Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Prologue: The Genesis of Quantum Prometheus

Blue Thunder

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"They want us to fix their problems. To purify the rivers they dirty. To clean the air they pollute. To regrow the forests they destroy. To cure the diseases they succumb to. To topple the governments they don't agree with. And to kill the novas they fear the most, until there are no novas left. Baselines won't admit it but they rely on us now. Without novas the world of baselines would fall apart."

"Like parents, it is time for us to discipline our children. They've become insolent and disrespectful. They lash out at us because they don't understand us. It is our job to open their eyes to the truth. We must teach them that we alone have the power to better the baseline world. They can follow behind us as we show them a glorious new age...or they can fall beneath us in opposition."

James cleared his throat as Jill finished and looked at her and then the others gathered before speaking up, "Look, I agree with most - well almost all - of what you just said, but I just wanted to comment on the last bit right now, because I hear that argument all the time." James paused for a moment to gather his thoughts before continuing, "When you say 'they' want us to fix their problems, I guess it just bugs me a little, and no offense intended, I mean I really do agree with most of what you just said, it's just that 7 months ago I was 'they' and not that long before that most of you were 'they'. We may be 'beyond' baselines - I certainly think so - but most of us aren't yet 'above' them, in fact most of us are barely more than a single step 'beyond' them and it could be argued that many of those that are have taken that step in the wrong direction. And so what if they want us to fix problems? Those are our problems too. Or at least most of them are." He paused again and glanced around before continuing, "Look, I don't want to ramble or take up too much time here, so I'll just get to the point. We were all baselines before we were novas, we were all 'they' and we all, to one degree or another, had baseline assumptions about the world and about novas that would embarrass us to recall now. I don't want to forget that, it keeps me humble, and it keeps me focused on where I'm going and on where I want to be. I want to be better, I want to be more, but I don't think that I," and here he paused a third time, though only for an instant, "or anyone else here has actually earned the right to be called better. Only different. And I think that's what we're here to change."

Having finished, James sat down, trying to keep the color from burning away his cheeks. Most of these Terats had far more experience than him, and more wisdom, and more power, and he just didn't feel entirely comfortable speaking so forcefully around them. Then, as if to make up for some offense or something, he blurts out in Jill's direction, "but like I said, I agree with you in the main, it's just some of the particulars I disagree with! I'm glad both you and Jack are here. I'm glad all of you are here..."

And with that James did his best to burrow a hole in his chair and shrink from sight. *What was I thinking?*

Roach gets up out of his chair and moves backwars towards the wall.

"Don't worry," Cobra mutters in his direction, waving him back towards the bar.

"I want to be better, I want to be more, but I don't think that I," and here he paused a third time, though only for an instant, "or anyone else here has actually earned the right to be called better. Only different. And I think that's what we're here to change."

Cobra nods as James speaks, then looks over at him as he finishes.

"I am better than a baseline, James. I think most of us are. But only a little better. And you're right: none of us is Mal yet, either."

"And so what if they want us to fix problems? Those are our problems too. Or at least most of them are."
Leiko listens to him ramble for a moment, then shakes her head slightly. "Many of 'their' problems are ours, yes - pollution, overpopulation, laziness with technology. Other problems are baseline ones that novas could provide solutions for - the differences in politics, religions, etc. The only thing that I think we all agree on is that everyone seems to feel that something must be done to prevent widescale destruction."

Jack transmits through Jill...

*To be a Nova is to surpass our baseline failings, just like to be human is to surpass their animal failings. Baselines have created more and more failings for themselves, beyond what the simple apes had. To overcome the failings, we need a new path. One that broadens our perceptions...and changes them. That is why we have the Teras, and the Cult of Mal.

What we have to understand is that to help change the perceptions of the baselines to one that shows them their proper place. One of being the old generation that may eventually die out...one of being children to our adulthood. We need to utilise tools they can understand in order to do that.

Remember that baselines never abandoned the tools that their simian forefathers. They still use simple tools. We should not be afraid to do the same. Its what they understand...something they can apprecaite. Religion is the most obvious way to do so. We can also do so thorugh force if needbe, and simply outlive the generations untill they have conceded their fate.

They may be baseline tools, but they are tools we shouldent forget.

But the first step we should take is the question. Should we use our tools now...or try to take a different path? As it is, our path cant be successful. We are devided. The paths we are taking to make a place for ourselves are just as devided. We need a unified voice...or at least one that seeks to be unified. Thats one thing that Utopia has that we dont. Their devisions are unified. We need to find something where our devided factions can unite. That...well, there are many ways we can do that. I really dont know what our best option would be. The foremost answer would be to start our own country...we could take over cuba by ourselves with no problems but that would cause its own problems.*

...He pauses bowing his head and turning it towards one shoulder in intense concentration. His face aquires a curious expression which slowly transfroms into a smile. "Bob..." he says to himself. Looking up and meeting the eyes of his Doppleganger he replies,

"As this is a personal matter between us, I'll ask that we speak in private after the meeting...Mr. Goreman."

Bob realizes there is deeper issue here and responds, ”O.K.“

"… Mal wants us to be his equals.
Bob comments, ”Gonna take a while I think.“

He waits for a pause and then says more broadly,

“Talk of wolves is right. The sheep are never going to accept the wolves, and that’s fine. But the two do need each other. Without the sheep the wolves don’t eat grass. Although since we’re smart maybe the sheep herder analogy works better. Or maybe even god, although gods aren’t known for culling and herders and wolves are.”

Leiko listens to him ramble for a moment, then shakes her head slightly. "Many of 'their' problems are ours, yes - pollution, overpopulation, laziness with technology. Other problems are baseline ones that novas could provide solutions for - the differences in politics, religions, etc. The only thing that I think we all agree on is that everyone seems to feel that something must be done to prevent widescale destruction."

Envy nods. "Well said Leiko. Pragmatism is often the best philosophy. Baselines may be children yes. But they are children playing with atomic weapons and worse. If we hope to have a peaceful coexistance, they will need to be disarmed before they set the whole planet off."

"In a related matter...well before the emergence of our kind, the greatest minds cautioned that humanity was vulnerable so long as it remained locked on one planet. We can finally lead mankiond to the stars..."

But the first step we should take is the question. Should we use our tools now...or try to take a different path? As it is, our path cant be successful. We are devided. The paths we are taking to make a place for ourselves are just as devided. We need a unified voice...or at least one that seeks to be unified. Thats one thing that Utopia has that we dont. Their devisions are unified. We need to find something where our devided factions can unite. That...well, there are many ways we can do that. I really dont know what our best option would be. The foremost answer would be to start our own country...we could take over cuba by ourselves with no problems but that would cause its own problems.*

"Im not sure that we can find a country on this planet. Look how far the Protectors had to go and still, they are harrased. There is not much they could do were we to establish an Arcadia upon Luna's face...thats one thing they dare not nuke, and we could see them coming from far away. Of course Utopia would send their Novas, but what chance do they have if we present a united front...?"

"Talk of wolves is right. The sheep are never going to accept the wolves, and that's fine. But the two do need each other. Without the sheep the wolves don't eat grass. Although since we're smart maybe the sheep herder analogy works better. Or maybe even god, although gods aren't known for culling and herders and wolves are."

"Herders is more appropriate I think for the Prometheans. They will run from the wolves, and for those of us with such tendencies it is best to stalk from the shadows. As herders, we can walk among them, keeping them safe and guiding them towards a more enlightened existance."

"Jack is most correct in one thing." He pauses, making sure he has everyones attention. "We need to find our unity. We can talk about our ideas for creating a country, but perhaps it will be best if each of shares our ideal outcome. If we can find the commonalities in our diverse visions of the future, we can weave them together into a coherent form, one that we can actually plot a path to..."

"I don't want to create our own country," says King Cobra. "I want political independence from baselines - whether that means being my own country or part of a larger country of novas - but that doesn't mean I want to be physically, socially separate from them. I like them. That's the only reason I spend my nights out in the cold putting down murderers and rapists, and the reason I have to wear a mask when I talk to you all. But I think we do need our own system of government, and before we can establish that we need to be separate from baseline systems of government. Socio-political sympatry, if you will."

"I don't want to create our own country," says King Cobra. "I want political independence from baselines - whether that means being my own country or part of a larger country of novas - but that doesn't mean I want to be physically, socially separate from them. I like them. That's the only reason I spend my nights out in the cold putting down murderers and rapists, and the reason I have to wear a mask when I talk to you all. But I think we do need our own system of government, and before we can establish that we need to be separate from baseline systems of government. Socio-political sympatry, if you will."

"And you shall my friend, as is your choice. But for many of us, that simply isn't an option or a preference. So here we have two main goals coming into focus. One, the establishment of a Novas-only country while at the same time creating strong diplomatic ties with the baseline world. One of the many challenges to that diplomacy is respect. If we are going to travel among humans they ask that we respect their laws...the rights they extend to each other of privacy and property. I know that isn't a popular stance to take, but consider this. The more militant among us call them monkeys. Some cry for extermination. But even most humans don't live with monkeys, and they certainly don't define themselves in opposition..."

Envy sprouts a grin at that last thought. "They may start calling you Goodall, K.C..."

"Jesting aside, I think I would be happy with a policy of "live and let live." Certainly the One Race has more important and lofty concerns than metaphorically stepping on ant colonies. Of course I don't want them invading my kitchen either..."

What we have to understand is that to help change the perceptions of the baselines to one that shows them their proper place. One of being the old generation that may eventually die out...one of being children to our adulthood.
"Jesting aside, I think I would be happy with a policy of "live and let live." Certainly the One Race has more important and lofty concerns than metaphorically stepping on ant colonies. Of course I don't want them invading my kitchen either..."

James did his best not to roll his eyes as the speaking went on. It seemed like so many within the Teragen just didn't get it. *If they're ants and we're gods, then why are we the ones having a secret meeting in an underground bunker hiding behind a defensive grid? Humans have successfully maintained their position as the dominate species on this planet for hundreds of thousands of years; we've been around for twenty, and already we're talking about having to avoid extermination or mass destruction. How are they on their way out? There's billions of them! Where do we even get these ideas in the first place? I don't remember being a baseline and thinking of ants as children, I remember thinking of them as different, and largely inconsequential. And that by itself should be an indication that our thinking is wrong, because humanity isn't inconsequential. And where did this "they're children, we're adults" horsesh*t come from? We came from them, not the other way around. And so far as I've ever been able to tell the only difference between an adult and a child is experience, not power or intelligence or skill, and humans have got it over us in spades when it comes to experience!*

"And you shall my friend, as is your choice. But for many of us, that simply isn't an option or a preference. So here we have two main goals coming into focus. One, the establishment of a Novas-only country while at the same time creating strong diplomatic ties with the baseline world. One of the many challenges to that diplomacy is respect. If we are going to travel among humans they ask that we respect their laws...the rights they extend to each other of privacy and property. I know that isn't a popular stance to take, but consider this. The more militant among us call them monkeys. Some cry for extermination. But even most humans don't live with monkeys, and they certainly don't define themselves in opposition..."

That part at least James could agree with, and it was why he was here. Utopia said novas should pretend to be something they were not and serve a good that did not benefit them at all. The Directive feared what they didn't understand. And even most of the Teragen was much the same way, having forgotten their own pasts, they could no longer understand a world that feared what they had become and so they feared it in return. *And just like those "monkeys" we take so much pleasure in acting superior to our first reaction to something we don't understand is to lash out in fear and violence.* Even the more reasonable factions within the Teragen largely seemed to feel that humanity was obsolete or was destined to serve as some sort of pack animal for nova-kind. James just couldn't agree with any of that. First off, novas really had come from humanity - in the most literal sense of the phrase - and for that reason alone it was entirely reasonable for humans to assume that novas did owe them something. That didn't mean it was correct for them to think that, just that it was a reasonable assumption. Second, James couldn't see any reason to look down on or hate humanity, despite the fact that it was humans that killed his own brother. Sure they acted stupidly and violently a lot of the time, but weren't those novas he was always seeing on the opnet fighting and killing each other for ratings and money? Third, and this was almost a repeat of his first point, novas really did come from humanity - as in; humanity was becoming novas! Maybe not all of them, maybe not even most of them, but more and more of them were becoming brothers and sisters of the one race every year! *And I'm supposed to hate, look down on, or deride them? Every time we insult them or look down on them, it's like a butterfly insulting a caterpillar.*

The only faction or organization that James had heard of that offered him any hope were these Prometheans, and even here he was confronted with much of the same arrogance that marked so many others of the one race. *Ah...maybe it's me who doesn't understand something...most of these guys do have more experience than I do anyway. And they are talking more reasonably than almost anyone else I've spoken to since becoming a nova...*

James did his best to quiet his thoughts and return his focus to what was being said by the others around him.

*And I'm supposed to hate, look down on, or deride them? Every time we insult them or look down on them, it's like a butterfly insulting a caterpillar.*

King Cobra breaks into a grin, pleased that someone else here has about as much use for long-winded speeches as he does.

Roach settles back into his chair and listens to the continuing debate with wide black eyes. The majority of the conversation is going WAY over his head. He hadn't really thought about his role in shaping the world, or how to deal with baselines as a group. His Nova life to this point has been survival, pure and simple.

**Maybe being with these people is going to be good for me**

He ponders, fingering the hole in the table left by his acidic drool.

"Is this 'eh, group gonna take over de world er somethin? I'm fer helping out and all, but aren't we thinkin' too much u' ourselves? Worlds a big place!"

As the words left his mouth, he realized again with stunning clarity **I'm stupid**

Watching James's reaction, the preturnaturally intelligent nova could almost see the thoughts play across his face like a teleprompter.

"You don't like my metaphors James. I apologize if they sounded callous. I use such terms only to illustrate the challenge we face in communicationg, not only with baselines, but with our Terat family. Once...IF...we can find a coherent position, we will need to articulate it in ways the others can understand."

"So let's review the facts. Within a year of our eruption on the world stage, the UN has us declared human and with human rights. Yet the actions they have taken are in direct conflict. How would the UN react if they discovered Cuba, for instance, participating in a wholesale campaign of sterilization? Or if a government worked its people so hard, that they injured themselves, and then shipped the injured off to concentration camps?"

"Unfortunately an eye for an eye is only going to get us all killed. We are going to have to be the adults in the relationship and make some mature decisions. Assuming right now that a peaceful coexistance is possible...how do we get there?"

"Is this 'eh, group gonna take over de world er somethin? I'm fer helping out and all, but aren't we thinkin' too much u' ourselves? Worlds a big place!"

"Thank you Roach..That is the most intelligent thing I've heard so far..."

"Jack is most correct in one thing." He pauses, making sure he has everyones attention. "We need to find our unity. We can talk about our ideas for creating a country, but perhaps it will be best if each of shares our ideal outcome. If we can find the commonalities in our diverse visions of the future, we can weave them together into a coherent form, one that we can actually plot a path to..."
Bob speaks up,

"Hey, I'm a flexible guy, there are lots of systems I could live with; Cult Leaders, God Kings, Movers and Shapers of Society, The Very Upper Class, One Man Nations, Sheep Herders, lots of room for where to go, and there doesn't have to be one answer either."

"It's easier to say what I oppose. The first big thing is the enslavement of novas. That includes Baselines using laws to enslave us. Mandatory public service, that sort of thing. Governments get their power from guns and the consent of the governed. Without our consent they just have guns and that will lead quickly to open warfare."

"The next thing I'm against is separation. I see three problems. First I don't feel like sweeping sewers and I'll bet the Mega-Brains don't want to waste time making all that electronic stuff we import from China. Second lots of their children are going to grow up to be us; we can't abandon them. And finally the path of the Monster implies victims. We wolves need our sheep.”

Bob nods and says,

"Well put."

Bob speaks up,

"Hey, I'm a flexible guy, there are lots of systems I could live with; Cult Leaders, God Kings, Movers and Shapers of Society, The Very Upper Class, One Man Nations, Sheep Herders, lots of room for where to go, and there doesn't have to be one answer either."

"The next thing I'm against is separation. I see three problems. First I don't feel like sweeping sewers and I'll bet the Mega-Brains don't want to waste time making all that electronic stuff we import from China. Second lots of their children are going to grow up to be us; we can't abandon them. And finally the path of the Monster implies victims. We wolves need our sheep.”

Leiko nods along with Envy and Bob. "Somehow, we need to place ourselves in control of at least some part of human society. We want more baselines to become novas who are not mindless killers, who are not so easily enslaved by the pretty words of Project Utopia. As to how we do this, well ... I admit to being partial to taking over a country rather than religion, but for all the superiority of the nova race, I do not think we deserve worship. Separating ourselves will merely lead to the sort of divisions that we already see between our factions, but on a larger scale."

And finally the path of the Monster implies victims. We wolves need our sheep.”

Envy frowns.

"And therein lies the rub...It's the monsters in us that terrifies them so...drives them to wage a shadow war against us. If we push them far enough it will lead to open war. Teras has given us a way to channel what we already are, but I fear that it drives the wedge most deeply. Perhaps in a different age, before mankind learned to harness such technology...we would have been their outright masters. But not now. In all of humanities myths, they rise up and destroy them....Saint George and the Dragon, Dracula...even the New Prometheus...What makes you think they will feel any different about us?"

"And since you brought it up, it is appropriate to ask: What thought have you given thought to your self-expression Bob? How will you channel your monsterosity in a way that keeps us together?"

"You don't like my metaphors James. I apologize if they sounded callous. I use such terms only to illustrate the challenge we face in communicationg, not only with baselines, but with our Terat family. Once...IF...we can find a coherent position, we will need to articulate it in ways the others can understand."
"Hey it's cool Envy, sorry if I'm giving you the wrong impression. I'm here because I want to be here! I'm genuinely excited about all of this! I may not like or agree with everything everybody says here, but I do agree with the core of what you've talked with me about in the past, and I assume everyone else is here for the same reasons. So please, carry on."
"Somehow, we need to place ourselves in control of at least some part of human society. We want more baselines to become novas who are not mindless killers, who are not so easily enslaved by the pretty words of Project Utopia. As to how we do this, well ... I admit to being partial to taking over a country rather than religion, but for all the superiority of the nova race, I do not think we deserve worship. Separating ourselves will merely lead to the sort of divisions that we already see between our factions, but on a larger scale."
James listened to the conversation liking the direction it was taking more now that talk was taking a more concrete form, as Leiko finished he spoke up, "You know as far as this business of taking over a country or what have you, I'd like to add something to the conversation. First off I personally agree with the idea of gaining some form of leverage or negotiating power for use with and against the humans, or baselines. But taking over a country isn't the only way of doing that, and I'm not entirely sure it's the smartest or quickest way to do that. Some of you might have a clearer understanding of what I'm about to suggest than I do, and if so please speak up and correct me if necessary. During my time working for Orzaiz I've really come to appreciate the power of the world's big businesses and I'm starting to think it's them, and not the various countries of the world or even the UN, that actually wield all the real power and make all the real decisions. I'd like to suggest something similar to what Jack was saying earlier when he talked about using the humans tools as our own; I'd like to suggest that if we can make inroads into the planet's corporate structure we could become the policy makers, and most of the world wouldn't even realize what was happening, and those that did would realize it too late. We might even want to try and speak with the Mathematician about this. Of course I'm not saying that this is all we should do, or even that it's the right thing to do. It's just one thing we could do to gain real, policy-making power that can't be ignored. And between the lot of us, we should be able to come up with a concrete strategy for doing it and making it work."

Envy waits for a pause before responding.

"You both make excellent points, James, Leiko. When I talk of creating our own country, or even a Lunar base, I don't mean to say we should abandon the world. If I felt that way I'd be in Antarctica right now. I do think it is a good idea for us to have some kind of retreat however...a place where our children can grow up without having to be cloistered in hiding. A place where we can explore our emergent culture. Id like to point out the ease with which our gifts were able to terrafrom Ethiopia. However, many of the terraformers succumbed to Taint due to Utopia's impatience. Had those novas had access to Teras they could have used that Taint to evolve."

"As for the political maneuverings that have been suggested, I completely agree. In many ways this is already happening. Some of you may be aware that before my death and subsequent rebirth, I was an experienced field agent for the Directive." he says, with a pointed look at Bob. "What some of you may not know is that the Directive was formed initially in response to growing concerns over novas like Sierka, who has staged a complete and bloodless economic coup in Russia. Narcosis also has taken this tack; subverting baseline's culture to worship us. Unfortunately she has done so by pandering to their worst natures of apathy and hedonism. We need to inspire baselines with more than just parties and consumer goods."

He pauses to let that sink in for a moment before continuing.

"Which brings me to my point, and the vision that compelled me to invite you all here. Jack and James are absolutely correct. Even as we create our own, superior systems, we must work to trasform the old paradigm from within. Some of you may be well suited to pull such strings behind the scenes and I encourage you to do so. Now, I would also like to invite some or all of you to join me in stepping onto the world stage...as anti-terroist Terats...

"Now..before some of you start piping in with "Team-Tommorow this and that," allow me to explain."

"Jack mentions utilising their tools and Utopia has no greater tool than its manipulation of public perceptions. As they are the principle active opposing force we need to undermine the public's confidence in them. I propose that we stop waiting for the Pantheon and form an active, albeit secret alliance with the Aberrants, who still have well-placed moles inside of the Project. We give the Utopian's enugh rope to hang themselves on, reveal their corruption,while simultaenously arriving conveniently in time to provide "the solution." This is what Utopia has done and we will need to beat them at their own game...even as we rewrite the rules." With this last sentance he directs a look of approval and confidence towards Leiko.

"Jack mentions utilising their tools and Utopia has no greater tool than its manipulation of public perceptions. As they are the principle active opposing force we need to undermine the public's confidence in them. I propose that we stop waiting for the Pantheon and form an active, albeit secret alliance with the Aberrants, who still have well-placed moles inside of the Project. We give the Utopian's enugh rope to hang themselves on, reveal their corruption,while simultaenously arriving conveniently in time to provide "the solution." This is what Utopia has done and we will need to beat them at their own game...even as we rewrite the rules."

With this last sentance he directs a look of approval and confidence towards Leiko.
James nods along with Envy, listening with growing enthusiasm and at the end he asks, "What exactly do you propose? Or to put it differently, how do you plan on going about accomplishing this?"

"And since you brought it up, it is appropriate to ask: What thought have you given thought to your self-expression Bob? How will you channel your monsterosity in a way that keeps us together?"
Without a beat, Bob responds,

"By destroying those who need destroying. Note that doesn't need to mean, kill, or even "absorb". The second, or fifth time a big name leader of the Cult of Michael Arch-Angel get caught in bed with a 6 year old, people will start having moral qualms about joining that kind of group. And maybe we don't need to go public with it, blackmale works good too."

Bob shifts into a drop dead attractive 19 year old female wearing "let's have sex" clothes and a simlar expression... but as 'she' talks she gets younger, more tearful, and more innocent looking until she looks like a kindergardener. Then he shifts back to 'Bob' and continues...

"Call us police, or muscle, or soliders, or whatever. Fact is all societies have enforcement arms."

Envy waits for a pause before responding.

"As for the political maneuverings that have been suggested, I completely agree. In many ways this is already happening. Some of you may be aware that before my death and subsequent rebirth, I was an experienced field agent for the Directive." he says, with a pointed look at Bob...."

Bob mutters, "Directive...", then a hair more loudly as realization kicks in, "You were there." ::blink

"How... later."

"Jack mentions utilising their tools and Utopia has no greater tool than its manipulation of public perceptions. As they are the principle active opposing force we need to undermine the public's confidence in them. I propose that we stop waiting for the Pantheon and form an active, albeit secret alliance with the Aberrants, who still have well-placed moles inside of the Project. We give the Utopian's enugh rope to hang themselves on, reveal their corruption,while simultaenously arriving conveniently in time to provide "the solution." This is what Utopia has done and we will need to beat them at their own game...even as we rewrite the rules." With this last sentance he directs a look of approval and confidence towards Leiko.

King Cobra looks displeased with this suggestion. "The Aberrants? Why would they cooperate with us? They need secrecy more than they need the extra manpower, and they don't need the extra motives we'd be bringing into their movement. Besides, the better we look to baseline society at large, the worse we look to the rest of the Teragen. We should keep our priorities in order."

Bob shifts into a drop dead attractive 19 year old female wearing "let's have sex" clothes and a simlar expression... but as 'she' talks she gets younger, more tearful, and more innocent looking until she looks like a kindergardener.

Cobra nods his grinning approval as this transformation occurs.

"And failing that, there's always the 'arrr' method," he forms shadowy claws from nothingness and swipes at the air almost playfully, "of destruction."

King Cobra looks displeased with this suggestion. "The Aberrants? Why would they cooperate with us? They need secrecy more than they need the extra manpower, and they don't need the extra motives we'd be bringing into their movement. Besides, the better we look to baseline society at large, the worse we look to the rest of the Teragen. We should keep our priorities in order."

Cobra nods his grinning approval as this transformation occurs.

"And failing that, there's always the 'arrr' method," he forms shadowy claws from nothingness and swipes at the air almost playfully, "of destruction."

After following along with growing interest, James was somewhat caught off guard by King Cobra's remarks. He listened carefully to everything the masked nova said before asking his questions. "Why exactly do you think an alliance with the Aberrants wouldn't work? And also, why are we worried about how the rest of the Teragen views us? I was under the impression they already thought of all of this as a joke. Anyway, I'm not so much trying to argue with you, as much as I'm trying to say that if we're doing what's necassary then I for one don't really care if they like us or not. Of course, I'd say the same thing about the humans as well, so I guess that goes both way."

King Cobra looks displeased with this suggestion. "Besides, the better we look to baseline society at large, the worse we look to the rest of the Teragen. We should keep our priorities in order."
Leiko frowns and leans forward in her chair, pushing her glasses up out of habit. "I'm not worried if the psychopaths in the Primacy or the bitter Harvesters think we're a joke. All of us, like it or not, used to be baselines. Utopia has managed to sterlize enough novas that we might not make it unless we get some new blood. And we can't do that unless we do a better job of making the zips see us as not-so-bad-guys."

She catches the byplay between Envy and Bob, and raises an eyebrow, but lets it slide for the moment. "Blackmail is an option, but when it comes to that Church, well, I think it's one of the few areas where I find myself in complete agreement with Geryon." She pauses, on the brink of saying more, and frowns. "I swear, I just had a bottle of water not ten minutes ago. Jack, would you be a dear and get me a new one?" she asks the metallic nova next to her.

Leiko frowns and leans forward in her chair, pushing her glasses up out of habit. "I'm not worried if the psychopaths in the Primacy or the bitter Harvesters think we're a joke. All of us, like it or not, used to be baselines. Utopia has managed to sterlize enough novas that we might not make it unless we get some new blood. And we can't do that unless we do a better job of making the zips see us as not-so-bad-guys."

"Yeah!", said James nodding his head and looking with unmasked approval at the nova seated next to him he said, "that's exactly what I mean. Leiko, I don't think I could have said that better if I'd had all night to do it!"

James nods along with Envy, listening with growing enthusiasm and at the end he asks, "What exactly do you propose? Or to put it differently, how do you plan on going about accomplishing this?"

Envy stands and paces around the table. "Heres a hypothetical. Our Aberrant allies feed us intelligence that the shadow faction within Utopia is planning a strike against one of our Enclaves. Unfortunately for Utopia, those same allies have given them faulty intelligence and it turns out their "Teragen stronghold" is actually some innocuos baseline locale. ...It's a good thing we were there to prevent a massacre...especially if they decide to use Team Tommorow and make a spectacle of it..." Halfway around the table, Envy kicks the leg of Roach's chair. "Pay attention Roach... When the dust clears we are the heroes, and unlike our Utopian do-gooders we can proudly say, "We're Terats merely acting in our good conscience to protect our latent siblings. No need to thank us, nor to pay us unflated inflated salaries. Thank you. Goodnight." In a single action, we simultaneously fight them in the shadow war and the media game, and the best part is...we were proactive about it..."

After Bob's little display, Envy replies,

"Most impressive Mr. Goreman. And an effective tactic...so long as you don't mind getting into bed with senators and cult-leaders..." ::huh

"Since when did you become concerned with other's opinions of you, my friend? The Aberrants need secrecy but crave proactivity. Many have already engaged in acts of sabotage, for the most part avoiding The Primacy's bodycount. They have a problem with Utopia? So do we... And just working together will show them our light. Have you forgotton the coup we claimed when Sluice brought us Lleland Cornwall?"

"Since when did you become concerned with other's opinions of you, my friend?

"Envy, of course we care what people think of us. We're trying to change the world, remember?" argues King Cobra. "Just because we're pro-baseline compared to Shrapnel doesn't mean the mainstream public - including John Q. Nova - is suddenly going to warm to us. I'd rather try to change the Teragen from within, and lead the rest of the world by example."

The Aberrants need secrecy but crave proactivity. Many have already engaged in acts of sabotage, for the most part avoiding The Primacy's bodycount. They have a problem with Utopia? So do we...

"Different problems with Utopia. They don't want to destroy it; they want to ameliorate it - that's the only reason they're having trouble taking action. They have all the firepower they need."

"'Our Aberrant allies'," snorts Cobra derisively. "Well... I guess we could at least ask."

Jack listens to them all go back and forth. For the most part he is silent, but he does nod at times. Not nessessarily out of agreement, but to show he is listening.

Jack, would you be a dear and get me a new one?

He nods at Lieko and walks over to the bar, looking for a good piece of liquid refreshment for the woman. He quickly makes it back to his place at the table, and hands the bottle to her.

At the mention of One-uping utopia he percs up. The idea interested him.

*I like that idea. Especially since I would be able to one up all of my old 'friends'. All we need to do is replace Utopia with an orginisation that is Teras-friendly. The problem is that it would be difficult to find a purpose and a method that would be able to fit that purpose. Many think that one of us cant be a Terat if they *choose* to help baselines for whatever reason. Even if it would help to gain new generations of Terats if the baselines erupt.* he transmits to Jill to relay to everyone.

After Bob's little display, Envy replies,

"Most impressive Mr. Goreman. And an effective tactic...so long as you don't mind getting into bed with senators and cult-leaders..." ::huh

Bob just smiles... ::devil

"Envy, of course we care what people think of us. We're trying to change the world, remember?" argues King Cobra. "Just because we're pro-baseline compared to Shrapnel doesn't mean the mainstream public - including John Q. Nova - is suddenly going to warm to us. I'd rather try to change the Teragen from within, and lead the rest of the world by example."

Bob comments,

"It's by example that we might change the rest of the Teragen. If we can get this to work, it will attract others."

*I like that idea. Especially since I would be able to one up all of my old 'friends'. All we need to do is replace Utopia with an orginisation that is Teras-friendly. The problem is that it would be difficult to find a purpose and a method that would be able to fit that purpose. Many think that one of us cant be a Terat if they *choose* to help baselines for whatever reason. Even if it would help to gain new generations of Terats if the baselines erupt.* he transmits to Jill to relay to everyone.
Bob comments,

"A lot of Utopia doesn't need to be recreated. They try to be all things to all peoples. We can't and shouldn't try. What we could do however is... say... set up a "Teragen Healing Clinic: Baselines pay for Terats to practice their powers." We could even make a point of publically rejecting anti-nova baselines on occassion."

Envy chimes in,

"I'm not so sure Bob, but your optimism is appealing. I know only that I will do what I must to protect our future. I do think we have a good chance of turning public opinion to our favor if we play our cards correctly but Im not going to let it control me either."

"The fouders of Project Utopia spent too much time listening to their marketing reps and not enough studying history. Utopia literally means No Place, and I see no need to perpetuate their sacharinne form of global fascism..."

"Now as for changing the Teragen from within...the idea has equal merit. Indulge us K.C.. What was it that you had in mind?"

King Cobra shrugs.

"The Teragen, as it is now, is basically a joke. We're too occupied with in-fighting, and... well, self-righteous zealotry.. no offense, ma'am." He makes an apologetic, but frank, nod to Flare.

"All I'm saying is this. No matter what we decide to do, if we conduct ourselves with maturity, openness and integrity, we'll quickly attract attention, because we'll be the only nova-run organization in the world to do so." He smiles a little. "Well, except the Queer Nova Alliance. They do pretty well for themselves."

"Different problems with Utopia. They don't want to destroy it; they want to ameliorate it - that's the only reason they're having trouble taking action. They have all the firepower they need."

"'Our Aberrant allies'," snorts Cobra derisively. "Well... I guess we could at least ask."

Leiko smiles a little predatorily. "If we can convince them that our actions will help them purge Utopia of this shadow element they believe in, then they will be useful to us. Also, should anything go wrong, they - as Utopians - will make quite excellent fall guys."
At the mention of One-uping utopia he percs up. The idea interested him.

"I'm not sure if we really want to become 'the other Utopia' despite the PR that would get us. But we do need to do something to make the Teragen more appealing to baselines."
King Cobra shrugs.

"The Teragen, as it is now, is basically a joke. We're too occupied with in-fighting, and... well, self-righteous zealotry.. no offense, ma'am." He makes an apologetic, but frank, nod to Flare.

"All I'm saying is this. No matter what we decide to do, if we conduct ourselves with maturity, openness and integrity, we'll quickly attract attention, because we'll be the only nova-run organization in the world to do so." He smiles a little. "Well, except the Queer Nova Alliance. They do pretty well for themselves."

"Now that I can agree with. Except maybe the part about the QNA. I've heard about some of their parties, and, well, 'integrity' and 'maturity' aren't exactly the words that spring to mind." She shrugs. "But we do need to establish ourselves quickly as non-sociopathic Teragen members who also aren't into parties and shopping as nova-worship."

Leiko smiles a little predatorily. "If we can convince them that our actions will help them purge Utopia of this shadow element they believe in, then they will be useful to us. Also, should anything go wrong, they - as Utopians - will make quite excellent fall guys."
James seemed a little shocked at this, and said with raised eyebrows, "isn't that a little...underhanded?"
"I'm not sure if we really want to become 'the other Utopia' despite the PR that would get us. But we do need to do something to make the Teragen more appealing to baselines."
James perked up at this remark and said, almost on top of Leiko's last word, "well, regarding that, I know me and Envy have talked about it once or twice, and one of the things that's already earned us such a negative fan base amongst the other Terats is our appreciation for humans. But that appreciation comes in large part from the fact that we know many humans will one day erupt into novas, making them almost like un-born siblings. I know I for one would love to find a way to search out these "pre-novas" and give them the opportunity to learn about novas and what it's like to have nova powers - and use them responsibly - first hand. Also, we all know the value of finding newly erupted novas and bringing them into the Teragen as quickly as possible. What we haven't considered, at least not on the level or to the degree that Utopia has, is how important it is to provide adequate training to these young novas. What I'm getting at is this: what if we set up a sort of semi-official "training facility" or facilities, similar to Rashoud Facilities, but without all of the Utopia bullsh*t. We could make it free of charge and we could even make it open to baseline humans wanting to get a feel for what it's like. We'd have to make the application process kind of stringent, to keep out the poseurs and groupies, but it seems to me that would give us a very public face and it would provide an alternative to Utopia's facilities which are trusted less and less as time goes by - and rightfully so. And everyone who walks through those doors would be a potential recruit, every hour spent training an applicant would be an hour that we could use to show them the value of Teras. It's like a PR machine and a recruiting device all in one. It could provide a very handy method of distraction and misdirection. Like how the Blackburn is fairly public, but no one notices that it's actually a key center for Teragen activity."

James seemed a little shocked at this, and said with raised eyebrows, "isn't that a little...underhanded?"
Leiko merely raises an eyebrow, as if to say, "So?"
James perked up at this remark and said, almost on top of Leiko's last word, "well, regarding that, I know me and Envy have talked about it once or twice, and one of the things that's already earned us such a negative fan base amongst the other Terats is our appreciation for humans. But that appreciation comes in large part from the fact that we know many humans will one day erupt into novas, making them almost like un-born siblings. I know I for one would love to find a way to search out these "pre-novas" and give them the opportunity to learn about novas and what it's like to have nova powers - and use them responsibly - first hand. Also, we all know the value of finding newly erupted novas and bringing them into the Teragen as quickly as possible. What we haven't considered, at least not on the level or to the degree that Utopia has, is how important it is to provide adequate training to these young novas. What I'm getting at is this: what if we set up a sort of semi-official "training facility" or facilities, similar to Rashoud Facilities, but without all of the Utopia bullsh*t. We could make it free of charge and we could even make it open to baseline humans wanting to get a feel for what it's like. We'd have to make the application process kind of stringent, to keep out the poseurs and groupies, but it seems to me that would give us a very public face and it would provide an alternative to Utopia's facilities which are trusted less and less as time goes by - and rightfully so. And everyone who walks through those doors would be a potential recruit, every hour spent training an applicant would be an hour that we could use to show them the value of Teras. It's like a PR machine and a recruiting device all in one. It could provide a very handy method of distraction and misdirection. Like how the Blackburn is fairly public, but no one notices that it's actually a key center for Teragen activity."
She nods slowly, turning over the idea. "Utopia has that blood test that they can do for latency. I'm assuming that someone in the Teragen has already cribbed that from them, yes? Something like that - not merely testing, but pre-eruption training for those who prove to have it - that by itself would gain us an instant wealth of new converts." She glances around the room, and then sighs. "It's a pity that none of us have admitted to having nova-level medical powers. If we could create a faster way to test for latency - or perhaps even a way to cause it - we would have something no Utopia facility could ever match."

James sighed ruefully, "I wish! I studied forensic medicine in college, I can spot a nova who's dormed - nothing special there though - and I've got a nova-level I.Q., though there are many who're smarter, but I'm still looking for a way to spot a nova before they actually erupt. If anyone else here does have that sort of ability though, that would be awesome!"

"Yes, it is," says King Cobra, smiling as though that was reassuring to him.

What I'm getting at is this: what if we set up a sort of semi-official "training facility" or facilities, similar to Rashoud Facilities, but without all of the Utopia bullsh*t. We could make it free of charge and we could even make it open to baseline humans wanting to get a feel for what it's like.

In a rather snakelike motion, Cobra rolls his head back and forth as he considers.

"It's a good idea. But maybe we should shelve it for a bit, until we make a name for ourselves. If we opened it on the Teragen name alone - which is what we'd be doing, like it or not - we'd attract all the wrong kind of applicants."

Archived