Trinity RPG - psychomorhs

elohim

::blink Hi! i' m a relatively new ST and over the course of reading the core book and especially the various supplements and sourcebooks many questions arose. one of the latest was this : what exactly are the psychomorhs and how rare are they?

When did they first of them appeared? they are also supposed to manifest multiple aptitudes? how can they be safely introduced in a campaign without disturbing the equilibrium?

thanx for your time!

A psychomorp is a psion who manifests his power without being triggered, and yes, they can have multiple apptitudes...

Some conspiracy theorist claim that Maxwell Mercer was a psychomorph, but that is highly uncomfirmed.

I think that psychomorps is mentioned in some of the abberant books, so I suppose that around the year 2000 is the first sighting of them...

how can they be safely introduced in a campaign without disturbing the equilibrium?

That deppends on what you wannt to use them for.

I hope I have been informative enough...

Take care.

A 'psychomorph' is basically a Psion who triggers naturally (usually in response to some high level of emotional or physical stress), rather than being 'dunked' & triggered artificially in a Prometheus chamber. Alternatively a psychomorph is just any character powered by Psi (rather than Quantum).

In the Adventure! setting these guys are refered to as 'Mesmerists' or 'Psychically Inspired'. In Aberrant they're 'Psyches' or 'Psiads'.

'Psychmorph' is the Æon Society terms for such people, 'Eximorphs' are those with Quantum-fueled powers (Adventure!'s Stalwarts & Aberrant's Novas). 'Paramorphs' are either one guy who can travel in time (Max Mercer), or Adventure!'s Daredevils - depending on which game developer you happen to ask... ::rolleyes

The APG has two sets of rules for Psychomorphs: one using Aberrant rules, the other using Trinity rules.

In Trinity terms Psychomorphs fit into three groups: Cognitive [Clairsentience & Telepathy], Biological [biokinesis & Vitakinesis], & Energetic [Electrokinesis & Psychokinesis]. The two aptitudes in brackets are 'primaries' & the rest (including Teleportation) are 'secondaries'. Psiads can't manifest Quantakinesis (it's not a natural aptitude in the first place).

A Psiads spends her initial aptitude dots on her primaries, & can buy more for 4 bonus points a pop, or current rating x5 XP. Secondaries cost 5 bonus points per dot, or current rating x7 XP.

Psiads can't start with Psi higher than 5, & it costs them current rating x7 XP to raise it.

Psiads can buy any primary or secondary aptitude up to 3 dots. Primaries can be brought up to 4 dots once the character reaches Psi 9 or 10.

That's about it.

Now I'll probably be sued by WW for divulging secret APG rules... ::lookaround

• 2 years later...

(I hope that this site isn't one of those that hates topic necromancy... ::innocent )

I'm running a game with a psychomorph NPC in it and thus my thanks to ProfPotts for the handy info. I still have some questions however, and facts and/or opinions are appreciated.

Mainly I want to know if they spontaneously manifest their psi powers, or do they need to be trained? Or is it that they learn the powers the same way as psions do if teaching themselves (using the self-research for new powers rules)? How I decide this will greatly affect one aspect of our current adventure. I'm thinking that perhaps they can learn their powers on their own, otherwise how would they have received "training" before there were psi-orders? This could explain why most of them never get very powerful, but that is also taken into account by their limitations as already explained.

The other one regards this:

Psiads can't manifest Quantakinesis (it's not a natural aptitude in the first place).

I accept that this is the rule in that game, but I don't think that I agree with it. I saw somewhere that the Doyan experimented with the QKs because it was something humanity could manifest but they couldn't, so that would suggest to me that humans can manifest it naturally. Otherwise, the only explanation is that humans retain the potential for it, but need the Doyan, who can't use it, to trigger it. That just sounds odd to me. ::huh

(I hope that this site isn't one of those that hates topic necromancy... ::innocent )

No Problem.

Mainly I want to know if they spontaneously manifest their psi powers, or do they need to be trained?

Like Novas, for the most part they have to be self taught since they have themes and not Psion schools. Training works very well when everyone has the same potential, the same aptitudes, and thus presumably at least in theory the same powers. But each Psiad is a unique work of art.

I accept that this is the rule in that game, but I don't think that I agree with it. I saw somewhere that the Doyan experimented with the QKs because it was something humanity could manifest but they couldn't, so that would suggest to me that humans can manifest it naturally.

Not really. With un-natural help, humans can have it while Doyan can't even have it then. However the Doyan *can* take over people who do have it so the question becomes... is quantum, even under those circumstances, still harmful to the Doyan? If the answer was no then many things become potentially possible. However the answer was "yes", so the experiment was shut down. IMHO there never was an 8th order, there were 7 orders and one experiment.

At issue wasn't whether humans could naturally manifest this sort of thing, the whole presence of a tank proves nothing either way. But it's absense in psiads means that we can't... and if that weren't the case novas would be able to "ping" psiads when they used their powers.

I tend to interpret the applicable lines of text as meaning that, yes, theoretically, a human could manifest Quantakinesis naturally. In practice, however, it doesn't happen yet, because you need a higher level of latency than actually yet occurs naturally, combined with the fact that its the least intuitive of the disciplines. Now, once humanity gains some decent knowledge of psionics, they *could* probably find someone with high latency and, with painstaking effort, figure out how to train that latency into useful skill. The problem is, the Prometheus Tanks provide a shortcut that avoids having to learn in quite the same way.

Interesting side note: According to the APG's material on psychomorphs (on p. 61), Nova Age psiads only have the barest beginnings of the potential to develop Quantakinesis. Given another 2,000 years to evolve (I'm unsure whether they were taking the Doyen's genetic experiements on psions into account), naturally-triggered psychomorphs could develop Quantakinesis.

Like Novas, for the most part they have to be self taught since they have themes and not Psion schools. Training works very well when everyone has the same potential, the same aptitudes, and thus presumably at least in theory the same powers. But each Psiad is a unique work of art.

Oh really? This I didn't know. Damn, another reason I need to pick up Aberrant now. I need to learn more about how this works. ::dry

At issue wasn't whether humans could naturally manifest this sort of thing, the whole presence of a tank proves nothing either way.

I think it would myself. Basically, if it doesn't exist naturally in humans, or Doyan, then the Doyan just made it up, right? That would imply that there may be other things they could just "make up". Probably not, since psi + taint pretty much seem to cover all the bases; I'm just saying that it just sounds odd to me this way.

I tend to interpret the applicable lines of text as meaning that, yes, theoretically, a human could manifest Quantakinesis naturally. In practice, however, it doesn't happen yet, because you need a higher level of latency than actually yet occurs naturally,

Ok, this makes perfect sense to me. I should have seen that. Thanks!

I just wanted to know about them because I have this cool idea for the game we're in right now, but I'm not sure if it would be bending the rules a little too far. Maybe you guys will tell me what you think?

Basically we're doing The Devil's Bargain, the Coalition adventure from AE:Deception. I've noticed some subtle and not so subtle references to the movie Aliens, especially in the "Ellen" Chadwick department (nightmares, doesn't want to go back, need her as a consultant, etc. I mean come on!). One of the NPCs has an 11 year old daughter that he's bringing with them on the mission (odd I know, but bear with me), so I thought it'd be fun to put a little "Newt" action in there. As in, she is left behind on the Stormcrow to keep her (relatively) safe, but while the team in on the planet, the Stormcrow gets captured somehow, and so does the crew. She manages to escape, but needs to avoid the pheromones. Now, she is already a "Cognitive" psychomorph, but has been taught Metabolic Efficiency (BK:1) by one of the team. They think she is just a telepath with strange dreams, and now a BK auxillary mode. I though that it could be an interesting way to make them wonder what is up if suddenly, days later, they find her on the Ark, hiding like Newt, and relatively immune to the pheromones, possibly even producing the "ignore me" one herself thanks to BK. This would make them wonder how she could do this, since they don't know anything about psychomorphs/psiads. The problem is that the rules specify that the pheromones are level 4 toxins, and one level of Adaptation is not going to help, unless possibly if you have a mask, but it's still not perfect. Producing them requires either two levels of Transmogrify (if you go by Terra Verde) or Biosculpt (BK:4; if you go by the adventure). So perhaps this is too far fetched, rules-wise. I know as a ST I can do what I want, but I try to keep it somewhat realistic so the players don't complain, but if she is some "new thing" anyway, why not?

I don't know, what do you guys think?

You could always invent a new Biokinetic Mode. Basically provides resistance/immunity to pheromone effects specifically. The idea being "awareness of your bio processes lets you spot and consciously resist bio-induced mental effects." Seems like it'd be appropriate at something significantly less than the 4 dot level ( its not like pheromones are *that* common, and resisting pheromones is not as potent as resisting, oh, nerve gas ).

I think it would myself. Basically, if it doesn't exist naturally in humans, or Doyan, then the Doyan just made it up, right? That would imply that there may be other things they could just "make up". Probably not, since psi + taint pretty much seem to cover all the bases; I'm just saying that it just sounds odd to me this way.

There's lots of things they could make up that wouldn't set presidents. People could come out of their DNA-moding tanks looking like cats. They had the example of novas, they knew lots about psi (and maybe quantum as well).

I can see the attraction to it. Doyen, as creatures of pure psi, don't take well to quantum. But in theory humans might be able to do so, and the Doyen could then 'ride' the human slave/animals. Also in theory you might end up with the raw power of the quantum users but governed by psi.

However it didn't work. (Which raises questions about what would have happened to Chibs over the very long term, aberrations? Simply don't get the raw power?). Of course the reason it didn't work had nothing to do with the effects on the humans and everything to do with the effects on the Doyen.

But saying something is possible with lots, and lots of seriously unethical genetic manipulation doesn't mean it's natural. It also doesn't mean it's even possible without lots of seriously unethical genetic manipulation.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
Use other things to explain what happened.

She was eating a food which partly counters the toxin.

She was seriously allergic to something so she's had no sense of smell the whole time.

Direct exposure is a level 4 toxin, but she's only had indirect exposure so she got lots less.

She found a gas mask and has been using it off and on. When she has been exposed it wasn't to the really nasty stuff.

Some combination.

Further, assume for the moment that she is some quantum wielding psion (maybe she was dunked as an baby). Be very sure that you want to introduce that because it will have other side effects, like being under a death sentence by every order, and every non-PC psion. And the bio-kenetics will be trying to steal her.

Actually her situation is only slightly less bad if she is a standard psiad. Every order on the planet will want her enough to toss the book of ethics out the window.

You could always invent a new Biokinetic Mode. Basically provides resistance/immunity to pheromone effects specifically. The idea being "awareness of your bio processes lets you spot and consciously resist bio-induced mental effects." Seems like it'd be appropriate at something significantly less than the 4 dot level ( its not like pheromones are *that* common, and resisting pheromones is not as potent as resisting, oh, nerve gas ).

You know I was thinking about that a little bit, but wasn't really considering it before. Maybe this is a good way of dealing with it. I mean, the established "modes" and "powers" are what the orders teach, but aren't necessarily what a psiad would come up with themselves. You see, that is where my knowledge of psiads falls short. Do they have powers along the lines of novas, each with some sort of "theme" from the outset? Or can the develop new ones as needs dictate, as would be the case with this girl alone in the Ark? If the latter, then sure she could develop some new, more specific power to deal with the pheromones, rather than developing the full capability of Biosculpting with which you can do so much. A more limited, pheromone-only power at a lower level makes more sense. I'll have to consider this one seriously. Now I just have to solve the problem of why the Stormcrow didn't just jump away before it was captured, and how the Coalition captured it, but leaving the 'porter unmolested for days so they can get home....

There's lots of things they could make up that wouldn't set presidents. People could come out of their DNA-moding tanks looking like cats. They had the example of novas, they knew lots about psi (and maybe quantum as well).

(snip)

But saying something is possible with lots, and lots of seriously unethical genetic manipulation doesn't mean it's natural. It also doesn't mean it's even possible without lots of seriously unethical genetic manipulation.

So basically you are saying that Quantakinesis wouldn't be "natural" in a human, just "possible" with sufficient manipulation? That makes sense. But I'm wondering why it's not natural, whereas the other aptitudes are. Obviously turning into a cat isn't natural, so let's take a closer example; say, the ability to communicate with and control animals. We've seen it in other games, and it is not covered by other aptitudes. It would still be a use of psi, however, so could a psiad develop that? If not, then what makes that, and QK, so different from the other uses of psi? And if so, what makes it different from QK? I know that the Doyan have built in arbitrary limitations in the aptitudes, which is why psiads are a good research base. Psi is psi, so if psi is in reach of humans, then anything within the reach of psi should be in the reach of humans. The rules stated here are guidelines or approximations, as I understand it. Perhaps the Aberrant rules give greater leeway? You see, it's just the seeming arbitrariness of this QK limitation that bothers me, and why Metaphysician's explanation makes the most sense to me. Psiads just aren't powerful enough to manifest QK. Done. This jives with the notion that they can't manifest Teleporation as a "primary" power either, because of the higher power required.

Further, assume for the moment that she is some quantum wielding psion (maybe she was dunked as an baby). Be very sure that you want to introduce that because it will have other side effects, like being under a death sentence by every order, and every non-PC psion. And the bio-kenetics will be trying to steal her.

Actually, that just describes her dad. ::wink (Well, except he wasn't a baby at the time.) It also links in with the mystery as to why she was born that way in the first place. Her dad was using a lot of QK when she was conceived, after all, and obviously not thinking about the possible concequences (like it interfering with her mother's contraception)... ::sly

Actually her situation is only slightly less bad if she is a standard psiad. Every order on the planet will want her enough to toss the book of ethics out the window.

Yup. Which is why she was kept in secret by the Indian government for so long before her dad found her. He and the rest still don't know this, but when they do it will be one more problem to have to deal with. ::devil

(Wow, there's a limit on post size here? I guess just don't anyone get me talking about Technocracy then! Those discussions tend to make for large posts.)

If not, then what makes that, and QK, so different from the other uses of psi?

Because QK is using water to manipulate fire.

Psi is psi, so if psi is in reach of humans, then anything within the reach of psi should be in the reach of humans.

In theory. But in theory if I flap my arms fast enough I should be able to fly. The reality is very different. And "within the reach of humans" isn't the same as "a single gifted psiad could stumble upon how to do this". The Wright brothers invented manned flight... but no individual by himself could have invented a 747. It's too big, too complex, too 'unnatural' if you will, and has too many things going on at the same time.

Using Psi to manipulate Quantum is a horribly unnatural thing to happen. The Doyen with the tanks can hammer a psi user into that configuration. Similarly, with enough research and insight and effort you can build cold enough ice tools that can manipulate fire. But it isn't easy and it isn't natural and it isn't the sort of thing people just stumble across.

Something to note, every instance of psi types manipulating quantum also involves them not being able to access the other psi order powers. Considering psiads, that might not be the result of Doyen tampering, that might be a limitation built into the idea.

Perhaps the Aberrant rules give greater leeway?

Less actually. Psiads can not buy any power that requies the user also have taint, they also can't do lots of other things like have Mega-physcial megas (and it doesn't stop there). My book isn't here but lots of the powers are banned from them. They can purchase the power "Disrupt" (which is sort of manipulating Quantum... well its opposing it anyway).

Another suggestion: Create a Merit and have her buy it. You could even use that existing merit that makes you immune to vampire blood's addiction properties. I think it's 5 points or so.

Other limits (if built as a nova):

----Only 12 NP

----No mega-physicals, and only two dots in the other mega-atts

----Max of 5 Psi

----Limited array of powers, and only two dots in any of them, and none with a Q-min of greater than 4

If built as a psion:

----Must decide on a pair of primary abilities (specifically, PK/EK, Clairsentience/Telepathy, Vitakinesis/Biokinesis)

----Primary abilities limited to 4 dots (but only with a Psi of 9/10) and cost CRx5 to raise

----Secondary abilities limited to 3 dots (includes Teleportation) and cost CRx7 to raise

----Psi can't be higher than 5 (CRx7) and Quantakinesis verbotten

For what it's worth...

FR

Re: antipheromone merit- I'd rate it as less than 5 points cost. Blood bonding is alot bigger and more common a hazard in a vampire game than pheromones are in a trinity game ( after all, every vampire can blood bond, and almost every vampire knows about this ability, unless specifically kept ignorant ).

Re: Technocracy- so, Finbar, what *do* you think about the Technocracy? I tend to think they are the best thing to come out of the Mage1.0 line, and the shift in Revised so they aren't so cardboard cutout villainous, but a faction you could legitimately play heroic PCs for, was a great move. ;)

I am definitely a fan, especially given some of the toys that Iteration X gets to play with. However, bear in mind that I'm more of a "mortals" player, so I tend more towards the "halves" (kinfolk, Enchanted, etc.). If you really want to play a heroic character, try a sorcerer rather than a mage; they may not be as powerful, but can be a lot weirder to play (especially when customized), and, even though a bit harder (rassenfrassen paradigm issues), they're somehow more rewarding, I think...

FR

Re: antipheromone merit- I'd rate it as less than 5 points cost. Blood bonding is alot bigger and more common a hazard in a vampire game than pheromones are in a trinity game ( after all, every vampire can blood bond, and almost every vampire knows about this ability, unless specifically kept ignorant ).
That's a point. Being immune to Vampires isn't a big deal if there are none. I'd guess it's 2 or 3, but as the ST you get to decide this. The other thing you get to decide is how broad you'd want to make this. All addictions? All pheromones? All twinkish alien powers? (And IMHO an alien pheromone working at all on a human is pretty far out there... there are species on this planet for whom pheromones are a seriously big deal, ours isn't one of them).

Using Psi to manipulate Quantum is a horribly unnatural thing to happen. The Doyen with the tanks can hammer a psi user into that configuration. Similarly, with enough research and insight and effort you can build cold enough ice tools that can manipulate fire. But it isn't easy and it isn't natural and it isn't the sort of thing people just stumble across.

Ok, I think I get what you mean by "unnatural" now. Not as in "can't happen" but more of "it doesn't occur by itself in nature". Gotcha. So basically still not really that different that the different power-levels idea, as in, it takes really, artificially cold ice to manipulate fire. So in theory it may still be possible for humans to evolve to some point where they could do it, but given the polarity of psi and taint, it would still be more likely that they would have to stick with one or the other. So if QK is in humanity's future, it will have to be artificially done, just like space flight, genetics, or the Prometheus chambers.

Another suggestion: Create a Merit and have her buy it. You could even use that existing merit that makes you immune to vampire blood's addiction properties. I think it's 5 points or so.

Possible, but right now I think that she is "special" enough as it is, so I'll probably go with the outcome-specific saltation method.

IMHO an alien pheromone working at all on a human is pretty far out there... there are species on this planet for whom pheromones are a seriously big deal, ours isn't one of them

That's a good point. It's got me thinking about this idea that in this adventure they not only give the aliens these amazing powers, but then basically hand them over to the BKs once they figure it out. The BK pc in our group just got them last night, and I'm wondering what may be unleashed here, both in terms of him, and his whole order. I don't think he'll go overboard, but how will Norca respond? Maybe it's not that big of a deal. I'm mostly thinking about now whether to require a Body Sculpt roll every time he uses it (as in, if the glands are there they automatically give off the pheromones), or allow him to leave them there, choosing when to emit and when not to, only counting them as "changes" as there are limits to that. The latter seems to make more sense in itself, but also seems very overpowered (no psi expenditure, no roll). But then if I limit it, what explanation do I use? Hmm... ::dry

If built as a psion:

----Must decide on a pair of primary abilities (specifically, PK/EK, Clairsentience/Telepathy, Vitakinesis/Biokinesis)

----Primary abilities limited to 4 dots (but only with a Psi of 9/10) and cost CRx5 to raise

----Secondary abilities limited to 3 dots (includes Teleportation) and cost CRx7 to raise

----Psi can't be higher than 5 (CRx7) and Quantakinesis verbotten

Got it. ::thumbup1

so, Finbar, what *do* you think about the Technocracy?

::laugh Funny.

Archived