Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - New game in semi-gritty universe - Recruitment

Heritage

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RushingMountain> can you link to a character sheet, or explain your character here? The so-called space game is going to happen; see the post above for more info on characters that should work well:

Kaz> Normally I'm not a huge fan of alternate dimension stuff in my straight-up comics, but what is your idea? If it's cool enough, I can make an exception.

Prof and Gak> I'm not sure I like having two Japanese characters operating in the same Midwest city; do they both *have* to be from Japan?

American of Japanese descent might work for one of you--or both if you kept strong ties to your family in Japan. Many families do, especially the first few generations.

I'm having trouble getting inspired for the space game, but I will come up with something. I just don't have anything to give you yet. Mostly, it is a matter of getting myself in the right frame of mind.

Hehe. Most of my super ideas are grittier...people from off the street...people who try to have normal lives too.

But I like the idea of a 'career' hero.

I'd still like to try a temporal manipulator/speedster. Or I could try a PL10 version of my photokineticist idea from Jim's game way back when...

Hmm!

I've drawn up his history here. It's submitted under the official link, but I'll spoiler it here for ease:

Hellhound's History
Russell is the descendant of one of the more prominent ancient magical bloodlines. However, his own family tree split from the more recognized members of that bloodline ages ago. Many of his family do not even realize the power that their blood holds. Russell used to be one of the many.

Russell was 18 when his sister was kidnapped. The police were helpless. Their family didn't have the money to pay the kidnappers. In a last desperate attempt to free her, the police were going to raid the kidnapper's location. Even though they had said they'd shoot his sister if any cops showed up. Deep down inside, Russell knew the attempt would fail. He didn't know how he knew, he just knew. He begged the chief of police to try something else, but he wouldn't listen.

Russell locked himself away in a small room on the side of their house. Tears streaming from his face he fell to his knees, knowing he was about to lose his sister. He begged and begged anyone that would listen. Any god, any higher power, any spirit. He begged that he be allowed to save his sister. He loved her, and didn't think he could live without her.

After a long silence, there came a whispered response. "I can give you power. Power that could save your sister. But there is a price." Russell stood quickly, demanding to know what that price was, he vowed he would pay anything.

A tall thin man with a dark goatee and a red shirt appeared before him. He held the leash of a slathering hound. The man cut short Russell's questions about how he could have gotten in, the hound snarled fiercely. Russell agreed to the man's demands, surrendering his immortal soul in exchange for the power to save his sister.

The man released his hound and it lept straight for Russell. The beast knocked Russell from his feat, and entered his chest. "My hound is yours to control. Go and save your sister. Then bring me both the dog and your soul."

The air in the small room smelled singed, and a cloud of brimstone erupted as Russell transported himself outside.

---

Much later, he became aware of himself, cradling his sister in his arms on the floor of an abandoned warehouse. He was crying, and she was dead. He'd been too late. He'd arrived just as the kidnappers were finishing off the police. Out maned, and out gunned, the cops had never had a chance. Killing his sister was the first thing the kidnappers had done. Killing the kidnappers was the first thing Russell had done.

He cradled his sister in his arms, and the air grew suddenly hot. It smelled like brimstone once more, "Tsk tsk tsk. That's just too bad."

"You B******!" Russell snarled, still channeling the beast within him, "We had a deal. My soul for my sister's life!"

"Hmmm maybe you misheard my offer. I told you this power COULD save your sister. If only you'd left five minutes earlier. Now, my dear boy," The man held his hand out stretched, "I want my dog back. I'll be collecting my price as well."

"No." Russell spoke with a low growl, his hand stroking his sister's face, "You won't get either of them."

"What? Nonsense!" The man beckoned Russell toward him. He was jerked into a standing position, his sister's body tumbling to the floor. The hound burst from his chest to stand between the two of them.

"No!" Russell screamed, grabbing a nearby chain from a warehouse box. He swung the chain, and it wrapped itself around the hell hound's neck. Russell gave a mighty jerk, and the beast entered him once more. "You cheated me, and now I'm cheating you. You won't be getting your dog back. You won't be getting my soul either. I refuse to die. I refuse to let you have it. But there's more. Everywhere I can, I am going to break your deals, shatter your contracts, and make your life hell." The man laughed at that. "Laugh all you want, there's nothing you can do to stop me."

The man looked at Russell and saw his own hell hound straining against heated, magical, invisible chains binding it to Russell's back. The hound was nothing more than a spirit while inside him. It wanted out, but couldn't break whatever spell Russell had placed upon him. The man in red frowned, knowing he was beaten, for now. He disappeared in a cloud of flame, and left Russell to his own misery, and his sister's corpse.

---

The ancient practitioners of magic from which Russell was a descendant specialized in contracts. Deals made with demons and devils were more common back then, and somebody had to know how to break them. Back when people believed the truth, that there was more than one devil, Russell's ancestors had overseen the forging of such contracts. Back then it was common knowledge that the intentions of both parties were just as important as the words that were spoken. But that knowledge had faded with time, just as any records of Russell's link with that bloodline. Russell had gotten lucky, the Devil he dealt with was nothing more than a scavenger looking to pick up pieces. Russell's intention was to save his sister. When one of Russell's ancestors oversaw a contract, they always included a clause that caused false contracts to backfire on the more powerful of the parties. A scavenger that devil may have been, but Russell was just a human. Too bad the magic in his blood sealed the contract. The devil never stood a chance.

---

Russell still fights with the presence inside him. But he has learned to release the anger and rage of the hell-hound in somewhat of a controlled burn. He still has difficulty coaxing his powers from the beast from time to time, but it gets easier every time. The he fears he becomes more like the devil inside him as he does so. He views it as a price. And a small one at that, if it means that he can protect people from enduring the suffering he went through at the loss of his sister.

Enter the Lake City justice department, and their new project. Russell had signed up almost instantly. He'd never doubted his ability to take down a criminal. What he needed help with was where to find them. Now he had those resources. Russell put pen to paper, and signed the second most important contract of his life...

Yea, it's a "no frills, one round to power up" build. I'm sure I could have shaved three points somewhere to allow his powers to activate as a free action, but the "completely in control his inner demons" is more of a PL 10 level for this character, I feel.

I'm glad you like the flavor, thanks for the comment :)

Other things I eventually have in mind for him is some healing limited to himself. More than likely it'll be something fire based. Possibly combining it with an immunity to fire damage outright rather than just hot environments, or perhaps countering fire. The idea being that either the fire heals him as he (or rather his clothing) burns (option A) or he sucks the fire into himself, healing his flesh and extinguishing the fire all in one go.

Of course it would be straight up easier to play a character with regeneration, but I always play in favor of rule of cool. And having fire regenerate your wounds while your still burning from it is pretty awesome :D

Wyrd> Don't feel obligated to join the space game if you don't want to, you can still stay on the 'waiting list' for the street game: I just figured it was fair to offer you one since you just missed the first game. Or does anyone want to swap slots with Wyrd?

SalmonMax> The first episode of Justice League Unlimited showed just how effective a street-type hero like Green Lantern can be on a global team; maybe think of it from that approach?

Professor> I would love you and buy you a pony if you would do that, Prof; you're a prince!

Quote> I like your character concept and backstory a lot. Two bloodlines seem to be appropriate for this character; either the Line of Wolves, associated with animals and the hunt, or the Line of Bones, associated with fate, prophecy and death. It's also possible that the blood of *both* lines run through his veins, since when bloodlines cross you tend to get more powerful 'will-workers', as the magically inclined sometimes call themselves.

Also what Wyrd said about movement powers for the space team is very true; the Alliance does not have cool teleporter technology, relying instead on gravmag* shuttles down to the Earth's surface and large interstellar vessels with jump drives for interstellar travel.

*Gravmags (short for 'gravitational magnets', a misnomer that stuck) are one of the three primary technologies the Orthi have shared with humans, the others being the O-cell (cold fusion cell) and the neural stunner, marketed to US police forces as the Pacifier. And by 'shared with', I mean 'sold to'; the Orthi religiously guard their trade secrets!

Quote> I like your character concept and backstory a lot. Two bloodlines seem to be appropriate for this character; either the Line of Wolves, associated with animals and the hunt, or the Line of Bones, associated with fate, prophecy and death. It's also possible that the blood of *both* lines run through his veins, since when bloodlines cross you tend to get more powerful 'will-workers', as the magically inclined sometimes call themselves.

Oh, what the hell, I'll take both :D

It's just more and more opportunities for you to throw monkey wrenches at me :D

I just threw up the last two complications on Hellhound's sheet (again spoilered here for your convenience). Just more fuel for the fire, Heritage ;)

Two New Complications
Inside the Fire: Russell's sister's life was taken from her prematurely by a gang of kidnappers. Since that day, he has always had a sore spot for damsels in distress. Whenever a similar situation crops up, he always ensures the safety of hostages first and places all other thoughts on the back burner until he is sure that none of the hostages are in danger. He will do this, even if another course of action may be the smarter course of action. GM may grant Russell a hero point if he is force to save a hostage instead of taking another more prudent action.

Like a Pagan: Like a down on his luck criminal looking for a pleas bargain, Russell is always on the lookout for any way to either reclaim his soul from the devil he sold it to, or earn his place past the pearly gates in some other fashion. Russell is already well-used to making deals. He's always ready to strike up a bargain with magical or mythical entities if he thinks it will further his search for a way back to the light. Even if it means a few people get hurt along the way.

FBI Special Agent Gerald "Gary" Samson

Assignment: Special Attachment to the Lake City Special Deputy Group (or whatever the rest of you are called)

Area(s) of Expertise: High end telepathic and mental psionic abilities. Trained in Investigation and Profiling technique.

Sex: Male:

Height: 5' 11

Weight: 147 lbs

Hair Color: brown

Eye Color: blue-grey

**background and sheet forthcoming**

I'm not certain how many of you this will make sense to, but the problem I'm having is coming up with that essential 'spark' that makes a character. I could make something for either game quite easily, and play it reasonably well, but without that spark it won't be anywhere near as much fun for me or you.

My DR. is trying me on a new medicine. I don't know how much that has been affecting my creativity, but I can say that I've been rather busy revising my Shadowrun rules so the multiple characters just submitted to me can be made compatible.This is a short term problem, and should not affect my ability to post regularly.

ediot:

It is apparently affecting my spelling.

I apologize for being short on facts--I'm posting from my mobile phone.

Heritage, I'd made a teleporter for a Trinity game. I'd probably have to re-jig her background somewhat, and it might take me a few days of playing with the M&M3e rules to make it feel close enough for me to like (I've never played these rules before, but I did buy a copy of the game, and just did my first pass of the rules the other day).

Conceptually, she came from a poor family in (country to be determined) and joined the armed forces as a lifer because she didn't see any better way out. She ended up becoming her military's equivalent of a sniper, before her power manifested itself (how? I don't know. She may not know. We may need to iron that out).

Basically, she's a soldier, a black woman of middle height but with a solid build. Personality wise, sort of like Starbuck from BSG, but with a big responsibility streak (she still sends money home to the family, although she also doesn't call often enough). Maybe Starbuck crossed with Flint from The Authority.

Power wise, she can teleport herself and others, as well as objects. She has a sniper gun of her own, and probably has space worthy gear as well. She's not the sort to try for the limelight, but she's used to being part of a team and pulling her weight, and expects others to do the same. By the same token, when it's playtime, she plays hard. She's got a long fuse, but a vicious temper to go with it when she does go off.

How does that sound for starters?

I've finally got an idea, and it will probably work better with the space game anyways.

So, heritage, how do you feel about alternate dimensions, the summon power, teleporting and possibly shrinking(once I see the point cost of everything else added up)?

I'll try to write out the details of what I have in mind to pm you, then if you ok it work out the stats.

Edit:

Heritage, if you have the name of some famous inventor from this setting, I'll edit it into the background I'm writing. I used Tony Stark as a placeholder, but since this is a different setting, i'm sure there is someone else she would reference.

now updated with background ...

FBI Special Agent Gerald "Gary" Samson

Assignment: Special Attachment to the Lake City Special Deputy Group (or whatever the rest of you are called)

Area(s) of Expertise: Gerald has high end telepathic and mental psionic abilities, and is trained in Investigation and Profiling techniques.

Sex: Male:

Height: 5' 11

Weight: 147 lbs

Hair Color: brown

Eye Color: blue-grey

Appearance: Pleasingly bland. Gerald doesn’t so much as stand out from the crowd as he does stand near the front of it. Aside form his blue steel eyes he possesses no characteristics that set him especially apart from the norm. Mentally however he is stands out as extraordinary. His intelligence is greater than the norm (testing in the 94th percentile), and he is possessed of a strong will and intuition that, combined with his mutant psionic abilities, makes him one of the more powerful psychics on the planet. In this way his strength of self shows through his eyes, which are fierce and intelligent, but also display a degree of self assuredness and wisdom seldom seen in one his age.

Background:

Son of Senator Randolf Samson (R, Maine) and his wife Corrianne; Gerald was far from an ordinary child. His intelligence showed early and would have dominated his early life if it weren’t for the manifestation of his telepathic gifts just after his tenth birthday. Gary’s parents were fortunate to have already instilled a strong sense of moral and ethical behavior in their son. His abilities first manifested when he fell from a tree in the forest behind his home. Well outside of the range of his voice, and with a broke leg, Gary felt something change as he cried for his mother. With her image fixed firmly in his mind he found himself able to speak directly to her, through his thoughts and into her mind, back at their home.

Curious about this strange gift Gary explored his powers and quickly figured out how to reliably send his thought to others, and read people’s thoughts back. Later he found that he could even push past other people’s mental defenses and read their minds without permission, a trick which got him in trouble when he ruined an intended surprise for his 11th birthday. Gary was often tempted to use his abilities, but his father explained that because he had powers others did not he needed to use them responsibly.

The memory of his first experience with his powers led to Gary volunteering for search and rescue duties as a teen and through high school. Helping find lost people in the mountains and forests fostered a desire to help people in other ways and use his powers for the greater good. To that end Gary studied criminal justice and psychology both in college and, with the proper strings pulled, and favors obtained by his father, enrolled in the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.

Gary recently was promoted from a Provisional Agent to a full Special Agent. Because of his status as a psychic mutant however he was assigned to liaison with the Lake City Special Deputies in order to get him “out of the way.”

Complications:

• Motivation: Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity. Gary genuinely wants to help people and fight crime, and to do so while using his powers in a morally and ethically sound way.

• Power Loss: Gary’s psionic/psychic powers can be nullified using anti-psi technology that is available to those with enough money or the right connections (good or ill).

• Relationships: Gary’s actions reflect on his father’s career. Gary is also aware that some criminals might go to the extremes of hurting his family to get to him.

• Prejudice: Gary is a psionic/psychic mutant which closes doors more often than it opens them.

ABILITIES<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="width:51px;">

STR

</td> <td style="width:52px;">

STA

</td> <td style="width:55px;">

AGL

DEX

FGT

</td> <td style="width:49px;">

INT

</td> <td style="width:58px;">

AWE

</td> <td style="width:53px;">

PRE

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width:51px;">

</td> <td style="width:49px;">

</td> <td style="width:58px;">

</td> <td style="width:53px;">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

ADVANTAGES

Benefit (FBI Special Agent), Connected, Contacts, Equipment 1 (O-Suit: Protection 4 (Subtle) • 5 ep), Ultimate Effort (Will checks), Well Informed

SKILLS

Expertise: (FBI) 3 (+5), Expertise: (Psychology) 3 (+5), Insight 4 (+12), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+14), Persuasion 4 (+5)

POWERS

Telepathic Powers: Array (32 points) • 39 points

· Mental Blast: Perception Range Damage 8, Resisted by Will • 32 points

· Telepathic Communication: Distracting Two-Way Selective Area Mental Communication 4 (worldwide; Subtle 1, Rapid 1) Linked to Comprehend Languages 3 (limited to mental communication) • 1 point http://www.atomicthi...=257087#p257087

· Mind Control: Perception Range Cumulative Affliction 8 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled) • 1 point

· Shared Sensory Network: Remote Sensing 15 (120 miles, Normal Visual, Normal Auditory, Mental; Subtle 2, Limited to other people’s senses) • 1 point

· Mind Diving: Cumulative Mind Reading 8 (Insidious, Subtle 2) • 1 point

· Psychic Phantoms: Resistible Illusion 8 (Resisted by Will) • 1 point

· Alter Memory: Perception Range Cumulative Affliction 8 (Resisted by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Transformed (memories altered)) • 1 point

· Cloud The Mind: Concealment 10 (Limited to beings with a mind) • 1 point

Telepathic Combat Awareness: Enhanced Advantages 4 (Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 2); Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4) • 12 points

Advanced Mental Senses: Senses 10 (Radius (all mental), Acute (all mental), Ranged Mental Awareness, Accurate Extended Range Detect Minds) • 10 points

DEFENSES<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="width:78px;">

DODGE

</td> <td style="width:75px;">

PARRY

</td> <td style="width:111px;">

FORTITUDE

</td> <td style="width:117px;">

TOUGHNESS

</td> <td style="width:63px;">

WILL

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width:78px;">

+4

+5

+4

+0

+2

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width:78px;">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

POWER POINTS

Abilities 26 + Skills 12 + Powers 61 + Defenses 15 + Advantages 6 = Total 120/120

Fujisawa_Yayoi_by_Dingoo.jpg
Naomi "Superball" Cartwright
Appearance:
Naomi stands roughly average height for a woman, although she is a bit scrawny. She has long brown hair which she usually keeps up so she can put the helmet of her suit on. Her green eyes shine with an intellect although her overall appearance is rather plain-Jane. Her Superball suit is a light yellow color with white sections, looking more like a futuristic flight suit when she wears it and it's more important systems are offline. Although when activated, the suit explands and inflates to a human-sized ball form, matching her height in diameter nearly.

Complications and Motivations:
Responsibility - "Science is a tool to be used for the greater good of humanity!"

Curiosity - "I will Never stop looking! I endeavor to discover something new every day!"

Pacifist - "I will not harm another life, no matter the cost!"

Honor - "I will never leave a soul behind! I will tend to the wounded and repair the broken!"

Identity - Superball is actually Naomi Cartwright, Heir to the Cartwright Family fortune.

Complication: Unique - Her suit's unique build and and abilities are likely to draw attention - more than the usual superhero - for good or ill.

Background:
Naomi was born to Thaddeus Cartwright PhD and Ramona Aceworth-Cartwright PhD. Both extremely cutting edge theoretical physicists, specializing in zero point energy research and sub-quantum field theory. Perhaps it was all the ambient radiation, maybe it was good genes, maybe dumb luck but on Naomi's 13th birthday her powers manifested when over the course of a night she wrote a dissertation that would not only earn her a doctorate in any Ivy-League school, but would earn her a PhD in her own right.

She never let this newly found intellect get to her head. Most found her demeanor refreshing in the egotistical world of the gifted and talented in her school, but she never got respect from her peers. She took it in stride, knowing full well it was the wreckless nature of youth that drove their opinions. She was unsure of herself though and decided to complete her basic schooling.

During this process she became a tinkerer. Making her family car fuel efficient beyond what was thought capable, making 85% efficiency solar panels, all sorts of strange ideas that could be whipped up from what she could get on her own. When she started getting access to the university labs... she went to town building a project. You see, Naomi Cartwright has no need for fame nor want of anything. She has it all! A famous scientist family, a genius mind, more money that she knows what to do with, and more than enough time on her hands. Well at least until recently. When she built her suit she genuinely wanted to help others. To save lives and to put her talents to use. As a scientist it was her duty... no... her obligation... to serve the greater good. That's when she became a shoe-in to be a member of Lake City's Special Deputies... as... tech support. Although her developing deductive skills may be just as large an asset, as well as her first-responder talents.

The only powers she has (outside of her frightening intellect) come from her suit. The Superball MK-1 Super Suit is yet to be fully tested, but she knows her suit has a amusing glitch where whenever it is in use. It makes her look like she's swallowed a life raft then had it inflate in her stomach... not exactly typical... or has a logical use... yet. Leave it to her though to find one.

Statistics:
Here.

Note: I put the stats on a seperate link so that the stats don't clutter up the background/profile post.

Given that Wyrd also wants to make a teleporter type for the space team, I was wondering if maybe I should switch gears here, and make something different.

I was thinking a mutant/strange alien abuductee experiment victim (Renegade Orthi genetic engineers!), with the ability to teleport whole ships across interstellar distances, and lesser spatial manipulation techniques, who was otherwise was just a woman with a gun, and Wyrd seems to be going more mystic/magical dimension hopping, but if it overlaps too much, I could easily change the power suite for this character (clairsentience/precog; electrical or light transformation; versatile shape-shifting, etc.).

Also, let me know if the overall concept is okay, and I'll flesh it more completely.

I like what I saw from Jameson and Superball guys. You certainly have the problem solving end of the team covered. Hopefully Hellhound can bring it home with a good strong set of brass knuckles :P

This reminds me. I have to include a Personality / Motivation section, and I have to detail why he's part of the Lake City detectives... I'll have it up before too long.

Here's his reasons for joining the Lake City Special Detectives unit:

Russell's father was a powerful Lawyer. Unfortunately, he was not the type to abuse such privileges. When Russell was arrested for his involvement in the his sister's kidnapping, his father never bailed him out. Though he did serve as Russell's defense attorney, it was strictly business. Russell managed to strike a deal with the justice department. He would not serve jail time. He would, however get his newly emerging super powers as the were registered. He would also serve community service...

Enter the Lake City justice department, and their new project. Russell was assigned to the Special Detectives unit as a way to both get him out of the way, and to enable the team of what was shaping up to be nearly all mental masterminds to engage more highly powered physically dangerous threats.

and...

Personality and Motivation:

Russell is all about the vengeance as a form of justice. Many of the registered superpowers are just that: Registered Superpowers looking only for existence. Russell on the other hand definitely has something to prove. He's a determined, driven individual thanks, more than slightly in part, to the (literal) fire that burns inside him. He likes taking charge, and doing things his way. Though he is not beyond listening to good reason and sound logic. Russell is excitable, dramatic, and good natured. Though he has a darker side that he can't quite help.

Russell's relationship with the devil inside him has developed a great deal over the past few years. He's had six years to get to know this new other side of himself, and it has done likewise. At first, their two personalities had clashed like flannel and stripes. For the first year or so the pair were constantly at war with each other. But Russell's force of will eventually won that war of attrition. Once the spirit got used to the fact that it was stuck with him for better or worse, it began to cooperate. Now, the two work together like a well oiled machine. Only at the rarest times does the spirit of the hellhound lash out, and cause Russell to lash out in desperation, anger, or due to other violent tendencies. But he is quick to rein it in, knowing full well the destruction he is capable of causing if he loses his cool.

Thanks, QMN. I try my best. Also I thought it would be a smart idea to play the tech support/driver/detective/medic roles on the fly. In other words, support role.

After all, she's the youngest member and not meant for the front-line battles. Unless she gets the chance to get the drop on someone with a leap. A 2 meter wide yellow and white ball smacking you in the face at 250 mph isn't a picnic. Particularly if it's moved 1800 feet in the process. ;)

I just wonder if it's possible to simulate her bouncing off of buildings with the leap distance...

Also I should invest in a load-bearing vest of some sort that can adapt to my changing size... so that I can be someone on the team's parachute if needed... or raft... or pack mule...

Just coming up with ideas.

Thanks, QMN. I try my best. Also I thought it would be a smart idea to play the tech support/driver/detective/medic roles on the fly. In other words, support role.

Indeed! I have a character like that on another game. See: Blueshift (It's only 2E, and some of the formatting is off, but still)

I just wonder if it's possible to simulate her bouncing off of buildings with the leap distance...

Probably just descriptors...

Archived