Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

So what is it that we believe? Baselines need to be kept about to serve novas?

Not exactly. Most novas are pretty capable of serving themselves. Baselines, however, are currently a necessity to the continuation of the One Race, and should be cultivated, even nurtured, as such. Basically the soft-on-baseline faction.

Which raises the question, to what degree are we going to oppose those factions that see baselines as tasty snacks? I think we should be willing to stand up to the Primacy and Harvesters and such when the occasion arises, but not actively fighting them - we are supposed to still be calling ourselves Teragen, after all, and novas, even violent ones, are still our first priority.

Edit: Keep in mind, you don't have to agree with the party line to play with us, you could have ties to the party that come from sources other than ideology. For example, maybe you and SkyLion's character were in the same cell during your Teragen induction, and are close friends despire differing views on baselines. It's all good. We just don't want a heavily divided PC group.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...

Just built a Low level Shapeshifter (mostly just people) who is also a Healer and can kill with a touch.

Which is better for fooling/impersonating people, "Trickster" or "Perfect Guest"?

------------

Our Faction

Sounds like this whole heal and q-vamp thing Ive been batting around.

RE: Our Faction

Well its not like its totally up to me...but the idea I had was to treat baselines like Nova babies...I would actually use the term Seedlings or Stage Zero Novas. Novas who are born of Novas could be considered Second Gen First Stage. Eventually there could be a Blade like internecine war between those who "turned" and "The Purebloods" (to use blade Vampire-speak).

So they have protected status like babies but are still subjected to the a similar level of patronizing."

Not that baselines are gibbering babies...you can still talk with them, be firends with them if you want, but why would you seek out a Genius level human doctor when you could have the expert opinion of A Mega Intelligent/Medical Prodigy (to name but one example)?

In other words we need to look forward and those who are most qualified for something should be consulted. I think the idea I am leaning toward is actually partially inspire by Cyclops (with some twists).

Since I suggested the faction, and everyone likes it, how would you feel about having me as Team Leader and/or its Philosophical Compass? Ive never played that role before so the idea excites me but obviously this is the Teragen so its not as if we arent all our own "States" anyway...

Sounds like this whole heal and q-vamp thing Ive been batting around.
With standard rules, an nasty twist, and roughly drafted yesterday.,,

I like what I'm hearing about us.

Since I suggested the faction, and everyone likes it, how would you feel about having me as Team Leader and/or its Philosophical Compass? Ive never played that role before so the idea excites me but obviously this is the Teragen so its not as if we arent all our own "States" anyway...

Do we have leaders in the Teragen? ::tongue

More seriously, if you think you're up to it, buy 3+ levels of Mega-Chr and you basically own that spot.

I like what I'm hearing about us.

Do we have leaders in the Teragen? ::tongue

More seriously, if you think you're up to it, buy 3+ levels of Mega-Chr and you basically own that spot.

Blue Thunder seemed to think we would have a faction leader...I like the idea of being the philosopher who came up with the notion at least...since I did (or at least was the first to voice it.)

With standard rules, an nasty twist, and roughly drafted yesterday.

Q-Vamp: Agg? linked to healing and Q-leech? Or a no range linked disintegrate? I know you Alex...all you characters have Disintegrate...you like the edge.. At least I know Chronos and Paul Blue do...

I'm in if you'll have me. Another player said something very complimentary to me, and I'm a sucker. ::blush Not sure what I'd play yet, need to review the Teragen book to better understand the background.

I agree with Phoenix and others regarding starting out as Stage One vs Stage Two, by the way. I'd much prefer an opportunity to grow the character(especially power wise). You never know what direction a campaign is going to go...but with immensely powerful PCs, it's much easier for the players to dominate the storyline than it is when playing with weaker PCs. That's my opinion based on personal experience; take it as you will. ::smile

Blue Thunder seemed to think we would have a faction leader...I like the idea of being the philosopher who came up with the notion at least...since I did (or at least was the first to voice it.)
I don’t mind and won’t contest it, having a “Prof X” or even “Magneto” type or whatever is probably a good idea. Having said that, the powers have to match the description. If thou would be-est king, then thou needs to have the mantel of leadership, and that is probably Mega-Chr.

I remember the Toad talking about how Magneto was a bad leader who didn’t like him, didn’t take care of him, and who’d messed up his life every time he’d joined up. Then he went on to say that if Magneto showed up tomorrow looking for recruits he honestly didn’t know if he’d be able to refuse him.

Q-Vamp: Agg? linked to healing and Q-leech? Or a no range linked disintegrate?
No linkages are needed if you realize you have a theme and not a power. Standard Healing, a little bit of shapeshift… right now what I have is a stealth assassin like the T3. The nasty twist is he basically eats people. At the moment I’m looking for flaws that would let me move a point of Quantum into bonus and give him the points for a lot of skills. Maybe Linguistic Genius since that generates the most skills. The idea being that you are what you eat.
I know you Alex...all you characters have Disintegrate...you like the edge.. At least I know Chronos and Paul Blue do...
Actually no. Doc is far too ethical to use, or even have, such a thing… although I did consider taking it when I first made the character. Eventually I decided that just having it was probably asking for trouble, and there was the strong potential that it would end up making short term gains in expense of long term plans.

Similarly, “Alex Green” the character that named this log in, was around for a very long time and never needed it, had the points for it, demonstrated it, or even had a use for it. He was pretty much a one trick pony although he did eventually get some misc Mega-Stats. Aggravated damage is extremely rare, even for PCs. I’ve attempted to make two characters with it, and one of those never made it off the sheet of paper because I couldn’t get the points to balance (Immolate +Agg with tendrils, Invis, & Teleport… the general idea being he could make HTH attacks at a long range).

In sum total I’ve built maybe twice as many characters with Elemental Mastery as I have with Aggravated attacks. Ignoring whether or not they fit the character, the problem with Agg attacks is they’re boring and not that useful.

Lots of stuff to reply to...

I guess the core of my argument is, I'd rather not make it easy on ourselves by giving ourselves the option of a level of IC power advancement that should basically put us on the Pantheon, with tons of experience with Teras and the Teragen as a whole.

There are other Elevated novas that aren't on the Pantheon. Being elevated means you get all kinds of respect (even from people that want you dead) but i doesn't mean you get on the Pantheon. And remember that Orzaiz is First Stage, yet sits on the Pantheon as one of the most influential Terats ever.

Also, Elevated novas aren't as powerful as they seem at first. If we're building 30-40 NP characters with the option of going Second Stage, then the character still won't be as powerful as, say, a 60 NP character. And there are plenty of those throughout the books. The purpose of Chrysalis is to control your evolution and decide your own transformation. It can't make you more powerful (aside from the XP you set aside and spend at a reduced cost).

That said, if you guys don't want Second Stage, neither do I. The idea of starting off as Fist Stagers has it's own benefits.

Which is better for fooling/impersonating people, "Trickster" or "Perfect Guest"?

I would say Copycat for Mega-Cha. Trickster would help for lying while transfomed, supposed, and Perfect Guest could make it seem like you've been working at the same guard station for years...

Perhaps. It's up to the player in question. This faction believes that baselines shouldn't be getting killed left and right since each baseline is a potential nova. How they interpret tha is their own choice. One player may feel that all baselines should be protected from novas, since even non-latent baselines can give birth to possible novas. One player may feel that baselines should be made to fear/worship/respect the Teragen so when one erupts he knows where to go. One player may be a killer/hunter, who only kills baselines he considers "useless" so that only the worthy ones become novas. One player may see baselines as just another commodity or resource that can be used, and wants to keep his resources safe. One nature-obsessed player may feel that it is his duty to help all creatures on Earth...including humans (but that he's still above them). And one player may even agree with Utopia that novas should be helping baselines and solving the problems of the world...he just agrees with the Teragan that novas arent the same as baselines and that he doesn't live by the same laws.

Etc., etc., etc...

how would you feel about having me as Team Leader and/or its Philosophical Compass?

Fine with me. You could be the one (or one of the ones) that first got the ball rolling on the faction. Likewise, if you guys wanted, I coud have an NPC be the leader. If you guys don't like him you can just depose him later ^^ But if no one objects SkyLion, it's all yours. I rather like the "Philosophical Compass" concept. Makes me think of Scripture or The Mathematician.

Note: You don't need Mega-Charisma to be a leader, though it would probably help. I can't see Shrapnel or The Confederate as having any Mega-Charisma at all yet they manage to run The Primacy just fine. That said, a few dots wouldn't hurt...^^

Remember, since this faction is new, you guys may have belonged to other factions before hand like the Casablancas or Pandamonion. Or maybe another non-Teragen group like the Aberrants or Directive. Or you may have been an independant up until now.

Also start thinking about which Archetype you want to be. All three (yes, even Monster) can have a place in this faction. Also start thinking about how your character interprets the faction's philosophy. You don't need to make stats just yet, but a few story details now will help later when you make the stats.

Also, I'm allowing stuff from Brainwaves and Forceful Personalities when it comes to Mega-Attribute enhancements. The New Flesh and A Breed Apart aren't released yet, but if you're working on either and want to use something from them, run it by me (and, obviously, the others working on those e-books). If you want to use something from the Aberrant Compendium, you'll need to run it by me first because some of the stuff from it seems unbalanced or off (to me) for whatever reason. If you want to use some bizarre power combination (as in a strange use of Extras or Attunement or weaknesses or strengths) then propose it here first, for all to see, because I may not catch a problem at first glance, and there are many here that are better at interpretting rules on a small scale than I am.

Merits and Flaws from the APG are fine too; I usually ignore the "7 point max in Flaws" rule, because I usually know twinking when I see it, and I trust my players. Aberrations can be bought as Flaws, but only if you have the Taint minimum (so no high-level aberrations as Flaws unless you have high-level Taint). The exceptions are low-level aberrations, which I'll allow as Flaws even if you have 0-3 Taint. Sometimes, you just want blue skin...

There won't be any Backing (Teragen) Background. The main sourcebook says as much in the Allegiances section, but then I sometimes see Terat characters with Backing in some books, and some without it in others. Since the Teragen is a movement, Backing won't exist. Instead, take Influence. That's if you even need it. Most starting Terats don't.

The usual max of 5 starting Quantum stands. Taint probably shouldn't go beyond 8, because your character is only a step or two from becoming an NPC. And if you have a Taint as high as 8, you better have a damn good character concept and a good reason for me to allow it, too. Maybe you've joined the Teragen to help with your high Taint...

You character needs to speak English, for the sake of simplicity. But remember that Aberrant is a global game. I know every player here is likely from an English speaking nation, but most novas aren't. While your character needs to speak English, he can still take it as an extra language via Linguistics. Your character can be from anywhere on the globe.

As for power set-ups...

Your characters don't need to be tanked with as much soak as possible or with the best damaging power they can find. I don't see all situations being handled through Quantum Bolts. Don't forget Mega-Attributes and the more subtle powers. I'm not saying that a character with 30 Lethal soak is a bad choice, since that character definately has something going for them (and fills a good niche for sure), but the characters are also likely to be involved in social situations, and/or stealth situations, and/or thinking situations as well. But don't feel discouraged from making that tank or powerhouse you wanted to make...every faction needs enforcers (or in somecases, protectors). Likewise, if you plan on making a Mega-Mental or Mega-Social focused character, invest in something to ensure your survival should a fight break out, whether it be defensive or offensive.

And remember that your character isn't defined just by the powers and stats s/he has. How your character acts is even more important.

Some extra points:

Adversarial Backgrounds (from Forceful Personalities) are alright, just don't overdo them.

I think I'm going to disallow Pretercognition. Hopefully no one objects :|

If you plan on taking the Weave Ability, realize that it is an extremely rare Ability known to only a few people, and that it is the equivalent of having a horde of minor powers.

If you have Resouces 5, you'll need a good reason, and remember that you'll also be busy keeping that cash coming in (or busy not losing any of it), whether as the boss of a company or whatever else. I'm not really one that likes to keep track of every dollar (that's why I like Resources as a Background) so spending money wont be much of an issue, but rather a...well...background part of the roleplaying.

Optional Rule: No Dot Specialties (page 90, APG) are fine.

Optional Rule: Extra Successes (pages 99-100, APG) are fine, as well as the extra Maxing Out options on page 100.

The new power options (pages 109-199, APG) are fine.

Any other questions relating to rules, house rules, or gameplay? Want to propose any house rules?

Fine with me. You could be the one (or one of the ones) that first got the ball rolling on the faction. Likewise, if you guys wanted, I coud have an NPC be the leader. If you guys don't like him you can just depose him later ^^ But if no one objects SkyLion, it's all yours. I rather like the "Philosophical Compass" concept. Makes me think of Scripture or The Mathematician.
Might I suggest that we have a second-stage NPC as our official faction leader? Nothing against Sky, I just think that to succeed as a faction, we either need a leader who's been through Chrysalis (to teach the rest of us), or another very secure line of power (ie, Divis' clear favor of Orzaiz).
There won't be any Backing (Teragen) Background. The main sourcebook says as much in the Allegiances section, but then I sometimes see Terat characters with Backing in some books, and some without it in others. Since the Teragen is a movement, Backing won't exist. Instead, take Influence. That's if you even need it. Most starting Terats don't.
I thought, according to the book, you either had to have Backing, Mentor, Ally, or Influence, applied to Teragen members. (Yes, I know, technically 'Backing' isn't the case for the Teragen as a whole, but some factions it would be.)

I think I'm going to disallow Pretercognition. Hopefully no one objects :|
I object! ::biggrin
If you plan on taking the Weave Ability, realize that it is an extremely rare Ability known to only a few people, and that it is the equivalent of having a horde of minor powers.
I thought it was rare in 2008; if this is after 2015 then shouldn't it be a little more common? Also, I thought Weave only allowed you to add to certain dice pools, and duplicate a very small number of (external) body modifications.
Optional Rule: No Dot Specialties (page 90, APG) are fine.
Can we use this for the English requirement?

Oh, I would also like to propose the House Rule on ping damage that I have as it's own thread in the Trans-D forum.

Im going to call the metal man consept. I was using it in a game on another site (Baalt) fir a little bit (when I had more time) but I never really got full use out of it.

A PM to ya with a few questions BT.

you mean Collusus style? If so then we have our brick... ::brick Not that we couldn't use two: ::brick ::brick

::happy

I object!

Well, I guess I could allow it...depending on how the character works. I just don't want a power named "Reveal Future Plot" or anything.

I thought it was rare in 2008; if this is after 2015 then shouldn't it be a little more common? Also, I thought Weave only allowed you to add to certain dice pools, and duplicate a very small number of (external) body modifications.

Weave was introduced in the APG, which was 2015, and it said it was rare then. As for it's capabilities, it lets you use camaflague, form tendrils, grab stuff, and a few other things. You guys are free to have it, but remember it's basically the equivalent of having a Eufiber manipulating power.

Can we use this for the English requirement?

I'll have to say no to this one. The whole point of Linguistics is that each dot adds a language (you'll rarely have to roll it, if ever).

Oh, I would also like to propose the House Rule on ping damage that I have as it's own thread in the Trans-D forum.

I just looked over the ping damage house rule, and it sounds good to me. Really good, actually. Better than getting pinged to death by a hail of gunfire when you have enough soak to resist bullets.

Might I suggest that we have a second-stage NPC as our official faction leader? Nothing against Sky, I just think that to succeed as a faction, we either need a leader who's been through Chrysalis (to teach the rest of us), or another very secure line of power (ie, Divis' clear favor of Orzaiz).

As for SkyLion's character being elevated, I'll leave that up to you guys to discuss. I'm fine either way. I have a feeling that the concensus is all First Stagers though.

I thought, according to the book, you either had to have Backing, Mentor, Ally, or Influence, applied to Teragen members. (Yes, I know, technically 'Backing' isn't the case for the Teragen as a whole, but some factions it would be.)

I remember reading in the main book's Allegiances section that Backing was useless in the Teragen since it was a movement, not an organization. But then for the "Playing Elevated Novas" option in the Teragen book it proposes a starting elevated nova has Backing 5 with the Teragen. Of the three sample characters in the back of the Teragen book, only one of them has Backing, even though the other two are Terats. I'm confused on this point.

As for SkyLion's character being elevated, I'll leave that up to you guys to discuss. I'm fine either way. I have a feeling that the concensus is all First Stagers though.

When the idea was first proposed I actually really like it. Like I said, I dont even know which of my concepts I really want to play yet. I would like the option and would happily extend it to others as well. That being said Im not wholy attached to the idea, but starting with that kind of respect would give my philosophy some more credence. IN other words I would enjoy it.

So what does the group say? Would anyone else join me on The Second Stage?

On a separate note, I have one idea for a character that keeps ringing in my head. Some of you might remember an old character of mine, Jimmy Sinclair(Badger Boy!). His whole 'creature of nature' schtick seems really well suited for this campaign, either as a Monster archetype or Marvel. I'm leaning towards Monster, but Marvel seems to fit too.

If any of you remember Jimmy, imagine him not quite as fuzzy and nice anymore. ::devil

Well, I guess I could allow it...depending on how the character works. I just don't want a power named "Reveal Future Plot" or anything.
Aw, shucks. ::happy I'm mostly kidding about the Pretercognition, I just like being a smartass.
I remember reading in the main book's Allegiances section that Backing was useless in the Teragen since it was a movement, not an organization. But then for the "Playing Elevated Novas" option in the Teragen book it proposes a starting elevated nova has Backing 5 with the Teragen. Of the three sample characters in the back of the Teragen book, only one of them has Backing, even though the other two are Terats. I'm confused on this point.
For some factions, such as the Casablancans or Companions, who are loosely organized, Backing makes no sense. For a faction like the Primacy or the Church of Mal, which has a much more firm structure and hierarchy among its members, it does make sense. It can also help simulate how many people will agree to help your character, whether to gain/repay favors, or out of ideological agreement.

I'd like to call dibs on the name John. ::tongue

More seriously, I think I'd like to play someone who was fighting crime in a mask, Watchmen-style, before eruption, and has since been "evolving", literally and figuratively, from the perspective of a straight-up powered crime fighter.

In terms of powers, I'm thinking of using heavy megadex and maybe claws and a bodymorph shadow.

Jimmy is a good candidate for a character with more than a few physical aberrations; 2nd stage might be appropriate for him. I can't imagine him being any sort of real group leader, but he would definitely be a potent asset to the faction.

Y'know, the more I think about it, the more he may end up as a Marvel archetype, but I'm still undecided.

Jimmy is a good candidate for a character with more than a few physical aberrations; 2nd stage might be appropriate for him. I can't imagine him being any sort of real group leader, but he would definitely be a potent asset to the faction.

So thats one other second stager...anyone else want a piece?

::laugh You guys are absurd. I will have no part of this J-ollapallooza.

Yeah whatever....Joshua!

::tongue

Let me put this question to the other players and the Storyteller: do you think there's room for a character who does not reveal his secret identity, even to other Terats?

Also! Does our faction need a name? Or should we deliberately not have one, just to underline the informality of the group?

Let me put this question to the other players and the Storyteller: do you think there's room for a character who does not reveal his secret identity, even to other Terats?
I hope you have a Cipher 5 to back that up, because Synapse (at the least!) is an intrusice bastard.
Also! Does our faction need a name? Or should we deliberately not have one, just to underline the informality of the group?
If we are going to be an actual faction, then I believe we should have a name. But I can't really think of any good names. Best I'm coming up with at the moment is the Oligarchy.

Ok, since the vote is almost unanimous for 35NP + 60XP, I have written up Satoshi - better known as the Summoner. He believes that baseline society needs to be controlled by novas, so that they do not destroy themselves before all of the potential novas out there can erupt. He hasn't been with the Teragen very long.

Some points for the rules lawyers:

Q-Construct mentions a cumulative penalty for using it repeatedly during one scene. I'd prefer for him to take automatic non-healable Bashing damage, rather than a +1 difficulty, for repeated uses. (ie, the second time he uses it, he takes one Bashing. The third time he takes two more Bashing. etc.)

His Q-Constructs are on a list; basically for any die roll he has one or two options of what gets summoned. The list is uploaded for everyone's amusement.

His two dots of Resources is coming from royalties on a manga series (one dot) and sales of his artwork (second dot).

His Anima Banner appears whenever he has a power on Maintenance; basically he is surrounded by a circle of blue wavering light that rises about knee-high from the ground. Hisi Disturbing Voice is that his voice sounds like it's being reproduced through computer speakers.

The character sheet is a Microsoft Excel sheet, zipped so that the forum will let me upload it.

Well, here he is. BTW I took the flaw (approval pending) “Minority: Cannibal”.

Name: Robert Gore aka “The Colony”.

Sex: Male

Appearance: In his default form, Rob is a fit, extremely handsome man in his late 20’s. The color of his hair is either dark brown or light black. He has brown eyes. His race isn’t exactly clear, very dark white, very light black, maybe Arabic or Italian? Mostly people see him as the same race they are.

Powers and Background: Robert is a flesh molder. This makes him a Shapeshifter… and with a touch he can literally absorb another person into himself, leaving only their clothes and such. So far one on has ever come back from this so it's apparently a lethal effect. Although Robert doesn’t gain the specific memories of someone he absorbs, he does gain a general sense of their identity, and sometimes gains a limited access to their skills. Language skills appear to be easiest as those are closely linked to identity. How much of his quantum development is from absorption and how much of it is “natural” is unclear, even to Robert. His various powers might all be related to flesh molding... or they might be like his skills, i.e. stolen. Robert can use flesh molding (i.e. Healing) on other people without killing them. With all the people he’s absorbed comes the ability to just *fit* into any group and speak pretty near any language.

Robert used to be elite... he’s not well known but his missions were apparently quite off the open camera and off the books. He also has “spy” type skills and is familiar with Directive methods and operations.

A relatively recent recruit to the Teragen, Robert joined because he was afraid his powers would eventually drive him mad. After reaching that conclusion he decided to study with the only group that appears to have a clue about what’s going on with him, the Teragen (also they’re really the only group that would take him). The idea that Novas aren’t human is obvious to him, but the idea that they should separate is absurd.

Ok, since the vote is almost unanimous for 35NP + 60XP...
At least three people, including the ST, said 40+60.

Archived