Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 3: ______ Festivities

The subject of their inquiry entered without knocking, pausing at the homemaking sight before her. Mismatched eyes studied the room before Gali closed the door, her manner wary. “What is Kaori doing here?”

“She fought last night too.” Anne was being helpful, in between bites of delicious breakfast.

Galiana stared at Kaori for a beat before deciding it was completely probable that Kaori had done exactly that. The girl gave off a menacing aura – not that Gali was scared of her. But she believed, completely, that Kaori perfectly capable of fighting demons. “Is there enough food for me?” she asked, turning to the matters of true importance as she sat down at the table.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shinji had headed home eventually, with Tezara as company during that dangerous night, only dismissing her once they were safely near Shinji's home. It was an painful thought - slinking back into the house and into bed - feeling a kind of survivor's guilt that others suffered while he did not, and his parents were right there and soundly alive... for now.

That and it wasn't himself the reason he'd been asked to help... it was Tezara really. It all contributed to give him a rough night. In the morning, he nudged off the twisted up sheets and dressed, making sure to have his necklace on - before leaving a note for his parents and heading for Sachiko's.

When he arrived, he knocked on the door and politely waited, dark lines under his eyes from tiredness.

Anne snapped to. "I'll get that, Kaori."

She walked over and opens the door. "Ok, it's Shinji, guys... come on in... just in time for breakfast."

Anne smiled as she headed back to the table, making sure her belongings were somewhere close. "I think almost everyone is here." She said, noting even the quiet Kohaku.

"I think we'd better eat up while we can."

"There certainly is." Kaori said softly, her monotone sounding near robotic. She set down her chopsticks and collected together a tray for Galiana and then politely presented it to her.

Once Shinji and Anne returned Kaori, who had returned to her eating, halted again. "To answer your question, Anne, Onimaru allows me to fight the demons. As legend has it, the blade was forged in the Shadows and thus, is a part of their realm. An heirloom passed down for generations among my family I had no idea its true power until last night."

Shinji, in his tired state, only briefly glanced at Kaori, dimly a portion of his mind recorded her words and thus determined she was here for the same reason they were. Then he noticed the food, and his eyes lit up with the first real sign of animation the others noticed this morning.

Grabbing a spoon, he dipped into a spare bowl of miso soup, using the warm liquid to ignite his mental engines. "Praise be to the chef. Sorry, rough night, morning all." He went back to soup consuming, this stuff was good.

Sachiko's eyes widened comically at the repast placed before her. Her first bite was not so much a 'bite' as much as it was a yawning open of her mouth while her hands and arms turned into little blurs and the food somehow vanished. But the expression on her face when the meal was done was one of the kind of bliss normally experienced only by cats resting in sunbeams, or babies in their mother's arms. Someone who had not a care in the world, who was warm and safe and fed and happy.

"This is so good! Thanks, Kaori!"

Somewhat astonishingly, for anyone who knew her, she then took her tray into the kitchen to wash up her dishes.

It wasn't until Shinji came in that she returned from the kitchen to flop happily onto the sofa in the living room that adjoined the dining area.

"Sayoko said Anne and Galiana had..." she trailed off, a little frown crinkling her forehead as she tried to remember. "Wait, no. She said we ALL had powers, and Anne said she could fly and shoot something. Galiana...oh hey Galiana...we actually SAW what she does. And we're supposed to have some kind of weapon or thing that'll help us fight."

Sachiko yawned and stretched, seeming in danger momentarily of falling back asleep. Then she sat up.

"Oh hell, where did all the other kids go?! They were right here last night!"

"Yes..." Anne said after taking her first few mouthfuls of succulent normalcy. "Sachiko's right... each one of us got something to bring to the table."

She pulls back the sleeve of her blazer to reveal the black lacquer like wristbands she had. "These allow me to what it seems like to control some form of energy. Both as an attack, and as a shield. From what I was told from family legend, these bands were made out of 'star metal' many, many generations ago. As for me personally... I can fly."

She actually let that set in for herself before smiling. "From what I have been told, the first born daughter of the family develops this gift. It's been known since my Great Grandmother on my Father's side."

She took another bite.

"We kept it secret, I heard of this through my aunt after I saved her from drowning during a family outing. She was knocked out cold until she was in my hands and being fished out. My mother and father still do not know, although these bands used to be My Mother's before she joined the Royal Navy as a SAR helicopter pilot."

Raising an eyebrow she takes a sip of milk. "I never thought I would be using my powers gifted to me like this though."

As Amara stepped back from her father, Ayami tentatively asked, "Could we go over there?" She gestured towards the back part of the house where Amara knew there was a small private dojo.

"Of course," answered Amara as she led the way, "If your instincts tell it's that way, your mirror should be able to find it more exactly, right?"

She was finding it harder to care despite her anger, the little flicker of hope that her Mother was only missing after all ebbing under the pressure of what had happened to her home and Father. If the demons could do so much to her home, defended as it was, how abandoned had they been by those that could stop this? Did they even care?

Finally Amara and Ayame ended up in the small private dojo, Where the family relics were laid out. There were suits of armor, ancient scrolls, Swords that were centuries old, and a single bokken, carved of an unidentified wood, that seemed to radiate spiritual energy.

Closer examination revealed to Ayame at least, the crest of Susano-o no Mikoto. It looked as if it were inscribed with lightning itself, and the bokken looked as if it had the heft of a true weapon.

Amara's father had curiously followed them. "I found that bokken the day Amara was born. It was in a small antique shop. The owner told me it had a story behind it, that would only reveal itself to the one worthy of bearing it. I knew it was old, and he asked a relative pttance for it, I bought it."

He shook his head. "I'd virtually forgotten it until now, I always wondered where it got to."

"You can," Kaori's expressionless face managed a quirked brow. "...fly?"

Demons and magical blades seemed completely in feasible in the plane of Kaori's thoughts but it appeared the possibility of flying people was a bit far fetched. "So, all of you have 'powers'?"

"Well, as far as I know my ability is psychic in nature, as for the bands... outside of the storys I've heard, there is no real tangible evidence of their origin."

She sighs.

"All the questions, and no answers yet to be found and the blood of our classmates has been scattered outside. This is to my assessment... not a good start for us. Hopefully once Sayoko is ready, we can move forward and perhaps have a victory instead of a siege."

"Wait... Contract? With whom?"

Shinji rolled his eyes at Sachiko. "I'm not sure what we would do precisely, so I'll pass." Then others started bombarding him with questions - and he threw his hands up, the chopsticks clinking down onto the box where he'd dropped them.

"I'm not going into the whole story right now. Those of you who saw Tezara last night, the contract's with her. And it doesn't count, because she has the powers, not me."

"Power is not alluring to pure minds." Kaori spoke, her tone inflecting that Sachiko and Shinji should count themselves lucky. "I sense there will be more fighting, you two are most fortunate that you'll not know what it feels like to have to fight. I haven't any power either. My power rests within Onimaru, without it, I would be unable to fend off the darkness."

She glanced at Shinji, lowering her head in compliance. "If it is your wish to keep your business to yourself, then we will of course respect that wish."

"Well, you can rest safe with me, Kaori... these powers I really do not have any desire to use outside of a greater good."

She continues her meal. "There are six souls we have lost last night. If I can, I will defeat all I can in their name. But only if such a gesture is not in vain. We're too green, and Sayoko was right to keep us back. We're no where near ready for the battlefield yet."

"Not sure about you, Kaori." She said, smiling. "You seem to be quite adept compared to us."

Amara's father had curiously followed them. "I found that bokken the day Amara was born. It was in a small antique shop. The owner told me it had a story behind it, that would only reveal itself to the one worthy of bearing it. I knew it was old, and he asked a relative pttance for it, I bought it."

He shook his head. "I'd virtually forgotten it until now, I always wondered where it got to."

Expression a mask of forced calmness, Amara went over and went to heft the weapon, identical in almost every way to the other bokkens she had trained with in this very room. She sucked in a breath and picked it, bracing inside for... something that never really came. No fireworks. No voice from the Kami themselves revealing secrets of the universe. The weapon did feel... right, familar in some strange fashion. Well balanced even. But nothing to imediately proclaim it the bane all things evil more than a gun or a stout baseball bat.

The Yakuza heiress felt foolish, exhaling out her frustrations as she gave it a few test chops and thrusts right then and there, no swordwoman but clearly trained in the basics of a blunt weapon, trying to get it to do something, to show itself as a means to save or avenge her Mother and all her Father's lost men.

“I killed two and was injured doing so.” The words were said with little inflection, and if two didn’t sound quite as good as seven, it didn’t seem to matter to her. At Kaori’s appraising glance, seeking injuries, Galiana added, “I heal quickly.” She glanced at Sachiko before shrugging. “You didn’t see me fight, so I’m not sure why you think I’m awesome. I mean… I am, but you wouldn’t know that.”

It was an astounding change from the quiet girl in class. No longer tormented by the need for silence and secrecy, her personality was starting to come out. And unsurprisingly, it was a personality strongly shaped by her feline nature.

“No one ever choked to death swallowing their pride” The sword maiden said softly. Gali knew she meant it for her as Kaori self-discipline and capacity for expecting others to display her measure of restraint was neigh-legendary. It was doubtful if Kaori had a single arrogant bone in her body, so it was always difficult to get angry or frustrated with her, but her preaching sometimes got intolerable. "You felled two? That's excellent news. You showed great bravery, Galiana."

It was obvious she still wasn't quite able to grasp the cat form idea (again, demons and magical swords didn't phase her, but shape shifters and flying seemed ludicrous). I will welcome another warrior at my side for the battles ahead, you and this 'Awesome' you become." It was apparent that Kaori, who was not really up to snuff on slang terminology to begin with, was under the assumption that when Gali shifted, her name became 'Awesome'.

"Susano-o no Mikoto...," Ayami said reverently and barely above a whisper; Amara's father arched a brow at the shy young woman. "It has His crest....you...you can't see it?" When he shook his head, Ayami seemed to pull in on herself even more so, looking embarrassed. "Perhaps I am just still tired," she mumbled.

She watched Amara chop away a phantom enemies, feeling awkward and foolish and very much out of her depth. Then she remembered the mirror - that showed the truth of things, according to Sayoko. She pulled it out of her satchel, stepping forward once Amara had vented her frustration on the air, and held it up so they could both see the bokken in the reflection.

Th bokken was Lightning itself in the reflection, a weapon for striking down the darkness, terrifying in power, shadows fled before it, and it's pommel was slicked with blood. The sword was powerful, it was dangerous, but only in the right hands, against the right foe, would it be so.

"Is that it then?" Amara's father couldn't see the reflection. Indeed, he showed somewhat less concern than would be expected. "Do you have everything else you need before you go back?"

Glancing between the reflection and it's aparently mundane source, Amara, inhaled, looked up, and then looked back at the blade again. Fine. She'd have faith in it's and her 'hidden potential', whatever that actually was, however much it could actually help. In the meantime, she'd wait and listen and learn enough to share something of importance when the time came. There had to be something everyone outside of a handful of teenagers could do, right?

The Yakuza heiress almost missed her Father's question, his strange nonchalance. He should have been bundling her away to a fortified location. He should have been telling her this was not 'a woman's work'. But... He wasn't. and it was worrying. She gave her Father a look that screamed 'I don't have time now, but there will be questions later'.

"I... The mirror says this is it, and I'm going to change into something more suitable than a party dress, but... Yes. I'll call home well-before sunset if I can't find somewhere safe to stay and need a ride home, Father. I... Stay safe. Please," she spoke aloud, eyes suddenly downcast as she busied herself finding the bokken's sheath as a means to divert heself from dragging him into another hug she wasn't quite sure she felt she coudl volunartily end.

Shinji looked up from his polished off food as Ayami and Amara returned. His mood had been improved a little by the good cusine, and smiled, thinly as it was. "Glad to see you've made it. That's everyone." He paused before correcting himself. "Except our would-be instructor."

“No one ever choked to death swallowing their pride” The sword maiden said softly. Gali knew she meant it for her as Kaori self-discipline and capacity for expecting others to display her measure of restraint was neigh-legendary. It was doubtful if Kaori had a single arrogant bone in her body, so it was always difficult to get angry or frustrated with her, but her preaching sometimes got intolerable. "You felled two? That's excellent news. You showed great bravery, Galiana."

It was obvious she still wasn't quite able to grasp the cat form idea (again, demons and magical swords didn't phase her, but shape shifters and flying seemed ludicrous). I will welcome another warrior at my side for the battles ahead, you and this 'Awesome' you become." It was apparent that Kaori, who was not really up to snuff on slang terminology to begin with, was under the assumption that when Gali shifted, her name became 'Awesome'.

Gali shrugged at the comment about bravery; courage wasn't something that troubled cats very much. It was simple: either Gali thought she could defeat an enemy, so she fought, or she didn't think she could, and she ran. Prudence and survival was more likely to motivate the sometimes-furry high school student than any sense of overcoming fear. "They attacked me. Now they are dead. It is of no import to either of us."

When she realized Kaori's misconception, Gali sighed. It was really hard to be recognized as superb when your admirers refused to follow what you were saying about being so incredible. In fact, Kaori took the fun right out of boasting.

Anne steepled her fingers, staring absently at the table.

"Taro..." She whispered, some could swear there was a growing sorrow in her voice. She did her best to hide her tears, although she wasn't very good at deception. She could barely get things by her folks, and that was because they were so busy.

She sighed and looked up, her confidence flagging. "Dammit... guys... you realize what we are about to get into, don't you?"

"We're about to get into a fight that no ordinary person can even have a hope of undertaking and there is no guarantee we'll be alive to see the next morning... you guys do know that, correct?"

A yawn sounded from the doorway to the rest of the house, a recently roused Sayoko stood there. "Much better."

She looked to Anne. "I think everyone realizes in part what is being asked of you, and how unprepared you currently are for it."

Kaori instantly recognized her voice as the one she heard in her head. "Now that I've got you all here I guess it's time we start training. We'll be training for a full month's time. I reserved a location for us for that long, no more."

When they all stared at her, she sighed. "Right. you have no idea what I'm discussing. Suffice it to say I have a place where we can train for thirty days, in the span of 12 hours in the real world. Lodging and sustenence are going to be provided for you, but it will only be those of you there for this."

Does anyone have any questions before I take us there, or need to get anything together?"

Anne blinks, looks at her bands, then blinks again.

"What?"

Her mind was blown. 30 days in 12 hours?

"What sort of Time-Lord shenanigans are we about to be exposed to, here?"

In a way, she was about to go full-throttle on this. If this was physically possible, this was... amazing. she forgot her sorrow and had the look. Like she was about to jump out of a perfectly good plane for no other reason than she could do it.

"Bloody hell, you only live once... what's the curriculum, Sayoko?"

"I have no mind. A move away from here might take things off my mind. Plus it's better then standing here and doing nothing." Kohaku said. He was bored more so then the others. He did not know if he could relate to them. Even more so if he could be in a team.

He had always problems with connecting with people. Even with the relationships he had have, they for the most part always ended badly. He wonder if he could ever had a normal life, or friends. Even deeper he desire an companion that would be with him always. Yet he knew those things would never be his. Especially with things now as they are.

His eyes were focus, watching the others. He looked at each of their expressions and styles. He knew most must have figured him a mad man. He could not blame them. Even he doubts that they will warm up to him any time soon. Still he just hope that the training will help him.

Anne expected something more mystical in origin.

"Sachiko, I don't think we would be able to have any contact with the outside world. No phones, no wireless, no power. Completely off the grid. Unless this is more of a technological construct which means this is actually some alien invasion and we're going to be inside some sort of temporal tesseract."

"Sorry, i do indulge in some science fiction from time to time."

"And Kohaku... loosen up a little. we're all in this together."

Archived