Next EONCon?

Bahamut810

Possibly....But just remember: location, Location! LOCATION!...

The top two questions are:

1) Which side of the pond? England or America? With all deference to our members Down Under (especially the loud one ::tongue ), which side would be better?

(Note: Due to language issues, England (or the other UK regions) would probably be the best bet on that side, just as keeping it to the USA is probably better on this side...)

2) Once that's decided, which city? On one side of The Pond, London's the obviouis choice, even though I'd probably put in a vote for Dublin on GP. On my side, I'd probably offer up Sacramento, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, or even Atlanta (obviously trying to keep home field advantage, but any area that a fellow has actual familiarity with would be good).

And then there's the time issue ::crazy ...

FR

... On one side of The Pond, London's the obviouis choice...

Yeah - if you're trying for the most expensive venue you can find... ::wink

I suggest a luxurius airship, moored somewhere over the equator, & far enough away from the States to avoid the Prohibition laws is the fairest for all gentlefolk concerned...

... No, wait... That's Adventure!... ::tongue ::biggrin

Damn real life, damn it! ::angry ::sly

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to reignite this thread. Personally, I would love an excuse to go to the UK, provided I was able to crash on someone's couch or stay in a funky youth hostel. Does anyone know the going rate on Trans-Atlantic tickets these days?

Just for fun, I went to Expedia.com, picked a random date (the second week of September) and selected Chicago-O'Hare to London-Heathrow. I found a round trip Air India flight would start at $421, which seems damn reasonable to me ::thumbsup.

So, all you UKers, just how reputable is Air India? Any history of falling planes? ::shocked

Air India is fine - I have used them when I travelled during my gap year - not the best, but they are safe, good pilots. Food isn't exceptional, but is certainly do-able.

London is great - but expensive to say the least, and I'd say more confusing than any American city I have ever been to. Very worth a visit though - email me at ds143@york.ac.uk if you want any other advice - I know London very well - I will be moving there once I graduate.

Thanks for the tips, Aeon - this is still a pipe dream at this point, but the whole point of visiting the UK (well, for this trip, at least) would be to hook up with my UK EON homies, so I would make my way to whatever part of the Isles that would be best meeting place ::withbeer Much better to hang out with a local than wander around with a Fodor's, wondering where the Crystal Palace is: "Sorry, mate, burned down decades ago."

By the way, how much longer do you have at uni, as you folk say?

If you're coming to the UK then you get to try real ::withbeer , as opposed to that stuff they appear to serve in the US & jokingly refer to as 'beer'. Real ales, like 'Old Speckled Hen', 'Norfolk Nog', or 'Orkney Skullbuster'. Stuff that's warm, you can't see through, & is thick enough to stand a spoon up straight in. Then there's fish 'n' chips from the local chippy, ale pie, & all those other traditional English goodies. Head out of England to Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland & it starts to get really mad... ::wacko ::wink

Why would anyone want to drink a beer thas gonna knock you on your butt?.. and.. WARM?!? Isn't it bad enough cold?

It's an acquired taste: like fine wines & good haggis. Brewing is a craft & an art, & shouldn't be mistaken for the modern concept of spewing out as much thin, pale, tasteless liquid with a disturbing simularity to urine as possible in order to sell it to teenagers in an effort to get them drunk quickly. Not that I'm a beer snob or anything... ::lookaround ::beer

It's an acquired taste: like fine wines & good haggis. Brewing is a craft & an art, & shouldn't be mistaken for the modern concept of spewing out as much thin, pale, tasteless liquid with a disturbing simularity to urine as possible in order to sell it to teenagers in an effort to get them drunk quickly. Not that I'm a beer snob or anything... ::lookaround ::beer

I like this boy... American beer is weak as piss. British ales are brilliant - Kent's Spitfire, and Yorkshire Terrier are two other fine ales. Am a good whisky drinker too (being Scottish and all...)

London is not brilliant in itself, but I will be working in Parliament for an MP (graudating in a year Heritage...) That said - pretty good for young 'uns, and the nightlife is ace, if not expensive. Know someone who owns a really nice club in Chelsea that I can get it for free to, so may frquent there...

Having deciphered the secret too everything.. Beer bites the big one.. then again I think just about all alcohol tastes like someone well uh.. nevermind... You guys go enjoy your cold ones... ::beer ...

I'll keep to my water and other beverages..

I have tried quite some beer, chinese, australian, indian, spanish and some others but if you want a good beer, or Pilsener, ask for a german Beer. We do it best! ::tongue

Even the thought of a beer with "body temperature" gives me a shiver.

Where are you from Prof - are you Scottish?

Im from Edinburgh originally...

Archived