Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

The library is one of those old buildings, large and made of solid bricks, looking aged and important and probably a historical monument. A fancy bronze sign above the entrance says "Donighal Central Library" and it does seem to be a somewhat busy place - several clumps of college-age looking people are going in and out the doors.

Inside, the lobby is spacious and somehow imposing. Jonathan spots a large globe over in the corner, and on the side facing you is Europe. Only someone in the past managed to put together a country that encompasses almost all of Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Finland, and all of the former Soviet states that border the Baltic Sea. As Jonathan moves a little closer, he can read the massive purple blotch on the globe says "Empire of Sweden."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The administrator is in a small office, overlooking the ER waiting room. Mr. Oxenstiern is a tall man, obviously of Scandinavian heritage, and looks like he would have been perfect for a basketball team a dozen years ago. He looks up from a sloppy pile of paperwork, what looks like insurance forms. "My staff at the front desk told me you were an Empowered healer looking for work, yes? I don't know if you've had any formal medical training, but we could use you for the more, ah, time-sensitive cases." He roots around in a file drawer, and hands you a form. "Could you fill this out please? For billing purposes and such."
Paul takes the form, glances at it, and says,

“Oh, I’ve had a lot of formal training… no, correction, I had skills granted by inspiration, then I’ve had several years of hands-on experience.”

“The problem is, effectively I’m only here for the day. Think of me as a day laborer. I’m a ghost, a cipher, I don’t exist. But I can do the usual inspired healer things. I was hoping you’d put to work for the day, take credit for everything I do, and in exchange let me talk to your best doctor about medical treatments for the Inspired... and perhaps give me something out of petty cash although that last part is negotiable.”

"Well," begins Esteban, "I am, quite naturally biased to visit my home. However this is your first time in Europe, and in a different timeline no less! Not a bad place to start either," he whistles, taking in the breathtaking views. "Why don't you decide on this one, Theo?"

"You know French as well?" he asks Brandt. "After all, you're the one that is going to be speed-reading all the books, no?" ::biggrin

"We could stay here for a little while, then go on to Spain," Theo suggested. "Although short of a library or a sunbathing history professor I'm not sure how we're going to find out what we came for."

The library is one of those old buildings, large and made of solid bricks, looking aged and important and probably a historical monument. A fancy bronze sign above the entrance says "Donighal Central Library" and it does seem to be a somewhat busy place - several clumps of college-age looking people are going in and out the doors.

Inside, the lobby is spacious and somehow imposing. Jonathan spots a large globe over in the corner, and on the side facing you is Europe. Only someone in the past managed to put together a country that encompasses almost all of Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Finland, and all of the former Soviet states that border the Baltic Sea. As Jonathan moves a little closer, he can read the massive purple blotch on the globe says "Empire of Sweden."

Jonathan looks at the globe, and turns to Zhenglai. "Well, at least now we know where to start our research." He looks around for a librarian.

(Sorry folks, RL distracted me.)

Paul takes the form, glances at it, and says,

“Oh, I’ve had a lot of formal training… no, correction, I had skills granted by inspiration, then I’ve had several years of hands-on experience.”

“The problem is, effectively I’m only here for the day. Think of me as a day laborer. I’m a ghost, a cipher, I don’t exist. But I can do the usual inspired healer things. I was hoping you’d put to work for the day, take credit for everything I do, and in exchange let me talk to your best doctor about medical treatments for the Inspired... and perhaps give me something out of petty cash although that last part is negotiable.”

He blinks up at you, astonished, before managing to blurt out, "Take credit? I, ah," Oxenstiern pauses to shake his head in wonder. "I think O'Riley is going to be quite astonished at you. He's the lead brain surgeon here, and studies Empowered physiology when he's not cutting people's heads open. If there's a more arrogant surgeon in America, I haven't met them." He levers himself out of his seat. "Let me check the ER list first, to check that there aren't any deathly ill people, then I'll see how busy O'Riley is."
Jonathan looks at the globe, and turns to Zhenglai. "Well, at least now we know where to start our research." He looks around for a librarian.
There's a check-out desk on the other side of the lobby, and a sign by the elevator stating what's on each floor. The stairs brought you up to enter on the second floor; the sign says that non-fiction is all on the first floor.

He blinks up at you, astonished, before managing to blurt out, "Take credit? I, ah," Oxenstiern pauses to shake his head in wonder. "I think O'Riley is going to be quite astonished at you. He's the lead brain surgeon here, and studies Empowered physiology when he's not cutting people's heads open. If there's a more arrogant surgeon in America, I haven't met them." He levers himself out of his seat. "Let me check the ER list first, to check that there aren't any deathly ill people, then I'll see how busy O'Riley is."
Paul smiles and says,

“Good. I know the type. The arrogance comes from successfully playing god.”

When O’Riley shows up, Paul will ask him questions to try to judge the general state of information on nova physiology, and try to judge whether it is equal to or superior to our own.

"We could stay here for a little while, then go on to Spain," Theo suggested. "Although short of a library or a sunbathing history professor I'm not sure how we're going to find out what we came for."

Esteban frowns for a moment, thinking. "Actually, from the sound of it, our state-side companions may have beaten us to the research department. With only a single objective, Im not sure splitting up has really helped us that much, save for avoiding unwanted attention from the Californian authorities. Still, if we can find a local library, I am betting Brandt here may be able to give them a litteral run-for-their-money with his speed-reading. ...Its too bad we are on the clock now...that water does look *so* inviting..."

Esteban seems sad that his obligations prevent him from indulging his more curious nature.

"Let's find what we came here for and then head back to the desert where it will be safe to use the Mapper..."

Esteban frowns for a moment, thinking. "Actually, from the sound of it, our state-side companions may have beaten us to the research department. With only a single objective, Im not sure splitting up has really helped us that much, save for avoiding unwanted attention from the Californian authorities. Still, if we can find a local library, I am betting Brandt here may be able to give them a litteral run-for-their-money with his speed-reading. ...Its too bad we are on the clock now...that water does look *so* inviting..."

Esteban seems sad that his obligations prevent him from indulging his more curious nature.

"Let's find what we came here for and then head back to the desert where it will be safe to use the Mapper..."

A bit distracted by the tourists and the scenery, Brandt blinks before responding to Esteban. "Oui.", he says with a smile. "It's been awhile, but once learned....", he grins, raising his hands in an open shrug. "I should be able to find out what we need with just a few minutes at the library."

A bit distracted by the tourists and the scenery, Brandt blinks before responding to Esteban. "Oui.", he says with a smile. "It's been awhile, but once learned....", he grins, raising his hands in an open shrug. "I should be able to find out what we need with just a few minutes at the library."

"Then it's settled," Theo nods.

"Excusez-moi monsieur," Theo says, switching back to French as she turns to face the lifeguard, "Can you direct us towards the city library?"

Simon finds his mind wander and contemplates his summoning powers. He has tried several times, all with failed attempts to create forms of life...not just matter. He moves to the break of the water on the beach, seeing a star fish. He kneels down next to it, feeling its surface and texture. He knows a good amount of sea life and the stunning abillities of the star fish.

He attempts to mold the quantum filed to create one...

Paul smiles and says,

“Good. I know the type. The arrogance comes from successfully playing god.”

When O’Riley shows up, Paul will ask him questions to try to judge the general state of information on nova physiology, and try to judge whether it is equal to or superior to our own.

Over the course of five hours or so, in between patients needing immediate healing, you pick O'Riley's brain. Apparently this Samhalle is very similar to Project Utopia, except that it's overseen by the Swedish Empire, not the UN. They teach meditation techniques to help with dorming (which you've seen, just not as wide-spread), and they require their own Empowered to take dorm time. They have drugs similar to mox and adrenilocilin under different names, but they don't have Mite or soma. Otherwise, their knowledge seems about the same as home - though Empowered here started appearing in late 1999.
"Then it's settled," Theo nods.

"Excusez-moi monsieur," Theo says, switching back to French as she turns to face the lifeguard, "Can you direct us towards the city library?"

Jonathan heads to the nonfiction floor and tries to find the history section, looking primarily for Swedish history.
With directions to a library in Nice, the group heads off! And at about the same time, Jonathan and Brandt find what they think was the split point. During the Thirty Years War (though here, it's called the Germanic Liberation War), the Swedish monarch Gustav Adolf II was killed. In this world, he lived - and proceeded to conquer virtually all of modern-day Germany. Then his daughter, an equally able tactician, proceeded to do the same to Poland, and her two sons brought in the rest of the area surrounding the Baltic Sea, including Denmark. The last World War here was Sweden, England, and the US, against France, Spain, and Mexico. (Without Swedish intervention, the US would have lost - a thought that will probably concern some of the PCs.)
Simon finds his mind wander and contemplates his summoning powers. He has tried several times, all with failed attempts to create forms of life...not just matter. He moves to the break of the water on the beach, seeing a star fish. He kneels down next to it, feeling its surface and texture. He knows a good amount of sea life and the stunning abillities of the star fish.

He attempts to mold the quantum filed to create one...

You create something that looks like a starfish, and feels like a starfish ... but it's definately not a starfish, since it's not alive, nor even capable of faking it. Then a child, maybe five or six, comes over and asks you something in French. Which is when you realize that the other three walked off without you.

Paul says to O'Riley regretfully,

“Well, shoot. Nothing really to talk about, I was hoping… well, never mind. As long as I’m here, may I help you? Any patients needing a quick organ fix or something? I won’t be staying long or taking credit, so I might as well be helpful to someone.”

Paul is willing to drop two points of willpower for “extreme” injuries.

Rotated over the link *Well, that was pointless. Medically they are the same or slightly weaker than we are. They’re missing some very unethical research, maybe leading support for the idea that Soma and Mite came from the same lab… and that’s it.*

Paul considers getting frustrated from investing five hours into such a failed endeavor, then he decides that not all chases are successful, and this won’t stop him from doing this in the future, so there isn’t a point.

(To Ash) *I think we’re almost done here. After he picks out a patent or two, we might as well walk over and join the others in the library.*

Which is when you realize that the other three walked off without you.

((Sorry Bn but thats not fair to narratively assume. Esteban wouldn't have let this happen.))

As they are leaving Esteban walks up behind the small child who seems so interested in Simon. "Time to go." he says.

As it seemed that he was free from any direct responsibility for the time being, Zhenglai set off for the Current Events section of the Library with the goal of finding out what the current state of affairs in this world was.

((Sorry about the lack of posts lately. Real life and all that. ::glare Zhenglai is, as stated above, trying to get a feel for the current state of world affairs. Specifically he'd be looking at the political situations in this world, the information on and current opinion of novas, and basically anything that really sets this world apart from his (aside from the obvious - obvioulsy!). He'd also pay attention to any religious or spiritual material he found while searching, since he is a very religious man after all.))

Las Vegas Valley desert

approx 1500 local time -

With their research complete, the group meets back up again in the empty area that would be the center of the Vegas Strip in their own universe. Jonathan and Brandt compare the history books they looked over, feeling fairly confidant that this time, at least, they know for sure what caused the split. Once everyone has given their input to Jonathan on where they should pick for a secure location to bring through the Psylon mapping device, and Warped there, the temporary gate is set up, and dialed home. Brandt and Ash bring the device through and set it up, and within about ten minutes you're looking at the Meklar fleet in orbit around Zeta Reticuli.

((Bahamut, Cottus, check your PMs. Unless you guys tell me otherwise, I'm going to assume you picked somewhere in the mountains that's not inhospitable but unlikely to have people dropping in on you. Figure that it's 1530, ie 330pm, when the mapping device is in this universe and set up for viewing.))

Anyone who looked in Guo Zhenglai's direction as he stared at the hologram would have seen his eyes gloss over and gain an impossibly far away look. It would have been obvious that he wasn't seeing the hologram at all, and it would also have been obvious that whatever he was seeing was causing him no small amount of distress.

Guan Yin have mercy on us all, he thought and turned to the others.

"This world is in grave danger! Even now a demon-ship is approaching and as soon as it arrives it will unleash a destruction such as I have never seen!"

Paul snaps out,

"How long? How long do we have!"

Zhenglai's answer was immediate and certain, "Several hours at the least, a day at the most. I think we will be safe enough if we retreat through the next gate, but the people of this world have no such retreat. We must do something to help them. If nothing else, we should try and warn them."

((OOC: is the gate still open right now? If it is then consider Zhenglai's words to be implying that they could still make it safely through the next if they were to stay and try to help the people of this world.))

Zhenglai's answer was immediate and certain, "Several hours at the least, a day at the most. I think we will be safe enough if we retreat through the next gate..."
Paul first, unspoken, thought was *Oh, that's OK then* although he was a little ashamed of it a moment later.
Still looking at the Hologram surrounding them, Esteban asks,,,

"How can that be? The mapper is still showing them around Z-R..."

Paul answers,

"They are a fleet. They'll have scouts maybe. Or maybe someone warped over there and told them... If we're going to tell them, then we should leave two people here to guard the mapping device, or even send it back, then use the weight of everyone else telling them. One nova can be mad. Lots of them is a force."

Still looking at the Hologram surrounding them, Esteban asks,

"How can that be? The mapper is still showing them around Z-R..."

Guo Zhenglai gave Esteban the sort of exasperated look that only the very old are truly capable of, the kind that manages to display both intense impatience and displeasure, but without even a hint of animosity.

"Did you not hear what I said boy? I said a ship is coming, not ships."

"These ships may well be where they seem to be" , he said and indicated the ships in the hologram, "but one at least is not. It is within a day of this planet, and when it gets here it will begin killing."

Ash nods, and looks like a man conflicted. On the one hand...saftey was but a portal away. On the other...An action packed adventure of death, mayhem and heroism that would happen wether he was there or not.

He sighs slightly. "This is going to be our first chanse to see what these guys can actually *do*. To see how big a threat they will be to our world when they get here. These guys have nova's that are probably slightly weaker then ours...lets at least see how they fare agenst *one* ship. Heck...if they can take it out in a blast or two, we wont have as much we need to prepare. This is a valuable learning experience. And...lets find some Mexican CNN. The news will be our best friend."

"..This is going to be our first chanse to see what these guys can actually *do*. To see how big a threat they will be to our world when they get here. These guys have nova's that are probably slightly weaker then ours...lets at least see how they fare agenst *one* ship. Heck...if they can take it out in a blast or two, we wont have as much we need to prepare..."

Guo Zhenglai shook his head, "You don't understand, in my vision dozens, maybe hundreds of novas launched a simultaneous attack against the one ship. They were all killed."

Zhenglai then recounted, briefly, what he had seen in his vision.

((Here's what BN sent me over PM. This way I don't have to retype the whole frickin' thing over again.))

As you gaze upon the Meklar fleet, a vision overtakes you. You know it is in the future, but not terribly far - a day, maybe less, but at least several hours away. You can see in your mind, a ship, similar in configuration to this demon fleet, moving into orbit above Earth, and then your view shifts, so that you are standing in the plaza, facing the Forbidden City, when a massive beam of energy stabs down, and it explodes into flame. Novas, wearing uniforms and emblems from dozens of countries, take to the skies, flying out beyond the atmosphere, to confront these intruders, only to die when the beams pierce them as well. Missiles are launches [sic], to be detonated in mid-flight.

When he had finished he said, "I don't know if there's anything we can do, or if it's hopeless, but I feel we should try."

Guo Zhenglai gave Esteban the sort of exasperated look that only the very old are truly capable of, the kind that manages to display both intense impatience and displeasure, but without even a hint of animosity.

"Did you not hear what I said boy? I said a ship is coming, not ships."

"These ships may well be where they seem to be" , he said and indicated the ships in the hologram, "but one at least is not. It is within a day of this planet, and when it gets here it will begin killing."

Esteban glares back at Zhenglai.

"Look, I understand that you are very very old, but what is really getting old is you talking to everyone here like we're kids. All of us here are adults and deserve to be treated as such, especially from one who invited himself onto this team. Yes. Your services are invaluable and yes, your years give you a different perspective but Id really appreciate it if you'ld stop calling me "boy." I do have a name..."

slightly exasperated himself Esteban remembers what he wanted to say.

"What I was getting at, is that this does not bode well for our timeline. All of Michal's projections assume the fleet moves as one, while stopping at each planet along the way. That was supposed to give us 100 years to prepare, only now it would seem they are not only capable but willing to traverse that distance directly. I wonder if our arrival had anything to do with them coming here now."

"Oh, and didn't Michal say this world had a slightly higher quantum field strength? Wouldn't that make Novas here slightly more powerful?"

Simon ponders the questions at hand. He is a genius by baseline standards, though his brains were no match for some on this team.

"I'd have to agree with Ash. Actually seeing these things in action give us a much higher probabillity to better defend ourselves when its our turn. Also, being new to the team as well ( motioning to Zhengali ) I am not aware if these aliens have been filmed, or what collective data we have on their methods other than his visions. I could whip up some camera and or analysis equipment that could easily capture what unfolds...as well as maybe monitor various other changes. This information could be useful to Michal and others. I know as a man of science myself, i'm interested in studying these kinds of things as well. What do you think?"

Esteban glares back at Zhenglai.

"Look, I understand that you are very very old, but what is really getting old is you talking to everyone here like we're kids. All of us here are adults and deserve to be treated as such, especially from one who invited himself onto this team. Yes. Your services are invaluable and yes, your years give you a different perspective but Id really appreciate it if you'ld stop calling me "boy." I do have a name..."

slightly exasperated himself Esteban remembers what he wanted to say.

"What I was getting at, is that this does not bode well for our timeline. All of Michal's projections assume the fleet moves as one, while stopping at each planet along the way. That was supposed to give us 100 years to prepare, only now it would seem they are not only capable but willing to traverse that distance directly. I wonder if our arrival had anything to do with them coming here now."

"Oh, and didn't Michal say this world had a slightly higher quantum field strength? Wouldn't that make Novas here slightly more powerful?"

As the younger nova launched into his tirade, Zhenglai couldn’t help but smile, which (he imagined) would only make the boy (no, he’s right, he’s right! Not boy, Young Man. ) angrier. Zhenglai’s smile faltered briefly as Esteban continued, but was back almost immediately.

He’d briefly had to think back and carefully consider Esteban’s words before he was quite sure that no, he had not, in fact, “invited” himself onto anyone’s team. Drafted was more like it. Blitzed would be an even better word.

A (very small) part of Zhenglai wanted to be mad at someone, who couldn’t possibly be more than a quarter his age, who would accuse him of not showing respect, but who couldn’t even be bothered to show him the simple courtesy of showing respect for his age. After all, was he not Guo Zhenglai, soldier, warrior, teacher, master (yes, and his students had called him sifu , and in a time when that word still carried some meaning), husband (twice over), father (also twice over, and thinking of his dead infant children, his smile finally faded), and widower (twice again, and there was the Dao as sure as anything). He had outlived far more people than he had ever fought, defeated, killed, or loved, and that number was a very large one. If anyone here deserved respect for their age it was him!

Careful old man, next you’ll be comparing yourself to the Baxian and claiming you came from Penglai Shan! You’re just a man who’s seen the snow fall and the grass grow a few more times than most. Your pride won't net you anything but an embarrasing fall.

But all these thoughts came and went in an instant, as did his anger (though not his sorrow), and even if it was as much bittersweet as sweet, his smile returned.

He bowed in the traditional manner and said, in all sincerity, “Of course Esteban, you are right and I can only apologize and ask that you forgive an old man his presumptions.”

((BN, I’d like to make a Pretercog roll to try and look into the alien ship’s past. Zhenglai wants to see how it came to be in Earth’s orbit all by itself. Specifically he’s trying to target the ship’s point of entry into this solar system so he can try and ascertain how it got there (i.e. warp gate, FTL travel, something else), and whether it was alone when it did. Also, does he have any useful information in his head from the Kassar’s download that might help in this situation (or for that matter, does Theo)?))

At Zhenglai's announcement, Brandt opens his mouth, then closes it, momentarily at a loss for words. Racing, his brain speeds along multiple trains of thought simultaneously, each path starting from this moment as its point of origin before narrowing more and more until they all reach the same conclusion.

"We need to leave. Cameras can be left behind to gather data; hell, we can use the little rover Michal has, or any amount of sensory equipment available that geek has cooked up back home. But the bottom line is that this world will be destroyed. With us on it. I count my job as saving MY world, not someone else's."

Brandt looks frustrated, and almost can't believe what he's saying, but determined to make his point clear.

Paul shifts the link to Zhenglai to get a first(?) hand look at the vision, then rotates the link to relay it.

Paul says,

"CNN will laugh at us. We need to contact this world's version of Team Tomorrow, they will have the resources to tell we aren't lying. Then we leave. They'll try to stop it... and we'll come back in a month or so and see how they did."

"Zhenglai, one question. Can you use the mapping device to locate the ship?."

"We have to at least warn them. Zhenglai, do you know which city the ship will target first? That might be a good place to warn first. We should send a group to warn them, while leaving a couple people here to guard the mapping device. Once we have a guarantee that from this world's nova organizations that nobody will attempt to take the mapping device, we can use it to give them proof of the coming invasion. If Reiller has made enough progress with the alien weaponry, we should ask him if he'd like to give it a field test against that ship. It might be the only chance we have at taking it out."

"...Once we have a guarantee that from this world's nova organizations that nobody will attempt to take the mapping device..."
Paul asks,

"What kind of guarantee would you like? If it'd give them a better chance of coordinating their efforts and increasing their survival, I'd take it from us."

Ash shrugs. "If we want to leave when we want to leave...we need to just watch. If we expose ourselves to Utopia or whatever they call themselves on this world they wont just stop scanning to find out *how* we know they are coming...they will want to know everything about a large group of unknown novas who have *never* been seen on this planet. If we want to save *our* world, we need to watch to see what happens. We just need to fond a TV that has CNN on it...we dont need to warn them. They arent going to destroy the planet...they *need* the planet. Lets just find a good hotel that has cabel and chill out for a while."

((OOC: is the gate still open right now? If it is then consider Zhenglai's words to be implying that they could still make it safely through the next if they were to stay and try to help the people of this world.))
The gate can only stay open for a maximum limit of ten minutes and four seconds. Jonathan (expressed ICly through PM) has said that he would prefer if whoever is operating things in the control room will get in the habit of closing the gate as soon as people/equipment have ceased moving, to somewhat shorten the recharge time below six hours. It normally takes ten to fifteen minutes to get the mapping device set up on flat ground and reset the viewpoint from gazing at Earth. Since returning from the Psilon world, Zhenglai has essentially given it maintenance, enough that you can zoom in on the surface enough to make out continents, and get fairly clear details of ships in orbit. Once the ships from Zhenglai's vision arrive, you should be able to get pretty good details of them.
((Here's what BN sent me over PM. This way I don't have to retype the whole frickin' thing over again.))
Let me emphasize this, since it was not picked up on - Zhenglai got a clear image of only one ship, but there will be more than one.
"Zhenglai, one question. Can you use the mapping device to locate the ship?."
With a clear idea of where the ships are going to appear or enter the system, most of the group can adjust the mapper to show that portion of the solar system. Otherwise, you're going to have to scan manually. The most logical place to start is a direct line towards Zeta Reticuli - but if the scouts have been jumping around between all the systems in advance of the main fleet, they could be coming from almost anywhere. The Psilon knowledge tells Zhenglai, Theo, and whoever else accepted it, that the range of a Meklar's warp-bubble-engine is around fifteen light years in range - less than Psilon warp-bubble travel, but faster over the same amount of distance.

He bowed in the traditional manner and said, in all sincerity, "Of course Esteban, you are right and I can only apologize and ask that you forgive an old man his presumptions."

Esteban nods back,

"Thank you Zhenglai. Your wisdom *is* appreciated..."j

"CNN will laugh at us. We need to contact this world's version of Team Tomorrow, they will have the resources to tell we aren't lying. Then we leave. They'll try to stop it... and we'll come back in a month or so and see how they did."

"I doubt that is necessary. With this many Novas, I am sure many other clairsentients have also had visions. I would guess the planet's defense forces are already on high alert."

"I doubt that is necessary. With this many Novas, I am sure many other clairsentients have also had visions. I would guess the planet's defense forces are already on high alert."
Paul shrugs and says,

"You'd think so, but they aren't. Couple of hours ago we ran into a superman-ish city defender who'd be ideal for this sort of thing, both mentally and physically. He was bored and zooming around looking for things to do."

"I think they either don't have a clue, or don't have enough of a clue. Attack from space isn't the first question someone's going to ask, they’re probably looking for terrorists or a mad scientist.”

Paul sighs.

"I don't think they're going to win, even with advance notice. But some of us are going to have trouble sleeping if they lose without it... and I'd like to see how bad what's coming towards us is.”

Archived