Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll update Branch 3 tomorrow when I wake up. So...about 3-4 PM Eastern time.

BT needs his beauty sleep. You know, people think that being insanely handsome and well-toned just comes naturally to people like me, without any effort. And they'd be right. But just in case, I need to get my 8+ hours of sleep in every night.

Damn BT! Erik is one twisted SOB. And isn't T2M going to run home to mommy, now that they are clearly outnumbered 2 to 1? And Fong awakening in the first sces...damn. pullin' out the big guns!

And BTW,, the initative thing IIRC comes from past WW games or at least has been a long roleplaying tradition. Basically the slower peope declare first allowing faster people the tactical advantage to preempt them...

Alrighty, the new limit is four NPCs per person. But no rewards...Cottus already got his cookie, so you guys will just have to live with it.

Also, can latents erupt at age 2? I'm not so sure about the Jim-Bob character(s)...

Technically there is no min age... but it doesn't normally come up since no one wants to run a PC who is that young.

OMG!!! That is probably in worse taste than Hiroshima and Nagasaki! Ugh...flying fetuses...just wrong!

Oh and Cottus..RE: Armadillo...based on your description we are talking a Nova with Mega Dex 4 and Mega-Str 4 at least plus armor, claws, mega Perception and intelligence, plus multiple enhancements...Im sure its fine and he will end up fodder but you *did* read the part about them being roughly 30 NP Novas right? It would take more than that to build armadillo as you have him even with buying up his taint levels...

OMG!!! That is probably in worse taste than Hiroshima and Nagasaki! Ugh...flying fetuses...just wrong!

Oh and Cottus..RE: Armadillo...based on your description we are talking a Nova with Mega Dex 4 and Mega-Str 4 at least plus armor, claws, mega Perception and intelligence, plus multiple enhancements...Im sure its fine and he will end up fodder but you *did* read the part about them being roughly 30 NP Novas right? It would take more than that to build armadillo as you have him even with buying up his taint levels...

I'm just "selling" him, the way that WW writers always seem to do with their NPCs. Look at Shining Mountain in Year One, they make him seem like one of the Heaven Thunder's chief enforcers, and a real powerful nova, even more so when "The Stone Badass" talks about him in the APG. But the guy's straight low-level, starting-pc material, and nothing to worry about for any half-way competent team of players. BT can write up Armadillo any way he sees fit, and can quite handily do so with 30 or so nova points (especially considering that I made it quite clear that the guy's real tainted). It's just that the hard math of his dice pools won't seem quite so impressive as my description makes him seem. But isn't that always the way?

Part of me wonders if Caronline's Chrysalis is really due to a failed/botched roll ... or if she went into it with 600+ XP to spend. Because ye gods, she'd be someone to give even Divis pause with that. Just imagine the Teragen with an elder member who had Consciousness Supremacy, let alone Quantum Supremacy. She could make entire countries into her slaves.

If anyone went into Chrysalis with 600+ experience, they'd have to have been "adventuring" for a full decade (at least), non-stop, without spending anything (or sleeping for that matter). Cause damn. 600. That's a lot. The Chrysalis example from the book has a character going in with under 30 (it was 24 I think).

Re: Armadillo

Cottus...and like I said Im just picking at nits here, cuz hes BTs beeyotch now...but juggling tanks and catching bullets means Mega Dex and Str of 4...so 24 NPs right off the bat or 16 tainted (and hes already at 8 taint with that.) With a quantum minimum of 3 necesary and with everything else you gave into the description I think you are *seriously8 overselling him...Mainly that was my issue...juggling tanks, catching ullets, nigh invulnerable, intelect, genius for nova standards AND perception...good god man!

You don't need Mega-Dex 4 to juggle tanks. Just Mega-Str 4, and a decent Athletics dice pool (or Might, since that includes Throwing).

BTW, best line so far:

Roach, still neither caring nor fully understanding does his best to look and sounds impressed. Though he does disagree with Envy for once. That was most certainly edible!!

You didnt read my post corectly...catching bullets requires Mega Dex 4. Throwing tanks is a mega str 4. Armadillo is described as having both plus a whole lot more...

To be honest SkyLion, I was really hoping I wouldn't come home from work tonight to find that this was still an issue, but since it is.... *sigh*

Throwing Tanks: use Lifter. It says in the writeup that, at the ST's discretion, a nova using this enhancement will have their ability to throw heavy objects increased as well (it even uses tanks as the example).

Catching bullets: catching them, not plucking them out of the air! M.Dex 4 means you can "pluck bullets out of the air" by making a normal Block roll. This implies reaching out and grabbing a bullet that's already in flight. Casually. But considering that a nova with even a single dot in M.Dex can dodge bullets without seeking cover, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that a mega-dexterous nova could (if, for some strange reason they wanted to) try and catch a bullet by lining their hand up with a gun that's about to fire. Especially if they had M.Per to boot. As ST I would simply add a modifier to the diff. penalty, and regardless of how many successes they got on the roll I would still roll damage as normal (yeah it might be a stump now, but let me tell you how I lost this hand!).

Nigh-Indestructable: this is such an overused term it hardly even means anything anymore, so please don't draw any conclusions from this. I was aiming for "bullet proof" and maybe "kinetic damage" proof. Rather than Armor, try some dots in M.Sta and FF (yes I know it's not obvious, but there's no reason not to take it, and at low levels FF is better). Another option would be Absorption (which increases...oh yeah...Strength!). Throw in the ubiquitious Eufiber and he's got 5 extra soak right there for less than 1 np. His chitin was only supposed to reflect high taint leading to the hardened skin aberration.

I'm with you Cottus. I completely support narrative explanations. Makes things a whole lot more interesting. as apposed to saying, he can lift 22-56tons and run at 224.4 MPH. It makes more sense to say he can lift almost anything and can run faster than a speeding bullet.

You go with your badself!! ZANG ZADAAM!!

Sorry Cottus. I didnt think you could do all that with lower Mega Atts. ::blush

Again, it wasn't so much of an issue with you or the character as much as i was thinking, "Well in that case I have some higher powered ideas I could throw in." I just wanted to make sure what the guidlines were, since they have been bent already in regards to quantity! ::happy

I'm just "selling" him, the way that WW writers always seem to do with their NPCs. Look at Shining Mountain in Year One, they make him seem like one of the Heaven Thunder's chief enforcers, and a real powerful nova, even more so when "The Stone Badass" talks about him in the APG...
The problem is one of hipe. Shining Mountain has been sold, by the papers, by N!, by himself, and perhaps by his employers as being that powerful. It's even reasonable for Stone to think he really is that powerful.

However Stone plays in a different league. I seem to remember someone claiming he was a Mega-Stamina 4, Mega-Strength 4 type who used soma to make those 5s. If he has a dot of Armor and Res, then his soak would increase by 10/7 for the duration.

Oh, and in case any of you are wondering why I would spend a willpower point on a Warp roll, I worked out an extra system with BT involving Warp and Teleport that uses any extra successes you get to determine how close to your intended destination you get. And speaking of which BT, seeing as from what I understand KC has the teleport power, have you/did you want to detail the system to him? Or would you like me to? Or perhaps I should just post the system on here so everyones aware of it?

RE: Bob

He's done talking or doing anything. I have several arguments prepared that *might* push him deeper into Teras... but with someone this unstable, I'm going to quit while we're ahead.

RE: Mal

::jaw Very well done... I didn't see it coming but it seems so natural for him to make that move now.

Is someone going to give Firefly medical assistance? Didn't she take lots of lethal damage?

If someone asks him to, James could (he'd need a decent first aid kit, though). But he's still amped on the fight, and is off asking Geryon if there's more to be done, so unless someone asks him or he sees her showing obvious signs of being medically unstable (and according to the base rules in the book, an Incapacitated character isn't unstable, they're just very unconscious) he's not likely to right at the moment.

Firefly's energy absorption ability was powerful, but not powerful enough to absorb the full force of James's strikes. The T2M-Auxiliary leader was unconscious after only two punches, falling onto the hard cement with a thud.

((I'd like to note that Firefly only survived by spending a Willpower on her second Absorption roll. James's Claws + Armor Piercing really did a number on her.))

So she's taken LETHAL damage down to Incapacitated, and should be bleeding to death unless someone makes a medical roll for her within... I'm not sure.

So she's taken LETHAL damage down to Incapacitated, and should be bleeding to death unless someone makes a medical roll for her within... I'm not sure.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the rules in the book AFAICT don't say anything about an Incapacitated character getting worse without a stabilizing role. So unless BT rules that she will get worse, there's nothing particularly to worry about.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the rules in the book AFAICT don't say anything about an Incapacitated character getting worse without a stabilizing role. So unless BT rules that she will get worse, there's nothing particularly to worry about.
Interesting. I specifically remember reading about blood loss... but I don't see anything there in the core book. It's possible I'm remembering another WW system, i.e. that novas simply don't suffer from this.

Archived