World of Darkness: Attrition - Character Connections ((OOC discussion))

Owns-The-Night

On archived fictions and ideas for established character connections:

In the spirit of the reboot, I'd ideally like to start with minimal established character connection and interaction with other PC's to begin with, and build on all that fun stuff again with the new Declan. Personality-wise, he's a fair bit different from the old O.T.N, and that will have an impact on those all-important first meetings. I also plan to rework some of the solo fictions like Wild Soul and others to fit in with the new concept at later dates.

That said, I'm not totally averse to having had IC contact with other PCs prior to the offical restart. I think that ideally the contact should have been fleeting and casual, with one or both party's having not much, if any, clue as to the other's true nature.

What ideas do you guys have? /discuss smile

Absolutely. As OTN knows, having seen my sheet, this Jeremy is a Fairest. He's going to be a little more darkly charming, a bit more Oomph to his personality.

As for IC contact, If you've been to the LA Amphora, you've met him. And he seems so nice you could possibly even trust him with who you are... laugh

Folks, my new (and pending approval) background for Sarah is posted in the Character section. Like I said there, anything that happens after her arrival in Los Angeles is subject to change, pending character connections and the like. I'd *really* like to get a PC-pack sorted out in background - maybe with a background fic or three to describe it - to avoid the usual "you all show up at an inn" kind of game start.

I'm also open to all other kinds of background connections. This isn't quite exactly the same Sarah as before; whilst she's very similar on a lot of notes, she's also a bit more confident that she really does have a purpose, and so she may be a bit more willing to work with her fellow "leeches" when need be.

I'm not playing PCs, remember?

Sarah meeting Lucien would be pretty difficult... the guy doesn't exist for her to have met. This is one of the reasons we went with a full option over the partial option, so I didn't have to explain to, or have explained to me, the things my PC had or had not done already.

And that's fine, Dave. That is why I have that note in my background section:

"All items after arriving in Los Angeles are subject to modification, based upon group efforts to establish background ties as well as permissions by other players (past and present)."

For all I know, Lucien Hunt could still have existed as an NPC. Much as Amber Wren does (albeit in altered form).

EDIT: I've removed specific reference to Lucien Hunt from Sarah's timeline. It is now a generic "playboy mage", with the name left open for potential background ties.

Sarah: Here's an idea, based of the original first fic of Jeremy. Could be prior or at the start. Jeremy finds Sarah feeding in a side alley next to the Amphora. Having had some issues with Vampires previously feeding, he makes a deal (possibly Wyrd pledge) with Sarah, she gets permission to hunt there, but on the condition she provide him any with information on supernatural happenings in the area of interest (or something else, open to major discussion here)

• 3 weeks later...

Pending approval, my character is looking to be an information broker/researcher on things supernatural; likely around the campus of UCLA. Whether anyone wants connections to James Wright, I will leave that open. Hopefully, I'll be known as that "Ghost Guy" or "Spirit Guy" down at the university with the shop. As a normal mortal, I don't mind any pre-setup connections at all.

As an aside, Gary, if you'll give us some info about the shop he's going to run, we can add it to the Google map we have for the game. Dawn made the original, and it was an awesome resource, so we're going to do a little tinkering to make one appropriate for the revision.

Dan's a new guy on campus so I don't see him having too many life long friends there. Still, he might have bumped into one of the other 'special' residents. Werewolves might already be able to tell he's got wolf blood running strong in him. Other then that I can't think of any specific background connections that would fit.

• 1 year later...

That could work. They both tend to keep an eye on their respective territories and scout around beyond them. How exactly the Corvid figured out that Sarah wasn't some semi-homeless mortal... or Sarah figured out that the bird squawking at her wasn't just a bird...

...Oooh! Sarah has Animalism. She could have tried talking to said raven, and gotten more than she bargained for. smile Does that work as a rough plan?

Originally Posted By: Sarah O'Neally
That could work. They both tend to keep an eye on their respective territories and scout around beyond them. How exactly the Corvid figured out that Sarah wasn't some semi-homeless mortal... or Sarah figured out that the bird squawking at her wasn't just a bird...

...Oooh! Sarah has Animalism. She could have tried talking to said raven, and gotten more than she bargained for. smile Does that work as a rough plan?

Ooh. Awesome idea. Remind me how exactly Animalism works as a Discipline?

Well, the first dot of it lets the user talk to animals. It can be slight whispers or full-on animal noises, but yeah, the character can talk to animals... and understand what they say. It's handy; you'd be surprised what a good sharp-eyed bird or a dray of squirrels might spot during the day when the vampire is sleeping (sure, it's all in animal terms, but still useful).

This is year six for Oneca at UCLA, so anyone wanting to know her and has been enrolled there has probably had a class with her or been to one of her parties (or at least got the general invites that permeate the campus). I'm still picking out the residence and will update here once I have it.

Originally Posted By: Sarah O'Neally
Well, the first dot of it lets the user talk to animals. It can be slight whispers or full-on animal noises, but yeah, the character can talk to animals... and understand what they say. It's handy; you'd be surprised what a good sharp-eyed bird or a dray of squirrels might spot during the day when the vampire is sleeping (sure, it's all in animal terms, but still useful).

Do we simply want it to happen and let the reactions fall as they may?

Actually, i'm looking to play a vampiric professor, who has a phD in comparative religion, with a focus on funeral rites. If you are playing a student, who would have been in one of his day classes before he got embraced or in one of his online or night courses he started teaching after his embrace, please let me know, so we can work out ties. Or if you can think up interesting ideas for ties that would work, let me know too. smile

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dozer
Sarah, I'm looking at creating a vampire for this game. Contact me if you'd be interested in seeing about possible ties.

Depends what sort of ties you want. Sarah... is not your usual vampire, and tends to try to stay the hell away from them if she can help it, but it's not impossible that she's found herself dealing with your PC for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Dozer
Actually, i'm looking to play a vampiric professor, who has a phD in comparative religion, with a focus on funeral rites. If you are playing a student, who would have been in one of his day classes before he got embraced or in one of his online or night courses he started teaching after his embrace, please let me know, so we can work out ties. Or if you can think up interesting ideas for ties that would work, let me know too. smile

...and now I actually read this. :P Sarah attended UCSF for a short time, per her timeline; if Nigel taught up there at all back then, it's pretty likely that she'd wind up with his comparative religion class to fill an elective slot.

Archived