the lonely computer programmer tried desperately to stop floating. It didn't work.

A few minutes of some more screaming and hyperventilation, and Jimmy was finally beginning to accept the fact that he was stuck, floating, in mid-air. He was also incredibly hungry, more hungry than he'd ever been before. What felt like the mother of all headaches was starting to build in pressure behind his eyes. Not knowing really what else to do, but figuring he had to do something, he pulled one arm into his chest, and stuck the other forward in a Superman-style pose. He moved forward. Grinning, he concentrated, and moved a little faster. Then a little faster, then more. *This is cool!*, he thought to himself, just before he slammed into the squirrel's tree.

On the campus of a small private University in Southern California:

Standing on the roof of his dorm, Gabriel thought about the crazy things going on in the world. Shruging to himself silently, he went through a ritual he had repeated many times in the past. Focusing inwardly, he felt the energy building up in him just as it always had. Yet this time it kept building and building, not stopping as it always had in the past. Trying not to get overly excited, he concentrated on remembering his dreams of flying, and on pulling energy from both the realms of fire and of ice. Finally, when the energy had built to an almost unbearable peak, he jumped straight up in the air, and in that instant everything changed.

Flying straight up, his perceptions exploded, like he was seeing the world for the very first time. Cold blue flames burst from his body, surrounding him in a protective sheath, and flew from his hands as the energies within him released themselves uncontrolably, eating holes in everything they touched on the ground on both sides of the dormatory building, yet leaving no other trace of their impact. Howling like a madman, a huge grin of pure joy on his face, he shot straight up into the sky, a quickly fading trail of blue flame marking his trajectory...

((Edited for spelling and syntax.))

(clicking noise)

"... is put into a deep coma after suffering severe burns in the progress of a magic act..."

"... tour guide is fired after man falls off cliff during a company trip."

"... locusts swarmed through Egypt, bringing wonder again to is this the end?"

"... created a hole in a dormatory after suddenly leaping into the air and flying away..."

"The assault by Mother Nature has slowed today, but exactly what happened yesterday is not known. What is known is that shortly after the Galatea explosion, random people started changing. Mostly of them in dangerous situations or moments of stress, taking on talents that could only be found before in the pages of a comic book. A good example of this was Randall Portman, the Fireman who absorbed a fire from a burning schoolbus full of kids. But how did this ability come into existance? Scientists postulate that radiation exposure from the explosion might have something to do with it, but more time will be needed for research into that. In the meantime, we are left to wonder, who is next for to be changed. And for those who have already somehow changed, the only question is... Why?"

(if you care to post about your eruption feel free... There is an actual event going to happen when someone gets here)

Touchdown!

The team grabs Lance and parades around the field. Many beers later they all go to the observatory to give a bit of a fright to the cripple. Lance isn't too sure about it but he follows none the less. The team grabs the kid to give him a peak of the street below over the edge of the building. Lance asks them to stop, they ignore him.

"C'mon guys...give 'im a break."

""S'all in good fun! Ain't it boy?"

"Yeah, heheh, not 'fraid o' heights are you?"

"Let me go! Stop it!"

"Look guys...NOOO!"

He slips over the edge, Lance powerless to stop it. A car screeches to halt as another slams into a building.

"I told you guys to fvcking stop! Why didn't you fvcken listen?!"

"Jesus, we didn't know...we...oh god..." The team looks aghast over the edge as Lance runs below. A crowd is gathered around one of the wrecked cars, he doesn't have the courage to get a look before heading home.

The next day...

Lance wakes up dressed in his bed. He checks his email to see if anyone knows if the kid's alright. Suddenly, he realises he feels different, alien in his own body. He looks himself over and laughs. Checking his billboard he sees Get car. Fumbling through his pants a receipt reminds him that he left the car for repairs at the garage. He walks through the city feeling happy simply to be breathing before stumbling to the ground, holding his head. For a minute he looks up, confused, unaware as to his whereabouts. He looks ahead and suddenly all is fine again. He arrives at the garage and asks for his car.

"Yeah, that'll be 800 dollars."

"800 hundred, that's a liittle steep!"

The garageman squints, confused, and replies

"Y'know, you're right, I'm sorry...uh...does 500 seem right to you?

"I think two should be enough..."

"But that's less than cost!"

"I didn't ask for a courteousy vehicle, that deserves compensation doesn't it?"

"I guess we did save a bit on that but..."

"So its settled then? Here you are."

"Thank you sir, here're your keys. Sign here."

Lance smiles

"Thanks"

Life was going to be easy from now on...

Cid smiles at the waitress as she puts the reciept on the table. He wipes his mouth with a dry napkin and sighs in relief after that large meal. He tosses the napkin on the top of the almost empty plate (some rib bones still remain). He picks up the reciept and looks it over.

"Hmmm...good price..." he says to himself as he takes some cash out of his pocket, and hands to the waitress as she passes again to get to another table. "Here you are, Keep the change."

She looks at the bill then back at him. " You sure...thats an aweful big tip..."

He nods...almost benevolently. "Yea. Get yourself something nice for christmas. Thanks for the large meal."

She smiles largley, enough to have to close her eyes. "No problem. Come back whenever you want, and Ill make sure you get an extra coke on the house, ok Hun?"

Cid smiles and nods, then opens the door and gets into an old purple jeep. Its reluctant to start but after a few cranks, comes to life. He backs out and starts on the road again...

The crowd roars as one of the two men in the ring goes down. Cameras flash their small starbursts between the glare of the floodlights, and the entire arena is alive with adrenaline.

The other heavyweight boxer walks around and rolls his shoulders, as the referee rushes over to the fallen man, starting the countout.

"One!... Two!..."

"...and Finnegan is down!! Looks like this could be an easy win for the Dog after all, Jimmy."

"Three!... Four!... Five!..."

"I don't know about that, Frank. Diamond Dawg Jones is definitely looking good, but I don't think we should write off Finnegan just yet."

Finnegan lies still the first seconds, then starts to push himself up. Sweat streams off him and his muscles tremble, one eye is alomst closed and clotted with blood from a cut on the temple. ::wacko

"Six!... Seven!..."

The crowd is split in half, one side yelling for the fighter to get up, the other cheering the probable winner. The black man known as Diamond Dog raises his hand and waves to his fans, never taking his eyes off his opponent. ::cool

On millions of TV-sets the picture zooms in to show Finnegan push himself harder, willing his muscles to work. ::angry

"Eight!... Nine!...."

"Looks like he's done for, Jimmy... I... Holy crap!!!" ::blink

With a roar to rival that of the crowd, Finnegan pushes himself up and charges his opponent in one fluid, almost undescribable motion. Faster than the cameras can follow him he's in reach of the black man, who lashes out with a sledgehammer blow aimed for Finnegan's head. Sidestepping it in the last moment with an ease and grace never before seen in the ring, he counters with a punch to the stomach that doubles Diamond Dog over and sends him flying onto the ropes on the other side of the ring!

As he's bounced forward by the ropes the adrenaline-driven Finnegan is upon him again, hitting him with a series of blows as he falls.

"Will you look at that speed! This is incredible, I've never seen anything like it in my entire life!!"

"Diamond Dawg had the match won, but Finnegan came back! And what a comeback! He lifted the Dawg off his feet and sent him flying across the ring!!"

The stunned referee seems unable to react to the slaughter going on, but the ringing of the bell snaps Finnegan out of it as the round ends.

Diamond Dawg drags himself up and is helped back to his corner. His bruised and bloody face and body is attended to by his assistants and the attendant doctor is called over.

"Well, Frank. The Dawg seems to be done for. Saved by the bell from Finnegan's furious new burst of energy, but can he last the next round?"

"It's hard to say. There seems to be something going on over in the Dog's corner. The doctor is calling the referee over and they're having some kind of discussion. The doctor looks very agitated. Could the Dog be too seriously injured to continue? No, it looks like... yes. The referee calls them both out for the new round."

"And would you look at the Dawg now, Frank? He's looking as fresh as when he first stepped into the ring!! Wasn't he covered in blood just half a minute ago?"

As the camera zooms in on the fighters the black man looks mysteriously refreshed. His face shows only determination as their gloves meet and they both step back and begin the dance again. Finnegan doesn't waste a second. Feinting a blow to Diamond Dog's face he tricks him into raising his guard, and the real attack hammers into the black man's abdomen. ::crazy

Diamond Dog doesn't even budge. Taking a step back he glances down on his stomach as Finnegan follows up with several more hits to his stomach and sides.

The crowd goes absolutely silent as the black man never flinches from the attacks, and all eyes are glued to the big screen above the ring. The cameras zoom in on the black man's chest where his skin is rapidly turning to glittering, unbreakable diamond...

"..."

"My God...." ::blink

PART II

"owwwwwww...." Groggily, Jimmy wakes up in darkness, holding his head. Slowly, he sits up and looks around. He's still in the forest, next to the lake he was floating above earlier. The scent of earth and the woods around him fill his nostrils, a myriad of aromas dancing through the air to him. He feels refreshed, alive in a way he's never felt before. Even his earlier headache seems to be fading, or at least, he doesn't seem to notice the pain as much.

He stands up. "Huh. Musta been a dream." Stretching, his gaze travels up the tree in front of him...he freezes, eyes locked onto the huge dent in the trunk and the jagged stubs of branches snapped off. His head whips down, and for the first time notices the pine tree's broken limbs surrounding the area he was just lying.

Taking a step back, he holds up his hands as if to ward off what's happening, and again sees something bizarre. Claws. Tapered, sharp, and very inhuman claws, one sprouting from each fingertip. He wiggled his toes inside his new hiking boots, and cringed. Claws there too. "What the hell is going on? Did someone slip something into my Tang? Manohmanohman...! Okay, calm down, Jim. Settle down. There's a perfectly good explanation for this. A prank or something...like that stupid tv show Scare Tactics. Yeah, something like that. Alright, alright. I'll just make my way back to camp and everything will be fine. No problem."

He looks around. The forest is quiet, eerily so. And pitch black. Living in the city, there was always light of some kind, street lights, neon signs. Out here, the moon was the only source of illumination, and the thickly clouded sky prevented any moonlight from filtering through the trees. Starting to panic again, Jimmy quickly patted his pockets, looking for the flashlight he just bought yesterday, but couldn't find it. "Yeah, sure. Course the damn producers wouldn't give me a flashlight. Better ratings if I'm stumbling around. Assholes. Wish I had some light."

As if granted by a djinn, a soft white light appeared out of nowhere, surrounding Jimmy. Shielding his eyes against the glow, his vision quickly adapted, and he perceived the light wasn't from nowhere. It was from him. And with that realization, Jimmy's headache returned, like needles in his brain! Screaming with the pain, Jimmy ran blindly into the forest, tears streaking down his face. Somewhere in the back of his mind, the terrified Jimmy fervently prayed that this was only a dream, and he'd wake up soon, grab a granola bar and a Mountain Dew from the fridge and then hop in the shower before heading to his crappy job.

"Good evening. This is CNN world news, April 6th. You've just seen a recording from March 23, when a title match got an unexpected ending. Approximately two weeks ago, boxers Diamond Dog Jones and Peter Finnegan experienced the strange phenomenon dubbed the eruption of a homo sapiens novus. Scientists are baffled by this seemingly next step of evolution, as all over the world men, women and children display extraordinary powers and abilities earlier only known in fiction."

"Boxer, wrestler and celebrity Diamond Dog has been unavailable for comment since the incident, but today called a press conference in response to the many questions directed to him."

"Unfortunately, he has little news to tell, and no answers to the millions of questions that abound. However, the conclusion to the press conference is worth noticing."

The screen image changes to show the familiar face of Diamond Dog Jones behind a multitude of microphones, dressed in a purple silk suit and smiling in the face of photographic flashes.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry I can't give you better answers. I still have a lot of questions myself, and I can only hope that our scientists will figure it all out in time. All I know is that I feel better than ever." ::wink

"Now it's time you do for me, boys and girls."

Looking directly into the camera, his deep voice rumbles on.

"I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I know there are plenty of people out there who are just now trying to figure out what the hell has happened to them, and I thought 'Hey! Y'all are like me, you know? Why don't we all get together and talk about it?'"

"The coming saturday I want all of you to come to my place here in LA. And I mean all of you novas, or whatever the hell it is it's called. If you live far away and ain't got the dough to get here, I'll cover it. Y'all know I'm good for it. Just check out my website for the details."

"But don't get any ideas, aight? Anyone who wanna take advantage of this offer and can't prove themselves in the door will have to answer to the Dawg, and he meaner than ever!" ::wink

The image fades back to the newsroom as the reporters launch even further questions for the fighter.

While watching the re-broadcast from a chair later the night of the 6th, Gabriel occasionally glances over at one, then the other bed in the dorm room he sits in. Laying on each bed is a beautiful college coed. Roommates in fact, as this is their dorm room.

*Two weeks ago neither of these chicks would've given me the time of day. Now all it takes is a smile and a wink and viola, instant poon-tang.*

Quietly, he takes a rose and lays it by the head of each of the passed-out girls, turns off the TV, and leaves the room by way of the open window, flying out into the night sky. As he flys, he thinks back to the night of his 'eruption,' and savors the memory of seeing the Earth from orbit for the first time, and realizing he was still alive despite all the rational arguments against it. Thinking that he needs time and a quiet place to think about Diamond Dog's offer, he heads there once again.

For a while he just sits there, allowing himself to float in the silence and darkness of nightside Earth, meditating almost. Finally he starts to allow the memories to come. Everything that has happened since that fateful night washes over him in that more than perfect detail his new perceptions have afforded him. When he's finished, he realizes the time has come to make his decision about Diamond Dog's offer.

*Well, I suppose the worst that could happen is that it could be some sort of governmental trap. When I concentrate, it seems like I can see the base structure of whatever I look at, down past even the atmoic level, into the world of the subatomic and quanta, and it does seem like I'm different from all the 'normal' people I've met on that level. I could probably learn a lot just by showing up and looking at the other guests, and I suppose that I could probably get away if it turns out to be a trap of some sort, which seems unlikely anyhow. Alright, I'll do it.*

Turning his attention back to more primal matters, he glances at his watch. Realizing it's still realatively early, he flies back towards the Earth and his school, and turns his thoughts to what he's going to try out with the next girl he meets... ::wink ::blush

The funeral wouldn't have been much had it not been for the eulogy. Other than a few teachers, the boy's mother and a sympathetic cop, no one showed up. The rest of the team were either arrested or hospitalized and the cripple had no friends. But Lance took it upon himself to attend the funeral. As he spoke Marie was waiting for him at the back of the church. She'd told him several times this week that he wakes up at night, screaming at her to make it stop. She was afraid, she said. It never took much to convince her to stay though. Its the headaches he said. Watch the news, others are going through it. Right now Marie was crying for a boy she didn't know, his words pulling tears out of the very stones. Everyone thanked him profusely when he stepped down and the casket rolled away. As Marie jumped into his arms and kissed him he told her that he'd have to go to LA. Maybe they could help him figure out what was happening...

Cid starts driving again. Another stop...another place that dosent look familiar. Another place that dosen't remember him either.

*I wonder how my saviors are doing? I better not bother them it is...*

He looks at his watch, it glows a dim 11:43 PM at him.

*Too late to call...I think that they are a few time zones away. Damn...Mabey I'll find a church tomorrow that I can check. I always feel at home at them...*

He keeps going. There *must* be something...

Leather, rubber, & brightly chromed metal are picked out by the light of a hundred candles; & within - undulating bare flesh, both pale & dark. A whip-crack, a moan - pleasure & pain mingled into one potant cocktail. Elsewhere others sit glued to their televisions watching the latest NASA disaster, but in this studio apartment all focus is on the erotic power of the moment...

... Pain suddenly flares - behind the eyes, within the back, from the hand. It's agony & ecstasy all rolled into one, & nothing will ever be the same again. Moments pass, & the high fades...

... Michael opens his eyes - & sees a daemonic vision - an imposing, well-muscled, man with solid luminous-green eyes, majestic bat-like wings on his back, & a whip of green-black fire in his hand. But... there's something familiar about the figure - the shoulder-length black hair, the tattoos, the piercings... With a start, realisation dawns - it's him... & it's not a mirror...

... A half hour later, & all four of them sit amongst the fetish-ware, trying to figure things out. Kat has thrown a dressing-gown over her leather-clad black body, whilst pretty blonde Syn is still semi-dressed, fixing drinks for all four of them. Four... Mike flexes his wings - his wings! - & stares over at - well, himself. There's a panic in him that's just below the surface - but he's keeping it together. After all - whatever has happened to him (or is it 'them'), it feels good. Even the pain in his head is kinda' nice... He begins to wonder how they'll take it all down the club...

Days pass...

Michael is a hit at the club - all the clubs in the local 'scene'. That's perhaps more of a relief even than the news that there are others like him - well, not exactly like him, & not, of course, counting his 'others' - but people who have been changed. The hits on the 'Warlock's Dungeon' site are at an all-time record high, & a couple of the fetish mag's have had him on their covers already. Kat & Syn seem to like the changes as well, but still... There are others...

The television flickers in the corner, the boxer is speaking...

"The coming saturday I want all of you to come to my place here in LA. And I mean all of you novas, or whatever the hell it is it's called. If you live far away and ain't got the dough to get here, I'll cover it. Y'all know I'm good for it. Just check out my website for the details."

A smile flickers over Mike's lips - maybe he could go on network TV & ask people to check his website? Probably not a good idea... This boxer though - what could it hurt? Maybe he'll have some answers - or one of the others who turn up. In any case, it's local - & he's just about getting the hang of the wings...

New York, UN Headquarter, 11:07 pm flap-flap-flap The noise of the helicopter increased slowly while it sank to himself the landing field of the UN headquarters. The dark landing field was illuminated only of few lights. Several heavily armed soldiers stood in full battle equipment around the place around and observed the landing.

Finally the helicopter mounted and its doors opened itself. Two also heavily armed soldiers burst out, stepped to the side and arranged then their weapons on the door of the Helikopter.

There a further shape got out now. The shape carried some jeans and a parka. The boots were tied up with a chain to each other. The hands stuck in black gloves and were tied up on the back with handcuff. The head stuck in a blind motorcycle helmet.

The prisoner made a couple of little steps and remained stand then again. Behind him, yet two soldiers got out and arranged their weapons on him.

A man in an expensive suit stepped slowly on the soldiers and the prisoner to. The wind that the helicopter caused tugged at his suit and at his short hairs. He gaved the soldier a sign, whereupon two of them began to decrease the tying up to the prisoner. At the end, a soldier pulled the helmet of the prisoner’s head.

Andric Korvac squinted. The light of the few floodlight blinded him. Then he heard speak a cultivated voice to him: „Welcome to New York, Mr. Korvac. Welcome to the UN. Welcome to your freedom.“

Boston, 3:27 PM EST:

A street magician smiles (the smile is only condescending on the inside) and with a practiced snap of the wrist, his carefully scrutinized deck of cards becomes a fan as the volunteer quickly memorizes the king of hearts, "known only to him". Edward Chambers steps back for the next move - a simple one, but fun: another snap of the hand, and the cards fill the air in what looks like a mathematical expression of chaos. Only the attentive audience members have yet noticed that the cards are all matching red kings..

Suddenly, a car that had been swerving slightly through the street behind him accelerates drastically, heading straight for the tuxedo-clad magician! No time to dodge! Alarm surges, frying Eddie's brain, but his "stage-face" shows only intense displeasure, and with a gesture of the arm, complete with raised index finger, the cloud of cards is replaced with gray, mysterious smoke just as the car plows into it! Eddie is sent flying backwards, flipping head over heels - and lands in the air, perfectly composed, inwardly gaping at the world around him - privately more impressed with his new, improved "stage face" than with the fact that he's standing on air.

He looks around. The car seems to have come at an angle, missing his audience completely to only hit him. The growing audience is now staring at him, and what looks like fire but feels like nothing at all ignites from nothing and laps at his hands and body! He gives the "audience" a cool smile, then concentrates on the sky. Suddenly, he's catapulting through the air - he has a feeling that his exit was slightly less dramatic than the new him might hope for, but oh well.

He's flying!

What is this? What happened? I should be dead, must be dead. This can't be hell, and I don't think it's hell.

Guess I'm just in passing.

Shrugging, he decides where to go and realizes he's already heading there, and at a cracking pace, too. His girlfriend's apartment - the apartment of Virginia Walker ( ::hehe ). In a few seconds, he's there. He opens the window without too much effort, and comes in. He sits down on the bed, and sits for a moment before she comes in and starts.

"Oh Jesus!" She pants for a second, then turns on Eddie.

"Sorry - how the hell did you get in? What are you doing here?"

Eddie looks up to her. "Virginia - I've got something to show you..."

He's not sure what he was planning - perhaps something with the fire again - but whatever it was, it was almost certainly not an incredibly realistic image of her, naked as the day she was born. Eddie greets the image (and Virginia's subsequent startled scream) with a comical yelp, and suddenly she is replaced by the image of Homer Simpson, complete with waving tongue!

Alarmed, Eddie makes a quick cutting motion with his hand and the image vanishes in a puff of smoke, allowing his countenance some element of surprise so she doesn't think he's doing it on purpose (though he's not sure why she would think that). He starts to stammer apologetically. "Sorry, honey, I still haven't got the hang of this yet.." Smoke starts to seep from his fingers, as though to emphasize his point.

Virginia simply stares at him. "Eddie, look-" She picks up the remote and turns on the news.

“These last 24 hours have left the world in a battered state. Is this the biblical end of times, or is there something more, something greater going on? What is happening to these people, that they are suddenly displaying abilities that we humans have only dreamed of? The questions are too numerous to list and the answers are in numbers that can be counted on a hand. All we know about what’s going on is that, it is going on…."

For seconds they simply stare at each other, looking for something in each others' eyes, then the TV, which neither bothered to turn off:

"I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I know there are plenty of people out there who are just now trying to figure out what the hell has happened to them, and I thought 'Hey! Y'all are like me, you know? Why don't we all get together and talk about it?'"

Eddie looks up, unsure of what to say.

[Yes, I'm in... I figure I'm probably safe as long as I'm playing in almost as few games as the Prof is STing... I have no willpower]

Los Angeles, California - April 11, 1998

[Dawg's Mansion]

Excitement fills the air as the media arrives in the hours before the day even begins, filling quickly the area that was alloted to them. As morning drags onwards, people of all sorts start showing up, including a few picketers with rude signs. There are a few officers keeping a perimeter and base security for the event.

Suddenly there's a scream from the crowd and people look in awe as the shape of a man slowly rises from the lawn of the mansion. The form walks to the door and knocks on it, to be allowed in.. the first of many...

The flight across the country was uneventful other than the fact that Lance had no money to spend on a flight. Marie was astounded at the ease with which they passed through the checkpoints to the LA flight terminal. Lance simply asked to be let through and all of them did as if there was nothing strange in the request. Two first class seats taken by simply walking up to the plane and sitting in them! When the hostess asked for tickets she simply stared blankly for a second as Lance presented...nothing. The shrimps were excellent! They landed in LA where camera crews were waiting for any signs of supermen and women. They never noticed the couple walking with a couple carry-ons out of the airport.

The next morning the couple left the motel where they spent the night and headed for the DD Jones mansion. Traffic was hell and they ended up walking most of the way there only to find themselves stopped by police officers at the perimeter. Lance told Marie not to wait up for him as it could take long before asking a police officer to escort him to the door. Without asking why the officer did as he was told and Lance knocked on the door...

PART III

"Good evening. This is CNN world news, April 6th. You've just seen a recording from March 23, when a title match got an unexpected ending. Approximately two weeks ago, boxers Diamond Dog Jones and Peter Finnegan experienced the strange phenomenon dubbed the eruption of a homo sapiens novus. Scientists are baffled by this seemingly next step of evolution, as all over the world men, women and children display extraordinary powers and abilities earlier only known in fiction."

Rolling over, Jimmy burrowed into his pillow, trying to drown out the sound of the televison. One eye popped open, and balefully glared towards the living room, where the news report was still blaring away. Snatching the alarm clock from the bedside table, he sat up quicky and swore. 9:15 a.m. Late for work. He vaguely remembered a weird dream about flying, but the memory flitted away.

Throwing the blankets aside, he grumpily stumbled to the bathroom and started the shower. Hot water always took forever to come on. He could still hear the reporter in the background.

"Boxer, wrestler and celebrity Diamond Dog has been unavailable for comment since the incident, but today called a press conference in response to the many questions directed to him."

Irritation cutting through his sleepiness, Jimmy marched out to the living room, a television-killing glint in his eye. But the tv wasn't on, and the broadcast he was hearing abruptly stopped. Blinking, he kneeled down next to the tv, checking the power light, maybe the video was just off somehow. Nope.

"Huh." Scratching his head, he shrugged his shoulders and headed back to the bathroom to take a shower.

A few minutes later, Jimmy stepped out of the shower, headed to his closet to pick out his clothes for the day. Opening the bathroom door let out a mist of steam and let in a rush of cold air. As usual, Jimmy shivered in response, but then stopped. He wasn't really cold. A spark of confusion occurred somewhere in the back of his mind, but was quickly overridden by worry about being late to work.

Grabbing a pair of khakis and and a pullover, he threw them on the bed, then ran a hand over his chin, checking the stubble. He definitely needed to shave. Sighing, he made his way back to the bathroom. Grabbing the can of shaving cream, he squirted a pile of foam into his hand and started lathering his face. Setting the can down, he wiped away the steam concealing the mirror, ready to shave.

Staring back at him, from his face, were a pair of cat's eyes. He closed his eyes and opened them again. The eyes in the mirror did the same. He stuck out his tongue at the mirror. His reflection did the same. Then he noticed something else. His body looked different too.

Looking down at himself, he saw rippling abs in place of his normally pudgy belly. His forearms were sinewy with muscle. He made a fist, flexing. Corded tendons stretched taut. He curled his arm, and looked at the rock hard bicep. Amazed, he ran to the mirror in the hallway, and found his reflection still showing a healthy, muscular, and more attractive version of himself there as well.

Then he heard the news report broadcast again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry I can't give you better answers. I still have a lot of questions myself, and I can only hope that our scientists will figure it all out in time. All I know is that I feel better than ever." 

"Now it's time you do for me, boys and girls."

Sprinting to the living room, he saw the television was still off. He checked all the radios, none of them were on either. Work forgotten, he quickly turned on his computer, logging on to internet and opening cnn.com. Sometime within the next fifteen minutes, sitting at his desk, shaving cream still covering his face, Jimmy Sinclair realized he was one of the people Diamond Dog and the news was talking about.

Standing up, Jimmy, now calm, finished his shave and got dressed. He called his work and told his boss he wouldn't be coming in for awhile. His boss, that miserable screaming harridan named Louise, started into one of her lectures. He hung up on her, then grabbed his sunglasses and his car keys off the counter. All the way to the airport, he listened to the local radio stations without ever turning on his car stereo. All the stations were talking about these people, these...Novas. Everday people from all walks of life were now displaying superhuman powers.

Parking his car in the long-term section, Jimmy made his way to the nearest terminal, booking a flight to San Diego. The flight was uneventful, and a few hours later found him in a rental car, headed to Diamond Dog's estate. Parking a few blocks away, he thought about his dream, and concentrated. Eyes closed, he floated into the air, and flew over the high walls to gracefully land at the front door. Taking off his sunglasses, he knocks on the door; walking inside when he's invited in.

Waking up early that morning, Gabriel smiles. His dreams were, for the first time in his life it seems, pleasant and he had slept like a baby just as he had every night for more than two weeks. Taking a deep breath of air through his remarkably clear nasal passages, he took a moment to revel in the smells all around him, all the little things he had never noticed before. Looking at his clock, he sees it's time to go. Getting up, the young man dresses in a pair of black jeans, an amusing t-shirt, and a black pair of sneakers, and then turns on the television.

Suddenly there's a scream from the crowd and people look in awe as the shape of a man slowly rises from the lawn of the mansion. The form walks to the door and knocks on it, to be allowed in.. the first of many...

Watching for a few moments, his newly enhanced memory instantly records the landmarks he needs to find it from the air. Jumping out his open window, the young college student gracefully swoops upwards and out, doing a couple lazy loops before heading towards the estate.

Flying high in the air, Gabriel makes good time, arriving very high above Diamond Dog's estate a few minutes later.

Concentrating on the fire and ice inside him, blue flame began to flicker fitfully around his body. After a few more seconds it stabilizes into a protective sheath of cold blue fire. Girnning, he dives towards the ground, slowing down and righting himself as he reaches the height of the news helicopters. Floating slowly down to the ground in front of the front door. He gracefully touches down and the cold blue fire covering him flickers fitfully for a moment then winks out as he reaches out and knocks on the front door.

[New York, UN Headquarter, 03:51 pm]

Pok-Pok-Pok Three softened blows encountered the thick door. Of the other side sounded equally on that on: „In.“ and without hesitating opened Andric the door and stepped into the office.

„Good morning, Mr. Korvac. They medically should be examined today, if I would remember me correctly.“ Talbot, Andrics superior, looked at him with a mixture out of fear and annoyance on. Whereby the fear probably predominated.

„I must after LA. And to be sure immediately.“ Andric voice was emotion loose and decisive. He would have flown simply even to LA perhaps, but that would have been too many difficulties. Therefore he told Talbot of that „message“, that reached him.

Talbot let set him into an airplane. Andric should collect as many information as possible over this meeting. And therewith he did not go lost, they gave him a emitter, that they were able to pursue over satellite to it.

[Los Angeles, California – April 11, 1998]

After he had arrived in the city, he took a taxi to the mansion. The trip there stretched and was monotonous. The taxi made headway the last meters hardly yet because probably the entire world wanted to be here. Andric paid the driver and went on foot further. He pressed himself through the crowd and entered finally the mansion. He knocked at the door and entered the house when he was invited in.

A short distance from the house, walking calmly on the sidewalk, a young couple approach.

He's 6'2", brown hair, and well built. She's 5'8", petite, and red-headed.

Something about them just screams 'small town'. ::wink

They walk arm in arm, calm, yet wary of the crowd, as if it's not something they have dealt with before.

He is very much 'Nova', if his appearance is anything to go by. Barrel chested, arms like cables, his appearance is only slightly above the baseline norm.

She is very much 'small town girl'. Attractive, slim, casual.

Both are very casually (but neatly) dressed. Jeans and cotton shirts both, and working boots. The similarity in dress doesn't appear to be intentional (they're not colour co-ordinated or anything), but it speaks volumes about the nature of their relationship.

When they arrive at the gate, they're quizzed by the guard.

"Hey there. I'm William Erickson, call me Bill. This is my wife Shirley. We're here for me. This Dog fella invited me?"

"Sir, while you look the part, we'll need some sort of demonstration."

"um.... Sure."

Bill looks around, and picks up a stone from the street. Showing it to the guard, he flexes his arm, and grinds the stone to dust.

"Good enough?"

Assuming no issues with Shirley, she and Bill make their way to the house.....

Michael kneels on one knee, wings folded behind him, as he checked Syn's restraints & ball-gag. Taking a moment to catch her eye & brush his lips over her forehead, he locks the cage, stands & stretches. Thoughts turning to the boxer & his upcoming 'party', the winged man steps towards the window, opening it to the warm California breeze, & placing one foot on the sill. A murmer & jangle of chains brings his focus back to the bound blonde. He doesn't like to leave her unpunished, but...

... Michael's green eyes flare for a moment, & a smile touches his lips. A momentary blaze of green fire, & the other stands beside him. They exchange looks, the other glancing towards Syn with obvious intent, his grin widening. Michael taps his shoulder, then taps the side of his own temple when the other turns,

"Stay in touch, now," he says, "I wouldn't want to miss anything."

With a final laugh at Syn's constrained wriggling as the other moves to select the tools of punishment, the winged man pushes himself from the window, stretches his wings, & soars on the wind - at first swooping low, then rising above the buildings on the thermals from the streets below. The thought that he'd never have allowed another man alone with one of his girls passes through his mind, & is rapidly answered,

*If you can't trust yourself, Mike, then who can you trust?*

Michael laughs again, & turns his attention (well, not all his attention, a bit he reserves for the scene back at the apartment) to trying to follow the streets & roads below as he lazily heads in the direction of the boxer's home.

A while later, the winged man alights on a low rooftop, & scans his gaze over the cityscape. Several passersby spot him, & start to shout & point. Grinning, he steps off the edge of the building, & allows himself to plumment, before opening the wings, & landing in an impressive pose. Inwardly, he wonders what the crowd's reaction would be if they'd seem him practicing for the first few nights - or had any idea of the nerves he felt the first time he threw himself from his apartment window - but he knows well enough the value of appearances, roles, & a good first impression. Standing to his full height, & folding his wings across his bare back, he strides up to the growing group of interested pedestrians &, in his most polite voice, asks directions to 'Dawg's' place. At the first pointed finger, he thanks the crowd, crouches, then leaps high into the air, arcing in the direction he needs to go, & opening the wings at the apex of the incredible leap...

The crowd in front of the mansion are scanning the skies for new arrivals (it seems the transport medium of choice these days ::wink ), when the winged man is spotted. Seeing the cameras & crowds, Michael realises that he must be in the right place. Circling the area (for effect as much as anything), he lands directly in front of the crowds at the gate, standing & folding his wings. The cameras are soon directed towards the imposing bat-winged figure - a shade over six feet tall, with an athletic build, straight black hair to the shoulder, & a torso covered with both tattoos of angelic symbols, & a few piercings. He wears tight leather trousers, heavy biker-style boots, & metal-studded leather wrist bracers. His solid luminous-green eyes scan over the crowd with practiced presence. Picking out the most nervous-looking of the more attractive female reporters, he steps over to her,

"I am Michael Warlock - you may interview me briefly, before I enter the mansion... If that is your pleasure, my lady..." ::sly

((sorry...I missed Absies little dog invite. Ima condence this post with my arrival post))

The purple jeep was parked outside St. Johns catholic Church in the outskirts of a small town.

Cid raised his head and gave a loud "Amen" along with the rest of the normal congregation, then stood up. Unlike most of hte others, who hastened to leave. To go home away from this boring place of God. Cid stayed for an extra moment, he walked to the alter, and prayed another minute. He didnt know how long it had been since his last visit, but he felt he needed the guidance. He stood and when he turned he saw a short thin man in priests robes standing there. He had been the man giving the sermon that night.

"Hello, My name is Father Richard. Im the priest here. Do you need help, my son?"

Cid frowned slightly looking down so that his eyes arent seen. "No...I was hoping to find out a few things about myself, like my name. But if you dont know me then I guess you dont know me..."

The priest looked at him closely. "No, im sorry, but I cant remember you. Is there some way that we can help?"

Cid smiled. he nodded. "You have. You helped me find another place im not from...and you helped inspire me again to finding what I need to. Thank you father, you do you job well."

Father Richard nodded. "We do what we can, with what we have. Do you need a place to stay tonigh? We have spare rooms in the back. Hot food if you want too."

Cid shook his head. "No...I have to go. I have a flight. I hope my donation to your church helps. good night."

The priest walked Cid to the door. The small talk was refreshing. Its been a week since he had really talked to someone...the priest hesitated for a second as he looked out the door.

cid followed and looked at what the priest saw. There were 3 large men around the purple jeep. One laying on the top of the hood, another admiring a wheel. The last walking to the church.

"Hey! Preecher mayn. Its time fo yo ta pay yer protections!"

The priest frowned. "I have already told you that I will not be intimidated by the likes of you! Now get out of here, before I call the police!"

"I don' think so. My dadd...I mean the Sherrif is busy wit my mom right now. the closest cop is about 20 minutes away. We can be in an' out in half that time. Dontcha think its easier ta pay now?"

The man looking at the tire ran over. "And what 'bout them tires? I likes 'em! You mind if I tekem?"

Cid opened the screen door that seperated them, nearly smacking the first man in the face. "Please forgive me father...but I cant stand by and let them insult the church like this..."

The larger man frowned. "And what'cha gonna do? Huh? Squeel like a piggy? Hehe...like in that one movie...that would be funny...you like ta squeel?" He grabs Cids collar and lifts him a few inches. He gasped slightly as he notices Cids eyes. "The hell...?"

Cid raises his hand, palm towards the man...it starts to glow a bright golden color. The startled man holding him freezes as Cid slowly grabs his wrist. A hissing sound...and a smell of human flesh burning later and he has fallen on the ground after letting Cid go. He flips around and the three take off running as fast as they can.

Two blinks later the first man is on the ground...his feet taken from under him. He is flipped over and Cid puts his knee on his chest. "Dont ever threaten a church again. If I ever hear that you do...I will finish what I started on your wrist...I will make sure that you have your hell early." he gets off the boy and waves his hand. "Now go."

Cid turns and walks back to the church, the priest stands there...frozen, shaking. He quickly crosses himself not fully comprehending whats happening.

"Im sorry you had to see that father. If they ever bother you of any other church in the area...call this number and Ill have it stopped. thanks for your help." He smiles slightly and hands a slight of paper to him. The priest nods...but dosent say anything else.

Cid gets in his purple jeep and a few hours later is at the closest airport. he gets through security with no problems...he only has a small carryone with no metal at all in it. He takes a small nap as he flies...he has a nightmare he cant remember. Full of violence. Hate.

The stewartess wakes him in time to get off the plane. he gets into the cab thats waiting for him. After an hour drive he gets to the large mansion. he slightly smiles at the large media sensation thats going on. He lowers his hat (that he bought at the airport, Gotta love them Yankees!) over his eyes and makes his way roughly through the croud. Not pushing if he dosent need to, but getting to the fence and he buzzes to be let in. He gets to the door quickly and quietly after that.

"NO!!" Dog's rumbling voice makes the phone-carrying assistant back up a step.

"I told you a million times, girl. I ain't talking to noone today. There'll be a press conference later. That's all I have to say. OK? Read my lips, Dani: N - O. I don't care if it's the god damn president. F*ckin NO, get it?"

As the girl walks out and apologizes to someone on the phone, Dog gets to work on the third breakfast of the day. Halfway through the chicken he hears the doorbell ringing and - hoping that his assistant at least remembers one of his instructions - gets up and answers the door himself.

Opening the door is a broadshouldered black man in his late twenties, standing close to 6'6" tall. His head is shaved bald, and he's wearing sneakers, wite training pants and a white T-shirt. In is left ear is a diamond earring.

Each of the guests is met with the same "Good morning. You hungry?" greeting, and led into a hall right inside the front door. For the occasion it's been set up with a large table stocked full of food of all varieties, and a few sofas and chairs around. Dog gets back to his own seat, where the scattered leftovers and juice-cartons suggest he's been for a while.

"Don't seem to do anything but eat these days...", he shrugs. "And I heard some doctor say that was normal for... people like us. So I ordered some catering. Dig in!"

Seemingly taking little notice of the first guest or two Dog finishes his last sitting in silence, only interrupted by the door a few times. Then - when there are more people gathered and less eating going on - he looks his guests over.

"So... Y'all don't look like nutcases who wanna trespass on my property, but you never know, right? I had a guy jump the fence in a Superman-suit earlier this morning and if the cops hadn't beat me to it, he'd have learnt to fly pretty damn fast, y'know what I'm saying?"

Looking from one guest to the other, he adds

"So how's about some introductions?"

The doorbell rings. Diamond Dog opens it to reveal a man and a woman in reporter garb. As he angers quickly at the imperturbable persistence of the media, the man quickly raises a hand, and his camera, notepad, and hat vanish in a few wisps of smoke, to be replaced by a black tuxedo. A similar transformation occurs to the clothing of the woman, revealing a red dress. The man smiles apologetically.

"I didn't really want to have to deal with them today..."

He offers his hand, and somehow Diamond Dog feels a kind of fraternal happiness at the symmetry of the gesture.

"My name is Eddie Chambers, and this is my girlfriend Virginia. You said you didn't want anyone this isn't happening to, but I hope you might make an exception in this case.."

The pair wind up in the dining hall with the rest, and they content themselves with some sandwiches (though quite a few in Eddie's case) and wait to watch others come in.

"Good morning. You hungry?"

"Oh, yes. Thank you."

"So how's about some introductions?"

Cid stands up. "Well then. I think I will kick that off. My name is Cid Maxwell...for now at least. If anyone here recognises me by another name, please tell me, I would like to know. I like long walks on the beach and I am superhumanly fast as well as being able to make glowing golden auras around my hands that can destroy...well...anything I have encountered as far."

He takes his seat.

Cid stands up. "Well then. I think I will kick that off. My name is Cid Maxwell...for now at least. If anyone here recognises me by another name, please tell me, I would like to know. I like long walks on the beach and I am superhumanly fast as well as being able to make glowing golden auras around my hands that can destroy...well...anything I have encountered as far."

Lance squints at Cid for a moment then opens his eyes in surprise

"Bert?...Bert Englebutt?!! We used to walk on the beach together! where the heck have you been?"

The novas turn to notice the handsome young man helping himself to some hors-d'oeuvres. He has short auburn hair, blue eyes and is now donning a devilish grin at Cid's behest.

"The name's Lance Albright. For those of you wondering how I got in, that's exactly the reason I'm here. People listen, even DD."

Lance nods at the Dawg and bites into a dim sum.

"Sounds like the natural thing to do when I invite people and they show up, if you ask me. So you're saying you're good at persuading people. The super con man. Is that it?"

"But did you ever ask yourself why you didn't ask me to prove I was...different? The...resurrection...didn't change the body after all."

Edited cause I like "resurrection" better than the ugly "rebirth"

Jimmy uncertainly raises a hand. "Um, hi, I'm Jimmy Sinclair. Well, my change was sorta physical...my eyes changed too, but my body is totally different now. I'm all muscular and stuff. I don't think I'm superstrong, but I really don't know. Only thing I know for sure is I can fly, and I can hear radio and tv broadcasts without a radio or tv."

"I dunno...what if he...ummm...what if what happened to us happened to him from the fight? I think he might then...he is pretty strong from what I remember....you think that might make him stronger?"

::confused

"Who're you talkin' about now? Tyson, or the guy I fought when this happened?"

"If it's Finnegan you mean, it did happen. He should be here later, I guess."

Jimmy uncertainly raises a hand. "Well, my change was sorta physical...my eyes changed too, but my body is totally different now. I'm all muscular and stuff. I don't think I'm superstrong, but I really don't know. Only thing I know for sure is I can fly, and I can hear radio and tv broadcasts without a radio or tv."

"Fly!?! That's pretty damn cool, man. And hearing radio... What channels?"

Jimmy blinks in surprise. "Ummm..., yeah, it is kinda cool. I dunno about different channels. I heard the news from CNN this morning, and I listened to all the local stations back home on the way to the airport."

A woman's voice with a Texas twang replies from the hallway.

Personally, I hear all of 'em! That's the problem - damn tuner's busted.

The woman herself enters the dining room with a duffel bag over her shoulder and a guitar case in her hand. She's about 5'6' with an athletic build, brown hair and eyes, wearing lots of denim and a black Stetson. She smiles around a lollipop.

'Course, now I'm thinkin' about all the money I'll save on Walkman batteries. That don't suck.

She tips her hat to Dog and the others.

Martha Cross, the Wicked Witch of West Texas. And I smell bacon.

(Outside the Mansion)

"I am Michael Warlock - you may interview me briefly, before I enter the mansion... If that is your pleasure, my lady..." 

The slim brunette looks downwards a moment then up into his eyes, "I... would like that very much. Can you tell me Michael, why you actually came here? And maybe some details about what you did before, and how you are dealing with the changes that have occurred?"

The television cameraman behind her focuses in on Michael waiting for his reply. A few of the other cameramen start aiming their recorders in his direction...

(Inside the Mansion)

As the introductions continue, the door opens and in steps a well-built gentleman glides gracefully over towards Dawg and stands beside him. Anybody whose paid attention to the footage that’s been displayed on CNN will recognize him as Peter Finnegan, the opponent who erupted moments before Dawg went through his transformation. His dark green eyes gaze over the group of people, “Did someone call my name? I mean, I’d hate to be the one to disappoint and not show up. There’s a few other guys doing that already… that Portman fella, for one. I don’t see him here. Sorry about being late, but even grace can’t navigate out there. Have you gotten to the point of calling us all together, Dawg? Or is this just jibber jabbering time?”

Andric was only listening to the others. He leaned against a wall and was eating from a plate. He seemed to be very normal. If somebody had asked him for powers, he was flying just for a moment no more than a feet above the ground. And he had not told his name yet.

He was not really tall, just 5‘9“. He wore jeans, a parka, black boots and gloves.

IPB Image

Archived