[M&M3e] Tomorrow Comes Today - OOC

Sailor OOC

TOMORROW COMES TODAY

Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition

Full Roster! TUESDAY DEADLINE FOR CHARACTERS!

Hello everyone. As the site comes out of it's spring season of new games sprouting and a few have made it into the coming summer, there seems to have also been interest in a lighthearted superheroes game. Although one rooted in the Real World in a lot of ways. Now these two games at first not really seem to mix. Our world is in shades of grey, while a superheroic world is made more, for the most part a children's genre. 4-color with clear-cut boundaries between good and evil, where morality and ethics are obvious.

So, I had to put some thought into it. Now generally any world with supers is effected starting from when superheroes appear. A Real-World time line becomes affected by such an event. I could, in my usual fashion detail a time line about this. But I am going to do something uncharacteristic.

This didn't change a thing.

Simply put, wherever heroes were in a position to help there were antagonists that would interfere, block, stymie, or simply create an obstruction that slowed or stopped progress. Sometimes. Certain events that could have been changed for the better, instead turn out as they do in RL. It's just with superhumans now involved as well as the other important and notable figures of the times.

This leads to the matters of Superhumans.

They now have been around for quite a bit. A world team has been founded, although there are independent superhumans walking about. There are a few unique things about superhumans that differentiate them from other styles of superhero.

A superhuman has one solid theme behind heir powers. They aren't a wizard, they are a pyromancer. They're not a paragon, they have super strength and can literally leap tall buildings in a single bound. Their powers tend to stem from that theme and fit in it. A Flier for instance may be super-fast and generate a air field allowing them to hit someone like a bullet. It's just how it goes.

Super geniuses are a thing, and they have, and currently use powered armor as some of their powered options. While their suits allow them to have a little more creativity and are able to cover a few more bases, their suits have a glaring weakness. This is chosen at character generation.

Supernatural powers, Magic, Psionics, and Faith stem from the same source. Magic is a working of the will, as well as Psionics. As such they tend to cancel each other out. Faith, a belief that transverses Mind, Body, and Soul trumps all three, but there is a dichotomy in Faith between Light and Darkness.

Supernatural creatures have an alien mindset. Vampires are predators, super intelligent and hyper-charismatic, Werewolves are primal berserkers and defenders of nature, and the Fae Kind are flighty, aloof creatures of the unknown aether.

Aliens are unheard of and are thought of as nothing more than a figment of science fiction. Yeah. Right. Aliens residing on earth are very, very rare. They are invariably human looking, and blend in fairly enough.

Now for the hard information

I intend to form a team-based plot-driven game. I will allow players to make sub-stories between plot threads.

I am not adverse to having independent characters in the game, but the logistics involved wit making a plot for the team and a plot for the independent characters may either be easy or hard depending on the goals. As such I would prefer if independent characters still have some interest in at least helping those that join the team.

The team will be based in the United States. Mill City, a mid-western metropolis in the state of Minnesota will be the headquarters. The city is being built over the wreckage of old Minneapolis, that was devastated in a Tornado outbreak. In fact the first chapter of this campaign will be your characters responding to this crisis, then a year or so later time jump as the city is being rebuilt. And yes there will be more to this plot than pulling people out of rubble.

Trust me. This is how you guys become heroes and heroines. Or... at least garner enough respect to get a HQ of your own in the new downtown. Consider this a prelude.

The power level is PL 10, 150 Power Points starting.
Skills are purchased at 3 skill ranks per power point spent, and the purchase of Expertise skills is encouraged.
All players are required to have a motivation with a paragraph describing their motivation. They are also required to have three complications, with one paragraph each. Submission of a good background will net up to 2 power points, and another three power points is given if the player writes up a nemesis for their character, to be submitted with their character.

Experience will be slow. Every month a character is active, they get one power point. Every plot thread they are actively participating in (one post a week, 4 posts a month minimum) will also net a power point for that month if the plot thread is still active. Every completed thread earns the participants 1 power point for every page of a thread, I will award said power points at the end of a thread (similar to how Krul awarded points in CoQF). I will also request that your posted character sheet have a experience manifest as the last post of your character sheet, this should have your current experience, experience spent, and earned experience on it. As well as what you spent experience on. Also links to the theads you participate in will also be appreciated.

I would prefer that anyone considering joining post a minimum of one post a week (7 days). Also, during combat, I will need people to post when it is their initiative, within 24 hours of my announcing it is their turn. During plot theads, I will be posting and upkeeping any threads on Saturday.

When a character is submitted, it must have the [TCT] prefix before their character's heroic identity.

This game will start by June 15th, or when 5 people join, whichever comes sooner. Banned and Restricted powers will be added to this post before the start of the game, as well as additional equipment.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds interesting and I'm nominally interested, with the caveat that I think I need further explanation of:

This is the general changes to the world. As such, racism is a rare aberration, anti-antisemitism is relegated to third world countries, the world is otherwise generally a peaceful place, and corporations are held in check by the public trust they serve instead of their shareholders.

There was no mention of the other -isms: sexism, homophobia, ableism, etc. The history also doesn't really mention why racism has been negated, particularly in the US. The Communist Party in the U.S. was one of the greatest proponents of the Civil Rights Movement.

The world is largely peaceful but not Africa and the Middle East - why? Why are Muslims in Southeast Asia not as violent as their cohorts in the Middle East?

How did Israel become separated (and wouldn't it be Isreal and Palestine, instead North Israel and South Israel like it sounds above?

What about the other wars between WWII and now? Vietnam, Korea, Gulf Wars I & II, etc?

The world sounds interesting but there are some things that I don't see why they are set that way. If you could explain the background, I'd probably be able to understand it better. Thanks!

Not sure if I'll play or not, but just as a reader, I'm not sure the idea of major world conflicts being mostly obsolete is plausible, or even advisible, for an action/adventure game setting. Even if the action doesn't revolve around international tension, that sort of thing can add drama even to seemingly unrelated conflicts.

It also adds verisimilitude, since it's hard to imagine something as elemental as stereotyped 'isms' will be completely gone, or even reduced to inconsequential levels, anytime soon.

I'll endeavor to answer these questions, Dawn.

• There was no mention of the other -isms: sexism, homophobia, ableism, etc. The history also doesn't really mention why racism has been negated, particularly in the US. The Communist Party in the U.S. was one of the greatest proponents of the Civil Rights Movement.

The communist pary in of itself still exists, but it is a very, very small one, such as it is today. Also, at least in the US, homophobia is still being "worked on" in some areas, although great strides are being made. Many supers, some famous, have stood up for civil rights in the intervening years to take up any slack. Of course there have been powerful bigots on the other side as well.

• The world is largely peaceful but not Africa and the Middle East - why? Why are Muslims in Southeast Asia not as violent as their cohorts in the Middle East? How did Israel become separated (and wouldn't it be Isreal and Palestine, instead North Israel and South Israel like it sounds above?

The North/South thing was a error in my part, it is Israel and Palestine. Also in the Middle East sectarian conflict is, sadly, a thing even in the real world. Of course as there has been less interferance in Middle Eastern affairs other than the Israel situation, things are limited to the borders they occur in. For instance, the Kurd/Iraqi situation. That has always been tense.Same for other countries where instead of two different peoples there are two different "denominations" for lack of a better term of Islam.

If there is any consolation, the Middle East isn't the only place that is having sectarian violence. Northern Ireland pops off once every few years as well as zealotslose their calm on either side.

• What about the other wars between WWII and now? Vietnam, Korea, Gulf Wars I & II, etc?

Korea happened. Unlike the resuts in the real world, due to supers being involved on the UN side, the communist koreans were routed, and the Chinese stymied at the Korean boder. The penensula is a united, democratic county.

Vietnam was a far shorter conflict for the US' involvement, as again there wasn't any support of the communists from outide. That and the group causing a communist borne rebellion was far smaller. It did turn into a humanitarian crisis as the war dragged on before the UN intervened. The US being a leading actor in this affair.

The Gulf Wars are a odd tangle. The first one I think happened, although with supers involvement it was a rather messy affair, leading to the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regieme during the first war, thus not necessitating another.

The world has been generally peaceful, in particular the last couple of decades. (Almost all of the 1990's and the 00's)

Africa on the other hand, sadly, is like it is in the Real World. Warlords in the leat developed countries trying to garner power in their third-world countries, while using the supers in their borders as pawns. The more developed African nations such as those bordering the Mediterranean or South Africa are having to occasionally defend themselves with their militaries. Pushing back certain groups to their original borders.

I've taken some time to think, and I want to run this by everyone before I go with this instead as a world timeline.

The world history is completely unchanged until 2012. Supers are a recent thing, and people are now trying to sort out what to make of superhumans. And there is enough and alot of them where the usual "Supers are the others, so we must hate them" just doesn't seem like what I want with this game, so I am thinking the reaction through most of the civilized world is positive. Although I would imagine those with magical or psionic origins would be looked on more suspiciously as "people who meddle with powers normal folk don't understand". Vampires and Werewolves are imbedded in the popular culture, now suddeny they're real... you can imagine the number of groupies and wanna be monster hunters operating in equal number.

I'm not sure how much damage supers appearing will do, but having it be a recent phenomenon seems a better option, as doing otherwise could cause alot of plotting headache as where I pull one thread another unravels. So... you guys okay with that instead?

I can still go with the original idea, but perhaps simplifing it to where supers are basically on such a level that they are the major movers of the world, thus keeping a RL timeline, but with supers providing a proxy for nations.

This isn't a panicked response, I just think this can be easier for all involved. I just gotta think of why a team has formed.

There is one final option to this, that perhaps might be the simplest solution.

Simpy put from the first supers of WWII all the way to just about now there either haven't been enough supers to make drastic changes, or there have been enough on either side of a conflict where the effectiveness of one side or the other is rendered useless. All the way to the point where the game begins, history has played out as normal, save an event or two that have locality, that is more of a footnote, but otherwise have happened.

It is the players actions in 2013 that start to move the fulcum of history.

Is this a acceptible option if the first two are not?

Actually this sounds the most appealing to me. I'm going to go with this. I will change the background accordingly and add a few things.

Now to focus on power house rules.

House Rules

Power Level: 10

Starting Power Points: 150

Tradeoffs Allowed?: Yes, within reason.

Skill Rank Cost: 3 Skill Ranks for every one power point.

Banned Advantages: None

Banned Powers: Anything that allows Time Travel. Dimensional movement must have a drastic complication tied to it, or a unreliable flaw. Anything that grants a precognative effect (except for danger sense).

All players are required to have a motivation with a paragraph describing their motivation. They are also required to have three complications, with one paragraph each. Submission of a good background will net up to 2 power points, and another three power points is given if the player writes up a nemesis (NO STATS, I DO THAT.) for their character, to be submitted with their character.

Experience will be slow. Every month a character is active, they get one power point. Every plot thread they are actively participating in (one post a week, 4 posts a month minimum) will also net a power point for that month if the plot thread is still active. Every completed thread earns the participants 1 power point for every page of a thread, I will award said power points at the end of a thread (similar to how Krul awarded points in CoQF). I will also request that your posted character sheet have a experience manifest as the last post of your character sheet, this should have your current experience, experience spent, and earned experience on it. As well as what you spent experience on. Also links to the theads you participate in will also be appreciated.

I would prefer that anyone considering joining post a minimum of one post a week (7 days). Also, during combat, I will need people to post when it is their initiative, within 24 hours of my announcing it is their turn. During plot theads, I will be posting and upkeeping any threads on Saturday.

When a character is submitted, it must have the [TCT] prefix before their character's heroic identity.

,, ,,

Armor.pdf

Equipment.pdf

Custom equipment/armor lists above.

Precognition/Postcognition update...

Pre/Postcognition is two ranks instead of four ranks of Special Sense, but it works differently, where for every level of Pre/Post you take you can see further back or forward reliably. As in what you see in the future is a fixed point in time unless you intervene, or it is a known event in the past. Anything past that time frame follows the standard rules. Others can help you correct an event seen in Precognition. How far back or forward you can see is based on Rank 0 of the Time/Measurements scale, starting from there. Every two ranks of Special Sense you devote to Pre/Postcognition moves you forward on the chart one rank.

Communication Update...

Communication now costs 2 points a rank, not 4.

I am interested, but I have had a bad run with RPGPost games (on my side, you guys are great). I do not want to play it that means someone else is excluded. I have yet to play a game for more that a few posts. If this means you would prefer me not to play even if there is room, that's ok to.

A few thoughts.

1: If I disallow something, there is a reason. A solid, logical reason. Trying to put me in a arm lock to change my opinion will not only get you no where, but will also get even greater scrutiny and analysis over what you are building.

2: If I disallow something, don't get passive aggressive with me after beng that guy who previously placed me in a armlock to muscle a game breaking concept through.

3: Don't try to sweet talk me either before presenting a broken concept. That'll get you two strikes right there in my book.

I am really not thinking about the game suddenly having to fight with people over something I should be having fun with. So I am saying this now, if your whole goal is to find loopholes to exploit to make a invincible or game breaking character because you think you can? Here's the door, don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out. I've not cleaned it for a while, it's rusty, and somewhat jagged.

If I get any more prospective munchkns to be I'm just going to flip my wig.

Well it's open. And you're still banned from the game, by the way.

As for everyone else... characters. I will start taking submissions once I get the gear list up.

Also, please note the Amor and Equipment files on the House Rules post... those have some additional bits of equpment, and some slight changes to availiable armor.

Also... Characters may be submitted... NOW.

NEWS FLASH!

If you guys wish to port-over a character you had played elsewhere, feel free to convert and have me get a gander at it.

Also if you guys feel up to it, please post up a one to two paragraph profile of your charater here so people know who is playing what. Although I do not enforce niche protection, variety is the spice of life.

Excellent.

There is something I am going to do as Carv did with me and the other participants of Magisterium. I may roleplay a prelude with you in chat. When this happens, it will line you up to the starting plot, and get out of the way your origin.

Also there is something I want to ask of the players, what is your OOC feelings of having everyone a team at the start of the actual story?

Watchwoman is all about her gadgets. She does have powers but prefers to not use them. Thus she relies on stuff and training, as well as being tactics and leadership, as necessary.

I'm fine with being a team, but if we are, can we please be a newly formed team so that we don't have the situation where our PCs should know each other and how to work together, but we don't actually? Cause that is so jarring to me, to read "oh, yes, we've done this before" ICly, and then it feels like we're feeling each other out and getting to know how the team functions.

So have you worked up a list of banned powers and whatnot? I'd hate for someone to go to all the trouble of creating a character only to find out they used something you intended to ban.

I want everyone to know, that if you think your background is what hinges on your participation in the game, you may want to re-consider how flexible you are. Also yes, I'm not taking anything outright dark. Please keep that in mind.

Oh and you just write up who your nemesis is, not the stats.

Ditto. An old character I made who was basically comic relief and complete whackjob but in a good guy way. He was inspired by Freakazoid, the Genie from Aladdin, and The Joker (minus the evil, bits).

Or, I was considering playing Sebastian 'Bastion' Stone (minus the anger issues)... a young adult who wakes up one day and finds out he's Superman.

House rule update.

I am going to allow Precognition, and I am changing how Postcognition works a little bit.

[Kamiko] 12:24 pm: Pre/Postcognition is two ranks instead of four ranks of Special Sense, but it works differently, where for every level of Pre/Post you take you can see
further back or forward reliably. As in what you see in the future is a fixed point in time unless you intervene, or it is a known event in the past. Anything past that time frame
follows the standard rules.
[Kamiko] 12:25 pm: Oh Measurements table, you are a problem solver.
[Kamiko] 12:25 pm: Oh, and others can help you correct an event seen in Precognition.

I will update the house rules accordingly.

Here ya go. Ready and set. I'm typing up his background but here's his stats so people can review and know what to expect from him.

Gabriel Sebastian ‘Bastion’ Stone - PL 10

Strength 12 – Bastion is incredibly powerful with super human strength.
Stamina 12 – Incredibly hardy, Bastion possesses super human levels of resilience.
Agility 3 – Swift and athletic, years of football and high school sports have made him quite agile.
Dexterity 1 – Tossing the pigskin around and nailing touchdowns.
Fighting 8 – Always the tough guy, but with his new powers he’s found certain things come easy.
Intellect 0 – Just an average kid, with an average brain.
Awareness 1 – Slightly higher than average, gotta know where to toss that pigskin to!
Presence 0 – Average guy. Handsome, well built, athletic… but just average.

Skills
Expertise: (Drawing) 7 (+7), Insight 6 (+7), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+7), Ranged Combat: Throwing 7 (+8)

Advantages
Power Attack

Powers
Flight: Flight 9 (1,000 MPH)

Invulnerability: Enhanced Stamina 10, Immunity 10 (Life Support), Impervious Toughness 12

Super-Speed: Quickness 2

Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 10, plus Enhanced Strength 2, Limited to Lifting (Lifting Str 14; 400 tons)

Offense
Initiative +2
Throw +8 (Ranged, Damage 12)
Unarmed, +8 (Close, Damage 12)

Complications
Power Loss: Bastion loses his powers and his Str and Sta are reduced to 3 under conditions that produce radiation similar to those produced by Class M through Class Y stars.

Relationships: Bastion’s closest relationship is with his family, his mother, and stepfather.

I’m No Hero: Bastion is weighed by a powerful sense of self-doubt. He is not a hero, he never asked to have powers and he just wants to be a normal guy. Constant fear grips him that he will fail or accidentally hurt someone. As a result, Bastion cannot spend Hero Points. His survival instinct is still active and he can still spend them to save his own skin, however.

Just A Guy: Gabriel Sebastian Stone, just a regular guy trying to survive his last year of high school.

Vulnerability: Bastion is as vulnerable to magic as anyone else. His Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.

Weakness: Bastion is vulnerable to incredibly rare and difficult to produce sound waves that stimulate the Delta Waves in his brain. The frequency saps the Strength and powers of Bastion, leaving him impaired, disabled, and eventually debilitated in terms of Strength and power effects. Long-term exposure (usually a matter of minutes) imposes the dying condition and may lead to death. The frequency has far less effect on humans, little to none unless exposed over a long period of time, in which case catatonia and irreversible comas can result.

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 8

Okay... I've had all I can stand and I can't stand no more!

Luckily this is still in character creation so things can be modded accordingly.

Communication is now 2 points per rank, not 4.

You may thank me later.

Stone: I will get to your character soon, although I would like this convo in PM. Send your character to me there.

Archived