[OpNet] An intresting awakening

Alessandria

Fellow Novas, I'd like to introduce myself. I call myself Alessandria, and I recently erupted.

How does the saying go? If something goes right, something else goes terribly wrong. I recall my eruption in all details, but nothing before that.

For the last few weeks I looked for missing person reports that matched me, but to no avail, so there is nowhere else for me to go then forward in my life.

Is that a good or bad thing? I don't know yet. Either way I am looking forward to talking to you, and perhaps even meeting a few of you.

Total amnesia prior to eruption? I must say I have never heard of that before. You might want to find a telepath to help you. The potential risk of this should also be obvious... I really don't know what advice to give.

That being said, welcome to the One Race, Alessandria.

You kids and your "One Race" shit. What the fuck does that even mean? Like, are you the only race, or the best race, or do you plan to kill all the other races? Maybe you're the master race and you're going to kill all the mongrel races, huh? Fuck me.

Anyway, Ally. Talk about getting fucked up the ass without a reach-around to show for it. Eruption is bad enough, but to lose your memories in the process? Fuck. Anyway, Donnie Darko is right, you might want to consult a telepath. It's possible your mind wasn't "wiped" so much as "blocked". On the other hand, it's possible you did lose it all. If that's the case, maybe consult a pretercog who can take you back before your eruption or - if you can bear the mundane - just talk to somebody with a better missing person's search reference library than your local precinct house.

I always considered it as just meaning Novas, no deep philosophical shit attached. Of course, ask another Terat and you'll probably get a different answer....

She should also consider checking hospital records. People in comas, things of that nature. For that matter Alessandria, where were you when you erupted? That may help you recall further memories, or at least figure out what the hell happened.

I have to admit that pre-eruption amnesia is the most ballsed-up thing I have heard of.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Leliel:

I did erupt between the 9th and 7th floor outside of a building falling rapidly until I took flight. At this point in time I was wearing white scrubs and had no other possessions with me.

Right now I am at an intresting crossroads, and honestly, I am not exactly sure whether I want to find out who I was before my eruption, or if I should find out who I am now first.

Mm. Alessandria.

I may be able to help you in discovering who you are, if it would please you. I am not a telepath, but by being around you a few moments I could tell you things that even total memory erasure could not entirely wipe away. It may even be within my purview to reverse your amnesiac state, though I would not want to engender any false hope. Nevertheless, I would consider as such to be an uncommonly good use for my meager abilities. You have only to ask.

Considdering what little you've told us about your erruption, deducing a previous identity doesn't sound terribly hard. The building you were falling near, it was probably some form of hospital? Or belonging to a major corporation? If you know the address (since you recall which floors you were between at the moment of your erruption, I'm sure you can figure out the address), then we can determine whose roof (or high window) you jumped off of.

I'll assume you've taken the obvious path of checking out this possibility. And I'll also assume that you found no information about yourself within that building. This brings us to your erruption. Erruption is a unique affair for each of us. What we get out of it, and what happens in that moment, is highly dependent on our state of mind, our desires, and our circumstances. Considder, for a moment, that your amnesia might be one of the benefits of your erruption, rather than an unfortunate side effect. At the moment of your erruption, you WANTED to forget, to become someone new, or to change and have no ties to the past. Physical changes in the immediate area (and occasionally further) have been known to occurr during erruptions. It is possible that, in addition to wiping out your own memory of yourself, you removed the various bits of evidence of your old life from the place you'd just left. Leaving behind no evidence of a 'missing person' to report.

An educated guess. I give it only a 30% chance of being correct.

Oh, and I HAVE heard of another nova who errupted completely without memory. It called itself Xeno (short for Xenophyophore), and it once posted on these forums. It was completely inhuman in form and mentality, and one of the most unique expressions of our abilities to date. I doubt there's a correlation, but you may be curious how he reacted to his new state. Despite his differences, he adapted quite well to his new life.

Alessandria,

First, Welcome to the boards.

Secondly, you may not have anything to remember. If you'd been victim to a stroke or other brain disorder prior to eruption then there might not be anything to recover. This might include some types of coma, and even some genetic disorders.

Yet another possibility is that you erupted before the age of two and aged yourself to your current age during eruption.

Welcome to the One Race Alessandria,

You will probably think I'm crazy, (why not, everyone else thinks I am), but I am envious of your amnesia. I wish I was able to forget my pre-eruption life. I would be glorious to be 'born' into this world as a nova, and not have the baggage of the human past weighing me down. You see, I seek to evolve as far as I can away from my humanity, because it reminds me of the weaknesses that plague me every day.

For some of us amnesia would be a blessing. Enjoy your gift.

Amnesia isn't realizing you don't remember who you are. Its the act of repressing memories so traumatically charged you'd rather have no recollections. There are other possibilities too. Head injuries, certain chemicals being dead long enough for the brain to decay would do it. I suppose rearranging the physical structure of your brain during eruption could have nasty affects on memory. Or you could be faking it. Anything is possible.

She should be careful in investigating for another reason. What if she did not jump or fall, what if she got defenestrated?

Be interesting to find out more about that building. Function, owner, etc. The fact that she was in scrubs seems to say hospital or laboratory.

PS to White Rat: I can certainly understand why one would want to forget their baseline past, but consider this. It makes a nice control group to appreciate how far one's evolution has already gone. That at least is how I look at it.

Originally Posted By: Signy Malory
I could help you, but I do not know if you could pay for my time. My time is not cheap, and frankly verry few thigns interst me. You should look into getting help from Preston.

What a lovely welcome, Signy. Are you always this hospitable?

Alessandria, welcome to the boards. If you are ever in New York, give me a ring. I'd love to met you in person, and one of the best things you can do as a new nova is met other novas. At least, it certainly helped me quite a bit.

What? Another one? Are eruptions being purchased at a fuckin' Dollar Store these days?

So you lost yer memory, big fuckin' deal. You could have ended up like the White Rodent and lost your mind instead.

Or like Carver and be a total mental basket case that talks to lawn ornaments.

Or like Sylvan, who actually thinks her own shortcomings the Devils fault.

Or like Leliel who claims to be a follower of Teras but can't seem to figure out what the 'One Race' means.

Or Alchemist... heres a painful one... you erupt into Bunsen Honeydew... a sure sign God hates you bro, do yerself a favor and end your torment.

Or Regina, whose Mega-brain is still unfortunately still attached to her mega mouth, possibly preventing her from ever getting laid again.

Or Machina... well... fuck, Machina explains himself with every word.

So, you see, it could have been worse. Chin up, say to hell with the past, and press onward living each day as if it were your last.

Me? Well, glad you asked. See, I was born perfect, died perfect, and was born again perfect.

Yup.

It's good to be me.

Originally Posted By: Machina
You kids and your "One Race" shit. What the fuck does that even mean? Like, are you the only race, or the best race, or do you plan to kill all the other races? Maybe you're the master race and you're going to kill all the mongrel races, huh? Fuck me.

I'm sorry, did you need it explained to you?

The One Race, as I have mentioned, is refering to all Novas. That's how Divis Mal himself used the term in the Null Manifesto. How individual members of the One Race choose to act or interpret the term is an individual choice. It's hardly a "party line".

Following the philosophy of Teras is not a matter of being some kind of drone that follows a programmed mission statement. (That's closer to PU) Every Terat is an individual, though some tend to share certain views. There is also a lot more to Teras then just individuality, but this is not really the best place to discuss such matters.

PS: I'm not a fucking Goth by any means. Being surrounded in blacklight quantum fire does not a Goth make...

Originally Posted By: Trooper
Originally Posted By: Leliel

PS: I'm not a fucking Goth by any means. Being surrounded in blacklight quantum fire does not a Goth make...

Probably makes you popular with the sad little fucks though.

Indeed it does. Unfortunately sometimes they try and get a bit too intimate. Has led to some embarassing moments.....

Goths are still around? I thought all of those professionally disillusioned and disenfranchised children migrated to Terr'r or became Neo-Pagans. Some of them must be getting a little old to pull off the Lord Byron / Morpheus with a side of death obsession thing. There's only so much you can hide with clown make up.

It is indeed a subculture that has been around for quite a long time and will continue for some time still. It is wide and varied as well, with all manner of people and ‘types’ of goths. It is also constantly adapting, growing and evolving. Unfortunately, some people see somebody with white face paint, an old black dress and an Ann Rice novel and immediately assume that is what all goths are like as well as assuming they know what all goths are like, what they are about and believe and so forth, as Loge here as so well demonstrated.

Unfortunately, ignorance is a state that many do not ever take upon themselves to change.

~Noir

Archived