Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - New game in semi-gritty universe - Recruitment

Heritage

Greetings! My name is Heritage and I haven't been active here for many years, but I want to learn more about M&M 3E and help develop a world for a writing project. The setting is Lake City, Wisconsin, a sort of stand-in for Milwaukee, and the players would be PL8 special deputies with limited law enforcement powers. The world is obscenely detailed but still needs work, and like Dora the Explorer I need your help!

Look for much more info in the days ahead!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll throw down my tentative interest, pending seeing more about the setting and what kinds of character options there are.

Edit: I'll also offer myself if you have any questions about the M&M 3e system. I'm pretty comfortable with it and have even run some sessions in chat (and hopefully will find time for that again in another month or two).

Nice to see some interest! I'm working on a timeline and glossary of terms that any characters would more or less be familiar with, as well as descriptions on the three primary alien races, two of which will be playable. To clarify the term 'semi-gritty', I would describe the world as realistic (ha-ha) but still hopeful. A few things to know about in brief:

1. In the US, supertypes are normally referred to as 'exceptional persons' or XPs for short.

2. Magic does exist; there are seven great mystical bloodlines on Earth, each associated with a certain type of magic. By the 21st century, the bloodlines are highly diluted, but rigorous study or fortuitous choice of parents can still unlock amazing powers. Magic is very rare and not taken too seriously by most 'sensible ' people.

3. Humanity has joined with three other intelligent races in what is referred to as the Alliance of the Great Wing, aka 'the Alliance' for short. We have known of these three races since 1987, and since the 90s there have been alien ambassadors to the UN. The Orthi are a bit like three-limbed starfish floating on anti-gravity disks, the Lhan-Gar are an aloof warrior caste akin to carnivorous dinosaurs with strange metal helmets sealing off their heads, and the Nameless are large telepathic centipedes that construct robotic humanoid bodies for themselves so they can pass for human. The Lhan-gar have refused to ever visit Earth, and therefore are not a playable race.

4. If you're an American XP who wants to fight crime or save lives, you have to be registered with some governmental body, preferably the Department of Justice but civic or state agencies are also sufficient; this has been the case since the passing of the Exceptional Persons Regulatory Act of 1969.

5. Lake City was the home of the Guardians of Justice, the world's mightiest heroes, from 1945 until 1968, when they mysteriously disappeared.

6. Currently the Alliance serves as the world's superhero force, with two bases in the continental US, one in Belgium and one in Japan. They also maintain an orbital facility, mostly used as a docking station for alien spaceships. The Alliance advocates peaceful coexistence between member races.

7. The Orthi are technical wizards, and have exclusive patents on Earth for several telecommunication devices and non-lethal weapons systems; the profits from these patents pay for the Alliance's expenses on Earth.

8. Characters will start at PL8, but I'm thinking of working on some sort of advancement system.

9. As special deputies, they are allowed to detain suspects but not arrest them, and are limited to using non-lethal force, though of course exceptions could theoretically occur; if so, they must explain themselves like any other police officers.

10. I want this game to be fun, mysterious and just a little bit spooky.

That's the short list for now!

I should also state that the player characters will be filling the void left by Stalwart and Grimalkin (something like Batman and Robin, but only a little) who were publicly sanctioned heroes but are now disgraced and gone into hiding (as far as the public knows); they will get a free HQ, a wealthy mentor and a cute young secretary. Also health benefits.

Female secretary, dashingly handsome male millionaire bankrolling the operation; both will be major NPCs, and of course, there's much more to them than their stereotypes would lead you to believe.

I'm looking for no more than six players; I offered one slot to a buddy of mine from another site (he's good people), so that's up to five players from this site unless he passes on the offer.

Sure, Prof, that would be fine. Okay, so far we have the following players making inquiries:

jameson (ST)

Dawn OOC

Justin OOC

Jeremy Noctis

The Professor

Potentially added to this list is My Buddy From Another Site (hereafter referred to as 'MBFAS'); assuming everyone who's posted here is interested, we've got a full six, that is if MBFAS agrees to join, and I expect he will. Has anyone who's already posted decided they *don't* want to play, based on the tidbits I've posted above? If so, let me know asap! Also if you've got a vague idea for a character bubbling 'round your head, by all means let's start batting around ideas, so we can figure out if it fits the setting and to let me know what background material I need to get up first.

Backpack!

err... I mean, If you lose one of these or are willing to add one more I'm interested. I didn't even notice the recruitment thread until you had passed your limit of players =(

Most of the games I'm in have stalled, gone on official hiatus, or gone on unofficial hiatus, so that really leaves me with only one actually active character outside of GM'ing Shadowrun, so I could use another one.

Ok, thinking of a man with a wiped/fragmented memory and cybernetic implants... no one including he, knows the source. (Except those you deem valid, Heritage) Basically, he's the Warrior archetype you have in the GM Kit... In a vague sort of way, Wolverine esque... except this guy is Japanese for one... or it might seem. :D

Ok, thinking of a man with a wiped/fragmented memory and cybernetic implants... no one including he, knows the source. (Except those you deem valid, Heritage) Basically, he's the Warrior archetype you have in the GM Kit... In a vague sort of way, Wolverine esque... except this guy is Japanese for one... or it might seem. :D

Hmm, okay. I've run into trouble with these types before, so I'm going to ask you an honest and direct question: on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Mary Poppins and 10 being a Goth kid with his head in the oven, how angsty do you see him being? Forgive my possible rudeness, but I've seen this type played very badly before, and I just want to make sure you'll be playing a version who will be dark yet fun for others to interact with on a team.

I'm not trying to go for dark per say... he might be bit sarcastic and such... but I don't expect him to seriously dark... 5.0-5.5... Naturally, there are issues with no memories or hazy ones... but not a chip on shoulder thing.

Ah, okay. If you're going for the Lancer type (as seen on TV Tropes!), that's totally fine; the gruff and sarcastic guy in black leading against the wall and cracking wise is a comic book standby for a reason!

I have three ideas.

First - Ensign Minneapolis

She's a character I've built pretty much since my first Superhero Gaming experience. She's a inventor who creates a body-tight supersuit that allows her access to technological powers. (Flight, Life Support, Force Field, Some Gadgets, Energy Control (Probably the control of tachyons). Comes to Lake City to support the team there as a good will ambassador representing Minnesota.

Second - Origami

She's a Papermaster, pure and simple, with some James Bond style gadgets up her sleeve. Heir to a small family fortune and long time resident of Lake City (Modded background)

Third - Superball

A Japanese Schoolgirl Exchange Student just starting to discover her powers - Her main ability is to rebound and bounce off of walls and other surfaces, by inflating into a human ball. She can also literally bowl people over, and shrug off most small-arms fire and rockets. She's also inherently buoyant and needs some help to dive if we ever meet the king of the sea or something. Isn't as rich as the Origami concept but still well off. Lives with her Host Family. (Note with this power I'd probably have some sort of ability to allow her clothing not to get damaged and stretch with her.)

So... any help whittling this down, gang? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Hey, all.

I'm new to the site, but it's my understanding that Heritage has been holding a spot for me here. (Thanks, H!)

Heritage and I go back a few years through various internet shenanigans and even on other sites! :P

Anyways, I'd like to play. I've got a character in mind, I'm working on freeing up my schedule, and I'm going to be converting my character from 2E to 3E as best and as fast as I can (I'm more familiar with 2E but it seems I'll have some help from another old friend who has read 3E extensively).

So for right now, this is a placeholder post. I'm going to go back and read over this thread to make sure that the character I have in mind is still in line with what you guys are planning (first come first serve, after all. And I don't want to step on any toes). So for now, I'm watching and reading.

Looking forward to playing with everyone! :)

I'd be happy with any of them, but Superball does sound like fun, and reminds me of one of my favorite Aimee Mann songs! As far as the stretchy costume goes, only a sadistic GM would make you pay extra for a power that keeps a Japanese girl from becoming nude every time she uses her powers (well, sadistic or just plain pervy); let's assume that everyone is wearing an O-suit, your typical alien nanotech BS that safely interacts with all powers and is good for Quick Changing. O-suits are tough and durable, but can still be dramatically shredded by attacks if the Rule of Cool applies and you want to look all badass.

My one question is the matter of age; you need to be at least 18 to be a special deputy, and I'm already allowing someone else to sneak around this rule, so I won't allow a second. If she's 18 and you take the Teenager complication, I'm fine with her going all Sailor Uranus, but be aware that bad guys won't take you seriously...which of course makes it even *more* satisfying when you puff up and kick their asses. Of course if you don't want the nanobot sailor suit, wear whatever you like.</p>

There is only *one* thing I want you all to have on your sheet: at least 1 rank of Expertise (Police Officer). This represents your thirty credit hour criminal justice certificate; more than one rank would be nice, but at least one means you took all the tests and got at least a 'C' on your final grade, possibly with a lot of help from a sympathetic boyfriend or girlfriend.

Okay so looks like my idea will still be workable.

You can view the 2E version of his stats here: http://www.atomicthi...=874929#p874929

I am going to work on a conversion. I'll let you all know how it goes.

And, I'm okay with the O-Suit, as long as I can wear my Badass Longcoat overtop it ;)

EDIT: Originally he was stated out for a 'cheerier' setting. I'll be playing him a little more gritty for this setting, not unlike the aformentioned 'Lancer' archetype (though don't worry, Jeremy, I have absolutely NO intentions of stealing your thunder :D)

Just remember, guys, that 'gritty' isn't the same as 'hopeless and depressing'; this not a violent Iron Age campaign. Humor is allowed and expected, as humor is one of the primary coping mechanisms humanity has to fall back on. Lake City is not Gotham; if you know your DC comics, it's closer to Opal City as seen in James Robinson's wonderful Starman series than anything else. At one time, Lake City was seen as being sort of the city of the future, but since the late 60s it's been trying to reclaim some of it's lost glory. Imagine a town with a mixture of Art Deco and Gothic-influenced architecture sprinkled with a bit of 1963 New York World's Fair; now cut the budget for maintenance and imagine the metallic laminate starting to peel, though it's still shines at dawn and sunset. It's a town known for cheap beer, great baseball and superheroes.

I hope that bit of evocative whimsey helps you get the feel of the place.

I'd be happy with any of them, but Superball does sound like fun, and reminds me of one of my favorite Aimee Mann songs! As far as the stretchy costume goes, only a sadistic GM would make you pay extra for a power that keeps a Japanese girl from becoming nude every time she uses her powers (well, sadistic or just plain pervy); let's assume that everyone is wearing an O-suit, your typical alien nanotech BS that safely interacts with all powers and is good for Quick Changing. O-suits are tough and durable, but can still be dramatically shredded by attacks if the Rule of Cool applies and you want to look all badass.

My one question is the matter of age; you need to be at least 18 to be a special deputy, and I'm already allowing someone else to sneak around this rule, so I won't allow a second. If she's 18 and you take the Teenager complication, I'm fine with her going all Sailor Uranus, but be aware that bad guys won't take you seriously...which of course makes it even *more* satisfying when you puff up and kick their asses. Of course if you don't want the nanobot sailor suit, wear whatever you like.</p>

I'm fine with her being 18. And probably was brought in by the team for "Foreign Relations and Good Will" to train her to be a superhero. And where better to learn the ropes than America, LAND of the SUPERHERO.

The O-Suits sound very cool actually... Now is there a team uniform or can the O-Suits look like whatever the hero(ine) wishes it to look?

BTW, I have chosen Superball. Will make a character background in a bit.

Cool. Let me know if this happens. I'll throw some concepts at the wall.

It looks like it's going to happen, so start thinking about stuff; the Alliance/space game will be PL10, and you, Wyrd and Cent get first dibs on the same number of slots (i.e. six)

The O-Suits sound very cool actually... Now is there a team uniform or can the O-Suits look like whatever the hero(ine) wishes it to look?

I'm thinking the O-suits would probably be fairly drab affairs in charcoal gray, but feel free to accessorize, like the longcoat Quote's guy is going to wear over them. And if you want to treat it like a Device and put Quick Change 2 in there, and maybe add some Protection, by all means do, which goes for anyone.

What kind of character is thematically appropriate for the space game? I assume it's not really a 'supers' game. Or is it?

I keep calling it the space game, which is perhaps a bit misleading; the characters would be members of the Alliance of the Great Wing (which by the way refers to our little detached arm of the Milky Way galaxy). The Alliance is a bit like the Avengers meets the Green Lantern Corps; multiple bases on Earth as well as an orbital station, protecting the planet and our Solar System, etc. So yes, you would be playing a superhero, but you can have a bit more flexibility; someone with a knowledge of science or who owns a powersuit would be a good fit. I keep calling it the space game because the team would be based in the orbital station rather than on Earth, and some of the stories may in fact take place in space, but they could also take place in Africa, the Middle East or anywhere else in the world.So more of a global focus would be good, an excellent reason to play someone who's not an American; the Orthi and the Nameless are playable races, and I can tell you more about them, if you want. What else would you like to know?

RE: The O Suit

I'll probably take that option. Drab grey is utilitarian, easy to clean and easily producible but... doesn't sell action figures. Might make it where it can be any outfit for her because of the way her power works.

One size fits all! ^_^ Even variable geometry superheroines! Heck, it'll give me an excuse to take some skills to modify and upgrade it.

Heh, a super smart nerd type with the ability to run people over as a human beach ball... I love it.

Wait a second... her powers come FROM HER SUIT! Thanks, Heritage! I think I just merged my concepts for Superball and Ensign Minneapolis!

For the Lake City thread, my character is finished. I'm pretty proud of him on the whole. Here's the link to the ATT thread with the build.

http://www.atomicthi...=874933#p874933

I'll be expanding the history when I have the chance.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, even if it's, "Hey, good job, cool character," I'd love to hear them. I'm always open for advice.

Heritage, is this in keeping with what you had in mind for Lake City?

This is Jeremy... and here is my concept... not that there's much of a background, but I'm fleshing that tiny bit out.

Gakusha

PL 8 - 120 PP

Abilities- 58 pp

STR 3, STA 8/6, AGL 6, DEX 1, FGT 8, INT 1, AWE 6/4, PRE 0

Skills- 17 pp

Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+9), Expertise: Police Officer 1 (+2), Insight 4 (+10/8), Perception 6 (+12/10), Technology 6 (+7), Vehicles 5 (+6)

Advantages- 9 pp

Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Cipher), Defensive Attack, Languages 1 (Japanese [native], English), Power Attack, Precise Attack 1 (Close Concealment) Takedown

Powers- 33 pp

Sensory Implants: Enhanced Awareness 2; Senses 6 (Accurate and Extended Hearing, Analytical and Extended Vision, Danger Sense)

Mental Augumentations: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Eidetic Memory, Improved Initiative)

Weapon Augmentations: Strength-based Damage 5

Protective Implants: Enhanced Stamina 2; Immunity 2 (Disease, Poison); Regeneration 10

Defenses- 4 PP

Dodge 8 (+2), Fortitude 8/6, Parry 8, Toughness 8/6, Will 8 (+2)

Complications:

Motivation (Acceptance): Gakusha is looking for a way to find out who he is, but in the meantime, establish for himself a place in the world.

Responsibility: As a new Special Deputy, Shinji has to follow the rules and procedures of the PD and can certainly be expected to be on call a lot.

The Blank Curtain: Aside from being a pain in the ass at times, Gakusha's unknown past could reveal itself at times, in likely less than wanted way. (GM discretion)

Quirk (Really Sarcastic): Though not outright cynical or angst-ridden, Shinji has a habit of very sarcastic... especially when

things are up the creek.

History:

As far as Shinji Marasaki knows, all he has to go by is his name, the whisper when he awoke imprisoned somewhere that 'Gakusha is awake' and the fact that he's Japanese. His memories of the past are gone, wiped clean as a whistle as any telepath who comes looking would testify. And of course, he awoke in a cell somewhere, finding that he is a cyborg in effect now, aware of implanted weapons and other technology that boosts his senses, strengthens his mind and allows him to shrug off damage with ease.

Clearing his way out of the underground place where he had been kept, Gakusha wandered about the US as a rover until he found his way to Lake City. There, Freddy Matthews, a local friendly beat cop, took pity on the apparent 'down on his luck' and gave him both cash and directions to a local shelter. Gakusha was in the convenience store getting fast food, when armed robbers broke in, and Matthews, who had been in the other side of the building, was shot trying to stop them.

Gakusha angrily beat down the robbers, healed instantly from the two shots that had winged him, and got medical attention for Officer Matthews immediately. Feeling indebted to the cop, he kept an eye on Freddy even into the hospital, and when Freddy recovered, he convinced Gakusha to help out and get registered with the Department of Justice and join the Lake City force.

Incidentally, there are no records that officials have found so far on Shinji Marasaki and his DNA has no known matches so far.

Archived