Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

The conference room in Philadelphia is swiftly evacuated, the confused (but no longer bleeding) African lady following you through, back to the campsite in the mountains where you first arrived. Brandt has the ETPH ready, and as soon as everyone is there, the gate back to Home Earth is opened.

((If anyone wants to tell the poor local anything, now is the time; otherwise, post what you're doing on your return to the SGE, as it will be just after 2100, or 9pm for you non-24-hour-time folks.))

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's on the tip of Paul's tongue to tell her what is going on, but then he realizes,

*She's been on a ship. She knows lots of things we need to. If she really wants to come back, we'll be back after the attack.*

Paul says,

"This leads back to our base. We'll ride out the attack there."

(To everyone) "What you all waiting for? Fire it up, let's go back."

Theo sighs with relief as the warp portal opens and the others begin coming through - then frowns as the stranger appears.

Paul says,

"Who's she?" Theo asks, heading towards the mapper. She was had to be important, otherwise why would they bring her here?

Theo sighs with relief as the warp portal opens and the others begin coming through - then frowns as the stranger appears.

"Who's she?" Theo asks, heading towards the mapper. She was had to be important, otherwise why would they bring her here?

Paul answers,

"This is a very tallented warper...um... I'm sorry, I don't think I know your name, who just managed to blow up one of the ships. From the inside no less. If we're going to successfully defend ourselves, talking to her would be a good place to start."

It's on the tip of Paul's tongue to tell her what is going on, but then he realizes,

*She's been on a ship. She knows lots of things we need to. If she really wants to come back, we'll be back after the attack.*

Paul says,

"We're not going back. Not yet. Some of us are going to try and take down another ship, and bring back a specimen. Then we go home..."

Paul answers,

"This is a very tallented warper...um... I'm sorry, I don't think I know your name, who just managed to blow up one of the ships."

"Two, actually. My name is Patricia Knowles."
"From the inside no less. If we're going to successfully defend ourselves, talking to her would be a good place to start."
She looks between the group in obvious confusion.
"We're not going back. Not yet. Some of us are going to try and take down another ship, and bring back a specimen. Then we go home..."
Patricia raises an eyebrow. "I don't know what the funky crystal is, but it sure as hell doesn't look like a one-megaton nuclear bomb. Got any of those laying around?"

Ash shakes his head. "Hey, Estiban. We have to go back to SGE. I bet what Claire was working on before we left could make a nuke look like nothing. Lets head back for a few minutes and get it. I had a bad feeling about this before...but that came to mind, and now I am thinking only roses could come from this...."

"This may not be the best decission. If I understand correctly, ships are now hovering in atmosphere. We stay too long and we're history. I mean, I can take us to the moon or someplace similar, but..."

Simon wonders what he is accomplishing by this.

"We should go and not come back. Save our super weapons for our own world."

"Two, actually. My name is Patricia Knowles."
Paul says,

"Thank you. I'm Paul. Two? Both of those were you? But that means you were the *only* effective nova out there."

::blink ::wacko ::blink Paul says,

"You are out of your mind! Hundreds of novas just died out there! We didn't come prepared for this materially OR tactically. If just charging out there was going to get anything done it would have already. Even a nuke going off inside the ship was visible, these things are big and dangerous. They probably have thousands of crew."

Patricia raises an eyebrow. "I don't know what the funky crystal is, but it sure as hell doesn't look like a one-megaton nuclear bomb. Got any of those laying around?"
Paul says,

"No. Nothing even close. We weren't expecting this. We can retreat out of their reach, but that's all."

Paul says,

"Thank you. I'm Paul. Two? Both of those were you? But that means you were the *only* effective nova out there."

She smiles wryly. "Most of our transport-capable Empowered were set to work evacuating key personnel and supplies. I volunteered for that. The brass weren't expecting me to take down one."
Paul says,

"No. Nothing even close. We weren't expecting this. We can retreat out of their reach, but that's all."

She chews on her lip for a moment, and before she can speak, a brilliant flash of light bursts out of the southern sky. "I think that was Los Angeles. If I evacuate with you, will I be able to return?"

"You are out of your mind! Hundreds of novas just died out there! We didn't come prepared for this materially OR tactically. If just charging out there was going to get anything done it would have already. Even a nuke going off inside the ship was visible, these things are big and dangerous. They probably have thousands of crew."

"I have to agree. Going up there would be suicide. I really wish there was more we could do, but I don't think we stand a chance." He turns to the Patricia. "Unless you think we have a chance. How difficult was the fight inside the ship? Did any other novas try warping into the ships that you know of? If you were the only successful one out of the entire world's empowered, that doesn't make our chances sound good."

She chews on her lip for a moment, and before she can speak, a brilliant flash of light bursts out of the southern sky. "I think that was Los Angeles. If I evacuate with you, will I be able to return?"

"Probably not. Not unless we somehow manage to take out the rest of the ships, and then only if the rest of the fleet doesn't come to find out what happened to their scouting party."

Brandt, standing near the ETPH, glances up at the sky after the flash goes off. "Not that we're pressed for time or anything," he says sarcastically, "but I think perhaps we should speed up this conversation." He steps directly in front of Patricia, suddenly moist eyes contrasting with the harshness of his tone. "I cannot possibly understand how you must feel right now, but you really only have two choices right now. Stay here and die, or come with us. Regardless of the optimism of my colleagues," he says, glaring at Esteban, "your world is going to be nothing more than a shattered husk very soon. You might, might!, be able to take out the scout ships that are bombarding cities right now, but they are nothing compared to the rest of their fleet that will be following."

"I have to agree. Going up there would be suicide. I really wish there was more we could do, but I don't think we stand a chance." He turns to the Patricia. "Unless you think we have a chance. How difficult was the fight inside the ship? Did any other novas try warping into the ships that you know of? If you were the only successful one out of the entire world's empowered, that doesn't make our chances sound good."
She looks lost for a moment, then shakes her head. "I know I was the only American Empowered to try, and that's because your seer showed us what the ships looked like. I don't know if anyone else made it on another ship ... or one that I nuked." Patricia seems genuinely upset at the idea she might have killed a fellow Empowered, even by accident.
He steps directly in front of Patricia, suddenly moist eyes contrasting with the harshness of his tone. "I cannot possibly understand how you must feel right now, but you really only have two choices right now. Stay here and die, or come with us. Regardless of the optimism of my colleagues," he says, glaring at Esteban, "your world is going to be nothing more than a shattered husk very soon. You might, might!, be able to take out the scout ships that are bombarding cities right now, but they are nothing compared to the rest of their fleet that will be following."
She stares back towards the south, where another flash of light erupts in the same area of sky, and slowly nods. "Alright," she whispers, "let's go."

She stares back towards the south, where another flash of light erupts in the same area of sky, and slowly nods. "Alright," she whispers, "let's go."
Unless someone physically prevents him, Paul fires up the gate. He comments,

"Those flashes of light are just the start. Any minute now we're going to feel a shockwave."

Esteban, now having shrunk back into a human form, sighs wearily.

"Just because it isn't our Earth doesn't make these people's lives any less special...I'm sure we could capture at least one of them if Brandt and I were to blitz their ship."

Jonathan looks sadly towards the latest explosion. "The gods have abandoned this world. We should, as well."

Seeing the team give up on the notion, Esteban meets Zhenglai and Jonathan's gaze with sadness and resignation as Paul activates the portal home. "Let us hope they will smile more kindly upon us..."

He walks through into SGE.

Ash frowns. He hated to admit it...but this was one situation that their meager quantum abilities just coulden't do it. At least not without a bit of help. He put his hand on Estibans shoulder before he walked through the portal.

"I know its hard...I dont wanna leave it like this either. But we dont have a chanse in hell if taking one of thoes things out by our lonesome. Lets try to get some help from Claire and see what we can do then."

Esteban, now having shrunk back into a human form, sighs wearily.

"Just because it isn't our Earth doesn't make these people's lives any less special...I'm sure we could capture at least one of them if Brandt and I were to blitz their ship."

Paul answers,

"We'd save exactly no one. The choice isn't between us saving them and us dying. The choice is between us dying or not dying. Also, look at the range the Psion's communication gear has. Take one home and he could be communicating with our fleet."

Back in the SGE, the gate room is empty, but Richard's voice starts coming over the speaker after everyone is through the gate. "Um, guys? I don't mean to second guess you or anything, but ... what the hell are you doing bringing someone back? You guys might as well make yourselves comfortable down there, because I'm sure Angela will want to give her - and the rest of you - a medical scan to make sure you didn't bring back ... well, anything."

About five minutes later, Jennifer comes downstairs bearing a tray full of sandwiches. "Hey guys. Richard, Michal, and Angela are all upstairs arguing about her." The blonde mechanic gives a smile and a nod to Patricia, who's looking a bit lost in the large cavern-room. "Richard seems to be a bit paranoid about how we're going to smuggle interdimensional refugees without giving away the scope of the project."

"Men," Theo sighs, rubbing her eyes as she tiredly takes a sandwich from Jen. "Nobody thinks to ask us anything."

"Athena," she calls out, glancing tiredly at Jonathan, "please tell Michal if he wants to learn anything, he should get in here."

After a moment, Michal's voice, sounding annoyed, comes over the speakers. "Theo? Athena said you were going to give me the short version of why one of the natives came back with you? Would someone mind enlightening me, so that I can pull the Boss card?"

Patricia, who has moved over near the slightly open door, and then turns back, looking at Paul and Brandt. "Interdimensional?" she says, apparently having picked up on Jennifer's comment.

Back in the SGE...

About five minutes later, Jennifer comes downstairs bearing a tray full of sandwiches. "Hey guys. Richard, Michal, and Angela are all upstairs arguing about her." The blonde mechanic gives a smile and a nod to Patricia, who's looking a bit lost in the large cavern-room. "Richard seems to be a bit paranoid about how we're going to smuggle interdimensional refugees without giving away the scope of the project."

"Thats easy", Esteban smirks. "I leave as a bird or something and show back up as her..." He thumbs toward Patricia, as he does so becoming an exact replica.

((SS: copycat, plus Weave.))

Simon, now back into the guise of the Obsidian Mask, moves once through moves into the room and begins to sit. As he does a large metal throne begins to appear beneath him.

(( MC roll please ))

"Now that the team has returned home, it is time to talk strategy."

His address goes to the entire party.

"We brought her back for two reasons. One, the world we just visited is in the process of being annihilated by a scouting group from the Meklar fleet, and it would be nice if there were at least one survivor from their world. If it's a problem keeping her here, we can always teach her Greek. Two, she's the only nova from her world who actually managed to take down not just one, but two Meklar ships. She's seen them up close from the inside, which is more than any of us can say. If you're going to chew us out for saving someone from certain death at the hands of the aliens we're trying to stop, save it until after we've talked to Claire and Reiller about the possibility of taking out the three remaining ships."

There's a moment of silence, then Michal's voice comes over the speaker again, sounding somewhat clipped. "Rieller. Status report."

"Michal?"

"You heard me, Rieller. I need to know now."

There's another moment of tense silence from the speakers, before Rieller's voice comes through again.

"Best case scenario? Two weeks before we can stress-test it. Worst case, a month plus a couple of days." There's another pause, though Rieller's breathing can be heard over the speaker system. "Michal, what the hell is going on?"

Michal's sigh echoes in the gate room before his voice comes over the speakers. "The barbarians just stormed the gates on the last world."

Another pause. "Oh. Shit."

END EPISODE 7: NOT A SUPERPOWER

Michal's voice comes back over the speakers. "Jonathan, go ahead and bring everyone up to the briefing room. Your ... rescuee will have to live with being stuck down here for the next few weeks, at least. Then, maybe, we'll be able to help any survivors on her world mount a counter-attack. In the meantime, I want to know everything you guys do." The speaker clicks off, then back on. "Oh, and Ash, please make sure the mapper gets put away safely."

Jonathan turns to Patricia. "I'm sorry for the awkward welcome to our world." He starts to lead her towards the conference room. "This will sound a little odd, but we're part of a project that's been exploring alternate dimensions. We're from a world not too different from yours, and we've been exploring in an attempt to try to find a way to defend ourselves from the fleet that attacked your world. Unfortunately, we're not quite prepared to fight them yet. We went to your world hoping to find something that would be useful to us. Unfortunately, all we found was proof that we aren't anywhere near ready to take on this fleet. Our world... is different from yours, but not by too much. There's no Samhalle on our world, and the US stretches all the way to the west coast."

"...and the US stretches all the way to the west coast."

"On the other hand, we do know a lovely world where they speak Greek and worship 'empowered' as children of the gods," Theo says, stretching. "Aside from a little in-fighting, it's a very nice world. Just ask for a private bath."

Paul says,

"Your world and ours used to be the same. We think we split about four centuries ago during a war in Europe. The English colonies did better on ours, and I'm guessing England did better in some of the wars they kept having."

Paul shrugs.

"We've been doing this for a while and I got the feeling our worlds were pretty much the same. Different names, countries, but pretty close. We don't know why it made the difference it did. We've been thinking the aliens were a hundred years away, but apparently that's just the main fleet."

SGE gate briefing room

approx 2115 -

When everyone gets seated, including Patricia and Angela, Michal sits down at the head of the table. "Those of you who don't need sleep, I'd really, really like you to stay up and detail everything you can remember about the ships you said attacked the last world. The information Zhenglai got from the Psylons is woefully out of date, and the more you can give to Athena, the better we can project the rest of their abilities. As for the project Rieller has been working on ... well, let's just say I was worried that we wouldn't have a century to sit around building ray guns." He gives a pointed look at Esteban. "For the last two years or so, Rieller and Claire have been working mostly in their spare time to construct a surface-capable anti-starship weapon. It's got a minimum range of something like two miles, so when it's finished, you guys will be able to take it back there and test it out." He looks over at Patricia with a very grave expression, his music aura currently playing something very dark and somber in a minor key. "That's going to be a few weeks, at least, even with me delaying all of Rieller's other projects - which I am."

He pauses for a moment, as if to think, and then nods. "Also, Eli said he'd figured out something to do with integrating the crystals you found and the gate power supply, so he'll want to talk to at least Jonathan and Ash, probably the rest of you as well. Athena's letting him know you're all back.

"I know you guys probably don't want to hear this, but I'd like you to do at least one more mission while we're waiting for Rieller and Claire to finish their prototype. It's especially important, now that we have proof the Meklar have scout ships out there, that we try to get an idea of when and where they're striking. We have ships up there, but if I'm going to be sending the Aethon into combat, he's going to need a serious overhaul." Michal pauses and looks around the table. "Any questions?"

Brandt looks up, his expression calm. "Yes. How long have you known that the Meklar were this close, and how many other teams have you had before us?"
Michal shakes his head quickly. "I didn't know. I suspected that they'd have some kind of vanguard - but until Zhenglai used some of the Psylon knowledge to do some maintenance on the mapping device, I could barely zoom in enough to see the main fleet. I tried searching for years for their scouting force, along every star within a dozen light years of their general path towards Earth, and never found any evidence. You guys are the first live team to ever go through the gate, because until I was convinced it was safe, I was sticking with remote-control probes, and a robotic body for Athena." He sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose. "I don't know what I can do to convince you I'm telling the truth about this."

Michal shakes his head quickly. "I didn't know. I suspected that they'd have some kind of vanguard - but until Zhenglai used some of the Psylon knowledge to do some maintenance on the mapping device, I could barely zoom in enough to see the main fleet. I tried searching for years for their scouting force, along every star within a dozen light years of their general path towards Earth, and never found any evidence. You guys are the first live team to ever go through the gate, because until I was convinced it was safe, I was sticking with remote-control probes, and a robotic body for Athena." He sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose. "I don't know what I can do to convince you I'm telling the truth about this."

Brandt smiles thinly. "I'm not the only one you need to convince. Can't say that I blame you for keeping your back-up plans under wraps, but if you'd trusted more of us, you might have that defense system up and running by now." He shakes his head slightly, obviously disappointed and more than frustrated.

The Obsidian Mask leans forward in his summoned throne.

"Agreement with Mr. Brandt here is most prudent. Though you and yours are considered intellectually supreme, Michal, others do have expertise that could assist. The Ancient master proved that scientific assistance can come in the strangest of vessels."

The Mask pauses for a minute, attempting to recal every detail of the ship he witnessesed on the video screens. He then peels open the space in front of him and summons a replica ship nearly the size of a football.

"These ships, are magnificent"

His last statement loud enough to be heard, but low enough to suggest no inner monologue.

Archived