Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 3: ______ Festivities

With a casual grace Kaori stepped into the room, ignoring the strangeness of what she just saw. She knelt before the table, setting a steaming pot upon a cloth. "The others have yet to return." She said in her typical monotone. She never even looked in her direction

Dressed in a simple white robe with the appearance of just having showered she was sitting down for a cup of tea. Without all of her normal attire on she almost looked like an average high school girl. It was a wonder why she always hid herself behind her art, every trying to remain unnoticed and left alone. "I have prepared tea. Have some if you wish."

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayami nearly sprinted back into the sanctuary of the well-lit house, kept back only by the sedate pace of her companion. She'd quickly changed into a house robe, taking a moment in the bathroom to scrub off the bits of dirt and leaves that had found purchase on her during their six hour walk, and then made her way back to the living room.

She sunk down at the table, shivering at the thought that some of their companions might not come back from the evening - and what Sayoko had said that would mean for all of them. "I'm sure they're....fine. It took a long time for us to find our demon, remember." She poured the others a cup of tea, then one for herself, relaxing into the ritual and comfortable motions. "Thank you for making the tea, Aoyama-san."

Sayoko had nodded as Galiana and Shinji returned first, with Tezara, it was to be expected. Then they left again hunting more demons, and she wondered how fast she could truly run.

Amara was next to return home, surrounded by her divine barrier. "I see you found your gift." She smiled reaching out and without touching it, turned the power off. "Now that you can activate it, we'll work on shutting it off. It's highly damaging to any who touch it, friend or foe."

Some time later Ayami and Kaori arrived. Sayoko smiled and sat with them wondering if Amara would join them. "You both did very well, three of the demons have been slain."

Anne arrives right behind Amara, first with a bit of a moan, then a quick look about hoping Kaori didn't see her in this sad state. Then the thought comes across... How am I going to fix this... predicament... and how am I gonna explain the scars... She thinks, a bit worried that pulling out the spikes in her would only bring on excessive bleeding.

"Bloody hell..." She grumbles, it hurt like hell too... "...could... take a... suggestion on a proper course... of care here."

"Three is not four." Kaori said quietly. "There are those among us who have either failed, or have left others to tend to their weaknesses." She poured some tea for those present, bowing politely to Ayami when she thanked her for making the drink. "It was no trouble."

Kaori could have leapt up and rushed to Anne's aid, but Anne had already taken issue with Kaori's ethics and insulted her integrity for the fisrt and only time she'd permit it. Self-sufficiency was quickly going to become Anne's warmest bed fellow. "Do not remove a spike unless you have a ready compress." Was all she offered.

This just re-enforced Anne's view of Kaori's lone-wolf nature. That and telling something Anne already knew and in her already agitated state... well... if she was in any better condition, she would have responded more... violently.

"Thanks... already... wagered that would be the case."

She limps over to where she set her first aid kit and sees she is... gonna need more compresses than what she had on hand. She rips off the sleeves of her flight suit, and starts looking about. "Well... looks like I... do this solo..."

She steels herself for more pain... it was gonna suck.

Medicine(Emergency Response) Roll
[Kamiko] 11:19 pm: Long: Cool.

[Kamiko] 11:20 pm: Making first aid roll.

[Kamiko] 11:21 pm: Medical(Emergency Response) Mind Check.

Kamiko *rolls* 2d6: 5+2+8: 15

[Kamiko] 11:21 pm: Witness?

[envoy] 11:21 pm: dead average.

[Kamiko] 11:21 pm: Will add to my latest post.

[Revenant] 11:21 pm: I saw nothing.

[Kamiko] 11:21 pm: Envoy: Don't say Dead, please!

[Long6] 11:22 pm: :evil:

Anne's hell, was just starting.

Amara kept one ear on her gaijin friend, but didn't intervene. She didn't know alot about medicine, but had enough of an idea to know an enthusiatic amauter was one of the worst things in the world for a delicate task. So for now, tea. And be ready to help if asked.

"The tea smells wonderful, Aoyama-San," she offered to the other two girls as she settled down at the table, sounding happy still, a gleam in her eyes, "I take it your... foe was less of a problem then Aceworth-San's and mine?"

Post battle glow, she still wasn't ready to call these things demons all the time. There had to be a better name for them. Something more precise, more knowable. A defined foe was a beaten one, a problem ready to solved. And now she had the chisel and hammer to start cracking at it.

"Less of a problem? No." Kaori said simply, letting the point of fact that they were already home, washed, and making tea safe and uninjured testify for itself. If the woman possessed a shred of humility, none of it could be found in that phrase. Indeed, she seemed to deliver everything with such an arrogant matter-of-factness that if she would have just leapt up and screamed 'I think I'm better than all of you!', it would have been more subtle than half of what passed her lips in the cold monotone of her voice.

Then she was back to being the polite and kind Kaori, just like that. Sure, no expression appeared on her face, but she prepared tea for everyone and proceeded to procure some form of a snack for when others returned. She slid Amara a saucer and some tea. "You are welcome to join us." She even poured some for Anne, if she didn't bleed to death first.

Anne stayed silent. She knew saying anything right now would just continue the fight and she needed to concentrate. The tea would be welcome, could help in replenishing the blood, but right now Anne just wished Kaori would just shut the hell up. The look on Anne's face was one of lost patience, pain, and the satisfaction that she indeed got back safely. She just wished her defenses matched her offense. There was no humiliation in Anne's condition. She earned her victory.

[Long6] 9:39 pm: you don't need to wait for me in shadows
[Kamiko] 9:40 pm: oh? ok.... just wasn't sure what that medicine check did for me.
[Long6] 9:41 pm: about 10 hp and stabilized you
[Long6] 9:41 pm: you won't bleed to death

HP: 27/105, EP: 105/120[/code]

Anne seemed a old pro at this as she took care of the wounds. Anne worked through the pain. She knew her well-being would depend on her getting through the momentary agony.

"Alright... That's as good as I can get... at least without an emergency room."

"Although if we have more training like this..."

Suddenly, there was, at least for a moment, a realization of her own mortality.

Ayami blanched at the sight of Aceworth-san's wound, realizing just how lucky she and Ayoma-san had been in their own encounter. She pulled out her mirror and traced her fingers over the intricate designs along the outside. So, is there anything you can do about that?

No, there isn't.....but you can.

Ayami blinked and frowned at the mirror. Me? What do you mean?

Look inside yourself. There is a brightness there, a small spark taken from the greatest light in the world.

Ayami blinked again but managed to cut off the disparaging thoughts before they got past the first syllable; instead she took a deep breath and did as she was told. It took a moment, but she found...something. She tried to catch it, but it slipped away at first. It took several tries before she was able to....not hold it, but be inside it somehow. She felt warmth spread through her and directed it towards the British gaijin.

To everyone else Ayami was simply holding her mirror, looking confused (a fairly normal state for her at this point); then her hair began to glow, washing out from her black tresses to a radiating pure white. Anne felt heat wash over her body, reminding her of summer days spent swimming and doing ocean training. The wounds that had peppered her body began healing, all but the deepest disappearing completely and even those now down to small scabs and pink-on-tan skin that would leave no scars after the next few days.

Ayami's eyes widened and she smiled at Aceworth-san. Uwe! I did that?

Mechanics
Holy Flux Roll

Malachite *rolls* 2d6: 5+5+7: 17

[Malachite] 9:52 pm: Witness?

[Asarasa] 9:52 pm: Witnessed

7 Levels of Healing

+70 HP putting Anne at 92/105

Anne blinked for a moment. "You're incredible, Ayami!" She said with a smile, hugging her. Then the soreness was still present. "Ow ow ow..."

"But really, you are incredible, you know that, right?"

She breathed a sigh of relief as she sipped her tea for the first time. "Alright. Still some damage to the paint job, but seems I'm okay thanks to Ayami."

Anne discovers she really did have incredible allies. She looked down at the damaged legs and the torn sleeves of her flightsuit. "Damn... looks like I gotta change into the clothes Sayoko provided us after all. Didn't want to impinge on her hospitality..."

She turns and looks over to Kaori again. "We drew the nasty card, Kaori. We took a beating for it as well, in fact I owe Amara my life. Well that and the well placed final blow I gave that thing with a shot to a weak point she made in it's armor. We were a well oiled machine. Injured or not. I'm sure you had similar results from your teamwork, no?"

"What is important is we made it. Let's hope our luck holds out."

The memory of the deep pain her wounds had still resonated in her. She realized this war was for keeps. Her blood was shed and she got her payback with Amara's help. She could just imagine how well the whole group could do if they all united in their efforts... It would take a major-league demon to stop a united squad.

"We sure can use some."

choof

The front door of the cottage burst open, and Sachiko marched in, already making a V sign with her right hand.

"WIN!" she shouted, then preened, chin held high and shoulder straight. The effect of that proud pose was somewhat ruined by what a wreck she was. First, her clothes were shredded. Her underwear provided a bare minimum of modesty, but her outerwear was either gone or in ragged tatters. This did not seem to faze her an iota.

Whatever had done that to her clothes had gone on to her body too though, because her skin was crisscrossed with random intersecting lines, like she'd gone rolling happily around in a field of razorwire, or dived into a swimming pool full of knives. None of the cuts were especially deep, but there were a LOT of them, all over her.

On her forearm was a very thin, fragile looking 'shield' made of overlapping shiny metal plates that were centered over her wrist.

She grinned broadly as she surveyed the others. "Boy, you guys are a mess. Those spiders must have really worked you over. Did you get them all? If you need any help I'm available because MY demon is completely dead now."

"You're the last one to kill a monster," pointed out the Yakuza heiress from the table, tea cup in hand, bloodied but victorious, "But excelent to hear. I wasn't looking forward to being destroyed come sunrise."

Amara's tone lacked venom, honest relief lighting her expression, albeit one that dimmed slightly as she glanced at their hostess, "So. What's next?"

Ayami started at Sachiko's boistrous entrance, and then blushed at the girl's state of undress. She sprinted up, going to the first guest room nearest the living room and grabbing the bathrobe and basket of toiletries left there by Sayoko (she assumed). When she got back to the living room, she offered the robe to Sachiko and murmured, "I can help with the cuts after your bath, if you would like, Sachiko-chan."

She could feel a happy, satisfied hum from her mirror even though it was safely ensconced in her purse across the room.

"Cuts? Badges of honor!" Sachiko declaimed, then suddenly cringed and yelped, "Owww!" when Ayami pressed the bathrobe up to her. "Okay, yeah...a bath would be good. A bath of victory!"

She took the basket and robe...rather gingerly...and started trying to get the shield to turn off.

As an afterthought she added, "Oh, also, you may have killed your demon first, Amara, but we killed ours stylishly, and this was a style contest so we still win."

Her watch clicked, and announced, "Resuming utility mode." The metal plates scissored back together and slid back into the watch's housing...which was far too small to contain them. Sachiko nodded, satisfied, and headed off to the baths.

A moment later an anguished howl ripped through the air, "STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS!!!"

Then splashing noises signaled the bath had commenced.

"Galiana killed that demon." Shinji retorted as he came in. "In fact, Sachiko and Kohaku's got away from them, and they weren't in such a good position. So yes, Gali and I got ours before helping the Trouble Two out." Shinji looked a mite sweaty, but untouched in fact.

He found a chair, and slumped down in it. "So... made it. Worth a start."

Sayoko nodded, "well for now, you are free to sleep. I recommend you do so for at least four hours." At noon, I will rouse you all, for a meal, and then afternoon training, before I send you out again."

She looked to Sachiko. "You should both be thankful to Galiana and Shinji, had she not come along, you could have potentially failed, due to your inability to work together with Kohaku."

"Galiana will suffer most for this, but she knew what she was doing."

Sachiko looks up from where she's wincing and trying to scrub her arm, genuinely startled to see that Sayoko has apparently come all the way over to the baths just to berate her.

"What are you talking about? We did great. I hit it with my watch, and Kohaku punched it, and it ran away. We'd have caught up to it just fine but Galiana showed up and she can run faster as a cat. That's all. Are there more clothes here? Mine got kind of wrecked."

"Where is the camera-kid?"

Galiana had come in silently, her padded feet making little noise on the ground. When she'd had a moment to look around the room, she'd realized that they were not all whole. Someone was missing, even though she still didn't know his name.

Anne stretched out. "Well since the four Demons are now KIA, perhaps I should go on a search for Kohaku. I still got a little pent-up energy to spare... scratch that, a lot, and I can assess the reason why he's not getting back like the rest."

She leaned against a wall. "Then I need a shower, the smell of my own blood disturbs me. Probably Gali too since... she probably has a whole nose-full of it."

Anne was keeping semi-close to Sayoko. To her, she was in command, and it was her rules here. If she says no or yes, that's the final word.

Kohaku came in, or try to come into a back way, if there was one. He did not want to hear the arguing going on. He knew odds were that he was going to get it, some way or another. He did not want to be in, and just go to sleep. He tried to do that outside, but for some reason or antoher felt uncomfortable there.

Kohaku looked half dead. He was dirty with some remaining signs of webbing on his body. His eyes were dull looking. Signs of him being tired. His hair was a mess with dirt on it. Kohaku body ache from the blows he got. He was piss off at a paticular someone still, but did not have the energy to really do anything about it at the time. He just want to go to bed and sleep for a long time.

"Kohaku!"

Anne runs over, examining him. "Damn, boy... you really did it to yourself there."

She knew she really shouldn't just start working on him, particularly not knowing what sort of injuries he's suffered. "If you want... I can help you get cleaned up. I... think we all could use that, honestly."

She scratched her head. "Not the help doing so, I mean getting clean...." She says, with a nervous smile and giggle.

Kohaku sigh softly. He did not expect to get caught so early. He did not like the fact things weren't going his way tonight. Then again this maybe a sign that they were not so argumentative right now. He looks at Anne and says.

"I can probably get myself clean. Plus I don't want to bother you or the group with my own problems. I am more concern if I have any serious injuries which could hiner others. Other then that I hope that I can take care of myself. Do any of you have any medical experience?" He asked.

After saying that Kohaku goes to look at the group. He wanted to see if he could get a glipse of what they though of him by their expressions. He noticed that he was the last one here if he persume the... well the girl for now, went to get on some new clothing, that he was the last one in. In that case he probably was going to get the most ass chewing when a review was done. That's if one was done by their boss, and if so he figure it would be soon.

"Well, I got some emergency first aid training... had to use some of that myself before I got some help."

She kept Ayami's healing ability a secret, not as a hinderance to Kohaku, but not to put a burden on her. Kohaku seemed less injured than Anne was.

"The way you look right now outside of some ice and some cleaning of your injuries you seem okay. Nothing some rest and a hot shower won't hurt either."

She smiled. Knowing that Kohaku seems to have gone through a severe trauma, reminds her that perhaps all that is needed after a near-mortal battle is a friendly face and a caring heart.

"I hope that's just the case. Never really got into any serious confrontations. I'll take your advise and get some ice and clean my wounds if there area any areas that are bleeding." Kohaku said. He also was not in the mood to say how he got most of his wounds. He did not want to cause confrontation now. Plus they already think he was somewhat of a pervert, he did not want them to think he was a liar as well.

"Are the bath's or showers to this place open or is someone in there? If someone in it then I can wait. You guys deserve it more then me if the chance comes up, in the fact you all kicked more ass then me sense." he asked. He did not know if they were or were not open. Plus he just wanted to relax more then anything.

The break he took to catch his breath did not help him much anyways. Plus the fact he also walked all the way back here, an fact he did not tell anyone, did not help his attitude or condition. Kohaku wanted to reflect on what he did tonight. Plus the fact that he could not help anyone else kind of embarass him more then anything else. He listens in on what the others were saying.

"This isn't a contest, Kohaku. Fight to survive, get the prize to live another day if you win. Simple as that."

She sighed... was Kaori's philosophy starting to infect or effect others?

"Just take care of yourself now, this is the best time. You look like you need time to clear your head."

"That is a straight fact if I ever heard one. Then again is that not life for most people. You either survive or you don't. No inbetweens.... well at least that's the case for most people, and I would not advise trying to do so. Not much of a life that way, trust me I seen enought cases to know that's true." Kohaku said in a simple kind tone.

"I probably also need to clear my head. Thinking too often does cause lapse in judgement when otherwise needed. Thanks for the talk and see you later. I am going to get myself clean." Kohaku said as he goes to leave.

"One thing... our old lives are over, Kohaku. Something we have to accept."

She shook her head. "Dammit now I'm starting to sound like Kaori..." She whispered.

"Just let me know when the bathroom is open so I can clean up too, okay? I'm going to get some new clothes from my room so they're ready when I'm done."

Sayoko just gave Sachi a glower and left the room, leaving her to sigh and keep scrubbing. Within a few minutes she was soaking it off, for all the world seeming to have forgotten she wasn't at some day spa, without a care in the world. If not for the largely scabbed-over cuts all over her, she wouldn't seem out of place at one either.

The sound of people talking, and a sudden rumble from her stomach raised her from her contented rest. What were they saying? More importantly, what was for dinner? Questions like these demanded answers, and Sachiko the Intrepid Reporter was just the one to get them!

In a flash she was out of the bath and bundling into a robe a full size too big after having hastily towled off. She hurried out to do some hard-hitting investigative journaling, water still dripping from the ends of her completely messed up hair, and bare feet splapping on the floor, leaving little watery footprints behind as she went.

"The people have a right to know!" Sachiko announced as she burst in, bathrobe loosely tied at her waist and somehow not quite falling open, though clearly in dire danger of it. "Do you deny that you know what is for dinner? My readers want to know what it is, how it is prepared, and most of all, when it will be ready! Do you have anything to say about that?!"

Kohaku was annoyed at Sachiko actions. It reminded so much of his stint in a paticular club. Yet it was funny. He did not care about poking at her right now. He was tempted to pull off the towel she had on. That would cause some responses. Most were be direct at him and most unpleasant for him. The others would most likely be towards Sachiko and helping her out.

Reason won over Kohaku more darker desires. He also had cleaning to do. Hopefully this won't take long. Kohaku only problem was that he did not have any new clothing to put on so he would also have to clean the clothing he had with him. They were slightly tattered but still somewhat useful. He just hope that it lasted the whole training period.

Kohaku goes into the bathroom and looks around seeing what he could use. It took some time for him to clean himself. He was more into relaxing and getting the pain out of his body then actually cleaning. Once he clean himself he went to do that for his clothing as best he could. After that he got dress and came out of the bathroom announcing that he was done. Kohaku headed towards bed. He wanted to sleep.

Rebecca's bath was of reasonable length punctuated by the occasional whimper as her washcloth hit a bruise or sore spot. After getting on a set of clothes that Sachiko provided, she knew she was gonna sleep... hard. It was going to be a long, arduous day tomorrow, and she wasn't sure right now if at this pace she'd survive more than a couple days.

The were-cat relaxed when Kohaku arrived; she’d honestly been worried about him when she realized he’d been missing. That relaxation fled the instant Sachiko bound out of the bath, demanding answers. “Oh, for fuck’s sake,” Galiana mumbled in Spanish. Heaving a deep sigh, she dragged her tired body over to the chair nearest the fire. With a massive yawn that showed off her strong, white teeth, she curled up on the cushion and promptly passed out.

Sayoko looked at Sachiko, even as she was heading for her room. "I had miso soup and roasted rabbit. There is none left." She chuckled to be fair, it would be breakfast, as it's almost five am, now. Fix what you like but be mindful. What we have is all we have, so make it last. There is plenty of game to hunt for meats, but everything else is limited."

She entered her room and shut the door behind her, tired, and ready to sleep.

Everyone was left to do as they would, until noon, as she'd said, when their day training would begin.

(10cp)

Archived