Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, dropped a dot of armour, which brought me down to 50 points. Sorry about that, I had a copy of the 200X bible printed off from a while ago, didn't realize there was an updated one.

Also posted a new topic about the Enhancement Objet D'art.

BTW, how do you make the dots for stats in the character profiles?

Turn on HTML and use the following:

●

Or turn on HTML and Copy a dot and paste it in your profile, keep hitting Ctrl-V until you have all the dots you need.

You can turn on HTML in the 'Mark Up' area in a post box, in the drop down menu where it says 'using UBBCode'.

You won't see it unless you're in full reply, a quick reply won't display the option.

You have to use HTML encoding to get it to work. If you want to go the full-blown HTML-route, you'll probably want to talk to Carver (Jael), since she seems to know the most about it.

Alternately, if you look below the text-box in the "Full Reply Screen", you'll see a dropdown labeled, "Markup". Click on that, and select, "using HTML and UBBCode". Once you've done that, past in "●" (without the quotes, of course), and it'll appear as a dot once you've hit submit.

So if you wanted to have 5 dots next to your APP, it'd look like this, "App: ● ● ● ● ● ". Once you hit submit it'll show up as dots.

Note: when using the HTML or HTML and UBBCode modes you can't use the Preview function; it doesn't work.

I've been putting notices on Character Profile threads for characters who've been inactive for more than a couple of months. Some of these characters will likely be removed entirely sometime in the very near future, as they've been inactive for half a year or more at this point. Others have simply been issued a notice, and will be left alone for the time being.

Anyone who does not want their character to be removed, and who intends to begin writing for that character can simply say so here, or in a PM addressed to the Mods. You will, of course, need to actually start writing in order for this to do you any good, but provided you do so I'll happily remove the Notice.

Additionally, I am putting together a list of currently active characters who do not have adequate point histories (or none at all) or adequate character histories (or none at all). I will put up that list here just as soon as I'm done.

Alright, here's the breakdown of currently active characters whose sheets are not quite up to par. Please don't consider this to be some kind of slap on the wrist or anything, and I don't want any of you to feel pressured to rush over to your character profiles and fix this right away, before your beloved PC gets banished to PM-land by the evil Mod-people. wink

I do expect these sheets to get updated as soon as is convenient, and if any (or all) of them are still sitting unchanged this time next month, then we'll have something of a problem. But for right now, if your character's name is on the list, simply make a note of it, and go add the necessary information whenever best suits you. smile

Needs a Point History:

Contessa Danae

Fianna

Jael Carver

Jason Grant

Ryusei Hideyoshi (not sure if he added it after this post, or if I just missed it the first time through, but Ryu seems to have a point history - easy to miss, though it might be - on his profile)

The Revenant

Xiao Saori

Needs a Character Background:

Doctor Aeon

Neil Preston

Shae

In the case of the backgrounds, I realize that the players may not want to put a background up yet, due to Cipher or something else, but if you could please put something up, it would be appreciated. For an example of how to do this, without giving away all of your character's dirty little secrets, see Fianna's "background". It's just a newspaper article, and though it doesn't really give much detail about the character at all, it tells enough to give us an idea of who this character is, where she's coming from, and how she got to be where she is now.

Alternately, you could do what I did with Lee and put up an "IC" background, that tells what the average person might know about her, and then put all the secret stuff in a {spoiler}{/spoiler} box in a post at the bottom. Whatever suits you guys best works for me, just so long as it's something.

Right, I'm looking for a point history of how you spent your points during creation as well as a history for any points you spend after creation. For examples of what that looks like, you can refer to the character profiles of any of the player characters not on the list above. Some are clearer than others, but they're close enough that I'm happy.

I wouldn't ask, except we already had an issue of a new player accidentally spending more than was allowed (honest mistake on his part), and I've already spotted at least one PC amongst those who were issued an Inactivity Notice who has actually spent less than their allotted amount during creation (meaning, their math is obviously bad, and once it's fixed they'll wind up with more dots on the page - except they're inactive, so I'm not going to worry about it unless I hear back from the author).

Quote:
Needs a Point History:
Contessa Danae
Fianna
Jael Carver
Jason Grant
The Revenant
Xiao Saori

I'm sorry Kazuo, I must disagree with you.

These PCs were approved by moderators over a year ago and they were permitted as valid PCs (I removed my totals from the original PM I sent and just posted the finished product). Just because power has shifted to us doesn't mean these player should be required to re-audit their PCs.

There is no clause in the Bible that states that NP need to be posted on a sheet, only XP Logs and that XP Logs will be audited. None of the mentioned PCs above are in violation of any of the rules of 200X.

I'm afraid I find your request slightly unreasonable.

Originally Posted By: The New 200X Bible
Character sheets for each character are to be posted and maintained accurately. No specific format is required, but the character sheet must be easy to read. Changes made to the character sheet should be explained in a footnote or closely-related post.

Moderator approval of character sheets is not required; however, moderators will occasionally audit character sheets. Also moderators may edit character sheets for xp tracking purposes.

Currently, nothing whatever is mentioned in the Bible regarding retroactive point tallies or backgrounds, save for the fact that further expenditures must be backed up by fictions and interactions. If these are new changes you're implementing, they need to be included in that document (much like the issue I raised regarding 2010 that has yet to be resolved.) Please note, as well, the line which states that character sheets do not require moderator approval, which seems to be contrary to what you're asking.

Also, not having spent all of one's allotted NP at creation isn't necessarily an indicator of obvious bad math. Some players, including me, simply elected not to spend up to the cap.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse or difficult, but you might want to take this sort of thing into consideration.

If possible, too, instead of making posts in people's character threads (which they cannot remove, and which are unnecessarily distracting to those writing or trying to read them), you might want to think about sending them a PM instead. They're more likely to notice a new message on logging in than an edit to their character thread. (That's just a personal suggestion, although it's technically permitted according to the rules.)

Quote:
I'm sorry Kazuo, I must disagree with you.

These PCs were approved by moderators over a year ago and they were permitted as valid PCs (I removed my totals from the original PM I sent and just posted the finished product). Just because power has shifted to us doesn't mean these player should be required to re-audit their PCs.

There is no clause in the Bible that states that NP need to be posted on a sheet, only XP Logs and that XP Logs will be audited. None of the mentioned PCs above are in violation of any of the rules of 200X.

I'm afraid I find your request slightly unreasonable.
It states that Moderators will occasionally audit character sheets, which quote I will be providing below. That said; I do not understand why this is being made into a big deal...

This is not a difficult request - or at least it shouldn't be. It is an easy request. It is also not an unreasonable request (sorry, Rev, I know you're entitled to your opinion, but so am I).

Now, if we want to put it to a vote, and if everyone decides that no initial creation histories are required, then fine, I'll stand down. I think that's a terrible idea personally, because it opens too many doors for people to (purposefully or accidentally) wind up with lots of bad math on their sheet, and the extra (or missing) dots to go along with it.

If you're saying that older characters shouldn't be required to provide accountability while new characters are, then I have to disagree with you. If the newer characters need to provide a point history so that we can check them over as Mods and make sure they're legit, then the older characters should too. If for no other reason than to provide a good example to incoming players who're referring to our character sheets for inspiration on how to put together their own.

Again, I do not see why this is being made into even a minor deal, let alone a multipost-encompassing one...

Fianna, you brought up some specific points, so I'll address them in order below:
Quote:
Currently, nothing whatever is mentioned in the Bible regarding retroactive point tallies or backgrounds, save for the fact that further expenditures must be backed up by fictions and interactions. If these are new changes you're implementing, they need to be included in that document (much like the issue I raised regarding 2010 that has yet to be resolved.) Please note, as well, the line which states that character sheets do not require moderator approval, which seems to be contrary to what you're asking.
Actually, the response to your point here is found in the very quote you used, though I can see why you might not have noticed it.
Quote:
Moderator approval of character sheets is not required; however, moderators will occasionally audit character sheets. Also moderators may edit character sheets for xp tracking purposes.
(I added the bold font, of course)
Quote:
Also, not having spent all of one's allotted NP at creation isn't necessarily an indicator of obvious bad math. Some players, including me, simply elected not to spend up to the cap.
I wasn't referring to characters who hadn't used the full 50NPs. I was referring to a character who, as near as I could tell (which was difficult, because they didn't have a creation history for me to refer to), had not spent all of their original 7/5/3, 23, 7, and 15 Starting Points. Perhaps this was intentional on their part, perhaps not. My only point in bringing it up was that it was a pain in the backside trying to do the backwards math to confirm it without a point tally. In this case it was not a big deal, because the character is Inactive, however this could easily happen to an active character and if they don't have a point tally (both for their own benefit, as well as those of us Mods) to refer to, it's not likely that it would ever be noticed.
Quote:
If possible, too, instead of making posts in people's character threads (which they cannot remove, and which are unnecessarily distracting to those writing or trying to read them), you might want to think about sending them a PM instead. They're more likely to notice a new message on logging in than an edit to their character thread. (That's just a personal suggestion, although it's technically permitted according to the rules.)
Unfortunately, the only place where a Mod made mention of the fact that we would initially be putting these notices into the character profiles themselves was in the "NV vs XP Place Your Vote!" thread (in the 200X Archive forum). Here is the relavent quote:
Originally Posted By: Shae
Characters that become inactive will be notified on their character sheet that they've become inactive and are no longer receiving the additional xp (until they start posting again). Also, characters that remain inactive for a protracted period without contacting the mods with an acceptable explanation (preferably beforehand) will be removed from the board, with the character sheet PM'd to the author.
I'm sorry if you found it confusing, but it was what we had decided on as a group of four Mods, and we did post notice for it (even if it was in an unusual place).

It occurs to me that, since this issue of Point Histories is becoming an issue, I should ask for the opinions of other players inside of 200X.

So, any of you who play here, what do you think? Is asking for a Creation History that terribly demanding and/or unreasonable?

This is a genuine question, too. I'm really not trying to be dictatorial at all, here, and I'm more than willing to admit that I might be looking at things from a poor perspective.

You see, for me, putting together a Creation History is an incredibly simple, straightforward, 1,2,3 kind of process, and I guess I kind of assumed it would not be that much different for the rest of you.

And to clarify, here is an example of what I mean by a Creation History (or Point History, or whatever you want to call it), taken from my own character, Ausrine:

Quote:
Freebie Points: 15: 14 points spent on Quantum. 1 point spent on merits.

Nova Points: 58: 3 points spent on willpower. 6 points spent on attributes. 5 points spent on abilities. 4 point spent on backgrounds. 21 points spent on mega-attributes. 2 points spent on tainted mega-attributes. 6 points spent on tainted density increase: extreme density. 3 points spent on force field. 3 points spent on flight. 3 points spent on tainted Gravity Control. 1 point spent on Psychic Link. 1 points spent on bioluminescence.

And there you go!

Is this too much to ask?

Originally Posted By: Kazuo
"Feedback, please!"

Personally - and this does matter to me, as I have two characters on Kazuo's list - I don't mind the NP breakdown. We required it in MCH because it really does help check player math. Reverse engineering a character is a lot easier when you can see where the points went, or at least where the player thinks they went. I plan to do that to my characters even if you guys don't require it, because it's just that helpful to the mods.

So my short answer is, "I don't mind."

Edit.

Ugh. Y'know, Kazuo, no. I don't agree with this. If you guys would have trouble re-tracing the steps characters were created with over a year ago, why would it be any different for anyone else?

If you guys, as Moderators, could (finally, please) act as a group, communicate, and make information like this both easily accessible (i.e. post it in the Bible, which we're supposed to be using for reference) and part of a consensus between the lot of you, these changes and requests would be a little easier for me to swallow. It's not reasonable to expect that a new player, for example, should have to sort through every OOC post to look for tidbits of rules or guidelines (like the inactive character decision you cited as being in the Vote thread) that should be clearly listed along with the others in the Bible.

If the mods, as a group, decide that retroactive character audits are a good idea, that's fine. I'll bite. I'm just not happy with the way things have been handled here recently.

Kazuo,

I do not recall agreeing to a forum wide character audit.

But never mind, do as you please. With the current state of the boards cliques I'll be outvoted no matter what is decided.

Personally I think you're micro-managing, and that really isn't any fun for me.

Also, as a moderator, I shouldn't audit my own PC. I request someone else do it for me, I'll gladly fix any errors if there are any found.

Kazuo and I chatted and made some progress on where we're butting heads on this issue.

I won't say it's resolved, but we didn't kill each other. We're trying guys, we're four different people with four different ways of doing things. In time we'll get used to one another and learn to work well as a team.

Until that time comes we're going to flub here and there, and most likely irritate some of you more than once. Work with us please, and we'll of course try and work with all of you.

I'd like to know for just what exact reason Jason is on the list? is it the character point break down or something else? As for the point breakdown, I really don't see the need. Jason was approved a year ago and since I haven't done anything with the character Xp wise, there is nothing to update. so what is the problem? If you really want to know his base point totals then figure them out. I, frankly, have better things to do than reverse-calculate a character I made a year ago sinply to satisfy your curiosity.

Seriously, folks. It's not a big deal to just provide a simple breakdown of where your points have gone, even if it has been a year since they were approved. No-one's saying "DO IT RIGHT NAOW!", but it would make our jobs easier. Telling the Mods to "figure it out yourselves" is not helpful, constructive, or even diplomatic. If you can't be bothered to book-keep your character so that we can do our jobs easily and quickly (bearing in mind we all have other things to do as well), then its basically poor manners and displays a lack of consideration. We aren't asking because we're curious. We are asking because we feel we need to know in order to keep the game here fair and fun. So consider this a 'pretty please' on the point-breakdown issue.

Jason, there was nothing condescending or offensive about Kazuo's warning post regarding Spartan. You're reading too much into a Mod's attempt to notify you fairly about a potentially inactive character being removed. I know you might feel you're being singled out here since both Jason and Spartan are under scrutiny, but the odds are that none of us knew that they were the same player.

More to the point, it doesn't matter if both characters belong to the same player. A request for book-keeping on one character and a notification of inactivity on another do not constitute an assault on your Human Rights. Please keep the matter in perspective.

It has always been considered to be bad form and poor manners to post in someone else's character profile in any section of these boards. Asking him to remove a post from my character profile is entirely warrented.

I don't have an issue answering questions by just about anyone (particularly moderators) however, this was handled particularly poorly and I was offended. If you absolutely need information from me then by all means shoot me a private message and I'll do my best to provide an answer. If, however, you do the internet equivelant of rapping my knuckles with a yard stick then I'm gonna get bitchy with you. That's just how I roll.

On to the whole point expenditures deal. It has never been required before and I fail to see how it all of a sudden has become a serious issue. I'm sorry if this sounds bitchy or snotty but until it's an offical rule in 200X then I am not going to waste my time re-building my characters. For the amount of time I actively spend here it's just not worth it.

Since this turned into such a big deal - which still baffles me to no end - I've gone to the trouble of putting together Creation Histories for some of the "problem characters". The ones I did not put together histories for are Dawn's characters, because she informed me that she would be putting them in herself and I need not bother, and Jason Grant/Spartan, because he has chosen to remove his characters.

You guys are under no pressure to use these, I'm simply providing them for your convenience. If you would like to put together your own point histories, then by all means, do so.

Quote:
Fianna

Freebie Points: 25/25: 5 points spent on attributes. 2 points spent on abilities. 2 points spent on willpower. 16 points spent on abilities.

Nova Points: 58/50: 4 points spent on attributes. 3 points spent on abilities. 1 point spent on backgrounds. 15 points spent on mega-attributes. 6 points spent on enhancements. 6 points spent on a/p mastery. 2 points spent on tainted a/p mastery. 9 points spent on claws with rqc extra. 4 points spent on tainted claws with rqc extra.

Fianna: You'll notice that, according to my math, you've spent 2 more points than your sheet lists. Let me be clear; this does not necessarily mean you made a mistake in your math! You chose to take the lower quantum and extra BPs, and there's a lot of ways to spend them, so I may not have spent them the same way you did, leading to a higher NP spending count.

However, this does serve as a good example of why I would like the authors to provide point histories themselves. If, moving forward, all authors would prefer that we (the Mods) backwards-engineer point histories ourselves, then you guys are going to have to live with whatever count we come up with - even if it's higher than what you remember it being! Fianna's sheet says she spent 2 points less than what my count says she did. Personally, I'm inclined to believe the player. But my personal feelings don't have much to do with my responsibilities as a Mod, and so Fianna's Creation History (as provided by me) lists her as having spent 2 more points than is currently listed.

Again, no slight intended towards Fianna's player - I really am inclined to think that I simply spent the BP's differently than she did, and was unable to successfully backwards-engineer her character exactly as she created it.

Quote:
Contessa Danae

Freebie Points: 15/15: 14 points spent on quantum. 1 point spent on merits.

Nova Points: 58/58: 3 points spent on attributes. 1 point spent on abilities. 1 point spent on willpower. 21 points spent on mega-attributes. 3 points spent on enhancements. 5 points spent on clone. 3 points spent on ESP. 5 points spent on gravity manipulation. 3 points spent on boost. 3 points spent on flight. 5 points spent on warp. 5 points spent on psychic shield.

Perfectly put together, and actually very simple to backwards-engineer. I was pleasantly surprised.
Quote:
The Revenant

Freebie Points: 15: 14 points spent on quantum. 1 point spent on backgrounds.

Nova Points: 58/48: 3 points spent on attributes. 3 points spent on abilities (3 dots left over). 2 points spent on backgrounds. 9 points spent on mega-attributes. 3 points spent on enhancements. 9 points spent on dd. 3 points spent on q-bolt. 3 points spent on invisibility. 5 points spent on domination with pp extra. 5 points spent on weakened psychic shield. 3 points spent adding impervious extra to psychic shield.

Either this one was not so well put together, or I (once again) built him very differently than his creator. Not sure which.

Rev, according to my build, you have 3 more ability dots left unspent from the last of 3NPs spent raising abilities. Also, your final count came out 6NP lower than that listed on your sheet.

Not sure if I did something wrong, or you did, but once again, we have a good example of why Creation Histories are a good idea in the first place, and why you (the authors) putting them together yourselves is an even better one.

Quote:
It has always been considered to be bad form and poor manners to post in someone else's character profile in any section of these boards. Asking him to remove a post from my character profile is entirely warrented.
We (the Mods) officially stated that we would be putting notices into inactive characters threads in the NP vs XP voting thread. I'm sorry if you didn't notice it, but it was stated publicly, and no one said a word against it. So it was not bad form, it was not poor manners, and your request (especially with the wording used) was not entirely warranted.
Quote:
I don't have an issue answering questions by just about anyone (particularly moderators) however, this was handled particularly poorly and I was offended. If you absolutely need information from me then by all means shoot me a private message and I'll do my best to provide an answer. If, however, you do the internet equivelant of rapping my knuckles with a yard stick then I'm gonna get bitchy with you. That's just how I roll.
You're welcome to roll however you please. But your rolling, however it is done, does not change the fact that you are a writer here, and we are Mods. It does not change the fact that I was simply following established Mod protocol. Lastly, it does not change the fact that I am under no obligation to care how you roll. Take offense at that, if you must, but if you're going to speak "frankly", then I see no reason why I shouldn't. Show respect if you want to be given any.
Quote:
On to the whole point expenditures deal. It has never been required before and I fail to see how it all of a sudden has become a serious issue. I'm sorry if this sounds bitchy or snotty but until it's an offical rule in 200X then I am not going to waste my time re-building my characters. For the amount of time I actively spend here it's just not worth it.
The rebuilds I just provided above show why it's worth doing. Two out of three, and my counts don't match with the information provided on the character sheets. People make mistakes, Jason. Other people flat-out cheat. Hopefully, none of the latter will ever bother us here, but the former simply cannot be avoided. Therefore I asked for a Creation History.

As you can see from my above post, I went ahead and provided some for most of the characters on my list, simply to "save you guys the trouble". I would have done one for your characters as well, but you took yours down before I could.

The Bible did not specifically state that histories were required, and apparently the former Mods did not feel they were.

However, please take note of the fact that I am not any one of the previous Mods. Further, take note of the fact that the Bible has always made it clear that character sheets will be periodically audited. I do not pretend to know how the previous Mods intended to audit character sheets without point histories to refer to, but I, poor substitute that I am, do not know of a way to do so without them. Therefore I asked that you provide one. It was a simple request, there were (indeed, still are) plenty of good reasons for it, and it was no reason to become upset with me or anyone.

However, you've removed your characters, so I suppose this is all a moot point.

We've written up and reinserted the portions of the 200X Bible referring to the old 2010 forum. It now states clearly that rebooted characters from the 2010 forum are treated the same way as rebooted characters from 2018.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give you guys an update, so you know why I haven't been around for a while.

My schedule became incredibly busy sometime around the beginning of April, preventing me from logging on as often as I should have (a combination of birthdays, moving out of my old place and into a new one, visiting relatives, etc), but I had every intention of getting back into things here as soon as possible. Unfortunately, due in large part to an old injury that was apparently much more severe than I realized at the time, I've managed to damage my spine somewhat badly.

Basically, it seems that several of the discs in my back managed to become twisted in various - generally uncomfortable - directions. All of my lumbar vertabrae, and a couple of my thoracic vertabrea are now totally out of whack. This is apparently a result of the old injury I mentioned (sustained while working at a printing press in Alaska - don't ask) that had been just waiting for an excuse to lock up my entire back for most of a decade now. Aside from my spine now being skewed enough to have cost me a full two inches of height (!) and severely limiting my range of movement in the process, most of the nerves in my lower back are being pinched, which is causing constant muscle spasms throughout most of my back, shooting pains down both legs, and a general level of constant agony that I really don't appreciate at all.

I feel old and frail.

Anyway, I should be able to make a full recovery, though it will apparently be another couple of months before I'll be back to 'normal', and I'll have to be careful with my back from here on out, I guess (which really makes me feel old). For now, though, I'm in rather a lot of pain, and the only real relief for this is to prop my back and legs up and sit very, very still for basically the entire day. Any kind of movement tends to aggravate things, and this includes typing (like right now). They say that the PT excersizes I have to do are helping, but I have my doubts...

In any case, this is what's been keeping me away from here for the last couple of weeks, and will probably continue to keep me away for the next few. Typing just this post has been pretty taxing, so writing posts isn't something I'm physically prepaired to do right now. Additionally, and more personally, I've found that being rendered so unexpectedly and suddenly helpless like this has taken a lot of the pleasure out of reading/writing fictions about super-powered/supernatural people, as it seems to highlight my recently discovered frailty to a degree I find uncomfortable.

I hope that doesn't make me sound like a total idiot, but there it is.

I would like to get back to being active here soon, but for the time being don't expect to see me around much, ok? If the writers here at 200X feel the need to vote in a new Mod to replace me, that's fine, and I won't be in the least bit offended. You guys deserve someone who's going to be actively involved and - for the time being at least - that isn't me.

And with that I'm going to go sit perfectly still for the next several hours. Thanks for your understanding, and I'll see you guys when I see you.

Originally Posted By: Kazuo
I would like to get back to being active here soon, but for the time being don't expect to see me around much, ok? If the writers here at 200X feel the need to vote in a new Mod to replace me, that's fine, and I won't be in the least bit offended. You guys deserve someone who's going to be actively involved and - for the time being at least - that isn't me.

You worry about getting better. Trust me, there is nothing going on that Mala and I can't handle. It ain't proper to go replacing people just because they aren't feeling well.

We'll hold it down, just get well.

~Rev

Just letting everyone know, I was planning on starting a XWF/Havoc-In-Havana thread in a couple of weeks, open to anyone. Other than Jason having his fight, I have no plans on where it is going, but feel free to jump in.

Reading up on Havana in Year One, it seems that any Elite could have a reason to be there, as well, despite still being a dangerous place run by the cartels, it still attracts lots of tourists. A significant number of movies are made there, in addition to hosting the massive XWF event each year, which draws many celebrities, both in the seats and for 'celebrity deathmatches'.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know. With all the other games and characters, I've been pretty busy and haven't written anything for Daniel in a while. Just haven't had much inspiration for him. So, unless someone would like to draw him into a fiction at some point I'll consider him temporarily shelved.

• 2 weeks later...

Adrian,

Adrian Moss is not a Character within 200X. There is an account made for Everyman, if you wish to post with him, please use that account.

You have like, 20 characters named 'Adrian', could you at least not confuse people in this forum by using him here too?

It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Archived