Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad, although I would've put your defense at like 9 or 10... Assuming there's no real upper limit, of course. I hesitate to attempt the same for Verse. ::confused I mean, should the score levels reflect his current /potential/ or just abilities he's demonstrated thus far? Also, several of his scores can change very quickly, and with only a small effort on his part. So, do I post scores that represent the upper limits of his powers, or just what he has without activating anything other than his one purely defensive power, or somewhere in between, or what? ::wacko

I know it was my idea, by what are we using as our basis here? Are we putting Pax at 10 and normal humans at 1? Are we making ratings as 'percentages of Sivis' levels? or what? How does Lodestone's Int 7 compare to DMD's Int 5?

Going on a thumbsuck I'd put

The Samurai at

Strength 5

Intelligence 4

Speed 6

Offense 5

Defense 5

Versatility 6

If it helps, Raoul Orzaiz has a Nova Phile of:

Strength 6

Intellect 5

Speed 6

Offense 7

Defense 7

Versatility 8

& original stats that include:

Strength - Strength 5, Mega-Strength 1

Intellect - Intelligence 5

Speed - Fastest speed is Dexterity 5, Mega-Dexterity 3 with Enhanced Movement (for a sprint of 140 meters per turn)

Offense - Best offensive power is Mega-Strength (physically speaking), but with high-levels of social Mega-Attributes

Defense - Best defense of Stamina 5, Mega-Stamina 3 with Regeneration (physically speaking), but also has high-level Premonition

Versatility - Six different Mega-Attributes, 8 different Enhancements, & a single power.

So, I'd suggest guidlines something like:

Strength - simple total of Strength + Mega-Strength

Intellect - simple total of Intelligence + Mega-Intelligence

Speed - meters per turn, minus 20 (the human-level sprint bonus), divided by 20?

Offense - Um... Quantum + power rating for best offensive power?

Defense - Gee... Could be anything really - high Soak, good dodging, the ability to see danger coming?

Versatility - Total number of different Mega-Attributes, Enhancements, & powers, divided by 2, round up?

It's really tough to get good scales, beyond the basic Strength & Intellect, isn't it? ::confused

Hmmm... It looks like the first three catagories - Strength, Intellect, & Speed - just follow the human scale 1 to 5, & 6 to 7 is the Nova scale. Making Speed just Dexterity for characters with no superhuman movement powers, & 6+ for those with such powers.

The last three catagories - Offense, Defense, & Versatility - appear to apply to Nova powers only (probably counting different 'mastered' Techniques for suite powers as seperate powers in this sense).

Anyone want to check the other published characters with Philes & stats & compare? (Core has stats in the XWF book, & Corbin's stats are somewhere too, right?)

Err.. that would make Ian something like (didn't figure out speed) - on ProfPotts scale.

Strength - 2

Intellect - 5

Speed - 2

Offense - 6

Defense - 3

Versatility - 3

And while it looks okay and almost accurate, I would say that Ian could be alot more versatile then the number would hint at.

I don't think the scale should be simply stat-based. If it is to be an in character description of the general power level of a nova, yes, but it should also account for the fact that how a nova uses those powers is important. Granted, that could be covered by intelligence, but in most PCs it isn't. It should include a psych-profile, saying things like "great powers, but complete amateur at using them", "violent psychopathic" and things like that.

But let me see if I can make this work (by the prof method)

The Ghost (aka Vincenzo Gigante)

Strength 3 (no mega-str)

Intellect 3 (no mega-int either... ::confused )

Speed 8 (megadex/megawits + teleport) ?

Offense 4 (no offensive powers, but could be anywhere anytime) ?

Defense 7 (megasta, teleport, premonition...) ?

Versatility 5 (not counting the first enhancement on megastats)

Does this make any sense? I think we need a few cases to compare here, so I'll post one more.

Blaze (aka Nathan Wade)

Strength 6 (megastr)

Intellect 3

Speed 6 (flight, megadex, enhanced movement)

Offense 7 (Q-Bolt)

Defense 6 (force field and stuff...)?

Versatility 4

Defense in particular is a tricky one. Ghost is a hard man to catch and kill, but if you do pin him down he'd be killed outright by things Blaze would laugh off... So which is more important, survival in general or in a fight?

I think what we need is an agreement of what the top and bottom of the scale represent, or if there even is a top, and then arbitrarily rate the characters by their actions and proved abilities, not by teir stats. A character with the luck power, for example, could very well rate higher than he should on IC tests....

In my opinion, the scale should be from one to ten, cause that's an easy scale to relate to. Which means the really big guys would be mostly straight tens, and the rest of us would be somewhat below that.

Insect like being, female features, seems to take an automatic like to Will... Just a thought, a horrible one at that. Just think what this'll do to poor old William Masters. Just think what poor old William Masters will do to the soon to be poor young William Henesse!

You just did the worst thing a player can do, Ayre. You gave the ST crueler ideas than he had thought of himself, which means he might use it... Zia refers to spidergirl as his partner. I kinda doubt Natalia would go from puny baseline to trusted partner in three days....

Another thing:

Chieftain, I just want you to know why I keep posting things that sound impatient in relation to the Major. While everybody else is making a point of being in a hurry, you make a point of describing that the Major works slowly. Had it not been for the fact that the play by post medium messes up the space-time-continuinuinuum you'd be way behind the rest of us. We might have had to wait for you, but still. Just so you don't feel I'm tryin to rush you for no reason, or that Vinnie is an impatient bastard. He's just had a bad day, and your tea-drinking habits aren't making it better... ::wink

Strength - 2

Intellect - 7 (plus stupidly good at engineering, science, medicine and computers)

Speed - 2 (I can't remember formula for Sprint, but 2 looks good.... ::wink)

Offense - 5 (Derek is Quantuum 5, but the Acid thing he did would have been weaker than the Quantuum Bolt mechanic)

Defense - um..... 1? 2? 3-4 on a good power roll? Potentially 5 if he turns to air?

Versatility - 4

Here's a revised Verse, based upon what I've seen today:

Strength: 2

Intellect: 6

Speed: 3

Offense: 7

Defense: 7

Versatility: 10

The only change is that I raised my offense to 7 from 5. I forgot I could do certain things. It's so hard to keep track of what I'm capable of these days. ::confused

I completely agree with that. Having Quantum Imprint at any level should be enough for a high versatility rating. 10 would require a good rating on the imprint power, but I don't think we've seen anyone in the QZ stories that are more versatile than Nullifier.

Yeah, but 10 (out of 10) is a bit much.

I don't have the books to hand, but I don't think he could Imprint Mal's powers. Or anything else of lvl 4 or higher.

And against Baselines/plants/animals/Mechanical Monsters of Doom the options reduce a great deal.

I'd rate it at a 7, *maybe* an 8.

QB can be used against *everything*. Imprint is only good if you can find another Nova. (if I recall correctly)

Just to illustrate, Derek seems pretty weak. And I picked his versatility off what Powers he had, so his attack rating is pretty low.

But that really doesn't take into account that given a couple minutes he could fabricate and assemble a moderately powerful nuke, and set it to detonate. Anywhere. Anytime. That couldn't be disarmed because it's completely sealed (due to Shape Alteration), and covered in tilt-switches, and all the rest.

'Course Derek's a nice guy, really..... ::wink

O.k., so 10 may seem high, if you assume that the only powers besides my inherent abilities that I have access to are through Imprint. ::tongue However, were you privy to everything about my character and the way his powers worked, I'm sure you'd agree that 10 isn't really out of line for a Versatility score. ::sly

Core, with the 42 die attack, has an Offense of 8.

Scripture has a 9 (highest in the book). I think we should assume he has Mastery. Interestingly, Mastered Light Control (7 dots) would give him a 28[28] lethal attack.

I think we should assume the following:

1) Mal has 10's in all stats.

2) Therefore, none of us will ever have a 10 in anything.

The question is, should we limit "9" to Mastery?

Assuming we go with the method from the book:

And I put "5" down to peak human. Alex has a quantum enhanced Int with quantum enhanced Int skills (5 & 5, but no megas).

A "6" is above human (I think Mega 1 or 2).

A "7" is way above human (I think Mega 3 or 4)

A "8" is peak nova without Mastery.

-----------------------

Verse: QI adds to versitility. If it only adds to defense/offense some of the time (and you can't control when) then it doesn't add to defense/offense.

And I forgot.

"2" is average baseline (i.e. Baseline "2").

"3" would be above baseline average ("3")

"4" would be high baseline ("4")

I don't know if anyone has a "1" but it probably would mean the Green Hulk's Int or the Swamp Thing IQ.

Conclusion: There are way too many numbers used at the bottom of the scale and not enough available at the top.

You asked, I answered.

On a different subject, some things do affect more than one stat.

Strength is usable for Strength, but your offense can't really be more than 2 less than your Strength (thus with a Str of 8, Alex has a 6, even though Str is his only attack). {And this might be wrong. It might be that offense can't be lower than 1 less. I'll have to re-read the Teragen book}

Ghost: Teleport does add to speed, Defense, and Versitility (more the first and last than the middle).

RE: Count O's Versitility. Count O also has every single normal stat at 5 & lots of skills. Anything you want to do he is good at (thus an 8, although IMHO, a 7 would be better).

Then again he'll know the steps to your job better then you do if he focuses his attention on you long.

I'll be impressed if he can match Derek on Engineering by just watching.....

Int 5, Mega Int 2, Engineering 5, Mental Prodigy: Engineering...... ::wink

As a matter of interest, what power is it that allows him to do that?

O.k., so, after some extensive consultation with Alex, I'm re-posting these stats with one small modification, which makes them more or less final for now. If any of you still has trouble believing it, you should pay more attention to what my character has done thus far. ::sly

Verse (a.k.a Nullifier, etc.)

Strength: 2

Speed: 3

Offense: 7

Defense: 7

Versatility: 9

Chieftain, I just want you to know why I keep posting things that sound impatient in relation to the Major. While everybody else is making a point of being in a hurry, you make a point of describing that the Major works slowly. Had it not been for the fact that the play by post medium messes up the space-time-continuinuinuum you'd be way behind the rest of us. We might have had to wait for you, but still. Just so you don't feel I'm tryin to rush you for no reason, or that Vinnie is an impatient bastard. He's just had a bad day, and your tea-drinking habits aren't making it better... 

::blink ::blink ::blink ::smile

Don't worry about it. Vincent and Marc are totaly different people. It's totaly natural for Vince to act the way he is. after all, it's somebody he knows taking the fire.

Don't worry about it, i appreciate the fine art of Role-Playing but i reserve the right to return the favor in future ::wink

Anyway. Onto the Major's powers

Marc "The Major" Xiang

Strength: 3

Speed: (Will insert after checking the forumla)

Offense: 1

Defense: 2

Versatility: 5

So basicly i'm the weakest of the Nova's in the game so far. oh well.. At least my Purity rating is in the mid 50's ::devilangel ::tongue

Right - based on that, which Novas do you think you WOULD whip in a no holds barred, use all your resources contest - given current gameplay experience?

Eg.

Samurai Would

DMD - Lose / Stalemate

Alloy - Lose / Stalemate

Ghost - hmmm... could be very close, but Stalemate / Win

Lodestone - again - could be close, but I'll go out on a limb. Win ::tongue

... Not sure about the rest.

In part that is a ridiculous exercise because we need to define the fight. In a WXF cage match, none of you can "win" and run away. This maxes DMD's strengths and min's his weaknesses.

If a "I'm defending a baseline against you" most or all of you would win.

In a "You're defending a baseline against me" most or all of you would win.

In a "You are defending a house against me" all of you would lose.

I agree with Alex. It's very circumstance-dependant.

In a straight fight with any of ye, Derek Loses.

Given a week or two to plan and build things, and chosing the ground, *and* getting off the first shot..... I reckon Derek *might* just pull off a Stalemate.....

::biggrin

(assuming he doesn't go for the Nuke option..... ::devil )

Archived