Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Monster Academy

Justin OOC

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, who (other than Krul's Kyra who is also courting Certain Death ;)) wants to have been aproached by Yuuki in the confusion of departure and offered a handful of assorted seeds with a request 'to keep these safe, dry, and warm until I ask for them back or you can give them to one of my Sisters'? I'm leaving it open to whoever wants it, first come, first serve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

just in case you've been wondering - I'm actually an NPC and not a PC in this game and my appearances are mostly per request.

So if you want me to be in one of your threads or anything else demands my attention please let me know - Either in Chat (I'm Joani btw.) or drop me a PM to either Accounts.

I'm not really following all threads here, shame on me but that's just the way it is.

This is mostly a FYI.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm very much confused by this. Once I heard the phrase yokai, I thought it following shinto mythology. I then immediately exited out of the window, dug out my Gurps, searching for mythological creatures, though Oni captured my interested, and then went on to research early depections of oni in Japanese folklore in contrast to portrayal of oni in modern tourism, war world II propaganda, children's story books, and post-Urusei Yatsura anime and manga. In other words, I wanted to get a good, firm idea of what a oni truly is and was. And becasue of this, if they already existed, I was already getting idea of society, culture, powers, etc. of any possible preexisting oni, and having idea of what background I could use if there were none and I had to make stuff up.

Feeling prepared, I then went back to really read what this was, only to find out that there was nothing Japanese about the 'youkai' at all. And that this seems to resemble Rosario + Vampire, a series I am not particularity fond of, sans the harem. Admitedly, this is my bad.

So, basically, I'm kinda wondering if something based off oni folklore would work, and if it's possible since I was expecting something more serious, than this seems, that if there are going to be perhaps, or have been, more drama filled moments. The high school thing made so much sense to be because the biggest themes behind oni is that they represent powerful outside, unpredictable forces: those with genetic defects, foreigners, law breakers, those with different ways ans customs, scientist, the weather, and tons of other things. I though the symbolism fit the feelings adolescence rather well.

But, lol, I wasn't even sure if my oni was going to be blue or red (or one of the less famous yellow or black variants), which in turn would be determine an important archetype of the character's personality. So, yeah, it's not like I have a totally realized character, or anything.

Yes this game owes much to the Rosario+Vampire manga/Anime, though I've added my own This Academy and the game in many parts is more influenced by Western Mythos and style though, as unless I'm mistaken it is what the entirety of the players are used to as well. I kept some elements making it mreminiscient of a Japanese Private Academy, and tend to use Japan as the setting for any human world interactions, but PC's aren't limied to that.

Aside from the bans on spirits and the undead, I've been fairly permissive on Monster type, provided the Character has a form that looks fully human as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very sorry to everyone, but I'm going to have to withdraw from Monster Academy.

It's not an easy decision for me to make, but my post rate and enthusiasm for posting has not been fair for the rest of you, who deserve better. I've been stretching myself thin since coming back to the boards, and that needs to change.

Justin, please feel free to use Kuro as an NPC so Kat and Skye aren't left hanging in limbo. :) Again, apologies everyone. This was a hard decision for me to take.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but I'm realizing I'm overbooked on games. I'm going to see if this is just some distraction, or in fact I'm over saturated. I will complete my current chapter, and if I still feel overwhelmed, I will shelve Katrina. It's no drama, just Feeling overbooked for characters.

Addendum: I think this won't be the one I drop unless I feel more hammered in creativity.

If you're getting shitty and sarcastic with me over a request to edit a post, then I ask you to stop and leave both the shittiness and sarcasm elsewhere than in the game.

If you meant to be funny with that shitty and sarcastic remark, then I ask you make it more clear that you're joking by putting up a smiley.

If you can do neither, then I ask you to talk to me as minimally as possible.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Due to availability changes, I will be unable to continue with my character here. I'm sorry, but I can only focus on one game.

The reason I have left in the "Availability Changes" post in the General Discussion board.

Characters Effected: Katrina

Justin: Having her drop out of this game will be easy since she's not involved in anything for the moment. Have her go off on the run with someone or something. She's an NPC for you now.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright this game has gotten very glacial on me, I am seriously contemplating skipping ahead to the new year to get you all back together and recconnected.

Still, I am open to ideas.

What I'd like is a simple thing, each player post here if they want to skip ahead and get the the gang together, or continue in separate threads as we are.

I'd like answers from everyone by next monday please. I will still allow fictions to be done in the christmas timeframe, but plot will move beyond it

I'm not sure if I should say I'm on for this or not. If I see you this weekend, Justin, or for my short windows during the week (and I mean short) we could talk about it and have a gameplan.

I'm withdrawing this request.

I feel partially responsible for having my last thread fall apart here and I've not gotten any assurances otherwise, no matter how many times I have been told otherwise. I'm sorry. I'll have to just accept the fact I screwed up and just walk away before I just make matters worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived