Adventure! RPG - What do you think of Adventure! ?

CHILL

• 1 month later...

The book is just swell - it appears to consist of two 'covers', between which are sandwiched a large number of 'pages', most of which have row after row of small markings on them...

Seriously, I love the book - great feel, and somehow the most complete of the Aeonverse titles. Easy to read and exciting, with more story hooks than you can shake a stick at. And I really can't say enough how I love the 'start with end' release schedule of the systems - kind of like watching 'Memento', only even more fun and confusing.

The book is great (the type of the paper, the pictures, etc..) But the rules of the super-science are a little confusing..

The "briefing" (i d'ont know if the word "briefing" says what i want to say) of the habilities and Knacks with a "demo" of how it works before the descriptio are all funny and an example of a pulp game...

JDA

I love Adventure!  For me it did four things..

1. Managed to balance the pulp setting with the unique Aeon background.  Its a credit to the writers that the system manages to recreate the excitement of the pulp genre but doesn't seem out of place beside Aberrant and Trinity.

2. Smoothed out a lot of the bumps in the continuity.  Aberrant left a lot of glitches in continuity, in terms of Aeon and many of the sig. characters.  Adventure not only helped explain how Divis Mal came to be (and threw out the "Second Gen Nova" business Krieg was throwing around) and reinforced Aeon as a good organization.

3. Potential.  If Aberrant is the RPG equivalent of WildStorm's Authority comic, then Adventure! is Planetary.  The hidden past of the Aeon Continuum not only is filled with potential for Adventure! but also Aberrant and Trinity.

4. A fitting end.  The circle is complete.  The final game in the trilogy was developed by the guy who started it all, Andrew Bates.  Bates, along with Baugh and others is the reason why the Continuum is successful.

• 1 month later...

over all i loved the book, the one thing i had a problem with was the superscience rules for chemicals. i was playing a doctor who was try to create the ultimate medicine(s), and those rules just did not lend themselves well to anything that wasn't strictly a chemistry experiment, or a poison...

my two little cents...

I felt that it was Kick-a$$ IT did what up until that point no game had ever done. It made me think for myself instead of relying on WW to close all plot hooks. I love the setting it really comes alive in my opinion.

-PP

Why pimp you ask, why not I say. Besides many world leaders love looking down and seeing the top of Pax's head...

• 3 weeks later...

You know I have had Trinity and Aberrant for ages (Trinity is better in my opinion because it was the first Aeon game I bought and to be fair, it has had a better developer!) and love 'em both.

But now Adventure comes along.  And having read it cover to cover twice, and still constantly re-reading other parts of it - I think it is my favourite, usurping poor Trinity's place!  I would also comment that it has learnt from the mistakes of it prequels, I mean sequels, I mean....

... well, you know!     :D

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread has been inactive for a bit now but I just have to say--YOU'RE A FOOL, AEON (no offense, heh). Trinity is the best of the games--THE BEST I TELL YOU, FOREVER! TRINITY FOREVER!!!!! ::doctor sneak up behind and give him a shot, dragging him back to EON basement to work on India Underground::

-Breearg

:nervous

I think it was just the freshness of it that was getting me to thing that way Breearg!  It is better than Aberrant, but not Trinity.  The fact that it was new material though meant that my brain had to consume it and it swirled around my head in a horrible vortex until other than InUn it was the only book I was thinking about.  When I get over the novelty I will....

Oooh, me feel woozy...

* crashes to ground *    :D

Well, as long as you accept it now that--while a great book--Adventure! is just... not Trinity.  As such I have composed a little ditty about it that goes something like this:

Aberrant's Good...

Adventure's Better...

But then you see... my Trinity

And blah blah blah blah

blah blah

blah blah blah YEAH!

But then you see my Trinity and YEAH!

Trinity is superior,

We've got tech, guns and space-ships,

And we kill those slugs from Abbie,

And we ignore they freaks from A!,

CAUSE WE'RE... PSYCHING IN THE 22ND CENTURY,

Because then you see my Trinity!

And besides..

WE WERE FIRST WHICH MEANS WE'RE BETTER,

We've got more plot hooks than... chedder...

and we have nifty aliens,

(what other one has that? huh?).

Oh, and our guys in Trinity can be like--

"Well, we're alive and you're all dead"

To those guys in the other games,

(except for some lame Slugs and stuff..

but we're not gonna talk about that..

BECAUSE THEN YOU SEE MY TRINITY!!!!!!)

Thank you, thank you ::bow...bow... bow::

:colgate

-Breearg

:Baaa

as far as the books, go, aberrant is a nice multi book novel, that's all it is, it's scenarios aren't really playable, all the good character ideas are already npc's, there are no open plot hooks, and you know how it's going to end from the very beginnng, in fact there is an end! aberrant isn't a game system, it's a class b novel in a few too many seperate books...

i never really got into trinity, although it is a well written game...

i do, however, love adventure! it gives you everything you need (expect more gadget rules) and nothing that you don't... i'd love to see it developed, but not past a few more books...

-harle

• 3 weeks later...

I love this game, but then I'm a huge Call of Cthulhu fan and have always pushed my games up to the 2-fisted thirties. My only complaint is that I wish they had proofread the thing one more time before putting it out. Also, it's sad that with such a great overall concept, they couldn't have come up with some better characters as examples, and maybe some better photographs of the characters. The pics of Max Mercer are embarrassing. Small complaints though. I just bought this thing, and I'm already full of ideas for games. Very very nice game.

SB

Welcome again, Swashbuckler!

I agree that the pics can often be a bit poor. Then again, cameras weren't too hot back then, either. You just missed a contest we had here at EON on this topic. It involved dressing as your favorite character/NPC and sending the pictures in to EON. I'm not sure how many participated, but I know my group did. We did our characters from Adventure.

Adventure is a great game to run. Our group has been going since September 7 of last year. We've tweaked the story some, and take turns as ST. It's very adaptable, allowing you to do a lot with it.

Let us know how your game goes when you get one running.

-Joseph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo! Got him both times.  :thumbs-up

Don't mess with the guy who knows PhotoShop.  :P

-Joseph

Disclaimer: Chill, I only changed the graphic, not created a new one whole cloth. That's why I was abele to make an Ike.

:sigh

Archived