[M&M3e] Tomorrow Comes Today - OOC

Sailor OOC

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone's convenience, the event happens on June 3rd, 2013. All preludes take place between June 3, 2013 and June 3, 2014.

Also, I am starting my prologue for the series as well here. I will be introducing friendly NPCs and setting up little tidbits of what will be the plot. Enjoy.

I am banning the Alternate Resistance extra for use with Parry or Dodge.

I have Alternate Resistance: Dodge on WW's bolos. I really don't think Will or Fortitude is appropriate resistances for cords that wrap around your legs and because of that, I have no idea which to choose. Tommy, please tell me which one you'd like me to set as the resistance.

My pace may be slow and deliberate with this over the next couple of weeks leading to the 21st. I've not had time to write things down on my end that I can use and I'm not feeling like I'm getting my head above the mechanical issues to provide a game. If this is not satisfactory, I understand.

I'm just overwhelmed at the moment and need a little patience.

Something I forgot to mention about caps, very important to growth users and what-not. When you use a power like growth, that can cause you to bump into the PL cap. Other powers may cause that too. So I follow a rule of "Diminishing Returns". Where as you grow, for instance, once you hit a cap, you can't improve what is effected by the cap further, but you can still grow larger.

I hope I explained well enough.

10541724.jpg

Character Name: Min-Max

Alternate Identity: Dr. Jeena Vanderpool

Identity: Public

Birthplace: New York, NY

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 5'

Weight: 122 lbs.

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Blonde

Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)

Abilities:

Strength: 0

Stamina: 2

Agility: 4

Dexterity: 3

Fighting: 4

Intellect: 7

Awareness: 2

Presence: 2

Defenses:

Dodge: 10

Parry: 10

Fortitude: 10

Toughness: 10

Will: 6

Skills:

Acrobatics 6 (+10)

Close Combat [unarmed]: 4 (+8)

Deception: 4 (+6, +10 Attractive)

Expertise: [Current Events]: 3 (+10)

Expertise [Engineering]: 8 (+15)

Expertise [Pop Culture]: 3 (+10)

Expertise [science]: 8 (+15)

Insight: 8 (+10)

Intimidation 3 (+5)

Perception: 8 (+10)

Persuasion: 4 (+6, +10 Attractive)

Technology: 8 (+15)

Treatment: 3 (+10)

Vehicles: 2 (+3)

Advantages:

Attractive 2

Benefit: Wealth 4

Connected

Improvised Tools

Linguistics 2 (French, Japanese)

Skill Mastery 2 (Engineering, Technology)

Powers:

Communication 2 (Mental, Area-Effect Selective Subtle 1, 1 mile radius)

Shrinking 20 (Atomic, Subtle 1)

Linked Power: Flight 2 (Limited, no larger than Size -7)

AP: Growth 12

Abilities (48) + Powers (38) + Advantages (12) + Skills (24) + Defenses (28) = 150/150 Power Points

This is Min-Max so far; still working on all her background stuff.

I removed the thread I was doing for three reasons.

1: Until I get some stuff worked out with this game, I am just unable to think about plot.

2: The first post I made did make it look like everyone would be playing in the shadows of my DMNPC. I'm avoiding that.

3: I should just focus on what you guys have to deal with and the thread was a needless distraction.

,, ,,

Now, as for Inventor. You don't need it to make permanent devices. You do need it for quick "one-shot" inventions. Combined with Improvised tools, you can MacGyver in a desperate moment.

Now... that's what I gotta say about that.

I AM going to make a thread with all my house rules once I have time.

That will be after I recharge my batteries. I'll see where I am in my head with this next Monday.

That is not a complete explanation of the situation, from my perspective, so since my name was pulled into it, I'm going to expound a bit.

There are already two submitted, approved, and posted female, incredibly wealthy, science/tech focused, inventor characters in the game. I've already redone half my character sheet once so that Dahlia and Watchwoman weren't stomping all over each other in gameplay. Adding a third female, incredibly wealthy, science/tech focused, inventor character into the mix makes Dahlia, already a fairly heavily pigeon-holed/niched character pretty much useless save for the HQ I spent PP on for the team.

I feel like either you didn't take the time to look at the characters that had already been approved for play by the ST or you didn't care about replicating what was already there - twice. Watchwoman and Min-Max both have combat capabilities. Please, for the love of whatever, leave my character something to actually contribute to the game. Otherwise she's just the cripple girl with the posh crash-space and I might as well just scrap her.

Yeah... honestly the female, incredibly wealthy, science/tech focused, inventor type is pretty much done to death.

Oh, wait, don't forget... you have to have Attractive 2 also... can't make a female PC without having a level of Attractive or two. Without that she's just not hawt enough!

Am I the only guy who actually is playing a guy in this game, besides Cade? We have two guys... and 5 gals. Lovely.

That kinda gender split seems to be pretty normal. I think because lots of guys like playing girls, but girls are less likely to want to play guys. Even with a fairly even split on player sex, or even slanted towards more guys, you end up with a group of girls and a few token males.

Bastion would love being around all the hawt ladies, I'd've thought? ;):P

What hot ladies? You all have Attractive 2... which basically means all you guys become is the 'average'. Now if one of you were hawt, and someone else was less so, and someone had Presence to set them apart, maybe... but you guys pretty much all made the same, pretty character.

It basically becomes 'eh, I've seen it before', after the initial shock wears off. Besides, most of the guys who play gals (and even the guys they play) have all the social acumen of the common garden slug, so I tend to go on postage and presence, not hawtness. The better the female presents herself IC, the more credibility they have with my PC. :)

I think I owe everyone an explanation.

I was getting overly frustrated with this game. I felt I needed to make snap decisions and I was overly focused on things I should have kept in the back of the queue. I focused on the wrong things. I felt that whatever decision I made wasn't good enough or was not to anyone's liking one bit. I felt everything I did was wrong and I quite honestly had no way of knowing otherwise than through player input. Unfortunately I either got none, or input that reenforced my negative view of this game as a whole.

I honestly wish this could have gone off, and right, but if the reason why this failed in it's start was a lack of planning, I did have a plan but it ended up thrown out for the sake of simplicity.

To be honest, this game was doomed from the start.

Also, knowing now what I've learned from this, I am never going to attempt to run anything here again. Not solo, and not without a world that is already there to work with.

No, no explanation is needed.

Did you notice that no one really took this news with any measure of surprise? I mean, really, you posted you were out some 12 hours ago and no one had anything to say about it. You had to come in and give an explanation in a thread that people had already quit reading.

Why?

Because we expected this. I knew from the get go that you'd quit, back out, or have some kind of episode and quit the whole thing. Seriously, we're not surprised anymore.

The fact is though Tommy, you could've done this. You chose to quit before it even got started because all you do is constantly surround yourself with self doubt and second guessing. You had a pool of Story Tellers here that you could have come to for ideas, assistance, or even advice. Even if you had to spoil a little bit of the plot to one of use that still would have made it into a story. We're here to have fun, and tell tales, not fret over a simple detail or two. We could've and would've helped you.

Quitting is easier though. It always is.

Actually I did try. All I get is either no response or "you should know this".

You can see why I internalized.

No, I can't. I don't recall you asking me for help. I'm really not trying to attack you, but I want to be clear, because you are attacking us. You're telling us that this is our fault, that we drove you to it. We did not. I don't want to fight about this, but I won't stand silent while you say, "you guys wouldn't help me, so I pulled all this inside me and imploded."

You didn't ask me for help. I want to be clear - if you asked me for help, I didn't realize that it was a request or, if in chat, I didn't see the request. If that happened, I'm sorry, but I give help to STs and players all the time on the site. I wanted you to succeed, and not because I was a player; I love to see STs blossoming with confidence and having fun in their games. If I saw an issue, one that I thought would impact your game negatively, I said something as politely as I could.

The bottom line is that no ST is a rock. I ask for help from my fellow STs all the time. I even ask advice from players, often to an awesome effect (the most awesome was when I asked a PC more knowledgeable about explosives about the hospital in DR, and we ended up with the Time that Courier Blew Up His PC story that everyone loves). If I had internalized, I'd have dropped all my games long ago.

The bottom line is that no ST is a rock. I ask for help from my fellow STs all the time. I even ask advice from players, often to an awesome effect (the most awesome was when I asked a PC more knowledgeable about explosives about the hospital in DR, and we ended up with the Time that Courier Blew Up His PC story that everyone loves).

Ahhh, those were the days...

Want to hear something honest?

I was too scared. Simple as that. I didn't want to show I didn't have a handle on things.

It's fine to be scared. No one would have thought less of you (well, maybe Dave, but he's Dave ;) ). And here's something else: no ST ever has a handle on things. If they say they do, they're way better at it than me, or they're lying, or they're delusional.

And here's something else: no ST ever has a handle on things. If they say they do, they're way better at it than me, or they're lying, or they're delusional.

So much fact in that line.

90% of STing is making shit up. Seriously. You have an idea and you work in that idea, everything else never survives first contact with the players. That's where calling on your players and fellow STs comes in.

Dawn's right though. You never came to us for us for help. Hell, Tommy, I'd have co-STed something with you if it would have helped you feel more confident. I'd be willing to help any way I can, you know that, but I'm not these other guys who want to hold you with kid gloves. I'm going to tell it to you straight:

You are the only thing holding you back.

I shared an idea last night and I heard 1,000 reasons why it wouldn't work. A few people though thought it'd be an awesome idea, and that was enough for me. If it fails, it fails. We've lost nothing, we've gained nothing. I'd rather try than not bother in the first place though.

Yes, in fact, I was one of your proponents. You can only know if a concept will fail by experimenting. I didn't have the confidence to take that next step.

At least with your idea, once you propose it, there is the potential of having a cadre of STs and a built world.

Heck, didn't at one time I ask to get under someone's wing?

Archived