Aberrant RPG - Ancient Novas

Hoi

What do you think about the possibility about ancient Novas, given in the APG? Did you ever create one für your running Game? And which mystikal Legend would fit best in the concept? Heroes like Romulus and Remus? Goliath? Hercules? Gods like Zeus, Mars, Odin or Thor? Powerful Leaders like Dschingis Khan, a roman Emporer, Karl (the Great?) der Grosse?

The only problem on this case is the power of this beeings, Ii think. Mal would not be the most powerful demigod / god on earth ::rolleyes

I would say its possible. *BUT*...they are probably dead through either age or human intervention. I dont know if you have ever messed around with creating an "aged" nova...but consider this. Divis Mal is just over 100 years old (the oldest known nova). Dude has a Q of 8, he pretty much dosent have to pay for his powers, he has any power he needs at any one time (per Abberant:Worldwide Phase I) and, as if that wasen't enough he can shut down a persons node from a long distance away. And thats simplifying what he can do.

The reason I say they are probably dead...well I havent read about anyone that can kick Divis's arse through sheer power yet.

The only other option is that they created a new relm (Valhalla, Tuatha De Anne(sic), Mount Olympis?) to live in via Creation El Nihlo (meaning one of them would have a Q of 10 and I dont wanna meet that).

Divis already has infinite power. I'm not sure you need to introduce someone with more than that.

However, if you want to introduce Q6-8 novas as NPCs, there are other options.

1) They come from the future (fleeing the war perhaps).

2) They come from another reality.

I'm not talking about a way to smack Divis down or asking for a way to creat powerful Novas. I'm talking about the fact of Novas in the Past, given by the APG.

And no, why should they (all) be dead by age? If you have Adaptability you can live for thousands years - or longer. Also they could slumber in a Quantumfield or Quantumkonkon because of a long Chrysalis period - awakening because og an Earthquake or by Divis Mal powers.

Thats why I put forth the option that they *created* a way out of here. The only way that such large quantum signatures wouldent be read would be if A) they are dormed down (and even then I think they would be giving off a significant Q signature) or B) they are in a galaxy far far away.

I have done something simular to, though not quite, what you are talking about.

In my Adventure game the party found a bunch of stuff left behind by an ancient alien research expedition. Inside one of the old alien structures they found a "demon" (read taint mad alien) locked in a vault. This guy was a 30 or 40 pt (can't remember now, I was pretty loose with the rules when I built him), and my party of 4 Inspired killed him.

-Slag

I was wondering when someone would bring this up... ::devilangel

The idea of ancient novas was one of the possibilities I'd come up with as a way to help rein in nova characters at high-quantum power levels. A race of ancient alien novas would likely come as quite a surprise to Divis Mal & Co., especially if the alien novas are a good deal more powerful than the "human upstarts" are.

As to the possibility of ancient human novas... I'd think that most of them would've died off or been killed before the Adventure! era. There are an awful lot of ways for a first-generation nova to mess him- or herself up with Taint, and most of those ancient novas would've had an extremely poor education in the way that their powers actualy functioned (and could malfunction).

As to the possibility of ancient human novas... I'd think that most of them would've died off or been killed before the Adventure! era. There are an awful lot of ways for a first-generation nova to mess him- or herself up with Taint, and most of those ancient novas would've had an extremely poor education in the way that their powers actualy functioned (and could malfunction).

I never thought about hundreds of ancient God-Novas, awakening or fallen from Valhalla, to conquer the world (he, sounds kewl ::devilangel ). But one or two could have been around till the actual timeline.

And with Mega Intelligence and the right powers they could discover more secrets as Divis Mal till 2009. And in barbarian tribes with their natural way of living it would be easier to "discover" the crysalis. Maybe some Novas had build Atlantis discovering and inventing powerful Tech - till they smashed it in their madness or in battle with outsiders.

Well, the QZ threads have had both Thor & Nefertiti - but no-one ever believes them when they tell people they're ancient gods... ::wink

Doesn't it just suck when players have books telling them these individuals arent the deities they claim to be? Sheesh it's as if we need to see them throw lightning and fire around before we beli... ::rolleyes ... riiight scratch that! ::sarcasm

Doesn't it just suck when players have books telling them these individuals arent the deities they claim to be? Sheesh it's as if we need to see them throw lightning and fire around before we beli...  ... riiight scratch that! 

What - you guys believe what's in the books?.. ::devil ::lookaround ::tongue ::wink

• 5 weeks later...

I did a writeup of Odin as a Nova once. Not for play, but for fun.

Originally Q8, he Nodesparked to Universe Creation in ancient days, and botched the roll.

Now he is stuck in decaying Åsgard, the parasitic little universe he made. It consumes him, even though he long ago fed most of his children to it, to slow his own rot. He still slows his own dying by feeding it the dead he calls.

He can still watch the earth with the corroded remains of his old power. He follows it with an ancient and alien hunger, as his stars dim and die, and the edges of his realm crumbles.

(Edit: Thinking about it, I might use him with ReignOfEvil, if I use them)

• 3 weeks later...

I did seem to notice a suggestion in the main Aberrant book that people who hang around novas have a tendency to become novas themselves more often than normal. That might explain these pantheons of gods in certain ancient locales like Mount Olympus for example. Anyway, I think that would be an interesting idea for a story, but I haven't been able to use it yet. Of course, maybe you could just use a very powerful power to change others into novas. Would also explain why the eldest "deitites" were feared by their own "progeny." Anyway, just thinking and glad to be able to post to another Trinity Universe forum. :)

... Of course, maybe you could just use a very powerful power to change others into novas...

Yeah - there's a power in the APG that'll do that, & it's hinted at in various places that Divis Mal can use it - so there's no reason why some other single 'eruptee' back in history couldn't have developed such an ability, then 'created' his / her fellow 'gods' with it; or, maybe, a powerful modern Nova could develop the Time Travel power from the APG as well, & travel back through the ages to become the proginator of the ancient gods?

I kinda' like the idea myself - then again, I always did like plundering mythology for interesting plots! ::wink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Heh, this is basically the main element of the campaign I'm in.

Short version is, throughout history there have been novas, and periodically there have been great eras of wonder, wherein the world is filled with novas ( as in, Aberrant-era type numbers or better ). The main time period of the campaign is one such era, basically in the preclassical period ( think Atlantis and Trojan War ).

The primary conflict in the era is between the Theran Compact, who are a sort of benevolent synthesis of Utopian *and* Teragen elements ( though its easier to have Teragen elements when *everyone* thinks your a god :) ), and the Heraclidae, who are an alliance of alot of groups ( some good, some neutral, some oh so horrifyingly evil ) who have as a common element opposition to Thera. The ongoing cold war between them has lately been heating up, and so both sides are gathering allies from around the world, which is the main area our PCs come in.

( this isn't even touching other major elements of the campaign, like time travel, and the fact that the contemporary era is actually controlled by a Four analogue. . . )

Archived