Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

Shifting out of his dastardly guise, the now normal looking Esteban adds rather solemnly,,,

"We're...not sure..."

"According to Zhenglai, in his visions, hundreds of Empowered attack a single ship simultaneously and are just as quickly obliterated..."

((To be clear, Zhenglai's vision shows dozens of novas/Empowered dying - from the changes in angle, it's not clear whether they are all attacking the same ship, or if this was the entire worldwide effort scattered among the five ships all dying.)),,
"There is more that we know of why they are coming, which Paul has already alluded to, but there isn't time now to recount all of how we know it. For now, let us say that Empowered, or at least beings very much like us were their enemies in the distant past or possibly future, and they now come for vengeance or to stop us before we become a threat. They are more than prepared for our capabilities. Unfortunately, we cannot say the same about them. In truth, we had only just begun to investigate these aliens...known as the Mechlar...and from what we can tell, their arrival now is 100 years before our initial projections estimated..."
Paul says,

"None of us are equipped for combat with those things. We were still gathering information. We think it's been a very long time since we've last met... at the moment I'm hoping they don't know about Inspired. But that might not be much of an edge. The only power I can think of that might hit them below the belt would be telepathy or some varient, maybe linked with mind control. Oh, and we think they're 'borgs. Fused with their technology. If you have someone who's influence with computers has that kind of range, that might work well."

Agent Johnson starts turning red, obviously angry that his paranoia and authority aren't being pandered to, but Violet cuts him off, looking somewhat pale. ((Zhenglai felt her brush against his mental shields again, and Ash felt her poking at his mind, but he knows she didn't get anything of importance.)) "Agent - don't antagonize a seer. Or do you want another Adolf situation?" With his angry expression still firmly in place, he replaces his sunglasses.

Meanwhile, the African woman leans across the table. "You people obviously know something about these aliens. I'll worry about how later; what me and the other Chiefs of Staff want to know is, do you know their weaknesses? Capabilities? Or could you give us an image of the inside of one of their ships so that we can try taking them down from the inside? And can you, with any of the rest of your powers, support us in an assault?"

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonathan sighs. "Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much help we can be. We're certainly not prepared or equipped to take the fleet on ourselves, I'm sure you have Empowered who are much more capable than we are. How much do we know about them? Well," he turns to look at Zhenglai, "He would have the best answer to that, but all our information is thousands of years out of date. We honestly don't have much to offer, except a warning that they are definitely hostile, and without a coordinated defense, your world is in serious danger."

((To be clear, Zhenglai's vision shows dozens of novas/Empowered dying - from the changes in angle, it's not clear whether they are all attacking the same ship, or if this was the entire worldwide effort scattered among the five ships all dying.))

Agent Johnson starts turning red, obviously angry that his paranoia and authority aren't being pandered to, but Violet cuts him off, looking somewhat pale. ((Zhenglai felt her brush against his mental shields again, and Ash felt her poking at his mind, but he knows she didn't get anything of importance.)) "Agent - don't antagonize a seer. Or do you want another Adolf situation?" With his angry expression still firmly in place, he replaces his sunglasses.

Meanwhile, the African woman leans across the table. "You people obviously know something about these aliens. I'll worry about how later; what me and the other Chiefs of Staff want to know is, do you know their weaknesses? Capabilities? Or could you give us an image of the inside of one of their ships so that we can try taking them down from the inside? And can you, with any of the rest of your powers, support us in an assault?"

Zhenglai answers the African woman after Jonathan finishes with his explanation, "For myself, I am, as you already know, a Seer and I can open doorways in space. I am also a Telepath, though my ability to probe the minds of others is limited at best. My chief abilities are in the realm of direct thought and emotion manipulation. And I doubt those will be of much use against the attackers. I will help if can, however. And as for what else I know about these vessels, I tell will tell you what I can..."

Zhenglai will then go on to lay out everything he knows about the Mechlar ships, going into detail about their flight capabilities, damage resistance, and firepower (assuming he knows about these things).

As Zhenglai starts to lay out the ship's capabilities from the Psylon knowledge, more people enter the room. One of them is clearly a nova, as his eyes glow a metallic gold color, several more are baselines in military uniforms, and more agent-types. When Zhenglai finishes, the African woman takes the two generals (?) by the arms, and they stand and vanish in a wash of white light again. Most of the agent-types have been taking notes, one of them talking with the so-far silent MiB, before nodding and leaving the room. Agent Johnson (now calmer, or at least distracted by the flow of information), somewhat nervously raises a hand. "Do you know what the inside of their ships look like? So that we could attempt to teleport Empowered inside their ships, and avoid their beam weapons completely?"

While they're talking, Violet moves around the room, and gestures to Ash and Jonathan to follow her out of the conference room. She moves across the hall into an office, and locks the door behind her. It's instantly clear to both that she's very nervous, and keyed up almost as though she's expecting you guys to get angry with her. "I know it's considered rude to brush people's thoughts, but I couldn't help trying to get some more information about these aliens, and you," she waves a hand towards Jonathan, "seem to be in charge of the group even though you haven't said anything, and, well," she pauses to take a deep breath, "how is it he," pointing at Ash, "clearly remembers California as being firmly American?"

As Zhenglai starts to lay out the ship's capabilities from the Psylon knowledge, more people enter the room. One of them is clearly a nova, as his eyes glow a metallic gold color, several more are baselines in military uniforms, and more agent-types. When Zhenglai finishes, the African woman takes the two generals (?) by the arms, and they stand and vanish in a wash of white light again. Most of the agent-types have been taking notes, one of them talking with the so-far silent MiB, before nodding and leaving the room. Agent Johnson (now calmer, or at least distracted by the flow of information), somewhat nervously raises a hand. "Do you know what the inside of their ships look like? So that we could attempt to teleport Empowered inside their ships, and avoid their beam weapons completely?"

While they're talking, Violet moves around the room, and gestures to Ash and Jonathan to follow her out of the conference room. She moves across the hall into an office, and locks the door behind her. It's instantly clear to both that she's very nervous, and keyed up almost as though she's expecting you guys to get angry with her. "I know it's considered rude to brush people's thoughts, but I couldn't help trying to get some more information about these aliens, and you," she waves a hand towards Jonathan, "seem to be in charge of the group even though you haven't said anything, and, well," she pauses to take a deep breath, "how is it he," pointing at Ash, "clearly remembers California as being firmly American?"

Zhenglai watched Violet lead Jonathan and Ash out of the room from the corner of his old eyes while he listened to the question Agent Johnson was asking him. He could almost see the wash of emotions pouring off the young telepath, and thought he had an idea what had caused those emotions. He put it from his mind however, and turned to Agent Johnson as Violet and his two companions were leaving the room.

"Actually, yes. One of the first visions I recieved of these demons took place inside one of their ships. In the vision I also saw what I can only assume was one of the demons themselves. I can telepathically show this vision to anyone needing first-hand images or I can simply describe what I saw in detail, as you wish."

((Zhenglai will 'path the vision to anyone who needs it (which, if you've forgotten BN, is the one he's had where he's in the hallway of one of the Mechlar ships and one of the Mechlar attacks him), or he can simply explain it in detail. Handle it how you like. For those of you who're interested; the vision in question contains no details that will give away anything concerning SGE or the Pedestal or any of that. It's totally "clean".))

"I don't know," she admitted quietly. "If we really knew why they were coming, if we could talk to them, maybe. if they just want to strip our world, then the first thing they've got to do is to wipe us out. Only I don't know why. The Oort cloud on the edge of our solar system's got plenty of raw materials they could use without ever having to venture in-system and easier to get at. If they're looking for those other aliens, wouldn't they want to make friends and ask us first? They're more likely to destroy whatever they're looking for by attacking. None of this makes any sense to me."

Brandt's other eyebrow raises to match the first, giving him a genuinely surprised expression. "Well, then. That's a unique perspective on the matter. Personally, I never cared before what their reasons were...I'm not sure I care too much even now. I can certainly understand why it would be relevant, and I'm glad that at least someone in our little group is considering it." He smiles at her briefly, then he looks up at the sky, his smile fading.

"I hope the people here have a chance."

Paul says,

"Zhenglai, If you start running low on juice, or if it's easier, I can link some of these people to you. I'm full up."

Watching Jonathan & Ash leave with the other nova, Paul shifts one of the links to Jonathan.

Zhenglai acknowledged Paul with a nod and, expressing his gratitude, said, "Thank you Paul, that would be very convenient and helpful, and I thank you for your generous offer."

Seeing everyone leaving, Esteban changes his Eufiber agin into MiB-wear, complete with shades and earpiece. Approaching Agent Johnson, he asks,

"So...who do you represent anyway? You seemed upset earlier, but I'm afraid a global crisis such as this may finally render obsolete the old Soverighn boundaries. The Mechlar don't care about nationalistic distinctions. They come to destroy all... What are the Samhalle prepared to do?"

Jonathan shakes his head after Ash speaks. "We have reason to want to hide where we're from. And you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you. But before we talk about making any kind of information trade, I want a promise from you that if we do decide to tell you, you won't give the information to anyone else without our permission." (lie detector on)

Brandt's other eyebrow raises to match the first, giving him a genuinely surprised expression. "Well, then. That's a unique perspective on the matter. Personally, I never cared before what their reasons were...I'm not sure I care too much even now. I can certainly understand why it would be relevant, and I'm glad that at least someone in our little group is considering it." He smiles at her briefly, then he looks up at the sky, his smile fading.

"I hope the people here have a chance."

"I hope so too," Theo says softly. "Because if they do, then we do."

With a sigh, she tries sifting through the alien tech that had been dumped in her brain, looking for something that might turn the tides or at least gave them some kind of chance.

Zhenglai acknowledged Paul with a nod and, expressing his gratitude, said, "Thank you Paul, that would be very convenient and helpful, and I thank you for your generous offer."
Paul says to everyone there,

"OK, one of my gifts is the power to link minds. This doesn't allow probing at all, all you get is what the other person chooses to send, and anyone involved in the link can choose to break it off. But it doesn't take energy on behave of the people involved other than myself. That way Zhenglai could concentrate on remembering his vision rather than concentrating on maintaining the telepathy to send it to you. It really enhances team coordination."

"Any takers?"

"Actually, yes. One of the first visions I recieved of these demons took place inside one of their ships. In the vision I also saw what I can only assume was one of the demons themselves. I can telepathically show this vision to anyone needing first-hand images or I can simply describe what I saw in detail, as you wish."
Two of the military uniforms accept, and look at the image. One of them moves towards the window and gets back on the phone, and in about a minute the African woman reappears, and also accepts the vision of the ship. "If we can get up there based on this image, this will help immensely."

The rest of the people seem content to accept hearing about the vision, and the image of the ship, second-hand.

Seeing everyone leaving, Esteban changes his Eufiber agin into MiB-wear, complete with shades and earpiece. Approaching Agent Johnson, he asks,

"So...who do you represent anyway? You seemed upset earlier, but I'm afraid a global crisis such as this may finally render obsolete the old Soverighn boundaries. The Mechlar don't care about nationalistic distinctions. They come to destroy all... What are the Samhalle prepared to do?"

Johnson actually stops to think about this. "If we give them this information, they'll wait to have their own seers try to verify the old man's visions. But ... probably, they'll try to mount their own offensive, to protect Europe and their interests there. Most, though not all, of the Samhalle novas are European. I know we have our diplomats talking with the Mexicans, trying to work out a shared defense in a hurry. Nobody," he says with a touch of exasperation, "has pre-made defensive plans for this kind of thing."
Jonathan shakes his head after Ash speaks. "We have reason to want to hide where we're from. And you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you. But before we talk about making any kind of information trade, I want a promise from you that if we do decide to tell you, you won't give the information to anyone else without our permission." (lie detector on)
She looks back and forth between the two of you, before giving a reluctant nod. "I must tell Immortal - he and I share a mental bond, and he will learn it anyway. But I will agree to conceal the information for now."
"I hope so too," Theo says softly. "Because if they do, then we do."

With a sigh, she tries sifting through the alien tech that had been dumped in her brain, looking for something that might turn the tides or at least gave them some kind of chance.

You can easily get information on what you think the Mechlon capabilities are, based on what they could do during their war with the Psylar. You could probably make a good guess as to how much they have improved, though you won't be able to test that until they arrive. You know you could also easily set the mapping device to view them as they move into orbit around Earth - the zoom will be just barely enough to make out individual novas, but these scout ships are around the size of an aircraft carrier.

"Alright, then I guess it comes down to my friend's question - what can your country offer us, technologically, in exchange for this information and any additional help we can provide? Even if it's not strictly military technology, we're open to any major recent discoveries."
She blinks, obviously surprised at the offer. "I ... er ... I honestly have no idea. But I suppose we could go downtown to the nova division of the patent office."

Ash looks at Johnathan and then back at the woman...considering. Is it a good idea to give them that much time before dissapearing? He tries to get a gut feeling on that situation...
If it doesn't take you more than six hours ... you won't be subject to a violently messy death.

Johnson actually stops to think about this. "If we give them this information, they'll wait to have their own seers try to verify the old man's visions. But ... probably, they'll try to mount their own offensive, to protect Europe and their interests there. Most, though not all, of the Samhalle novas are European. I know we have our diplomats talking with the Mexicans, trying to work out a shared defense in a hurry. Nobody," he says with a touch of exasperation, "has pre-made defensive plans for this kind of thing."

Esteban claps the man softly on the back in what he hopes is a reassuring gesture.

"Well, there's a first time for everything...now, I know you are in a bit of shock, but shouldn't you be on the phone with...somebody? Evacuation may help in the short term, but these aliens are going to hunt us down to the last man woman and child...there is nowhere to run to, and the only hope Earth has is to set aside the old differences and mount a coordinating counter-offensive. Think you can do that?"

Esteban claps the man softly on the back in what he hopes is a reassuring gesture.,,

"Well, there's a first time for everything...now, I know you are in a bit of shock, but shouldn't you be on the phone with...somebody? Evacuation may help in the short term, but these aliens are going to hunt us down to the last man woman and child...there is nowhere to run to, and the only hope Earth has is to set aside the old differences and mount a coordinating counter-offensive. Think you can do that?"

Johnson smiles thinly, and one of the other MiBs chuckles with gallows humor. "The grand high muckety-mucks in the Legislature and the Prime Minister are already being evacuated, no doubt - moment this story broke. The Executor of the Estates will probably raise a stink and demand on staying in the public eye - to show that there's nothing to fear - but then again, if his ass gets toasted, it's no great loss to the States. As for the general population, I think that the police, Army, and local militias are probably being mobilized as we speak, to deal with traffic and trying to keep people on a normal schedule." Johnson tils his head, then nods to his compatriot and taps his earpiece. "And that was a message telling any of us on less important duty to report to local FPD headquarters for reassignment." He pulls off his sunglasses and looks Esteban square in the eye. "Right now, we'll have to depend on our Empowered and pray that our conventional forces will be able to do something - even if it's just a distraction."

In the other room, Violet repeats something similar to Ash and Jonathan, though without the testosterone-laden bravado.

National Police Department Headquarters, Philadelphia, Free Colonies of America

approx 2050 -

Five PCs wait in the conference room overlooking the Atlantic, mostly staying out of the way, and occasionally answering questions of what the Meklar ships are supposed to be capable of. The other three rest out in the desert, moving down into a ravine to be sheltered from the wind, the mapping device reset by Theo to show an image of the planet. Everyone around the world seems to be holding their breath, with Empowered from every nation on standby, military forces stretched to their limits trying to keep their populations calm and worrying about what will happen next.

Orbital telescopes and cameras have been laboriously retrained, giving the PCs in Philadelphia ample time to view the ships up close, in detail. Then the moment of truth comes.

The Defender of Justice, apparently chosen for being close to invincible and politically harmless, is already out in space, and approaches one of the ships, placing himself straight in the flight path. The cameras can pick up his mouth moving (as he apparently forgot that sound doesn't carry in space), and then the lead scout ship opens fire, a beam of yellow-white light engulfing him. When the cameras recover from the sudden spasm of light, the Defender can barely be seen, looking as though he stepped into an incinerator, falling towards the Earth.

Then things really get fun. All of the Empowered from the Samhalle, China, and smaller regional powers, commence their uncoordinated assaults at the same time. The five Meklar ships fan out, beams of light blazing out, transfixing novas one at a time, as quantum flames, blasts of gravitational and magnetic energy, and fists capable of ripping through depleted uranium, are all turned aside by some sort of massive energy shield surrounding the scout ships. Before more than a minute can go by, one of the ships is suddenly rocked by a massive explosion near the ventral midships; the energy shield flickers out, and Empowered swarm the ship, tearing it to pieces, even as the other Meklar turn to fire on their brethren in the hopes of exterminating more Empowered.

Five minutes later, with the few living Empowered now fleeing desperately for their lives, a white burst of light erupts in the corner of the conference room, and the African woman can be barely seen through her portal, fighting to free herself from some sort of mechanical creature - one of the Meklar. "Run!" she shouts at you, "the nuke is about to go off!"

When the warp opened in the corner of the room, Zhenglai's eyes could be seen to widen as he got see one of the demons from his visions "in the flesh", so to speak. Seeing the other nova's plight, he immediately focused his will and sent a tight knot of fear coursing towards the alien creature, hoping that would be enough to slow it down for a moment and allow the Afcrican woman to escape.

"Get that woman out of there!" shouted Zhenglai, "that doorway needs to be closed immediately!"

((Zhenglai will use his Emotional Manipulation power with the goal of generating as much abject terror in the Mechlar as he can, he'll spend a temp Will on the roll for this as well.))

((Zhenglai will use his Emotional Manipulation power with the goal of generating as much abject terror in the Mechlar as he can, he'll spend a temp Will on the roll for this as well.))
((Zhenglai earns an OMFG XP, for 13 successes on 10 dice)) The mechanical creation rears backwards, the grasping appendage ripping away from her arm, drawing blood and shredding her uniform. But the Empowered stumbles through her warp, and it snaps out of existance.

A few seconds later, a second ship also suffers an explosion, this one near the rear of the ship, and a series of secondary explosions engulfs the engine protrusions near the rear. It starts turning, apparently dead in the water and now subject to gravity's pull.

Paul watches everything avidly and forwards things to novas in the desert. When the wounded nova steps through he steps over to her and gives her a shot of Healing. However it’s also obvious that’s he’s been nervously waiting…

Ash looks at his watch. "Ehhh...lets gert out of here. I have a feeling that they are going to target Philly next. Lets take her with us. Its too bad that we couldent get that Meklar...."
Waiting for that. Paul says,

“OK, time to move. This spot is going to get very hot in a few minutes.”

Paul forwards all of this to The Mask and Brandt.

Upon receiving Paul's mental message, Brandt shakes his head sadly and then calmly moves to start setting up the ETPH, before stopping abruptly and cursing loudly. "We need to get back to the original site in order to for this damn thing to work." He looks at Theo and the Obsidian Mask. "I can make it there pretty damned fast, and I can set it up even faster; but I'd rather the rest of our merry little band was there as well. Ideas?"

While they're thinking, he tries to contact Paul. *Are you still on mind? If so, listen. I need to get the ETPH back to our entry location for it to work. Should I head there now and set it up, or wait for Zhenglai to warp all of us there?*

"Run!" she shouts at you, "the nuke is about to go off!"

A familar golden light flashes and Esteban has become a large (10" ) Metal Beast with wicked blades sprouting from his hands and body. He crouches, ready to poince through at the Meklar, when it suddenly reels back and the warp closes. Clearly feeling the rush of adrenaline he shouts (in a metallic voice),

"We've got to do something!"

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Ash quickly drew his pistols at hte warp, but it closed before he felt the need to release the rounds.

When Estiban makes his demand to do something, however, "We are. Lets get back to HQ. We will gather information and head back to analyse it so that we can take them down without having our planet wiped out."

As you guys start planning your evacuation, you notice that all of the locals (except your rescuee) have already cleared out of the conference room. As Jonathan asks Zhenglai to prepare a warp, alarms start going off in the building, red lights flashing in what looks like some sort of Morse code. Violet's voice comes over speakers around the room and hallway, informing everyone to evacuate to the bomb shelter underneath the building. Her last words, before the speaker turns off, it a dire warning: "One of the alien vessels has moved into position above Boston, so it's only a matter of time."

Upon receiving Paul's mental message, Brandt shakes his head sadly and then calmly moves to start setting up the ETPH, before stopping abruptly and cursing loudly. "We need to get back to the original site in order to for this damn thing to work." He looks at Theo and the Obsidian Mask. "I can make it there pretty damned fast, and I can set it up even faster; but I'd rather the rest of our merry little band was there as well. Ideas?"

Simon adresses Brandt and the others nearby.

"I can open a gate anywhere we need to go. Assuradly faster than you can make the run I'd wager. Just let me know where and when."

Zhenglai sent over the link, this time more reluctantly, **sigh*, very well...*

A few feet in front of him another of his faintly glowing doorways opened into the thin air and he gestured to his companions (and the injured African woman) to step through.

((Warp roll to return to where the other half of the party is.))

Archived