Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty, a good point has come up:

If someone wants to know information privately, how should it be handled in the thread?

Like if someone makes an Intelligence or Wits roll to get an idea (with a Mega-Int or Mega-Wit character), I'm inclined to PM them instead of announcing it all in the thread. But if someone makes a simple observation, like with Awareness or Rapport, I see no reason to send that in a PM. What if, like SkyLion, someone is making an Intelligence check to try to remember something? Should I PM that as well? What do you feel is best?

Also, another thing has come up:

Dice results. Would you prefer to see your successes for every roll, in addition to the narrarative descriptions I provide? Or would you rather mostly see your combat dice totals and leave the rest to description?

Like if someone makes an Intelligence or Wits roll to get an idea (with a Mega-Int or Mega-Wit character), I'm inclined to PM them instead of announcing it all in the thread.

Sounds about right… although this is probably only a hard and fast rule when they PM you.

But if someone makes a simple observation, like with Awareness or Rapport, I see no reason to send that in a PM.

Ditto. Sounds good.

What if, like [bob]... is making an Intelligence check to try to remember something? Should I PM that as well? What do you feel is best?

If I’d cared which it was, then I would have PM’ed you. As the attempt was posted in public the result can be as well.

The only possible reason here that I might have wanted a PM would be if Bob killing Horton was a big secret from the other players.

The two big things to keep in mind are secrets (i.e. if the player is deliberately trying to keep something secret) and parrots.

I suppose i could have asked via PM, but I was a bit tired and trying to catch up. Mainly I wanted to know, since Envy is supposed to have nigh encyclopedic knowledge of just about every Nova (even non-public ones since the Directive has ways). I wanted to know so I could have Envy respond appropriately to Turncoat. PM me if you like and I will make future requests via PM. In this case though, it doesn't really matter.

Also regarding whether to post die rolls. I like the way BN does it...usually he just tells you successes but sometimes if the dice come out in a funny/cool/terrible way he will post them all for fun. You may also consider giving OMFG xp for extraordinary (good AND bad) results come up.

'Bob' shifts into a much older but still spry woman, perhaps 80. Then his clothes shift into those of a nun.

Alex, you are so Kinky! ::tongue

For a while (after I lost all of my d10s) I used the d10 dice rollers on White Wolf's website. On the left column of www.white-wolf.com there's a link to "Dice Rollers." You have to have a forum name/password to use the die roller, but it also logs the results for about 24 hours.

As for the weekend, I'm glad - I'm at a convention, having a blast, so internet checking is down a bit on my list of priorities. And trust me, a 3 hour open improv panel is fun!

Kyle nods and allows Leiko to go first, though he follows quick behind to examine the room once they were inside, though of course remains silent for the moment.
Just to note, Leiko has not actually gone inside the room. She doesn't want Erik to feel that she is invading his 'home' (since he might not view it as a cell). I figured any lightswitches would be in the usual place - right inside the door at between waist and shoulder height. If not, she could use Cyberkinesis to flip the light on anyway, though I would have to beg BT to not count this against me in terms of QP since it's piddly.

Yeah I know, sorry, I've been getting delayed. Every time I get on EON I stop by all the other forums first so I can focus on this at the end, but then stuff came up this week and I had to get off-line so often, so now I'm hopping by here first before going off to the other forums. I'll be making big updates tonight though, since I have the whole night free. Hoorah!

Oh god, my eyes feel ready to bleed; I need to sleep, like now. I won't be updating Blood for the One Race until tomorrow then. Good thing I finally made battle stats for damn Makara. You'd think they would have some kind of T2M roster list in the Utopia book with faces and powers listed by names, but noooo we have to guess who has what powers, and I still have no f*cking idea who that fiery guy with the metal mask is, but he's in 786598 different f*cking pictures and on the back of the main back, but still no name, and they mention Spinner and Pele and Sneak but I have no idea who they are, and did you know that the only confirmed member of T2M-Central is Caestus Pax, the books never reveal anyone else on that team, which is crazy cause T2M-Asia only has Splash, Geisha, and Gina Bennet, but the other two T2M have like a billion people on them and--

*headdesk*

*snore*

Could he be Hiram "Slag" Goldberg? (Deceased IIRC)

Not likely. They show a picture of Hiram getting gutted by Totentanz in the Project Utopia sourcebook on (checks book) pg.61 and he's not wearing any sort of mask in the shot. Then again, just saying that it is him makes things that much easier for BT (one less nova to generate from scratch thanks to non-existant WW character-statting procedures).

At first I thought the masked Guy was Pele, but Pele is the name of a Hawaiian volcano GODDESS, and in the one group picture in project Utopia (which also has the masked dude in it), there is a chick with fire coming from her eyes that looks like she could pass for Hawaiian. So I assume she's Pele.

Um...yeah. ::indifferent

Not to sound callously indifferent or pushy or anything, but I at this point I don't really care if you decide that the flaming guy with the mask is one of Divis Mal's taint-induced Multiple Personalities, just please, please, Please - DO SOME IC POSTING SOMETIME THIS WEEK, GORRAMMIT!!!!!!! ::angry ::glare

Otherwise I'm likely to develop some taint-induced multiple personalities out of sheer boredom and impatience. (Hey, what do you expect? "Cottus" does means "the Furious One" after all) ::rolleyes

I am, of course, being incredibly sarcastic right now BT. ::indifferent

Post when you're good and ready, I'll wait.

And I'll use the spare time to put a voodoo curse on you..... ::smile

Actually I'm typing it up in a notepad doc right now. So nyah!

...what language is "Cottus" anyway?

Ancient Greek. According to myth Uranus and Gaea birthed three races of divine beings. First came the Titans, second the Cyclopes, and lastly the Hecatonchires or Centimanes. Legend says that, "From their shoulders sprang a hundred invincible arms and above these powerful limbs rose fifty heads attached to their backs". There were three of them, Cottus, Briareus, and Gyges. Cottus means the Furious, Briareus, the Vigorous, and Gyges, the Big-limbed.

So Cottus Centimane means "the furious one with one hundred invincible arms and fifty heads" (which also impies 100 eyes and ears, etc).

I just chose it cuz I thought the name sounded cool. I only have two arms and one head.

Shapeshift: 9 successes (!)

- 2 successes to Sizemorph: Grow. This adds +4 to Strength and 2 extra Bruised HLs. Your height is x4 and your mass is x16. Enemies are at +2 accuracy to hit you.

- 1 success to Tendril. A tentacle that inflict Str +4 Bashing, and has a reach of 2 meters

Not to nitpick ... but if he's x4 to height (and length and depth) shouldn't his tentacle be more than 2 meters long? Like, 8 maybe?

Good save on the Tendril, BlueNinja. That's right.
Hey, I was only asking because it's how I do it. My former tabletop ST didn't like that idea. ::happy Mostly, of course, it seems silly for someone who stands 30+ feet tall to only be able to reach 6 feet with his tentacle, but 10+ with his arm.

- 2 successes to Density Increase. Weight is quadrupled (in addition to the Sizemorph weight). Adds +2 to Strength and +2 to Bashing/Lethal soak.

Question. If Jack has a permanent bodymorph 2 (density decrease 2), does it take to levels of Density Increase to bring him back to normal?

P.S.

You can post images from your hard drive using the add attachment command located below the message body window. Alternatly, you may add images from the internet by linking to them with the Insert Image button directly above the message body window.

Good point. This actually came up when making Blade90's character Kyle. If he has Density Decrease, but then takes a Bodymorph that also has dots of Density Decrease, do the two different DDs stack, or is only the higher one counted? I can't find an answer in the books.

I've run the DD+DI thing in my head for a bit now, and I'm going to make a decision and say that since Permanent Power is an aberration (and a high-level one at that), that it's effects cannot be negated so easily. And as an aberration, the effects cannot always get covered up by Shapeshift.

Hmm...so Bahamut, willing to move those 2 DI dots somewhere else? (Post your answer in the game thread I suppose)

You've never used your quantum vision on Turncoat before

Actually he did, when he first thought he was Bounty. Not that it matters...nice description!

Also, Im curious where you got that Turncoat uses holo rather than shapeshift? I like it actually and think its an awesome and different take, but I had always thought he was a normal shapeshifter with weaknesses and some telpathy...

...and yeah, I just checked. That little blurb nova-phile thing in the Teragen book says he can duplicate animas and such, Using Holo is an ingenius way of simulating that ability!

Re: Permanent Bodymorph.

I thik my suggestion is more equitable in that he has to use valuable shapeshift successes to negate them. As i play a shifter in BNs game he told me that If I ever got any physical aberrations, I could spend a success to counter them for the duration.

Alternately, just make sure his new weight doublings, growth are based off his reduced weight to begin with and also make sure you halve his attack effectiveness.

Re: Permanent DD + DD:

Id say it would depend. If someone has a body morph theycould put points into DD but if they already had DD and then turned on the bodymorph it shouldn't stack, but only the higher applies (a godd incentive for picking one or the other for the DD). Otherwise you make it possible to sidestep paying high level cost for higher dot levels.

Turncoat's stats are in the back of WW:P2. Some of them are Maurice Lourte's; during that scenario Turncoat thinks he *is* Lourte and has all his memories and access to his non-quantum Backgrounds, but the powers and Megas are all Turncoat's. He has Holo (limited to anima banner effects) and Telepathy, but no Shapeshift. Plus Mega-Int 3. I never would have figured Mega-Int 3...

Dernet...I thought it would negate it becuase I had to spend valuable successes to purchase the levels of Density Increase. If I change the aberration with chimeric aberration can I take Density Increase then?

I will also activate chimeric aberration while I am approaching (half power to save QP) to negate the Bodymorph DD. Ill put a WP into it to make sure I get the effect I want. Ill turn the BM into Aberrant eyes, skin and what have you so I am still the same metal substance, just solid.

If I can take DI after changing the aberration, then I will put one success into DI and the other into another thing of Armor.

If not, then I will take 2 extra armor

Good point. This actually came up when making Blade90's character Kyle. If he has Density Decrease, but then takes a Bodymorph that also has dots of Density Decrease, do the two different DDs stack, or is only the higher one counted? I can't find an answer in the books.
Personally, I'd allow them to stack, up to a maximum of 5 dots - but don't say anything about that 5-dot maximum until after they've surpassed it. ::happy (Obviously they could go past that with Q6+, but that doesn't apply to anyone in this campaign, does it?)
Turncoat's stats are in the back of WW:P2. Some of them are Maurice Lourte's; during that scenario Turncoat thinks he *is* Lourte and has all his memories and access to his non-quantum Backgrounds, but the powers and Megas are all Turncoat's. He has Holo (limited to anima banner effects) and Telepathy, but no Shapeshift. Plus Mega-Int 3. I never would have figured Mega-Int 3...
I thought he did his face-shifting with Copycat and/or Appearance Alteration?

Nope, Copycat lets you look like the person you're looking at, and Appearance Alteration can't hide your identity. Turncoat has the power to turn into you, yes (Copycat) but he also rumages through your memories while doing so. he shapeshifts into various people by reading thoughts. Like when he was with Saxon, he turned into people from Saxon's memeories, and spoke in the way Saxon thought they spoke.

He also can turn into people he's met before, as he does a lot of impressions as well. I chalk this up to him using his Telepathy on himself or something, to relive things people have said to him (he does have Enhanced Memory, maybe this is how he uses it?).

Turncoat is one of my favorite NPCs from the books. He's interesting without relying on uber-destructive quantum powers. He's up there with Sloppy Joe and Doctor Worm as cool character concepts.

...Etiquette...

Gulp. I just realized, if we are playing around making etiquette rolls, I'm the one with the Mega-Chr. And the etiquette skill for that matter.

Yeah, I thought we were going with Manipulation, where my Manip5 M-Manip4 would come in incredibly damn useful.

Archived