Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

I'm glad we understand each other... ::devilangel

How are the rules on that, by the way? Could Ian communicate telepathically with anyone and not read their mind? I guess you could choose not to read deep thoughts, but you still can't be certain you won't catch a stray thought or two, right?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, it very much depends on how someone has defined how their powers work.

As a case in point:

Can Quantuum Bolt be used to PowerBlock Quantuum Bolt?

Depends.

If one is fire, and one is water/ice, then I'd say yes.

Whereas is one is molecular destruction, and one is a blast of air, I'd say no.

It's not simply a case of rule mechanics, Flavour strongly determines how things interact.

Guys, a suggestion:

When posting something just take it a step at a time.

I'm noticing more and more (especially on the Elites thread) that ye're saying something to another PC, then going off and doing 8 more things, when there's a *damn* good chance the other PC is going to want to respond in some manner.

The last post between Knave and Chieftain are a perfect case in point (please don't take this as an attack guys, 'cause it truly isn't).

Chieftain posted stuff that Knave is *so* going to want to respond to, but you went on as if he didn't make a response, in the one post. So Knave's next post *has* to contradict what you've posted, in order to remain consistant with the narrative.

I'm guessing that you (Chieftain) would probably not have carried on with the call to medical if you'd given Knave a chance to respond in between? 'Cause I'm pretty sure you would have either wanted to respond, or see if Tomé would take the deal, and thus there would be no conflict of interest on your part?

Now I'm possibly wrong on all counts, so feel free to carry on as ye have (like ye need my permission for that, right? ::wink) if ye like, and fair enough.

But as an outside player, it reads better when it's a smooth narrative with less of the "but I would have done", "oh, in THAT case I would have done 'x' differently" and so forth.

As for me narrating my own powers (which is similar enough to what I'm suggesting that ye not do ::tongue ), well the secret to Prof not kicking my ass (aka "no, you actually FAILED that power roll, smartarse") is that I typically PM stuff that isn't urgent, like the whole Margareta thing, or the pool of beer. I tell him what I'm shooting for, he tells me the succeed/fail situation, and I just narrate (regardless, I don't take sumpfin' back 'cause I screwed it up) the description.

Just some suggestions guys. ::biggrin

Agreed - totally. Except you mean malkboy and not Chieftain ::wacko . Post what you are trying to do rather than assuming you have succeeded. There are inevitable cases where that won't work, but the trick is to not get too far ahead of yourself which is always the temptation when you want to get More out of the game - I know I know! ::biggrin . If there is a good possibility of things breaking, but you don't want to be limited to a four line post then offer a branch.

::crazy Close one Chieftain! ::shocked ::smiley1 ::thumbsup

::biggrin Yeah - I kinda gave up on that being nice to everyone a while ago. I used to be a nice bloke before I had to use London public transport... honest ::devilangel

btw malkboy leaving an office to find an internal phone has get the all time wierdest excuse award - especially when you went straight back afterwards???

-Knave

... Post what you are trying to do rather than assuming you have succeeded...

Yep - that just about sums up what I'd prefer. Makes it a lot easier for me in any case. ::wink

Oh - & on the 'killing your wife' thing: I'm pretty sure it's not quite that bad (still bad by liberal Western standards though). As far as I understand Islamic law, a husband or wife can divorce their spouse for the crime of adultery - it's just that the husband needs no proof, & the wife needs at least one (male) witness to the event. Strict Muslim law counts things as innocent (in the West) as a married woman making eye-contact with a man who is not her husband as a sexual act that can count as 'adultery'. Women can also be executed for adultery (although again, only in the very strictest of countries is this still widely practiced), & men can't. Remember though, a great majority of the Islamic world doesn't actually go in for this sort of thing on a regular basis (just as most Christians in the world don't burn witches any more).

Then again, I'm not a Muslim myself, so this is all just academic study on my part.

::crazy Close one Chieftain!  ::shocked  ::smiley1  ::thumbsup

::biggrin Yeah - I kinda gave up on that being nice to everyone a while ago.  I used to be a nice bloke before I had to use London public transport... honest  ::devilangel

btw malkboy leaving an office to find an internal phone has get the all time wierdest excuse award - especially when you went straight back afterwards???

-Knave

Hey.. Tome was still on the phone.. True it was with someone that Was walking into the office. But other people might not be quite on the higher thinking plane right that moment. Ian's a bit distracted (Alex is still connected with him after all, and sensing the thoughts of what Alex must be thinking of.. subconsciously for him possibly... is disturbing Ian...) and with the office maybe going to get fuller he needed a second for himself. **** poor excuse and it should show because it was meant to be (by me OOCLY).

As for you brilyn... I try to leave good spots for my statements to be broken or for my replies to stop. You say I make them too long, and too complicated. Fine, since it seems to be a consensus, I'll try and do them shorter. This is still pretty new on me (playing in forums) so give me time to adjust... but thanks for telling me! I can't fix what I don't know is broken.

Hey.. Tome was still on the phone.. Ian's a bit distracted

Good points ::tongue Just struck me as very odd when i read that the second time ::tongue

but thanks for telling me! I can't fix what I don't know is broken.

Yup ::biggrin ::smokin ::thumbsup

I try to leave good spots for my statements to be broken or for my replies to stop.

Yeah, that's cool man. And prior to the QZ game, I'd never played in a Forum before either.

As it is, I dunno. I've just read some of the stuff, and it's cool and fine, and then when someone responds in the middle, I look at what follows, and just think "if that was me, I'd SO want to say something different there, *now* that they've responded". Ya get me? You leave yourself options.

Plus, even if it's only on a subconcious level, people's actions are going to be influenced by what they know you are *going* to do. ::biggrin

I can't fix what I don't know is broken.

Heh..... Words I live by. ::wink

I'm not that worried about being under direct artillery fire, I don't think it would be much worse than taking a point blank tank shell to the face.

Gotta love that.. ::biggrin

When you hear about them being able to say "I devorce you" three times and it be so...and that they can do it over text messaging...its hard not to believe stuff like that.

Whereas in the west its the much more civilised "You cheated on me bltch!" or "Lets be friends!" and it be so.

Edit: Wow, there's a filter for bad language.... I shall resist the temptation to bypass it.

Yeah, and apparently the colloquial version of fecal matter is a word deserving censorship. We're all going to have to talk like Flanders "Darndoodly!!"

Just doesn't feel right...

Again, it very much depends on how someone has defined how their powers work.

As a case in point:

Can Quantuum Bolt be used to PowerBlock Quantuum Bolt?

Depends.

If one is fire, and one is water/ice, then I'd say yes.

Whereas is one is molecular destruction, and one is a blast of air, I'd say no.

But you shouldn't be able to define your quantum bolt into a semi-ethereal armor penetrating all blocking bolt. There's got to be some disadvantage to counterbalance it all. (i.e. take the tarot cards away and no more power or no deepthought reading, something)

For the whole killing your wife thing... Please, please, please don't buy into the crap you see on tv (especially fox news). Sure women are seriously restricted in the mid-east (except for more open minded countries like Lebanon). Looking to history the whole point of those restrictions was to protect them from neighborring villages and raiders, it's just that a 'good' (no comment) idea was taken to a distant extreme by some. Under more controlling governments like the Taliban (one of the harshest offenders of womens rights I've read about) women were deffinately kept under heel, but even then to murder a wife under their rule would get you in some verry serious sh!t. Remeber she does have a father, brother, uncles, etc. they're going to be damned sure to hound the husband if the local magistrates don't.

That Major hands back the phone shaking his head slightly. "No offence Vincent, but when you mention a secure line to the Pentagon, a Cell phone is not the first thing that comes to mind."

Doesn't make much difference if you were gonna patch the call through the DeVries central anyway... Besides, you're gonna have to spend a lot of money and know the right people to get your hands on a more secure phone than the DV issue.

I just wanted to clarify before I was asked by someone.. Unless Alex stopped sharing what his sensations were, yes Ian is responding to the artillery. Maybe DMD has been in similar situations but Ian hasn't.

I just want to know what everyone else thinks about that? I think a telepath would have to respond to stimuli like that.. like sympathy pain.

Prof... Your opinion especially appriciated here... Given you know about Ian's eruption.

I think its a nice touch (roleplaying wise). It probably would've been clearer had you posted about fear, or heart palpitations or something though. I wasn't too sure about what was going on until I read your post here.

Still, I give you not one, nay, but TWO thumbs up! ::thumbsup

Doesn't make much difference if you were gonna patch the call through the DeVries central anyway... Besides, you're gonna have to spend a lot of money and know the right people to get your hands on a more secure phone than the DV issue.

*shrugs* that would be true of a land line call, but mobiles are substancialy easier to eavesdrop on.

Anyway. it's all done now so no problem.

::smile

I just wanted to clarify before I was asked by someone.. Unless Alex stopped sharing what his sensations were, yes Ian is responding to the artillery. Maybe DMD has been in similar situations but Ian hasn't. 

I just want to know what everyone else thinks about that?  I think a telepath would have to respond to stimuli like that.. like sympathy pain.

The thing is that so far DMD hasn't felt pain.

{You really have to wonder at the long term psych effects of having a high soak.}

I thought that was a specific DMD aberration (almost) - 'does not feel pain'. Some of my group have been speculating on Biokinetics working like that - switching their physiologies so that their nerves provide information rather than debilitating pain.

You could probably pull it off with electomanip - but there is an adaptability mod that lets you 'enjoy' being electocuted by unlocking your muscles... I think it falls under that.

As for the telepathy... Naa... Someone could make you THINK you enjoy pain and certainly stop you from freaking out, but it shouldn't be able to actually make it not hurt. So - maybe dampen the penalty, but not remove it.

The more I see DMD do, the more shocked I am that Glacier managed to cut through his soak even a tiny bit that night in the tower. Just how high was that roll? ::shocked

You didn't "cut through his soak", so far nothing has done that.

You got over the puny human barrier, a different thing entirely.

I just want to know what everyone else thinks about that? I think a telepath would have to respond to stimuli like that.. like sympathy pain.

The thing is that so far DMD hasn't felt pain.

{You really have to wonder at the long term psych effects of having a high soak.}

The rep' returns Mojo's nod, & adds,

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better - I'll update the medical notes in your file - very impressive. This is a no-smoking building, though, so if you'd be so kind as to extinguish your cigarette I'll cancel the medical team. Unless you really want to keep smoking that is..."

ROFL ROFL ::smiley1 ::smiley1 ::smiley1 ::smiley1 ::smiley1 ::smiley1 ::smokin

Archived