Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Prologue: The Genesis of Quantum Prometheus

Blue Thunder

Envy adds,

"Agreed. We need to establish our footing. From what you all have said it is clear that our common mission is to protect the baseline resource, until such time as we no longer need or desire it. Now we need to know: What are we going to do first? How will we engineer our entrance to the public's perceptions? What foundations need to be laid in secret? Jane, Flare...you both have been silent for awhile. Unless you would rather take a nap Roach, I'd like to hear from you as well..."

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
James seemed a little shocked at this, and said with raised eyebrows, "isn't that a little...underhanded?"
Bob responds,

"Not really. It's just an option, not the desired outcome."

She nods slowly, turning over the idea. "Utopia has that blood test that they can do for latency. I'm assuming that someone in the Teragen has already cribbed that from them, yes? Something like that - not merely testing, but pre-eruption training for those who prove to have it - that by itself would gain us an instant wealth of new converts." She glances around the room, and then sighs. "It's a pity that none of us have admitted to having nova-level medical powers. If we could create a faster way to test for latency - or perhaps even a way to cause it - we would have something no Utopia facility could ever match."
Bob comments,

"The holy grail of medicine. I suspect this would be very hard."

********************Jane********************

Jane listened to the others talk to each other over the specifics of Promethean philosophy. She was much too impulsive to ever debate about anything like this; she knew what she wanted, and what she wanted was to control her urges. She didn't care about the small details of how the group planned on implementing itself. She only wanted to know where the faction was headed; and when they decided just that, she would be there.

Jane, Flare...you both have been silent for awhile.

"I'm listening, Envy. I just honestly don't have much to add about this. I'm fine with whatever direction we Prometheans take...so long as we take a direction. I'd rather just listen for now."

She relaxed in the large wooden chair with her sake and let the others decide how they wanted to go about things.

********************Jill/Flare********************

Jane, Flare...you both have been silent for awhile.

Jill let the others finish voicing their opinions before she presented hers. In the meantime she poured herself some water.

"I like what I'm hearing. One point specifically: that we need to find a nova capable of detecting latency. If we had that, we'd be an extremely valuable asset to the Teragen. Just think of how many soon-to-be-Terats we could recruit. Any doubts others have about the Prometheans will fade away when they realise the resource we have."

"The idea of a clinic is a good one, though I admit I wouldn't have a clue how to operate it. And I think it would be too risky at this point. The public hates the Teragen much more than they hate Project Utopia. I say we instead focus on shifting public opinion our way first, but not the sort of public opinion that you currently speak of. Forget about television audiences and First World suburban families. There are places in the world that don't welcome Project Utopia with open arms, and it is in these places that we should be looking towards. South America. India. The Middle East. Southeast Asia. Africa. There are other places as well. Project Utopia's influences extends as far as advertising and OpNet does...they can't reach small villages in the jungle or impovershised farms in the countryside. This is one of the Project's weakness, and because of that, this is one of our strengths."

"The Promethean philosophy is that we form a bond with baselines so that when they erupt, they understand who and what they are, and come to the Teragen. This can be interpretted several ways, and I'm sure everyone has their own opinion of how it should be done. Personally I've been thinking of setting up a community of nova worship in one of the places I just mentioned. I would like to start with my home continent of South America, but I can't ignore that India is a marvelous opportunity for such an endeaver; many there already worship novas, and Project Utopia is outright unwelcome by the populace. If baselines are revering novas, than they'll know who to go to when they erupt."

"I'm unsure how much help the Aberrants could be in the larger picture. Their battle against the Project and it's secret agenda deserves respect, but in the end they are the equivalent of conspiracy theorists and angry teenagers. With enough time they'll understand the meaning of Teras."

"...Forget about television audiences and First World suburban families. There are places in the world that don't welcome Project Utopia with open arms, and it is in these places that we should be looking towards. South America. India. The Middle East. Southeast Asia. Africa. There are other places as well. Project Utopia's influences extends as far as advertising and OpNet does...they can't reach small villages in the jungle or impovershised farms in the countryside. This is one of the Project's weakness, and because of that, this is one of our strengths."

Roach snaps out of his daydream in time to hear Jills response. Something stirred in him...and it wasn't his belly.

"Me, I'd havta agree here. If ye want to become respected n' powerful, ya gotta earn that from the masses. We be the mighty and the brave, but we aint the masses. Start by saving a few blokes. Build a home for da homeless lot, rescue littln's from a burning mass. That is how ye' earn respect. We can build us an empire on a reputation like dat. Earn the trust a' those fellows, and they'll damn near do tha rest...ya?"

Roach, apparently more involved now, tucks his feet underneath him as to appear taller at the table.

"Toss 'nother brew there eh Envy? If you please."

King Cobra gets up and walks behind the bar, helping himself to another bottle of Envy's stout and another bottle of whatever Roach was drinking.

"I've been fighting the depraved and the corrupt on the streets of New York City for the past six years. A lot of New Yorkers think I'm some kind of homocidal psychopath, the Gothic Knight told me next time he sees me he's going to break my skull on a fire hydrant, and La Flamberge doesn't return my calls."

He slides the beer across the table, into the hand of the mutated, insectile nova.

"It's a good idea, but not always a free ticket to good P.R."

King Cobra gets up and walks behind the bar, helping himself to another bottle of Envy's stout and another bottle of whatever Roach was drinking.

"I've been fighting the depraved and the corrupt on the streets of New York City for the past six years. A lot of New Yorkers think I'm some kind of homocidal psychopath, the Gothic Knight told me next time he sees me he's going to break my skull on a fire hydrant, and La Flamberge doesn't return my calls."

He slides the beer across the table, into the hand of the mutated, insectile nova.

"It's a good idea, but not always a free ticket to good P.R."

Roach accepts the bottle and bites off the cap a few inches of the glass and crunches it down.

"Ye know, I hear ye...but it seems the only time I've ever gotten as much as a positive look, is when I've 'elped out a baseline. Saved me a score of homless in a burnin' blaze once, they damn near knighted me. I still think it'd be a way to get in a good word fer us. You gots the experience though I'd be saying Cobra. You'd know better'n me anyway."

He pulls the bottle cap out from between two teeth and pops it back in his mouth and washes it down with a swig.

" 'N thanks fer the beer!"

"The idea of a clinic is a good one, though I admit I wouldn't have a clue how to operate it. And I think it would be too risky at this point. The public hates the Teragen much more than they hate Project Utopia. I say we instead focus on shifting public opinion our way first, but not the sort of public opinion that you currently speak of. Forget about television audiences and First World suburban families. There are places in the world that don't welcome Project Utopia with open arms, and it is in these places that we should be looking towards. South America. India. The Middle East. Southeast Asia. Africa. There are other places as well. Project Utopia's influences extends as far as advertising and OpNet does...they can't reach small villages in the jungle or impovershised farms in the countryside. This is one of the Project's weakness, and because of that, this is one of our strengths."
James listened to Jill as she spoke and this time he agreed with even more of what she had to say (though still not all). One part stood out more than the rest though, and when she was finished he spoke up, "Well then why don't we try setting up a simple sort of clinic/training facility/place of worship in one of these third world places you're talking about Jill? I mean, that's a great idea by the way, broadening the focus to include the rest of the planet and not just the wealthy parts, I know I needed to be reminded of that. But you were talking about how Utopia's influence doesn't extend to those parts of the world and the thing is; neither does ours. Neither organization has much of a reputation, good or bad, with the poor and underdeveloped countries of the world. And I mean, the places you just mentioned, India, the Middle East, Asia, that's got to account for something like half the world's population and all of it virtually untouched. Statistically speaking, think of how many novas our likely to be born out of that many people! If we start reaching out to them now, and combatting Utopia from a grass-roots level, well the effects might not be immediate, but they'd be damn near impossible to stop once they got going... You guys see what I mean?"

Bob says in a speculative voice,

"Why not set it up here? We're already here, Utopia pretty much isn't, and in the 3rd world boondocks the press won't be finding us."

"We could announce a clinic that heals people, helps Terats practice their powers, encourages baselines to worship Terats, and attempts to make baselines erupt, all in one shot. Better still it’d even be close to legitimate since baselines erupt most commonly when novas are using their powers around them.”

"If we really wanted to make a splash we could even fake an eruption. Joe or Jane baseline walks into the clinic, and while under the cameras, erupts, and is hustled off. Now THAT would attract attention. It’d be easy to fake too… although if and when the truth came out we’d have problems."

"Oh, and it'd even be self financing. People would pay to go to quantum lectures on the glory of Mal. People would pay to be healed. People would pay to have research done on them to research eruption.”

Jane finished a glass and leaned forward. "I don't know about the rest of the world, but I know Asia fairly well."

"Asia is a good option, as long as you know what you're doing and do it carefully. As far as recruiting goes, Asia is prime ground. Japan, China, and India don't approve of PU, and the novas there aren't likely to go flying off to Utopia when they erupt. In China, novas are forced into the Exploding Heavenly Mandate group, or even worse they get imprisoned, dissected, and executed. Just for being novas. China is an enemy of novakind just as much as PU is."

"But don't just think we can open a clinic with our name on it, or open a clinic associated with us. Asia may disapprove of PU, but that still doesn't mean they like Terats. We're still terrorists to the world. Every nation sees us as baby killers. China would open it's borders to PU before it would open them to us. CORE aside, Japan is the same. If you aren't making yourself a media icon or helping Japan advance technology, then you're not welcome by the Japanese government."

"I don't have much experience in India, but I do know there are a lot of people there that don't even have access to television, yet still think that we're the 'bad guys'. The 'bad guys', dammit! Pathetic baselines in some pissant village in poverty-stricken India. They barely have access to printed media, and even they think we're snarling comic book villains!"

Jane stood from her seat, her voice becoming angrier and more passionate with every word. "I guess Flare's idea is good, but I can't find myself caring about a herd of baseline sheep like that. There are herders in this world, and I'm not one of them. I'm a wolf. I understand that every baseline has the potential to become a nova, and frankly, that's their only saving grace, and that's why I'd prefer to thin the herd. Why should we suffer the weakest sheep? They need to be killed for the sake of the future!"

Dark violet bolts of electricity flickered back and forth between her eyes "I say we start with the Church of Michael Archangel. They piss me off to the core, and there isn't a person in this room that feels differently. Why are we still suffering those butchers? The baselines need to be taught a lesson, and-"

Jane stopped herself. She looked around the room, almost as if to remind herself of where she was. Sitting down and clearing her throat, she calmed herself. "I, um...a nova-worshipping community could help keep the baselines in line, but I couldn't be a part of it. So go ahead and start your community. I'm the One Race, and proud of it. I wouldn't lower myself."

Roach did all that he could to keep from laughing out loud after hearing Jane finnish her sermon. Not only did he not agree...he didn't understand most of it. *Who in the bleedin' hell is Michael Archangel* he thought to himself, he hadn't heard the name.

"I don't mean to disagree with ye there love, but eliminated the weaker baselines. That's a bit extreme fer one who claims te have no claim in em'. Sounds te me like they've hurt ye in the past...and now ye wanna hurt em back. I know a bit about that ye know..." He motions to his mutated face and hands. "People don' like me much fer me looks and fer me habbits I 'spose. But I don' feel slaughter is a good way ta let em know we're here te help. Sure wouldn't win me over!"

Roach looks around the room and it dawns on him *The guys don' listen to ye anyway...an' why should they, they better'n you. Stop talking so much!*

With that thought, he falls back into his chair pulls down his hat a bit and thinks about his role in this.

King Cobra grins at that, evidently becoming more and more amused as Jill gradually loses control. As she proposes a systematic execution of Church of Michael Archangel members, he catches her eye, still grinning, and mouths, "Call me."

I don' feel slaughter is a good way ta let em know we're here te help. Sure wouldn't win me over!"

Cobra shrugs. "No reason to do that under the Promethean aegis. When Michaelites are murdered, pretty much any nova is a possible suspect."

Dark violet bolts of electricity flickered back and forth between her eyes "I say we start with the Church of Michael Archangel. They piss me off to the core, and there isn't a person in this room that feels differently. Why are we still suffering those butchers? The baselines need to be taught a lesson, and-"

Jane stopped herself. She looked around the room, almost as if to remind herself of where she was. Sitting down and clearing her throat, she calmed herself. "I, um...a nova-worshipping community could help keep the baselines in line, but I couldn't be a part of it. So go ahead and start your community. I'm the One Race, and proud of it. I wouldn't lower myself."

As Jane was speaking, James grew more and more disturbed by her tone of voice and apparent attitude towards humans. Until she got to the part about the Michaelites. Then it seemed that all the color drained out of his face, and his expression went dead. Inside James was a roiling cauldron of conflicting emotions. He didn't agree with Jane about teaching humans in general a lesson, but he couldn't deny his own feelings regarding the Michaelites. He came to a decision.

Leaning forward in Jane's direction he said quietly, "about the Michaelites... I'm in." The look on James' face as he said this would probably have frightened a more delicate nova than Jane. His face was devoid of all life, except for his eyes, which burned with an intensity that was quite disturbingly different than the look they normally held. James could barely see Jane only a few feet in front of him because of the image that was burned into his mind's eye; that of his dead brother lying in a pool of his own blood while four Michaelites stood by and complimented each other on a job well done....

Bob says in a speculative voice,

"Why not set it up here? We're already here, Utopia pretty much isn't, and in the 3rd world boondocks the press won't be finding us."

"We could announce a clinic that heals people, helps Terats practice their powers, encourages baselines to worship Terats, and attempts to make baselines erupt, all in one shot. Better still it’d even be close to legitimate since baselines erupt most commonly when novas are using their powers around them.”

"If we really wanted to make a splash we could even fake an eruption. Joe or Jane baseline walks into the clinic, and while under the cameras, erupts, and is hustled off. Now THAT would attract attention. It’d be easy to fake too… although if and when the truth came out we’d have problems."

"Oh, and it'd even be self financing. People would pay to go to quantum lectures on the glory of Mal. People would pay to be healed. People would pay to have research done on them to research eruption.”

"That is something I could help with, at least some of the time. One of my summons is capable of healing, and lots of people find they can't help but listen to my opinions."

Jane finished a glass and leaned forward. "I don't know about the rest of the world, but I know Asia fairly well."

"Asia is a good option, as long as you know what you're doing and do it carefully. As far as recruiting goes, Asia is prime ground. Japan, China, and India don't approve of PU, and the novas there aren't likely to go flying off to Utopia when they erupt. In China, novas are forced into the Exploding Heavenly Mandate group, or even worse they get imprisoned, dissected, and executed. Just for being novas. China is an enemy of novakind just as much as PU is."

"But don't just think we can open a clinic with our name on it, or open a clinic associated with us. Asia may disapprove of PU, but that still doesn't mean they like Terats. We're still terrorists to the world. Every nation sees us as baby killers. China would open it's borders to PU before it would open them to us. CORE aside, Japan is the same. If you aren't making yourself a media icon or helping Japan advance technology, then you're not welcome by the Japanese government."

Leiko nods along emphatically with Jane's mention of Japan, punctuating it with a quiet, "Hear he*crackle*."

Leiko watches Roach and James speak up to Jane's speech, and waits until they finish. "I have no truck at all with defending ourselves - even proactively - against the speciest* scum like that Church. But beating on the reclusive people stuck at the back-ends of the world, because they have only been exposed to Utopian propaganda, is both unfair and more importantly proves them right. I have some talent with words as well as images, I will see if perhaps I can whip us up a better counter-propaganda service. Ah, if, that is, anyone here speaks Indian?"

* - speciest, like racist, but against someone of a different species.

"I don' feel slaughter is a good way ta let em know we're here te help. Sure wouldn't win me over!"
Leiko gives Roach a quiet salute with her water bottle for his part after she finishes her part.

Bob comments,

"Squishing Cult of Mike Angel types is like stepping on ants, it's easy, but I'm not sure we're accomplishing anything. I don't want to kill a dozen members. I want to destroy the movement."

"I want the press to find links between the movement and organized crime, organized child molesters, and normal terrorists. I want it made public that the leaders of those idiots regularly used nova healers and nova prostitutes. I want the police to be arresting them and then they have to get boyfriends named 'Bubba' to protect them in jail from their fellow inmates."

Jack considers what Jane (not Jill ;) ) says while the others respond. She made some good points, and some bad ones. The others had their own points as well. And their own Grudges.

*I dont know if killing the Michaelites is the best idea. Many of them have the opportunity to join the One Race. And then who are they going to turn to? If we can get to them first we can help them into their new life as a member of the one Race...or help them end that life if they choose. There is no point to a self-hating nova.

I think all baselines should have the opportunity to become one of the One Race. How else are we going to grow our numbers unless we give them that one gift...time.

If you want to kill Michaelites, fine. That is your right to thin the herd. It may also be best...to protect the One Race from the sheep that seek to raise above their station. But please dont use their unenlightened minds, bodies and ideas as a way to advance a grudge when there could be so much more gained by biding our time.

How about we focus on a more positive solution before we destroy all thoes possible sparks of enlightenment. India sounds like a good idea. Or if we want a fight...China. We could take a portion of it...near Tibet. Defend it and make it into our safe haven for Nova-kind.* he transmits again.

Bob comments,

"Squishing Cult of Mike Angel types is like stepping on ants, it's easy, but I'm not sure we're accomplishing anything. I don't want to kill a dozen members. I want to destroy the movement."

"I want the press to find links between the movement and organized crime, organized child molesters, and normal terrorists. I want it made public that the leaders of those idiots regularly used nova healers and nova prostitutes. I want the police to be arresting them and then they have to get boyfriends named 'Bubba' to protect them in jail from their fellow inmates."

After Bob finished speaking James caught his eye and said, "If you have any specific plans for making all that happen let me know, I'd like to get in on that as well..."

I have some talent with words as well as images, I will see if perhaps I can whip us up a better counter-propaganda service. Ah, if, that is, anyone here speaks Indian?"

"Does anyone speak Hindi, you mean?" Cobra says. "No. But many Indians speak English these days. You should be able to get on fine. Haven't you gone into the city yet?"

King Cobra shrugs. "We've got time. Besides, James needs training. I'll be a lot more comfortable sending him against an armored squad of Directive soldiers with anti-tank lasers after I've seen him burn through fifty or so Michaelites without a problem. But yes, I agree that the New Prometheans as a whole should have bigger things on their plate."

How about we focus on a more positive solution before we destroy all thoes possible sparks of enlightenment. India sounds like a good idea. Or if we want a fight...China. We could take a portion of it...near Tibet. Defend it and make it into our safe haven for Nova-kind.

"Ah, a safe haven. I cannot think of a more elusive and enticing dream. But wanting a haven...and making one...are entirely different."

Divis Mal needed no introduction.

His sheer presence filled the room with an energy that was unmistakable. Terats not looking in his direction when he entered the room were aware of his presence before they even heard him speak; those that had never met him felt a disturbing and strange comfort they had never felt before. The most powerful nova alive had descended from must have been the heavens to greet his new Promethean children.

Dead silence filled the room for several moments; they felt like an eternity.

"I apologize for my interruption; the Count made me aware of this gathering, and I came to meet those that would take the One Race down a new path. I look around the room now and I cannot manage to fight back the sense of pride that I feel. The Null Manifesto called out to each of you. Each of you felt the desire for something more than the slavery that baselines offered. Each of you knew that deep down inside, something greater existed. You understood that you were the One Race, and that changes had to be made to the world around you if you were to survive."

"You cried out to the Teragen...but the Teragen did not respond to your cries the way you desired. You searched within and without the movement, and yet still did not find those that shared your voice for the future. Where so many others had retreated back to the cold comfort of baseline bondage, where so many others had changed their voices to match those of their percieved betters, where so many others had conceded defeat, you decided to create a new voice. A voice that matched yours, one that would support your fellow Terats, yet oppose them if need be. It is for this...that I feel proud."

Divis paused for a moment, changing his tone. "The Michaelites are a problem, and they are one of many problems facing our movement. Baseline prejudices against novakind will always exist as long as they remain in ignorant fear of novakind. If the Church of Michael Archangel were to fall through scandal, bloodshed, or even enlightenment to the glory of novas, a new church would take its place, one more angry than the previous...and one more focused and organized. Such is the nature of the panicked baselines."

"And yet...it is inevitable, isn't it? Inevitable that conflicts will erupt between baselines and the One Race, conflicts greater in scale than the ones we already bear witness to every day. There will be bloodshed. There will be much bloodshed. And there will be struggle and sacrifice, and there will be bleeding and rejoicing, and there will be death and rebirth. All of these things and more. The Michaelites will be slaughtered if need be, and the Utopians and baseline governments as well, and anyone else that would stand opposed to us. For too long have we reacted instead of acted. How many times have we witnessed atrocities against the One Race, atrocities that could have been prevented had we stopped the baselines responsible beforehand? Perhaps the Michaelites need to be shown an example..."

Divis held his arms out as he spoke, as if giving a sermon. "Become the parents, the teachers, the messiahs. Have them fear you, have them respect you, have them worship you. When they bow before you, know that you are above them. When they seek your guidance, give it to them as they need it. And when they take a knife to you...and they will...do not hesitate to strike them down. And when they beg for your forgiveness, give it to them if they truly deserve it. Be the true Prometheans, the ones that would bring down the flame and enlighten the blind, but also become the judges, the ones that would determine who is weak and who is strong."

"They are not our equals. In time, they will come to understand this truth as you all have. But as you have pointed out, every baseline carries within them the possibility of novahood, and that cannot be ignored. Cultivate the Teragen image in the masses. Let them know that if they are blessed enough to become a nova, we shall welcome them into our ranks, granted that they embrace the path of Teras. To become the One Race is a great thing, but to embrace Teras is a glorious thing."

"And let me give an additional warning...not to the baseline monkeys, but to every Terat in this room, and every nova beyond. The Teragen will have no sympathy for those that would hide and cower. Nor will it have patience for those that would doubt themselves. And it will not have room for those that would remain tethered to their unfortunate baseline origins. A reckoning may soon be at hand. The weak will be culled, and the determined will remain, stronger than ever. And I wonder...at the end of this long, terrible road...which Terats will walk beside me towards the new Quantum Eden?"

Divis took a long look around the room and met the gaze of every Promethean Terat. With a simple turn, he left the room the way he entered, and in his wake it seemed as if a vacuum formed where he once stood.

Mal.

King Cobra shifts from eufibre-clad flesh to shadowform, standing as a black, inky darkness in the center of the room, as Divis Mal makes his presence known. It was only appropriate - this was the father of the Teragen movement. This was Teras incarnate. Divis Mal. Cobra listens carefully to everything the leader says.

"Wow."

Cobra, shifting back to flesh, permits himself a grin in James's direction.

"Feels like we ought to have been writing down everything he said to us, doesn't it?"

Mal.

King Cobra shifts from eufibre-clad flesh to shadowform, standing as a black, inky darkness in the center of the room, as Divis Mal makes his presence known. It was only appropriate - this was the father of the Teragen movement. This was Teras incarnate. Divis Mal. Cobra listens carefully to everything the leader says.

Cobra, shifting back to flesh, permits himself a grin in James's direction.

"Feels like we ought to have been writing down everything he said to us, doesn't it?"

James snorted a slightly nervous laugh and said, "Shyeah! If I could remember how to, I'm still trying to remember how to blink!"

(Before)

"Does anyone speak Hindi, you mean?" Cobra says. "No…"
Bob remarks,

”Yes. Hindi, Indian, Japanese, you name it, I’ve eaten it, so I speak it.”

After Bob finished speaking James caught him in the eye and said, "If you have any specific plans for making all that happen let me know, I'd like to get in on that as well..."
Bob responds,

”Actually, yeah. Most of that is doable…”

(Mal enters and speaks)

James sat in stunned silence for at least fifteen seconds after Divis Mal had left, but he was the first to break the silence; he let out a breath it seemed he'd been holding since Divis first entered the room and said simply,

"Wow."

It’s several moments after that before Bob opens his mouth to say something witty and brilliant…

“Wow…”

Or maybe not.

After the speaker left and the room once again began to draw breath, a stunned and confused Roach looked to the silent members of the gathering

"...So...um. Who was that?"

Leiko glances at the bottle-eating nova, her eyes still wide, and immediately jumps to the conclusion that he must have lost a few brain cells looking at the 'sun'. "That was Divis Mal. The leader of the entire Teragen." She stops, and her eyes get a far away look before she sighs. "Oh, I am so glad I have a perfect memory."

Leiko glances at the bottle-eating nova, her eyes still wide, and immediately jumps to the conclusion that he must have lost a few brain cells looking at the 'sun'. "That was Divis Mal. The leader of the entire Teragen." She stops, and her eyes get a far away look before she sighs. "Oh, I am so glad I have a perfect memory."

Roach doesn't understand the concept per se. Was this Divis Mal his leader, in which case why wasn't he here at the meeting. Was he the leader of Novas? *Hmm perhaps, that would make him very powerful indeed. No wonder da others look a bit worse fer wears!* Then the answer came as plainly as any thought he'd had in this new and confusing world.

"So dat would make Envy da Underboss u' this group...er team...thing. I un'erstand!"

Roach fills his cheeks with air then blows it out as if sighing in his own way as he subtley nods his head to the table, now understanding the situation...in his own way.

((Ack! A day goes by and look what I miss!))

P.D. (Pre Divis)

"Cuba is hardly a third-world country anymore. Havana is a media circus, and we shouldn't kid ourselves either...There is a very decent chance that the Directive or even Utopia is aware of this little gathering even as we speak. Still...a clinic is a good idea, especially if we can get some high caliber nova researchers to provide us with the requisite legitimacy. Also, if we plan to operate in China it will be less of a clinic and more of an underground railroad, but even this is a much needed step and far beyond what any other Terats have been able to organize."

After Jane explodes into a rant, Envy walks over and is about to place a paternal hand upon her shoulder when he catches himself. He clenches his fist and a grimace of pain flashes across his face before regaining it's compsure. In a compassionate voice, he intones, "Easy Jane. I know all too well the rage that boils within you. Rage that the Primacy encouraged and festered. We are here to expand the definition of the One Race to include our latent brothers and sisters. Eventually we will know enough to erupt every baseline...and what would we have them think of their new family?"

"Squishing Cult of Mike Angel types is like stepping on ants, it's easy, but I'm not sure we're accomplishing anything. I don't want to kill a dozen members. I want to destroy the movement."...
*I dont know if killing the Michaelites is the best idea. Many of them have the opportunity to join the One Race. And then who are they going to turn to? If we can get to them first we can help them into their new life as a member of the one Race...or help them end that life if they choose. There is no point to a self-hating nova.

Cobra shrugs. "No reason to do that under the Promethean aegis. When Michaelites are murdered, pretty much any nova is a possible suspect."

King Cobra shrugs. "We've got time. Besides, James needs training. I'll be a lot more comfortable sending him against an armored squad of Directive soldiers with anti-tank lasers after I've seen him burn through fifty or so Michaelites without a problem. But yes, I agree that the New Prometheans as a whole should have bigger things on their plate."

"History shows that converting zealots is, at best, an unprofitable endeavor. K.C. is correct however in that they have their uses. In line with what I had been saying before, this is a war that must be fought on two fronts. Colony, your cunning and insight serves us all well, and you are correct, Cobra, that the Promethean name should have nothing to do with this."

"...I would suggest we use Directive tactics...we watch them while they plan the takedown of a nova...then,when they are in the midst of striking, we blaze in, dispatching merciless justice and ideally gaining an ally in the intended victim. In this way can we be procative, but it is still better to let them fall under the axe of their own hubris. Novas are targets enough and even terrorist actions that have nothing to do with the Teragen get blamed on us. We must at all times, maintain spin control, lest Utopia take all the advantage."

"Now, I must echo Roach's sentiment ...that we will be much effective if we can win the public heart as heroes. There is nothing to stop us taking down the Michaelites, but what can we build in it's stead?"

Divis Enters!

With a sharp intake of breath, Envy stands before the great Patriarch. "Divis..."

Divis has left the building!

"Wow."

"Wow…"

Envy clears his throat. "Well! That was...inspiring...to say the least... My friends, you have just witnessed a glimpse of our potential, yet I would caution you all to not make the mistake of some of our peers and fall to hero worship. I am sure Flare can echo this sentiment as well...that if we are to honor the great achievements of Mal, we must remember that our own worth, our own potential, our lives are equally as great...if we chosse them to be..."

"That was Divis Mal. The leader of the entire Teragen."

"So dat would make Envy da Underboss u' this group...er team...thing. I un'erstand!"

"Divis is our figurehead, and he leads only the sense that he has blazed a path we must all follow. Divis, and his Voice, Scripture brought us the wisdom of the Chrysalis, that we might keep our sanity on the path of transformation. And, my dear Roach...please think of me as your brother. I do not intend to be a "boss" to anyone here. Indeed it has been said that the greatest of Kings is servant to All... I have invited you all here because I am asking for your help..."

"Well, in dat case...I'm proud ta be here. I can help ya'll I'm sure a' dat. Ya have'ta fergive me a bit if I seem a tad novice. I am! I learn fast I fer my part. I fear I'm not the thinker you all are. I'm a soldier as they say, some have called me a monster. I'm no such thing! I havn' got the mind fer strategy and schemes. I do what I'm told and have'ta hope that I can find fulfillment in it."

Roach relaxes a bit, he has never felt as much an equal among Novas as this moment. He recognized his lower status when compared to this knowledgable and experienced lot, but he does appreciate his value as it is.

"'Mm happy te be a part of this and I thank ye for the invite...brother!"

(After Divis has left)

Bob finally recovers from Divis’ speech and says,

"Envy, those tactics are pure Directive, wait till they make a mistake and then make your move. The problem is that’s defense, we need to play offense. Michaelite attacks aren’t that common, so we might wait a long time. We’d need a public nova to be in their face for a while to give them time to plan out their move. We’d need to find out which group of COMA idiots was stalking them. And since our public nova would be, well, public; we’d need to dodge Utopian recruiters and Directive types while setting all this up. All this might take months, or even years, and then when they finally make their move, if they don’t chicken out, we might be looking at one guy with a car bomb or hand gun rather than a dozen with rifles.”

“Even if it works, when the PR comes out, the rest of the movement will disavow him publicly and say privately that it took three or four Terats to stop one Michaelite. Utopia will say he wasn’t with COMA at all and we just picked somebody at random.”

“I suggest we play offense. Pick out the top three members of COMA. Their brightest stars, the ones that look good in front of the cameras. Then research them. Find out how they behave, where they bank, and what their fingerprints are. Pick one of the three who has a family, preferably with young children.”

“Then we get a pile of kiddy-stuff-porn, I put his finger prints all over it, and we hide it somewhere in his house. Then I take his place, plant clues of my hidden life and the fact that I’m fleeing to join one of my brother COMA types, withdraw every dime he has access to, especially church funds, and disappear along with one of his kids.”

“The Cops will get involved, find ‘his’ stash, and put his hidden life under a microscope. All those clandestine, hidden, activities that maybe they turned a blind eye too, now they get dragged into the light… and better still, some of the Michaelites will even help. The press will get the idea that COMA is hiding this guy, and so forth.”

“And then in 6 months or so, we do something similar with one of the other leaders. Maybe he’ll find out that a student in an elementary school tested positive for the gene so he’ll try to blow it up, something like that.”

“Then we get a pile of kiddy-stuff-porn, I put his finger prints all over it, and we hide it somewhere in his house. Then I take his place, plant clues of my hidden life and the fact that I’m fleeing to join one of my brother COMA types, withdraw every dime he has access to, especially church funds, and disappear along with one of his kids.”

Roach feels his lips curling up as a dog would bare its teeth in anger.

"No Kids." He heard himself say, with a bit of emotion welling up inside him. He doesn't know why he said it, he's not sentimental or unrealistic...something about it though, sounded wrong. His energies amped he added...

"I'm not quite knowing whats goin on 'ere. You talking about wars, and genocide and stealin' kids in da night. Why hurt the innocent when you're targets be some'ers else. You want one of these COMA people...snatch 'em in public and dismember 'em...that'd get yer point across. I don' think I can be involved with taking kids. Seems wrong, no matter who they may grow up te be!"

Seeing Roach snarl, Envy quickly steps in.

"I admire your willingness "Bob," but Roach is correct...The public already thinks of us as child-eating boogeymen...we need to be careful *not* to reinforce that image if we are going to make progress. Whatever you do, just make sure you coordinate with the rest of us and please be discreet...the best part of your plan is that they need never know a nova was involved. I'd suggest we use similar tactics against the American Eagle party..."

Seeing Roach snarl, Envy quickly steps in.

"I admire your willingness "Bob," but Roach is correct...The public already thinks of us as child-eating boogeymen...we need to be careful *not* to reinforce that image if we are going to make progress. Whatever you do, just make sure you coordinate with the rest of us and please be discreet...the best part of your plan is that they need never know a nova was involved. I'd suggest we use similar tactics against the American Eagle party..."

After Envy intervene's, Roach immediately calms down and comes to his senses. Its not in his nature to argue with fellow Nova's, especially his Promethian brothers. "Mm sorry fer dat Bob. Its not my place to argue with ye...its just...taking the lives of littl'ns doesn't seem right."

Almost as a knee jerk reaction of his quickly approaching embarrasment, he removes his hat and begins to nibble on the bill.

Jane sat mesmerized and stunned during Mal's speech. At first she didn't believe it. Why would he be here? But his...presence...was unmistakable. She had only met him once, and only briefly, and this was definetly the same man. The same being.

Be the true Prometheans, the ones that would bring down the flame and enlighten the blind, but also become the judges, the ones that would determine who is weak and who is strong.

*Judges...* she thought to herself. Something about Mal's choice of wording clicked with her. Did he want her to be...a judge? The thought flowed throughout her head until Roach spoke...

"You want one of these COMA people...snatch 'em in public and dismember 'em...that'd get yer point across."

Jane finally piped in for the first time after Mal's exit, snapping herself to attention. "I agree. Those bastards belong on the receiving end of my blade...but I'd rather chop their heads off than stab them from behind. I say we kill one of their leaders in public, like Geryon did a few months back. Remember? That Grand Deacon Piper guy got creamed by a statue of St. Michael, and Geryon was the one that threw it. That church made the mistake of putting Geryon at the top of their list, and he's been hellbent on killing them ever since. I say we join in. We wait until there's a public gathering, with cameras and crowds, and we show the entire world what it means to oppose novas like they do. And if T2M is there, we can make a quick example of them too."

"It's time to show those monkeys we won't tolerate any more. Every moment wasted could mean the life of another nova at their hands!"

********************Flare/Jill********************

Jill revered Mal; his words spoke to her core. That he had words for her and the other Prometheans was flattery of the highest order. For the duration of his speech, she managed to completely lose her composure and let her guard down. It was like hearing from God.

Jack watches the door a for a good few seconds before he transmits to Jill (not intending to have it told to other people). *I can see why you spread his word. I agree with the 'wow' comments.*

Jill responded only to Jack. *Now you understand. I don't even think I have the right words to describe the greatness of what just happened...I feel breathless...*

After Envy intervene's, Roach immediately calms down and comes to his senses. Its not in his nature to argue with fellow Nova's, especially his Promethian brothers. "Mm sorry fer dat Bob. Its not my place to argue with ye...its just...taking the lives of littl'ns doesn't seem right."

Almost as a knee jerk reaction of his quickly approaching embarrasment, he removes his hat and begins to nibble on the bill.

Bob says slowly... first to Roach then he raises his voice slightly to include everyone,

"Roach... No, make that all of you. First of all, you're correct, it wouldn't be right. But at the same time, we need to realize, we're losing. We are out numbered by the baselines by something like a million to one. That means if I killed 20 baselines a day, every day, it would take me 146 years to balance one nova."

"COMA has killed at least two of us, maybe more. Probably more. If we dropped a fusion bomb on Detroit it wouldn't be a fair trade, the baselines could take that ratio and we'd be the ones extinct at the end of the game."

"Right now COMA is a small problem, but as a movement they will grow. That's our problem. Kill one of them and we make a martyr, and the message you are sending leads to our extinction, because we can’t take those kinds of trades. We have to strike at the movement, not the man. I’ve no desire to re-create Martin Luther King Jr for the Michaelites.”

“As for the kid”, Here Bob shrugs,

“I’m flexible. Maybe there are no likely candidates. Maybe the rest of you over rule me and we come up with a different plan. Maybe even the people I absorb don’t die, even I don’t know. But we need to find a way to head these baselines off, and channel them into productive ends, because the kind of trades we’re making now are called Pyrex victories. That means we lose for winning.”

Roach thought for what seemed to be a minute before replying.

"I un'erstand Bob, I do. I don' think the slaugher of our kind is good either. I just don' think that destroying 20 basies a day is the answer we're lookin fer. Perhaps we try somethin' sneaky, like yer saying, just no taking and scaring or killin' kids."

Roach paused again as if cycling through his mental file cabinets.

"What if we start by doin som good fer these people...the ones of us who don't look like monsters ((motions to himself)) we build a bit o' positive talk, then we use them fer some help. Baseline votes are whats' gonna save us. We can fight a war with em' and when its done...even if we win it won't be a world worth livin' in."

He think on that a sec and then shrugs as if he suddenly disagreed. Roach can survive anywhere, he thought.

"At the en' 'o the day though...I'm not fer making decissions, I'm fer helping out anyway I can. People like you and Envy there are fer making decissions. Push come te shove...I'm fer following you all to a better life."

Leiko listens to the whole back-and-forth over Bob's plans for discrediting CoMA, and finds herself mostly agreeing with Roach. Except for one thing ...

"I can think of one situation where I would approve with kidnapping the child of a Michaelite like that - even though it would doubtlessly help the children to be freed from such hateful rhetoric. And that is if we could test the child for latency ourselves. Otherwise, framing them for an attempted bombing is all well and good - so long as no one is actually harmed." She smiles thinly, and glances at Roach. "Or maybe they accidentally blow themselves up while constructing the bomb?"

"Roach... No, make that all of you. First of all, you're correct, it wouldn't be right. But at the same time, we need to realize, we're losing. We are out numbered by the baselines by something like a million to one. That means if I killed 20 baselines a day, every day, it would take me 146 years to balance one nova."

"COMA has killed at least two of us, maybe more. Probably more. If we dropped a fusion bomb on Detroit it wouldn't be a fair trade, the baselines could take that ratio and we'd be the ones extinct at the end of the game."

"Right now COMA is a small problem, but as a movement they will grow. That's our problem. Kill one of them and we make a martyr, and the message you are sending leads to our extinction, because we can’t take those kinds of trades. We have to strike at the movement, not the man. I’ve no desire to re-create Martin Luther King Jr for the Michaelites.”

“As for the kid”, Here Bob shrugs,

“I’m flexible. Maybe there are no likely candidates. Maybe the rest of you over rule me and we come up with a different plan. Maybe even the people I absorb don’t die, even I don’t know. But we need to find a way to head these baselines off, and channel them into productive ends, because the kind of trades we’re making now are called Pyrex victories. That means we lose for winning.”

"Pyrrhic victories," corrects King Cobra absently.

He's absolutely right. A true warrior uses every weapon he has at hand.

He remains silent for Roach's and Leiko's rejoinder, longer, before he speaks. His voice is calm and strong when he does.

"All right, Bob. You make a good point. But I'm with Roach, and Envy, and Leiko. No children. I'll explain why. A big part of me feels like helping you with what you suggest, but I will not do so. I can explain the reason in one sentence, and it has to do with the reason I'm here. Here it is:

"Being Promethean should mean we don't compare ourselves to baselines.

"That's it. Yes, they outnumber us, but this isn't some kind of competition. We are interdependent as of now. And I'm not sorry for it."

He takes a deep breath.

"Oh, and you're including humanity at large in your tactical conception of the Michaelites, which is kind of a misrepresentation."

Archived