Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Heroes United] OOC thread

Justin OOC

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already commented IC that even bringing the issue up shows that we're people of integrity. Actually discussing the system instead of just accepting it as another of our "kewl superhero toys" also shows we're not 4-color, and that we think about the long-term ramifications of our actions (i.e. We're responsible, thus not iron age). Gatekeeper's response is meant to be encouraging by way of deconstructing the problem and showing how serious it is NOT. Despite all this surveillance we have, crime STILL happens and ppl STILL get away with it, so the only thing it really accomplishes is a false sense of security.

I actually like this dynamic we have going. It's like having a D&D party composed of different alignments.

Yeah.

That is why Rachael also suggested she be the one watching. She has the Ethical/Moral restraint. Not sure how MO thinks on the issue, but Rachael doesn't like where it could go in the wrong hands.

*Ahem* WHO'S the boyscout of this group again? :P Scout doesn't like it either, but I had him keep his mouth shut in my first post because he could accept that if it was used propely it could help him do what's right. The end result means that more lives will be saved this way. That said, he knows the slippery slope he's walking on. Suffice it to say, Scout's got VERY good balance ;)

Took me a second to find it, but it couldn't be clearer:

"Don't worry, the safety is on and it defaults to stun even in a malfunction..."

See? Your blaster has a setting that's lethal, therefore you support lethal force, therefore you're a murderer.

Really I'm just underlining a neon sign, I think we can all agree.

I think you and Scout have completely misinterpreted me. I ALWAYS have the weapon on stun. If there is a malfunction when I said it "Defaults" I meant "Won't work in any other setting".

Just a quick point here - if you don't condone lethally shooting people with your weapon, why is there any setting other than stun?

I feel I should clarify a few things before I make my next post, but the bottom line for me is this: Yes, let's move on.

The question of other proposals was specifically referring to his idea of using an AI rather than people to monitor the feeds. He wasn't proposing not using the network, just adding another layer of protection in the form of an AI.

OOC I realize that. IC, I was having Scout voice his opinion that that probably wouldn't cut it. We either need to be on board with this entirely, or not at all. We can't just 'find a way around it'.

I'll delete that post as I wouldn't have reacted that way at all if that was just thought.

I do have to ask when have I threatened to kill anyone in that room?

,, ,,

You didn't. You just indicated a willingness to entertain the use of lethal force.

So you know, now you're on the same moral level as a murderer. :)

,, ,,

WHEN did I do that?

,, ,,

Took me a second to find it, but it couldn't be clearer:

"Don't worry, the safety is on and it defaults to stun even in a malfunction..."

See? Your blaster has a setting that's lethal, therefore you support lethal force, therefore you're a murderer.

Really I'm just underlining a neon sign, I think we can all agree.

The Neon sign that Salmon Max is talking about is Scout's worldview. It's straight up black and white, good and bad. He doesn't see the grey areas. The implication that your gun had a setting other than 'stun' is more than enough wiggle room for Scout's brain to think, "Oh, well, that's just as good as signing someone's death certificate." You may have all the safety precautions in the world in place on that thing, but as a man of the military, Scout thinks that anyone who carries a gun is a person that's willing to use a gun. Guns are guns. They come in two types: Lethal, Semi-Automatically Lethal. Scout's reaction to your posts was in essence trying to establish the part of his character that tells you in no uncertain terms that he can't see the difference in "being willing to kill someone if I have to," and "give me a gun and tell me where to point it!" He's mentioned that those that kill have a hard time finding themselves again. He's one of the people that made it back from that brink and it was a tough journey for him. He doesn't want anyone in the group to have to deal with that, and all the hell it's going to cause along the way. Thus he's incredibly offended by the fact that Dr. Northlight is willing to kill (in his eyes if no one else's), but takes a stand on the cameras. In his eyes there's no difference in the misuse of technology (what the platform of her argument is based on) via shooting someone with a gun, or watching them with a camera. They're both a misuse, and if you're so adamant about one, why are you willing to do the other?

I think you and Scout have completely misinterpreted me. I ALWAYS have the weapon on stun. If there is a malfunction when I said it "Defaults" I meant "Won't work in any other setting".

So, then, yes. Scout has misinterpreted you. But he hasn't brought that to light yet. It will come up later, though, I'm sure.

Just a quick point here - if you don't condone lethally shooting people with your weapon, why is there any setting other than stun?

AFAIK, system-wise, any damage effect is lethal, and to stun you need afflict.

IC-wise, Rachael designed the pistol to have one mode that can cut or damage a device (like a robot) or some other thing, saving the stun setting for people.

Rule systems aside, Scout thinks that if it can cut metal, it can cut skin. If you can kill a robot with it, you can kill a human with it. The Barret .50 Cal is a weapon designed as an anti-tank weapon. But it still fires depleted uranium rounds capable of vaporizing a human body if used in ways that are outlawed by the Geneva convention. Scout's a soldier, and you should expect him to think like one.

Fixed the name issue. I can't keep track of names in real life, and now I have a new group of people with two names, no names, and screen names to keep up with. My apologies. If it happens again just let me know OOC and I'll change it.

As far as the name issue goes, I'd like to share my method for avoiding confusion where heroic vs civilian personas are concerned. When I'm speaking as Scout, I refer to him as Scout using things like, "Scout said," or "Scout sighed after he finished speaking," If he's dressed in his civvies, I instead use language like, "Johnathan walked down the street while talking to his friend," That allows other players to know what persona I am in, and more importantly how to refer to my character in their own posts. If Scout is talking, then you should call me Scout. If Johnathan is talking, you should call me Johnathan. Using different color text also helps. Johnathan talks like this. Scout talks like this.

Okay, now, let's move on. Let's keep this game a little lighter like the Avengers. We're here to defend the innocent and save lives, not to delve into serious political issues like invasions of privacy and such. I want this game to be the marvel avengers universe, not the Nolan Batman movies.

That's the game we all signed up for, right?

Well, I think we can have both, but we should definitely be more Avengers than Batman.

One thing to keep in mind though, Star Trek: the Next Generation asked the hard questions, but set them in a Noblebright universe. Although the Federation did take a slightly more darker turn than the original series, it still was for the most part THE United Federation of Planets. We can keep some of that here too. I don't want moral/ethical problems coming up everywhere we turn, because then it turns into Philosophy: The Navelgazing and not A bunch of big damn hero(ine)s laying the smackdown on every criminal's candyass.

I like asking the big questions though, because then that establishes us as the good guys. Even if our methods are a bit unorthodox or illegal. Actually in some cases patently illegal, then again the super life early on isn't exactly easy, isn't it?

Though I have been annoyed at some points in this, I am largely very happy with how things have gone so far. People have been able to explore their characters and truly interact, seeing just who is standing with them. This isn't quite where I wanted to go, but I can adapt easily enough.

At any rate on with the show, and I'll be posting shortly

Gatekeeper is 21 and just barely out of college. He'll seem like a teen since he's deeply immersed in nerd-culture.

Oh and Dr. Northlight refers to herself as "Rebecca" in that last post.

Can you link to it, please, I am not finding it in my last post. I may have corrected it before you posted.

Okay, that works. Scout's around 25 or so If I remember my own character properly :P

And while I missed that detail, I think I'll keep the 'doctor' in there. Scout's being respectful ;)

She's not a real Doctor.

I don't know how to link to other posts, but it's post #139 in the IC thread where the name changes.

,, ,,

Since we need a battle plan before we go to ch.2, we may as well brainstorm here.

Since the monitor room is showing exactly where the trouble is going on in real time, Gatekeeper can and will warp you all there immediately. After that, unless ordered otherwise, he'll try to corral the magma-elementals by halting them or forcibly teleporting them back to one spot.

Okay as we are doing some IC stuff before the next thread, I got some questions.

1: Do we have access to any paramedic equipment?

2: Do we have a large vehicle to carry said equipment?

3: Do we have access to a large supply of liquid nitrogen?

What I was thinking is having our strong fliers or people capable of carrying them drop said vats of Liquid Nitrogen on this horde. At the very least it would slow them down. Meanwhile the rest of us can first get innocent bystanders out of the reach of these things, not to mention I at the very least can handle starting a triage at a safe location before joining the rest of the team in the fight.

Yeah, I think Doc and Slither will be Hero Support, at least at first; as far as some of the other stuff Doc was hoping for, barring the LN most of the other stuff will be the first responders' purview. If we can aid them or keep them safe, we'll be just as important as the big guns. Heroes are really good at coming up with stuff on the spot, so I expect some wacky power stunting in the field!

Archived