Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Our Hometown base of ops...

I agree that India doesnt feel right (sorry to those who liked it.)

May I suggest someplace that while still a Nova Hotspot, is a little more neutral, a little more edgy, and has a little more spice as well....I reccommend... Cuba. ::pimpin

Also Cottus sent me this and after writing him a reply, decided to share it with the rest of you...also so you know why its been taking me a while to get around to posting ::rolleyes

Cottus wrote:

If you're trying to keep certain aspects about your character and his philosophy secret and telling me what you're thinking would get in the way of that, then I just want to say right off that that's fine.

So its not so much that I want to keep secrets...in fact I plan on revealing it all...its just that I feel particularly inspired by this character and have been working the concept alot to fine tune it and also the presentation to make sure its stylish enough to be entertaining.

I would actually be a bit further along if it wasn't for the fact that I have been looking for a new apartment and at the same time, enjoying the not-to-be-missed Halloween festivities.

I know it doesnt help to give away too many teasers but I can say this...I intend my PC to be a truly "good guy" ...he has strong personal motivations to bridge the gap between baseline humanity and the erupted. He has taken the metaphorical journey into the underworld, seen the dark side, returned and chosen the light...to be a voice crying out for sanity in a world gone mad. He isn't the most charismatic, the strongest, or the toughest...but he has the conviction to stand his ground in spite of the prevailing vogue. He plans to stand up for what is right and he hopes you will join him...

::happy

PS. Shade: I had been hoping to use the color green for my PC as it fits his theme. Its only a shade or two off yours.. Should I just fight you for it or are you really attached? Roaches make me think of brown anyway... ::laugh

PPS...I can see the difference between the two greens so as long as everyone else can tell the difference. Also I have noticed that some players dont bother with coloring their dialogue text (though I like to...)

Blue Thunder, seeing as how the game is going to start at the beginning of 2016, could you give us some kind of ruling on what all happened "officially" as far the events listed in WorldWide Phase 1 and 2? Obviously, some of it wouldn't be public knowledge, but some of it would, and I'm wondering what our characters would likely know. Anything else you think we should know ICly, that'd be great too.

I don't have either of the Worldwide books.

Really? They're some of my favorite! Some of the scenarios are kinda dumb, but others are really cool.

In order (and very briefly) they cover: The Fireman (possibly) becoming President, Anteus leaving Project Utopia, Gabriel Melchior's death (and possibly a big, steaming pile of culpability dropped in UP's lap), the fight between Divis and Pax (and possibly the truth about the Bahrain facility being uncovered, and more importantly the truth about Slider's assassination). That's WW 1. WW 2: a weird conspiracy involving the catholic church and whoever they manage to drag into their net (whether the players are Terats, Upies, etc.), a somewhat dry conspiracy story about an honest-to-god sphynx in England trying to take over the world, a crazy over-the-top (and in my opinion, possibly very cool) scenario involving (yet another) conspiracy on the part of a select group of elites to take over the Ukraine (of all places), and finally the Attack on the Amp Room itself (and man am I bummed we don't get the chance to play through that hooplah)!

*whew* Well, there ya go, that's the basic run-down of both books.

Yes...I am curious Blue Thunder...How come you want to start post amp room?

Anyone else like the sunny beaches of Cuba? If you have the Aberrant:Year One, you will know that its one of the more neutral Nova Hotspots and many Elites like to vacation there so we would have plenty of potential recruits. Its also got the edgy feel from the nova run vice going on but its far less dangerous than Japan or Hong Kong. Not that there arent Utopian and Protean Spies everywhere...

PS. Shade: I had been hoping to use the color green for my PC as it fits his theme. Its only a shade or two off yours.. Should I just fight you for it or are you really attached? Roaches make me think of brown anyway...

Well I got to it first so kiss my A...wait a minute that is uncalled for ::devil

Dude green is yours if you are so inclined. I didn't choose brown because "...MR. brown is too close to Mr. Shit..." But being a roach, i'm not too far from that anyway.

Not only are you keeping your character from us, but now you're stealing our colored text choices. Whats next...you want my name? ::laugh

Not only are you keeping your character from us, but now you're stealing our colored text choices. Whats next...you want my name? ::laugh

Actually...do you mind? ::tongue

And actually, everyone has my character sheet already....

Im just keeping it from you... ::sweetlove ::nuclear ::nuclear Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!

Cuba is fine. But again, you guys won't be spending too much time there. Maybe in between missions chilling out and playing video games or something, but I'm sending you guys places. Cuba could be a good place to lay low I guess. I now nothing about Cuba in real life except they make good cigars (supposedly), Fidel Casto is el Presidente, and all the animals on the island are really tiny. And since I live in Florida, I also know Cubans have a favorite pasttime of loading their families onto rafts and braving the oceans for no apparant reason.

As for the events of Worldwide...I'll get back to ya on that one. I'll need to gloss over it again and stuff.

Still need characters from: Fox and SkyLion. There's no rush though; take your time. I'm still making stuff myself...

I'm actually gonna be travelling this weekend, so I'm not sure when I'm going to have access to the web. I may not be able to get my character to you until Tues or Wed.

Proposed House Rule:

Question: Does Tendril double in length with Growth?

Proposed Answer: If the Tendril is actually part of the novas body, i.e. non-energy and if attacking it means you damage the nova, then it doubles in length with Growth. If the Tendril isn’t part of the nova’s body (Spiderman’s Web lines for example) and damaging the tendril doesn’t damage the nova, then it doesn’t double in length with Growth.

Proposed House Rule:

Question: Does Tendril double in length with Growth?

Proposed Answer: If the Tendril is actually part of the novas body, i.e. non-energy and if attacking it means you damage the nova, then it doubles in length with Growth. If the Tendril isn’t part of the nova’s body (Spiderman’s Web lines for example) and damaging the tendril doesn’t damage the nova, then it doesn’t double in length with Growth.

That's a House Rule? Sounds more like common sense to me. Approved.

Another important question to consider: How public is your character?

Is he a Terat that works behind the scenes in secret, not revealing himself to N! and the public at large, like Synapse or Turncoat? Is he a bruiser/enforcer Terat, one that the public only knows because he's seen fighting T2M and others in public, like Geryon and Shrapnel? Is he a highly public nova who spends time in the public eye, who openly preaches or speaks of the Null Manifesto, like Orzaiz or Apostle? Is he more of a Teragen sympathizer, who agrees with the Null Manifesto and assists the Teragen when he can but also has another life/job/group that he attends to, like Sin-Eater or Narcosis? If someone were to search for you on the OpNet, would anything come up? Are there records of you with The Directive, Project Utopia, Project Proteus, DeVries, The UN, or any national or local authorities? Do people know what your baseline name and history are, or are those secret?

Also consider if your character was with another group before the Teragen. If he was with PU, do they know he's a Terat now, and does the public know?

These answers can help me set-up games better. If a character is relatively unknown outside of the Teragen, or prefers to work behind the scenes as an investigator, or isn't publically known as a Teragen sympathizer, it wouldn't make sense to put him in a situation where he'll be giving a speech in front of an N! camera about the glory of Mal and the Null Manifesto. It would make more sense to group characters together that operate the same way: a group of bruisers working together in destructive situations, a group of investigators working together to unlock hidden secrets, a group of social manipulators working together to recruit new members, etc. Mixing and matching will happen, but for the most part, you guys will probably group together according to logic based on the goals at hand, and your public identity can help me determine what kind of games to plan for different groups.

Jack is documented with Utopia (being a former T2M agent). His powers have grown since he has left so they dont have a total bearing on what he can do (unless he has been watched). I would think that he would have a vocal retraction of his former life (like Saxton from the Teragen sourcebook, p.82).

Since he no longer speaks verbally, he stays in the background if he is ever in the media, Jill would be the vocal one.

He is also more of a protector/enforcer then anything social. He also has bits and pieces of stealth/infultration abilities.

Also...

Does anyone want to start with a Psi-link to Jack?

King Cobra is known as a rebellious street fighter who defends baseline civilians on the streets of New York. It is rumored that he has Teragen connections because he does occasionally go on missions for the Teragen, and it's not hard to tentatively identify a nova once he uses his powers. Some or all of this might come up on an OpNet search, though King Cobra is not registered with any organization.

In terms of what type of mission he'd be best suited for, it doesn't really matter. He would have no problem standing in front of a camera in support of the Null Manifesto, or with bruising or investigating or recruiting (though he'd really be no more effective than a baseline at that last option).

Does anyone want to start with a Psi-link to Jack?

Yes.

Another important question to consider: How public is your character?

Pretty much asked and answered for Bob. He has cipher, he's been relatively open about what he can do but figuring out exactly what he has done is much harder. He's always been one of these shadowy figures with really unpleasant powers.

For pretty near anything to do with Geryon he would have worn someone else's face. Simiarly it wouldn't do the movement any favors (or him either) for "Cannible Bob" to speak up for the movement.

Is he publically a Terat?

It's unlikely that he's on record as such, but that probably doesn't matter. He definately fits the profile.

My character, somewhat like Phoenix's character, has two identities. His real identity, Samuel Enricksen, was briefly famous following the altercation between himself and the Michaelites who murdered his brother, which led to Sam's eruption. However, for reasons that were never made clear, there are almost no photographs of Sam/James post-eruption, and the few that exist are of such horrible quality that they're useless for identification purposes. Partially because of this, it was a simple matter for Sam to disappear when Count Orzaiz took him into hiding and gave him his new identity of James Winston. Therefore as Samuel Enricksen he has no connection with the Teragen whatsoever.

As James he's mostly been working with the Casablancas and Orzaiz, acting in a support capacity out of the actual spotlight itself. And while an opnet search done on James Winston might actually turn up a few vague results tying him to the Teragen (he's only been with the organization for a very short time), the chances of finding any sort of photographs or footage of James himself would be incredibly slim. It's almost as though cameras just look right through him because there really aren't any good pictures of him anywhere.

Archived