Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - OOC: Discussions

Krul

well it's all very preliminary now, as I have yet to delve too deep into the adaptation...as I wasn't sure which tack we'd take.

If you like I can send you all the info, background, his original character sheet and links to a few choice IC threads.

That would be a start, and then I can start researching your setting a bit more and see how he would fit in.

Sound good?

Oh...and on one hand, I like the idea of making him older. On the other hand, one of the best things about the original character was the Prime/Captain Marvel inspirations for him...the juxtaposition of the coming of age along with the super-facade.

If you don't mind I'd like to mull that over for awhile before deciding, and of course, your input is required...

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, Alex needs to add Sanctum 6 - Sanctum Sanatorium (The Primus) to her sheet.. you built it yourself in game using your own powers, so no need to spend xp for it, as a background I'll let you have it for free... though everyone else uses it, the Primus is hers first and foremost, sense she built it and knows it better then anyone else.

Yes, if anyone has questions about Tahir or would like to do something with him, please ask me or Krul first. I put his information out ICly as a courtesy to Krul, so he wouldn't have to dig for his information, not so that people can use it to manipulate things to make sure the information about Tahir or the Primal Lands gets made IC. I know I make cool toys you all want to play with, but give me a chance to reveal things all in good time. ^_^

Courier, if Warren was suspicious enough to ping the room or use a power, I'd appreciate if you'd repost that post. Something like a node ping is something that all novas can feel. You shouldn't yank the post just because it didn't give you the IC information you wanted.

Mostly - to Pip it's the blue eyes - unless being dormed down means the eyes are back to a more natural color. Beyond that she's mostly just noticing that it's exceptionally calm for all the people around - something no normal Lion would be without some power being used on it or it being something different. Even a hand raised lion would not act like he's been acting. So Pip's a bit curious, but that's natural.

Yes, Tahir's eyes are naturally blue; his mother's line has a dominant gene for the color that passes on to approximately half her cubs.

LL, I understand what you're saying. My first request was just asking people not to make assumptions about things related to my character. Tahir's character sheet lists his dormancy; it's not unreasonable that he might be dormed to hide his true nature. I just ask that people ask rather than assume, particularly if they're curious. :D

My second point was that if a post went up, even if the ping or power didn't work, it shouldn't be redacted by the player. Yes, it should be edited to fit things, but even if it's just Warren mulling over the unusual creature and trying a ping that doesn't work, it's still an interesting post. The reaction of "oh, my ping (or power) won't work, so I really didn't do it" is metagaming. It's the same thing as taking a swing at someone, realizing that you couldn't hurt him and retracting the post as if it hadn't occurred because you might lose the fight.

I reread my post and noticed I was a little overt - so I edited some to fix that. Since it was all internal it shouldn't change much. Mostly Pip was being cautions around a big cat. She's had enough experience to understand there are certain safety procedures when dealing with wild animals. She's a bit curious that such procedures don't seem to be needed here. Granted, to her mind she instantly jumps to 'Morrigan uses a power to control it' - if she thought about it longer she might come up with 'it's a nova who can shapeshift' - she has no basis to even consider the truth of it.

I'm with Dawn here, I've allowed a little bit of leeway in this area, mostly because of extremely high Mega-Intelligence, but even that takes time, Alexandra is the only one of you who would certainly be able to infer something is unusual about the lion after a few minutes of observation, but she is one of the few beings alive who's Intelligence is that high, and even she would take a few minutes of watching it, the rest of you should take a bit longer.

Mega-Perception might also help in that area, but you also have to have some degree of basic knowledge there is something unusual about it's behavior (at least a dot Science, Survival or Academics for just the basic knowledge), Quantum Attunement is the only thing that would let you get a feel for a nova's presence without using your node to ping the area so speak, and dormancy 5 even returns a baseline signature to that.. you need to ping them to get the chance in the roll off (Node verses Dormancy) to detect a dormant node.

Actually, I have a request for the future, to .. if your using Perception enhancements, unless they are always on (or body modifications like Enhanced Vomeronasal Organs), please indicate it in a spoiler text, for that matter, please do that for all activated enhancements in the future, to reduce the issue of metagaming or my wondering what sorts of things your seeing/detecting.

And, don't forget, you can take most enhancements a second time to make them always on at no quantum cost, with the exception of direct combat related ones, many of those become unbalanced without a quantum cost, ask me first if your uncertain.

So - there's a lion - a real lion - following along through a house with a bunch of unknown people - completely calm and without any leads or training aids or other indications that anyone is encouraging it's behavior at all - and not only does it not make any sounds, any challenging behavior or animal like actions - but it also flops down and relaxes in front of the same group of stranger that to animal senses should seem unnatural and/or dangerous [sorry - but Pip should smell like a predator and what animal wouldn't react to walking metal?] - and we arn't going to notice there's something odd about it? I don't train animals but I've been around enough cats, enough wild animals, and enough trained wild animals that I would be freaked by it. And I don't have any of the stats/mega stat Pip has.

I'm sorry - I will remove stuff from my post if you would like. I just don't think it's unreasonable for us to notice something is different - even if we don't know what.

I'm not saying you wouldn't know that the lion is acting unusual, and that it should be acting differently, but noticing the lion itself is unusual not in behavior but in nature would require more time, or using other abilities, there are other more obvious answers (even if they a wrong) that should occur first, making that sudden leap, is what I am talking about. (To be honest I forgot about pip smelling like a tiger, that is a somewhat valid point, a wild animal should react to that)

Besides training an animal, a nova has other options, Animal/Nature Mastery comes to mind, which Epiphany even has... now, if she were to use that power to touch the lion and make herself known, she'd almost certainly know something was up, but that's what I mean.

All of that said, I have no issues with your post or the inference that she's developed from it to this point.

The reaction of "oh, my ping (or power) won't work, so I really didn't do it" is metagaming.

I have pointed my gun at a target, stopped, and asked the GM if I had any chance of hurting it. When he said no, I turned and ran. Then again, that was an in character assessment of my chances, and I never rolled or even declared the attack, nor did I say that I hadn't pointed my gun at the Leviathan before realizing the futility of pistol vs. Leviathan.

That's fine, actually, I don't quite see that as meta-gaming, though it's a bit different in a posting game verses a table top game, and it's fair to ask me a moment if your unsure of something, or to reconsider a post in the light of something I've told you that you hadn't realized yet. To be honest, I'm not all that worried about it, you are all very good players, and everyone is enjoying the game, which is the most important thing in my opinion.

It is sometimes hard with regards to Mega-Attributes, especially mental and social ones, to figure out what someone is capable of, or knows, which is why I give a bit of leeway to mega-intelligence especially. Most of you have Mega-Intelligence ( Epiphany and Warren both have Mega-Intelligence three) which means your are far smarter then me as the ST let alone most of the rest of the world that they are in, and just about all of you have Mega-Perception too.

Which means, on a mental level,your are more perceptive then Sherlock Holmes and more intelligent then Einstein, so some inferances are possible. But even Sherlock Holmes, in the stories, begins with the most probable answers, before going to the more improbable ones as he rules out the others. I'm not saying you can't make jumps it's logical for your character to make, I'm just saying, don't jump to the most improbable ones first.. start with the easiest answers, observe and confirm or discard, before moving on to more unusual possibilities.

Courier, if Warren was suspicious enough to ping the room or use a power, I'd appreciate if you'd repost that post. Something like a node ping is something that all novas can feel. You shouldn't yank the post just because it didn't give you the IC information you wanted.
What I'd thought was IC info turned out to be OOC info and I wanted to rethink that one (and no, it wasn't a node ping). I would have reposted but lacked the time to seriously think about it... Warren typically gets 15 successes on an Awareness roll and I wanted to consider what that meant in this situation, i.e. sensory overload, unusual things going on, dorm, etc.

Edit: Oh, and what Pip said about the lion's behavior being somewhat unusual.

Archived