Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - Cognizant Chimera - The Early Years...

malkboy

Moments after the first nova steps off the train into the noon sun, a few reporters step out from inside the small building. Judging by the cameramen following them, they are from CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and NPT. The reporters wait patiently as the passengers disembark, each one gawking thier head a different way looking for the best person/persons to approach. The cameras follow Eddie at first as he zooms out of the train and around in the air, then go back to the group forming on the terminal platform. As soon as everyone who wants off the train has managed to do so with anything they brought, Aaron steps down onto the platform. As soon as he does the reporters approach the novas asking questions that range from "Where are you from?" to "Do you feel you're a threat to everybody around you now that you've evolved?"

Martha is shocked by the sudden appearance by the paparazzi - where the hell did they come from? She whispers into David's ear.

'Middle of Nowhere', my ass! This looks like a f#ckin' press junket!

Regaining her composure, she's about to say something, when she realizes that she's still holding David's arm ::unsure

*They're going to think we're 'involved' - crap! Wait a minute - is that such a bad thing? He's a good looking guy, he's funny, he's got connections - frankly, Martha honey, you could do a lot worse.*

After a pause of but a few moments, she pulls David a little closer and sends the people of the world her most dazzling smile ::biggrin

Howdy, y'all! Greetin's from the middle of Nowhere!

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*They're going to think we're 'involved' - crap! Wait a minute - is that such a bad thing? He's a good looking guy, he's funny, he's got connections - frankly, Martha honey, you could do a lot worse.*

After a pause of but a few moments, she pulls David a little closer and sends the people of the world her most dazzling smile

Either not noticing, or not caring, David doesn't seem to mind Martha's arm...

Howdy, y'all! Greetin's from the middle of Nowhere!

As Martha addresses the crowd, they all seem to simultaneously notice her companion, David.

David scans the reporters and seems to make a decision and starts walking towards a lady with a CNN microphone.

"Ann, how are you? Apparently you all know more about where we are better than we do. As far as us being threats, I'd say it's no different than how it was before we 'erupted'. Those of us with bad intentions will be a threat, and those of us with good intentions will try and stop them."

he glances down and notices Martha's arm, "oh and this is my good friend, Martha. Also here to figure out what we should do next..."

"Are you a nova as well?"

He chuckles and brushes the hair out of his eyes as he replies, "Well.. not exactly... Something changed but I can't do anything like any of these folks."

"What the f*ck is this? 'Secret destination' my ass!! You couldn't tell us where the train was going, so you issued a statement to the press instead?"

The PR man looks to Dawg, "Tell me... do you see any satellite trucks? Any way for the reporters to file thier story? They truly are stuck here for the next two weeks with no way to leave. Thier stories won't be submitted until everyone is long gone from here. I'd have told everyone the reporters were waiting, but I was trying to put down the paranoia unsuccessfully."

The PR man looks to Dawg, "Tell me... do you see any satellite trucks? Any way for the reporters to file thier story? They truly are stuck here for the next two weeks with no way to leave. Thier stories won't be submitted until everyone is long gone from here. I'd have told everyone the reporters were waiting, but I was trying to put down the paranoia unsuccessfully."

Cids only says no comment and looks *very* unhappy at this. He makes his way past the croud as fast as he can.

"Ann, how are you? Apparently you all know more about where we are better than we do. As far as us being threats, I'd say it's no different than how it was before we 'erupted'. Those of us with bad intentions will be a threat, and those of us with good intentions will try and stop them."

he glances down and notices Martha's arm, "oh and this is my good friend, Martha. Also here to figure out what we should do next..."

Martha grins and gives her a firm yet non-lethal handshake.

Nice to meet ya, Ann. As far as us bein' threats, I'm only dangerous first thing in the mornin' before ah have my coffee ::laugh

She leans in to David again.

Holy sh!t, it is a f#ckin' press junket! With super folks and a No-Fly Zone ::crazy What's your agent's number again?

While everyone else is getting off the train, the two Matts exchange glances and then one walks up to the other and they merge. Then Matt touches one of the train seats and the fabric of the seat flows and forms a ski-mask the same color as the seat was. Matt puts this on, and will ignore any and all press questions.

Grinning like an idiot, Jimmy jumps out of the train gleefully. Seeing the reporters, and Eddie's pryotechnic flying display, he frowns slightly. *Huh...maybe I should show off too. Nah. Not right now, anyways, I'll wait to strut my stuff when we start testin'.*

"Tell me... do you see any satellite trucks? Any way for the reporters to file thier story? They truly are stuck here for the next two weeks with no way to leave. Thier stories won't be submitted until everyone is long gone from here. I'd have told everyone the reporters were waiting, but I was trying to put down the paranoia unsuccessfully."

Eddie, from his spot several feet above the ground, furrows his brow.

"Wait.."

He shrugs, however, only casting an expectant glance in Mike's direction and wafting back over towards Virginia.

"Well.. not exactly... Something changed but I can't do anything like any of these folks."

Virginia frowns.

"How weird.. What do you mean changed, then?"

Gabriel seems somewhat uncomfortable in the presence of the reporters and only smiles amiably at them when they start asking him questions; instead of answerng them he looks around and listens in on the various other conversations going on around him.

The woman turns her head, watching his lips move as he asks his question. From nowhere she produces a black business card, with a single word printed on it, handing it to Lance.

Lance reads the card and looks the girl in the eyes

"Ooh, Ssspectre...Maybe we should ALL get cool names like that. Call me Wraith then. How about we get together and try to have some little ghostlings? What do you think? You forgot to leave me your number on the card by the way..."

Lance hands back the card, eyeing a little more than her eyes as he does so...

Bill sees the press, and is momentarily taken aback.

He scans around for the TV trucks (once they were mentioned), and not seeing them, appears satisfied.

Bill puts on his biggest smile and goes to meet the press.

He's very open when it comes to discussing himself and his abilities (there's a lot of "I don't know, haven't tried that" answers involved"), but stonewalls anything to do with his family, or where he lives. Not lies, just "I don't wish to discuss that, thank you".

Having been totally snubbed by the press in the last couple of weeks, despite his willingness to co-operate with them, Mike shakes his head at the crowd of reporters (& adds another mental black mark against the people who 'organised' this whole effort). With a flare of emerald fire a second Michael appears next to the first. Each winged man scoops one of Mr Warlock's companions up in his arms, & then both leap into the air, soaring low over the land towards the main 'base'.

• 2 weeks later...
"Ooh, Ssspectre...Maybe we should ALL get cool names like that. Call me Wraith then. How about we get together and try to have some little ghostlings? What do you think? You forgot to leave me your number on the card by the way..."

The oriental woman looks to Lance curiously a moment, shaking her head slightly as the shadows nearby wrap around her. Suddenly the shadows shoot back to where they belong in the train... but the woman is nowhere to be seen.

(Meanwhile Outside the Train)

Virginia frowns.

"How weird.. What do you mean changed, then?"

"Eh.. Well it's not really easy to explain, and I'm not sure I want to in front of reporters," says Tony as he points towards the cameras.

After a few minutes on the platform, a few black SUV's can be seen driving down the road towards the group. They stop next to the platform and Aaron turns to everybody speaking calmly, "We'll sort the problems each person has out at the complex. And I'll find a better facility if that's what the majority of you want. I'll toss the reporters if that's what you want. Just keep it all in mind and we'll talk one on one before the end of the day."

The drivers of the SUV's open all the doors for the passengers and thier luggage. The staff try and help the novas as much as they are allowed. Once everyone is off the platform or have taken thier own method of getting to the campus, the SUV's drive towards the main complex.

Quickly coming into view are several 60's era government buildings. Built with concrete block and bricks. The largest, and obviously the main, building even has a fallout symbol on it, but otherwise they look fairly non descript. Waiting there for the vehicles is a group of people in lab coats and a couple are in what look like a sort of uniform.

"We'll sort the problems each person has out at the complex. And I'll find a better facility if that's what the majority of you want. I'll toss the reporters if that's what you want. Just keep it all in mind and we'll talk one on one before the end of the day."

"Sounds good. Thanks for listening to our conserns."

He quietly gets in and relaxes on his way over

After a few minutes on the platform, a few black SUV's can be seen driving down the road towards the group. They stop next to the platform and Aaron turns to everybody speaking calmly, "We'll sort the problems each person has out at the complex. And I'll find a better facility if that's what the majority of you want. I'll toss the reporters if that's what you want. Just keep it all in mind and we'll talk one on one before the end of the day."

Martha nods.

Sound alright to me.

The drivers of the SUV's open all the doors for the passengers and thier luggage. The staff try and help the novas as much as they are allowed. Once everyone is off the platform or have taken thier own method of getting to the campus, the SUV's drive towards the main complex.

Martha makes a point of sitting next to David in the SUV, and engages in all manner of childish 'family vacation' behaviour; arguing over who's on who's side, getting into mock slap fights, etc ::tongue

Quickly coming into view are several 60's era government buildings. Built with concrete block and bricks. The largest, and obviously the main, building even has a fallout symbol on it, but otherwise they look fairly non descript. Waiting there for the vehicles is a group of people in lab coats and a couple are in what look like a sort of uniform.

Martha leans over David (did I say 'leans over?' I meant 'practically crawls over' ::devil) to look out the window.

I think we're there; good thing, too, 'cause I gotta pee.

After a few minutes on the platform, a few black SUV's can be seen driving down the road towards the group.  They stop next to the platform and Aaron turns to everybody speaking calmly, "We'll sort the problems each person has out at the complex.  And I'll find a better facility if that's what the majority of you want.  I'll toss the reporters if that's what you want.  Just keep it all in mind and we'll talk one on one before the end of the day."

Matt appears to nod under his mask, then he hastily gets into an SUV without comment. He has no luggage.

Gabriel leaps into the air and flies over to the building.

Stopping in mid-air above the group of people, he scowls down at then, and then begins to fly in widening circles around the area.

Martha makes a point of sitting next to David in the SUV, and engages in all manner of childish 'family vacation' behaviour; arguing over who's on who's side, getting into mock slap fights, etc

David seems more than willing to play along, then gets ready to say something when...

Martha leans over David (did I say 'leans over?' I meant 'practically crawls over' ) to look out the window.

I think we're there; good thing, too, 'cause I gotta pee.

...he gets a little distracted...

Although he definately doesn't seem to mind all of the new found attention he's getting from Martha...

David seems more than willing to play along, then gets ready to say something when...

...he gets a little distracted...

Although he definately doesn't seem to mind all of the new found attention he's getting from Martha...

Martha looks down at David and grins.

I'm sorry, honeybunch, did my hand slip? ::devil I assure you, it won't happen again ::sly

• 3 weeks later...

(Pauses for dramatic effect.. okay so really the site was down and I had trouble getting back)

The scientists seem to each head to differing SUV's opening the doors and helping the occupants of each out. As soon as they get as many of the occupants together in a group, a blonde woman starts the introductions with a cute little smile, "Hi, I'm Mandy. The other geeky looking people here are the science and medical research team here to assist you. The two in the uniforms are the security detail for the facility. I'm sure the administrative end has gotten most of you all nervous and antsy about even being here. So let's start with this, If you don't want to do something than say you won't and that's fine. All we really want is to get some medical exams in and help y'all out with anything you need help on."

She gestures towards a man with black hair dressed in a nice suit, labcoat, and a stethescope. Then with a honest smile adding to her cheerful voice, "He's Dr. Ron McCord and will be in charge of any medical needs that might arise. As well as performing an initial physical for all of you, once you all get settled in. Why don't you all head over towards the barracks building, " she says pointing over to a two story structure, " To get settled in. Albe, if there's any volunteers to be the first for a physical, I'm sure Dr. McCord will jump right in to giving them."

Xander glances at the scientists and sneers as he walks towards the barracks, disappearing behind the door quickly. The shadowy Oriental woman gracefully moves towards the doctor. Tony, looks over to the furry Bernard than over to Virginia before muttering just loud enough to be overheard by anyone nearby, "I dunno why I bothered, there's nothing I can do that's really special. But noooo, it was Tony you better get off your.. "

As the crowd begins to congregate around the scientists (and as such, probably lose interest in Eddie), he falls gently to the ground between Virginia and Tony and offers his hand to the latter, slipping an arm around the former.

"Hey, man - guess we didn't get much introductions done on the train, did we? I'm Eddie, I guess you've met Virginia."

if there's any volunteers to be the first for a physical, I'm sure Dr. McCord will jump right in to giving them."

Matt says, "Why not. Sure, I'll go first."

Matt will go and will cooperate with the physical parts of the physical. He will be evasive about some parts of his history and his last name.

The scientists seem to each head to differing SUV's opening the doors and helping the occupants of each out. As soon as they get as many of the occupants together in a group, a blonde woman starts the introductions with a cute little smile, "Hi, I'm Mandy. The other geeky looking people here are the science and medical research team here to assist you. The two in the uniforms are the security detail for the facility. I'm sure the administrative end has gotten most of you all nervous and antsy about even being here. So let's start with this, If you don't want to do something than say you won't and that's fine. All we really want is to get some medical exams in and help y'all out with anything you need help on."

Gabriel circles back so that he's once again hovering above the group congregating around the building.

She gestures towards a man with black hair dressed in a nice suit, labcoat, and a stethescope. Then with a honest smile adding to her cheerful voice, "He's Dr. Ron McCord and will be in charge of any medical needs that might arise. As well as performing an initial physical for all of you, once you all get settled in. Why don't you all head over towards the barracks building, " she says pointing over to a two story structure, " To get settled in. Albe, if there's any volunteers to be the first for a physical, I'm sure Dr. McCord will jump right in to giving them."

Still hovering, he puts on his most charming smile and says, "Excuse me Mandy, but we were told by the guy on the train that we could have a change of venue if that's what we wanted. Furthermore, it became apparent during our discussion that the Aeon society may already have significant information about us which it has yet to reveal or even mention. Nothing about the unacceptability of this location and situation has changed since then, and until it does I must say that I'm extremely reluctant to enter any 'barracks' or allow any of your doctors to examine me, and I was under the impression that at least some of the others felt the same way. So what say we skip the friendly introductory phase of this little get together and move straight to the part where you call the head office and tell your superiors that we'd like to speak with them in person about this whole mess?"

Quickly coming into view are several 60's era government buildings. Built with concrete block and bricks. The largest, and obviously the main, building even has a fallout symbol on it, but otherwise they look fairly non descript.
... pointing over to a two story structure...

From their perch atop the tallest building [which I presume is the same as the 'largest' building - unless there are any nice towers or anything] the Mikes & friends watch the scientist types & train passangers gather together, then note the building pointed to. Too far away to hear the conversation, & obviously not drawing any attention themselves, the small group take the time to have a good look at their surroundings - they observe how many buildings there are, & of what size each is; if there are any recognisable or interesting activities going on; if there are any obvious security devices or similar things; &, in general, take a good look at their new surroundings.

David looks at Martha, then the staff, “I guess I’m with her…”

Martha smiles and sort of glows at that comment.

Aw, you sweet thang! ::smile ::wub

She gives him a quick peck on the cheek, then slaps him firmly on the @ss.

C'mon now, giddyup! ::ohmy ::sly

::crazy (A Quick description of nowhere that Everyone can get the feel of after a bit of looking)

A single road is the entrance and exit to "Nowhere", everywhere else is surrounded by fields of corn. Five buildings in total make up the campus; of which two are inside a loop created by the road circling around on itself. These two buildings are the large 5 story building that is obviously the Administration and Labratory building. Behind it are a large garden, which sports the area only oak tree (which has grown large with the years) with a few benches as well as the kitchen/mess hall. On the other side of the road are three buildings of uniform size that curl around with the road, taking up 2/3rds of size of the outside loop total. Two of the buildings are obviously barracks/dormitories and the third one is plainly marked Library and Staff Offices. The outside of each building is brick and the interiors each seem fairly sanitary and white.

As for security, there is a SUV parked at the Library/Staff Offices building with some lights on it, but the only other form of obvious security are the guys who look like they are in uniform. If you watch long enough you can tell there are 4 of them in total.

And other than the people around the new arrivals, there doesn't seem to be much activity.

(Eddie)

"Hey, man - guess we didn't get much introductions done on the train, did we? I'm Eddie, I guess you've met Virginia."

The blonde man nods and shakes the offered hand , "And what a lovely person she is. It's nice to meet you, Eddie. I'm Tony and I was just about to tell Virginia that I wasn't anxious to tell everyone what I can do because I wouldn't want to paint a big target on myself." As soon as Tony touches Eddie, the mostly invisible smokey armour that had previously covered parts of Eddie, flares up for just a moment and then disappear suddenly ::crazy

(Gabriel)

"Excuse me Mandy, but we were told by the guy on the train that we could have a change of venue if that's what we wanted. Furthermore, it became apparent during our discussion that the Aeon society may already have significant information about us which it has yet to reveal or even mention. Nothing about the unacceptability of this location and situation has changed since then, and until it does I must say that I'm extremely reluctant to enter any 'barracks' or allow any of your doctors to examine me, and I was under the impression that at least some of the others felt the same way. So what say we skip the friendly introductory phase of this little get together and move straight to the part where you call the head office and tell your superiors that we'd like to speak with them in person about this whole mess?"

Mandy open and closes her mouth for a moment as her head cranes upwards, "Mr. Jenkins is my superior for this job. But if he told you that he'd change the venue, then I'm sure that's why he's not standing here. I'll be more than happy to take you to his office, where you can talk with him or get him to call his superiors about this, "mess". But, I am curious to know what information is it you think we have? All *I* know is what was published by reporters or otherwise said. Most of which, I would think is BS!"

From that point each nova is allowed to go wherever they please (as if they were being stopped before) and will be approached by Aaron for an opportunity to ask what they'd like to be done about the location situation.

(Cid)

When he gets to the barracks, he starts to look around his room for any bygs or camera's he may find...

As he settles into the room that has a distinct dormitory feel about it, Cid feels confident that his room is his alone and that no one is spying on him.

(For those who did volunteer for the physical)

After a quick normal check up Dr. McCord gives the end results to each person, letting each one know that they are in peak physical condition, given thier body type, size, and all other factorable conditions.

(OOC Note: I'm sorry for the delay but it's the end of the school year, and I'm busier than ever. Plus, I had to retool the game to deal with a couple uh.. unforseen circumstances.)

"And what a lovely person she is."

Eddie tosses a glance at his lover and gives her a crazy grin and an enthusiastic nod to Tony's comment. She laughs and kicks him half-heartedly in the shin. Laughing as well, he turns back to Tony and rolls his eyes and shrugs.

"It's nice to meet you, Eddie. I'm Tony and I was just about to tell Virginia that I wasn't anxious to tell everyone what I can do because I wouldn't want to paint a big target on myself."

Eddie looks concerned at the idea.

"A target? Don't you think that's a bit farfetched? Wait, that's weird, hang on.."

As soon as Tony touches Eddie, the smokey armour that had previously covered parts of Eddie, disappear suddenly.

[For the record, it's not visible unless it's actively blocking an attack, but Eddie and presumably Tony feel it go off.]

Eddie looks perplexed at a sudden emptiness in the air surrounding him.

"What the..."

Drawing a quarter from his pocket, the street magician shinnies it lightning-fast across his knuckles, then flips it high in the air. It flies up several meters, then falls back, directly onto Eddie's head.

"OW!", he yelps. Virginia bursts out laughing as he rubs the top of his head, glaring at her, now quite confused.

"That was weird." He turns to Tony to explain.

"See, I've been surrounded by this weird field since I erupted that usually deflects things flying in my direction like KICKS!"

He fires off a second mock glare at Virginia.

"But it just turned off. I guess I can't use my powers incessantly, but the field hasn't ever felt like it took anything out of me, that's.."

Light dawns. Eddie's expressive eyebrows jump a bit higher on his skull.

"Whoah - your power is the ability to turn off other people's powers? How is that poss.."

Respective of Tony's expressed wish not to reveal his powers as of yet, he turns his vaguely pleasing voice down a bit after 'your power'. He trails off as he realizes that the bounds of 'possibility' have gone straight to hell in a handbasket at this point anyway.

Eddie looks concerned at the idea.

"A target? Don't you think that's a bit farfetched? Wait, that's weird, hang on.."

"Whoah - your power is the ability to turn off other people's powers? How is that poss.."

Tony shrugs at Eddie, speaking just loud enough for those really close by (Eddie and Virginia) "Wasn't sure if that was something I had to worry about or not. Some scientist called me an anti-nova, because as soon as I touch someone actively displaying nova powers, at least one of those powers disappear for awhile. Sorry if I buggered up something important. Just... don't share that around. I don't want everyone afraid to touch me, baseline and nova alike."

After a quick normal check up Dr. McCord gives the end results to each person, letting each one know that they are in peak physical condition, given thier body type, size, and all other factorable conditions.

After her little check-up, Martha's feeling a bit restless. She hooks back up with David.

You wanna stroll the grounds with me? Get the old 'lay of the land'?

After a quick normal check up Dr. McCord gives the end results to each person, letting each one know that they are in peak physical condition, given their body type, size, and all other factorable conditions.

Matt responds, "That's a problem right there Doc. I'm about 10, maybe 15 years older than I look, and I've been an addict for 15 years. I should look a lot older. For that matter, I haven't had a hit since before the change. I shouldn't feel this good."

Matt responds, "That's a problem right there Doc.  I'm about 10, maybe 15 years older than I look, and I've been an addict for 15 years.  I should look a lot older.  For that matter, I haven't had a hit since before the change.  I shouldn't feel this good."

The doctor looks a little startled by the information that Matt gives him, "So you've been an addict for 15 years and haven't had a hit in a while. What exactly was it that you are addicted to?"

Archived