Aberrant RPG - New Quantum Power "Ubiquitous Efficacy".

El'Jinn Uu

Ubiquitous Efficacy

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 5

Node Minimum: Instar 6

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Quantum Cost: Equal to the power being copied.

Duration:Maintenance (with duration equal to one turn per dot, doubled per dot of

Quantum Rating over 5).

Effects: The nova may manifest any power at equivalent to this powers Rating in dots.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description: The Novas node failed to develope properly and is forever jammed in a constant state eruption, in the "on" position. As a result of this, the nova's node bends reality on a purely instinctual level by pulling on the strings of matter, energy and space-time allowing them to seemingly do anything for one moment. However, all this power comes at a tremendous cost to the Nova as they are limited to a maximum total number of other Powers, Mega attributes, and Enhancements equal to this (PR X [QR-4]. Equally detrimental to the nova is that they may possess no more dots in a given power or mega att than this powers PR. The nova is limited during eruption to spending no more than 3NP in attributes and 10NP on skills.

The reason being for such incredible weaknesses is that the node is, in essence, filled up past the brink and is incapable of handling any more force. The node is also in a constant state of flux and the only way he/she/it can control the reaction in that moment is to leave their body and enter an enlightened state of clarity, available to them in what can only be called "a spirit", which has a near limitless memory for the nova to draw on.

When the nova returns a millisecond later, they return to using their flesh and blood brain which makes it difficult for the nova to remember how they did what they did, as little or no memory of what they did in their spiritual matrix form was stored in it.

To the Nova the event is nearly instant and lasts for about one turn (3 seconds give or take), just long enough to do something incredible. The duration can be extended in order to perform such feats, such as flight, by continuing to expend quantum. More importantly is that the nova can activate and maintain more than one reality bending effect at a time. Each counts as a multiple action regardless of whether or not the powers are activated at the same time, or one is already activate for some time prior to the activation of another. All activate powers must pay an number of additional QP equal to the Total Number of active powers.

Note: Quantum maxing can effect either this power, or the gained power, but the gained power will still be limited to this ones duration. Plus energy expulsion powers are 1/2 their damage die pools and powers of transmutation and creation last for only one scene per dot in this power unless power maxed or permanent willpower is spent.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Thanks, but I'll stick with Node Spark.

Well, Node Sparks fun and all (best when you're going for a Taint Monkey concept) But I kinda figured that not every nova should have the classic "Node Spark" every time, since your supposed attempt and make novas powers as varied as possable.

Originally Posted By: Courier
I can't decide if it's too powerful or too weak.
I'd suggest you don't let people buy this with experience... and it's most appropriate for a ST created NPC.

Yuppers, this can only be purchased at eruption. And it is too weak And to powerful at the same time, which as Lisa Simpson said about her attempt at baking fish stix;
"They're burnt on the outside, but still cold on th inside sooo, it kinda balances out" smile
Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
I think it is more suitable as a NPC gimmick power.
Atsa what I'm going for. It's kina like "Boost" or "Body Morph" (It offers little you can't get from buy-in other powers and, is a little weak to boot). It's just a fun gimmick power like you said.

Originally Posted By: El'Jinn Uu
Atsa what I'm going for. It's kina like "Boost" or "Body Morph" (It offers little you can't get from buy-in other powers and, is a little weak to boot). It's just a fun gimmick power like you said.

Then you don't need it stated out. If it's just for gimmicks and NPCs then all you need to say is "NPC does this, and this happens."

What this power does, Node Spark can already accomplish. Sure, it's risky, but that's the point. But at least with Node Spark you actually get something for the XP and NP you've invested into the power.

The power you've created has no purpose, no place. There is no niche in which for it to fit. It's basically "Do as I please with every power in the game, but I have to have to erupt at Quantum 6 if I want to do anything at all."

Quote:
However, all this power comes at a tremendous cost

No, really... that's not a tremendous cost. 1 point of temp taint for ever "1" you roll is a tremendous cost. What you have is a minor limitation.

Quote:
to the Nova as they are limited to a maximum total number of other Powers, Mega attributes, and Enhancements equal to this (PR X [QR-5]

So, this power is useless I erupt at Quantum 6 then, eh?

Quote:
Quantum Minimum: 5
Node Minimum: Instar 6

So, my Quantum is 5. I decide the max power ratings I can have.

Power Rating X [Quantum Rating - 5] is the formula. So in this case... 5 - 5 = 0. Power Rating X 0 = 0. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0. So my max power ratings are nil. At Q6 I can have 1, Q7 2, etc...

I should have gone with Node Spark. At least Temporary Taint bleeds off, this power demands you have 5 points of permanent just from your node and Quantum Score, not to mention what you gained elsewhere.

Sorry, El, I'll pass.

Wow Rev, I don't know what to say

Atsa what I'm going for. It's kinda like "Boost" or "Body Morph" (It offers little you can't get from buy-in other powers and, is a little weak to boot). It's just a fun gimmick power like you said.

Then you don't need it stated out. If it's just for gimmicks and NPCs then all you need to say is "NPC does this, and this happens."

Whats with the attitude?
What this power does, Node Spark can already accomplish. Sure, it's risky, but that's the point. But at least with Node Spark you actually get something for the XP and NP you've invested into the power.

The power you've created has no purpose, no place. There is no niche in which for it to fit. It's basically "Do as I please with every power in the game, but I have to have to erupt at Quantum 6 if I want to do anything at all."

So it's alright for someone with Node Spark to "Do as I please with every power in the game", but not this one? And since when did a nich need to be filled anyways? I didn't know "Boost", "Quantum Bolt" or "Name it", filled a Nich better than this. What kind of purpose should it fill? And if Node spark is essentialy the same power than, doesn't that make Node Spark equaly worthless in "Filling a Nich"? And Dude... where's your anger comming from? You've got a little to much passion invested in this!

Your like a Trekker at a Nerd-Con getting pissed because I said "Have a nice day" instead of "Kaplah"!..... Woh sorry for trying to be inventive. I should just Stick to Bench mark powers and try and rape the rules like you do, with Node spark.

However, all this power comes at a tremendous cost

No, really... that's not a tremendous cost. 1 point of temp taint for ever "1" you roll is a tremendous cost. What you have is a minor limitation.

Okay... Than why say this next statement

I should have gone with Node Spark. At least Temporary Taint bleeds off, this power demands you have 5 points of permanent just from your node and Quantum Score, not to mention what you gained elsewhere.
?? Two rather contradicting statements you've got going here... Don't cha think?

On one hand your bashing the power for not having any weakness compairable to Node Spark (with its devistating potential for Taint). Then you totaly Juxt yourself by bitching that "Ubiquitous Efficacy" has rediculously harsher weaknesses than "Node Spark" which can easily bleed off it's weaknesses.

???? Pick a direction Rev, cause I'm Not sure which way your going.

to the Nova as they are limited to a maximum total number of other Powers, Mega attributes, and Enhancements equal to this (PR X [QR-5]
So, this power is useless I erupt at Quantum 6 then, eh? So, my Quantum is 5. I decide the max power ratings I can have. Power Rating X [Quantum Rating - 5] is the formula. So in this case... 5 - 5 = 0. Power Rating X 0 = 0. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0. So my max power ratings are nil. At Q6 I can have 1, Q7 2, etc...
This was a simple typo that should have read as "PR X's [QR-4]. I posted this power so peeps like you could tell me what needed a changen, not so you could blast me for "not sticking with what's already in the books" like some religious Nut. I don't know Christians who are that much of a stick in the mud.

Look, I get it, you like Node Spark, so do I ! In fact, my Novus Has it. Like I said "It's the best taint monkey power out there", and it's perfect for my Novus, BUT, NS is more of an "I can do anything I want, but only when I power up like Son-Goku the Super Saiyajin!". Ubiquitous Efficacy is more like the "Your weak but, you can occasionally do something Awsome and Spectacular".

FYI-The Typo can be fixed you know, and look, it has been.

My most serious issue with this power is it breaks the PC Template. I.e. "can't buy this power with exp", "can't have more than X NP in other stuff for balance", etc.

Not only is it built for NPCs but it's built for a specific NPC. That's fair enough, I don't have a problem with NPCs living by different rules. Similarly, NPCs can get Taint Diseases... for example they might buy something tainted *every* *year*. Not because they're stupid or self destructive but because that's the way their Node works.

But with Q-Imprint in the game you might want to just give the NPC with this Q-Authority (yes, and Q7) and be done with it. He erupted with Q7, he's basically a baseline other than this, he can't manifest Mastery, and *no* *one* can Imprint this short of Divis Mal.

So now lets look at the powers Pros' and cons'

Pro:

You can use any power in the book (which is played out as a "Bending in Reality").

Con:

1.High Node and Quantum requirement.

2.High Taint due to High Node and QR. (3+1=4)

3.Heavy Limits on NP expendatures.

4.Heavy Limit on Number of Other powers. PR X's [QR-4]

5.Heavy Limit on Maximum Dots in Other powers equal to this powers

6.The nova is also limited during eruption to spending no more than 3NP in attributes and 10NP on skills.

7.A low duration for this power and for powers it mimics.

8.A Minor limit on directed energy damages.

First, there was no attitude. If you chose to see it that way, fine, that's your call. Sorry you feel that way.

I didn't appreciate the personal attack and it wasn't called for. I posted opinions about your power, but my intention was not to attack, just critique.

I'm with Courier on this one. My opinion is that this power isn't needed. Just let the NPC do what ever you want him/her to do and just be done with it.

With that list of Pros and Cons I can't see any player actually wanting this power. If it's specifically for NPCs, then it doesn't need to exist, just ST Fait it.

Well... If you ment no harm by it, than I'm sorry fer the insult on my part and, I'm in the wrong.

As to the critique, that's what I was looking for, and I thank you for your advice, for instance, showing me that huge typo of my and how confusilling it is.

No, this is not just for NPC's, some players (Like me) like interseting powers that will seldom come up. I based this one off of comics and powers I've seen others post in the past. I realized that a power like this would be great for;

*The few Novus that Glitch during eruption.

*The few players that just wanted something a little Differant.

*The few Novas that are just Mentally unstable to begin with.

*The few novas that wer so indecisive in their Baseline lives, that when it came down to Eruption, their power represented this.

*The Few novus that may have been doing drugs and ended up viewing the universe through LSD laiden eyes.

And finaly

*The Few Novus that are just so power mad, egotistical, or just so desired the ability to "do it all", prior to eruption that, They wer willing to take the easy path to power (Regardless of the personal (yet, unforseen at the time) personal cost to self.

As you can see, this power fills just these few niches, and these wer the few I was aiming for. To call it a gimmick power would be incorrect as it i more like "Boost", "Winged Flight", and "Body Morph" in that it is an RP-Flavor power.

To boot, the weaknesses are based appon the over-reaching nature of the power. It delves/dips it's hands in so many pots that it stretches the limits of the Node, causing said node to be pushed to an extream, filling it up, and reducing the Novus focus towards developing Skills, Atts, and other powers. during eruption. (This also happens to prevent the Player from Being far more powerful than other players starting out.)

Sorry again for the misunderstanding, now that I know how you speak/thing when you right, I won't make the mistake of missunderstanding you in the future.

The Taint 5 was factored as the Nova needing Q6 to activate the power prior to fixing the math.

Quote:
Sorry again for the misunderstanding, now that I know how you speak/thing when you right, I won't make the mistake of missunderstanding you in the future.

Don't sweat it. I don't pull punches when offering my opinions, so I get the reaction you had a lot.

It's no big deal. No harm, no foul.

Perhaps you could use a tempplate from M&M, like Nemesis.

Heee heee. Um. I do want to toss in here. I'm gonna get beaned, I know, but this is setting off that little buzzer in my head again. That buzzer that goes, "Someone's trying to get somethin' fer nothin'." The list of pros and cons helps illustrate the point, I think:

Pro:

You can use any power in the book (which is played out as a "Bending in Reality").

Pro: You're God. Nuff said.

Con:

1.High Node and Quantum requirement.

Yes, because...people HATE having high Node and Quantum. They loathe it. I have to push and push people to buy those things up. Maybe now they finally will.

2.High Taint due to High Node and QR. (3+1=4)

See the posts about Chrysalis for a full treatment of my views on 'taint as a balancing factor.' I'll summarize here: It's not.

3.Heavy Limits on NP expendatures.

This is redundant. Future items on this same list specify exactly how the expenditures are limited, each under its own heading. That renders this, more general listing, obsolete. It is what we call in the biz, "Merciless padding." 8 items in a list looks more impressive than 7, no?

4.Heavy Limit on Number of Other powers. PR X's [QR-4]

I think this is my favorite. You have one power that is functionally ALL powers...but oh no! You can't have more than a handful of OTHER powers! Um...why would I bother having -any- other powers again?

5.Heavy Limit on Maximum Dots in Other powers equal to this powers

See above. Not only can I not have many other powers, but they can't have many dots. But...of course, I wouldn't want many dots in other powers anyway, cuz I'd want to pump the SuperPower up as far as I could.

6.The nova is also limited during eruption to spending no more than 3NP in attributes and 10NP on skills.

So no more than 9 extra attribute points, and no more than...60 (!!) extra skill points? Yeah. I don't think I've ever bothered to use more than 2 NP on stats or skills for any character I've ever made. And the ones that do tend to be "super normals" that don't invest heavily in powers anyway. So...how is this really a limiting factor?

7.A low duration for this power and for powers it mimics.

But, I think it fair to point out, probably not as low as the duration of any given fight involving this power and the powers it mimics.

8.A Minor limit on directed energy damages.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and posit that this 'minor limit' isn't one that would stop the damage from being enough to punch through all but the most determined defenses. Especially since if one tactic doesn't work, you can just alter what power you're mimicking.

So!

To summarize.

The pro is: You're god. The cons are, "A bunch of stuff I wasn't going to want, or be deterred by losing, anyway."

Gonna have to say...not in any game I'd ever run, play in, read the threads to, or in any way have any association with ever, unto the last degredation of the last photon in the heat death of the universe.

No, just freakin No. Regardless of what you have to have to get it, it's broken. I would never allow something like this in my game, hell I wouldn't want to play in a game where this power existed. There's such a thing as going to far, and this power does that...

No Salmon, your argument was dead on (except on the duration), and I was woundering who'd first catch on... I should have known it would be you Max...

The only Real limitation to this power is the time limit of one action/turn (or 3seconds). The lowest durations are Maint (QR+PR) turns in combat, and 1 scene out of combat. This puppy is Just PR in turns, 3seconds is Hecka short. If, for instance, you use this power to fly, you'll use up 40 QP (mana LOL) in one miniute, and then your screwed if you didn't spend a lil NP on your pool. Other powers let you addin Q-Rating in time.

But still, 3seconds is alot of time to do something in...

"I can do alot in 3 seconds, I can take all of the slices of pepperoni off of a pizza in three seconds"-Johnny Depp, 21Jupmstreet.

I know I still need some work on this puppy before it's good to go, and Rev was right in that it's not a good power as is, he just couldn't put his finger on all it's faults like you did cuz, he was still in shock that I even had the odassity to post such a wacked power. smile

It needs some work so that it's not Soooo over powered. I don't want it being used to trump other powers.

and Rev was right in that it's not a good power as is, he just couldn't put his finger on all it's faults like you did cuz, he was still in shock that I even had the odassity to post such a wacked power.

Don't flatter yourself. Max said everything I was going to say, but didn't, because every time I tell it like it is one of you sniveling, emotionally fragile, power gaming pukes has to piss and moan that I'm too mean, and I'm a bad guy, and wah wah wah.... boo fuckin' hoo.

Look if you want the truth I'll hit you with it, personally though I doubt you could handle it without crying.

and Rev was right in that it's not a good power as is, he just couldn't put his finger on all it's faults like you did cuz, he was still in shock that I even had the odassity to post such a wacked power.

Don't flatter yourself. Max said everything I was going to say, but didn't, because every time I tell it like it is one of you sniveling, emotionally fragile, power gaming pukes has to piss and moan that I'm too mean, and I'm a bad guy, and wah wah wah.... boo fuckin' hoo.

Look if you want the truth I'll hit you with it, personally though I doubt you could handle it without crying.

LOL... I loved the "sniveling, emotionally fragile, power gaming pukes" part. I must admit Rev, I'm Really starting to like you after that last post.
And FYI-Rev, I was just jesting, I knew you knew already. Your prior post proved that much.

Originally Posted By: "Courier"
This power is a piece of Q-Authority. Maybe it should be rebuilt as a weakened version of QA with a Q-min of 7.
Well, I'd rather just find someway to knock it down (weaken it) so that it's playable at lower levels. It wasn't intended for power play, but rather for RP. I can think of many better way to gain power than this puppy if this was just about power play. (Besides... If I wanted power play, I'd play Rifts, and I've had my fill o that.

Naw, I just needs to get this limited quite a bit. As is, Rev, Max, and Justin are dead pan right on it being a lil too much. This needs to be no more powerful than say, Node Spark.... Any suggestions. Maybe a higher QP cost?

Without actually getting into the nits, grits and picks of this argument I just want to point out that Nodespark doesn't let you take any power. it specifically states it lets you evolve along the lines of what powers and themes you already have going on.

Yeah, I know, but Rev used Node-Spark as a bench Mark to messure this power by, and I figured I had no problem with that, so I'm letting them.

It's a no harm no fowl (Kaw kaw) kinda thing.

But whatcha think about the x3 cost multiplier?

Level 1 costs 3QP

Level 2 costs 6QP

Level 3 costs 9QP

With a Pool of 30QP that would mean you could use a Level 1 power 10 times, a level 2 power 5times, and a level 3 power 3X's. It would still be a good power that way, and wouldn't be to munchkiny. Also this way it fit the whole RP idea of it being "just odd events that just happen", consept.

The power limits you to only one other power at one dot still, and still has limited time.

One other thing I've been plodding around was a base difficult equal to the powers level your trying to mimic, and a reqiured Dice Pool roll. Last is, I agree on Salmon Max's comment that the reduced directed energy flaw ain't "Flawy" enough.. Hows about a +1 additional difficulty, and a one-quarter damage reduction?

Any of this sound good?

Archived